Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1750494 times)

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #2840 on: September 23, 2014, 04:13:32 PM »
I might be a little reserved about shilling out a load of money if I knew the servers would promptly go right back offline once Windows 9 was released. Then it would feel like I shelled out money a second time only to realize I still couldn't play the original City of Heroes.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

General Sherman

• Minion
  • Drop Maggot!
« Reply #2841 on: September 23, 2014, 04:18:23 PM »
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

You just made my brain twitch o.O
We shall see what we shall see, when there is actually something to see.

Raven

• Underling
« Reply #2842 on: September 23, 2014, 04:20:48 PM »
Its also possible Paragon City was a Westworld amusement park for meta humans.  It explains the fake currency, why we all thought we defeated the same Frostfire, and why the same woman has been getting her purse stolen on every block of the City for over ten years.
Here was something I never understood. We as heroes should have been helping that woman. Like help her 10 times and get a boyscout badge or something. HA!

Medispider Reznov

• Minion
« Reply #2843 on: September 23, 2014, 04:35:39 PM »
I always beat up Gangs if they were hustling regular NPCs in Rogue Isles, watching gangs beat on each other was amusing tho

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #2844 on: September 23, 2014, 04:46:05 PM »
1. Yes, the game will be back unless something goes drastically wrong - doubtful since they are taking things very slowly and making NCSoft happy.

Glad to read this.  Obviously no guarantees, but from where things were when you were in the loop, you feel it looked very likely the deal would go through?

Medispider Reznov

• Minion
« Reply #2845 on: September 23, 2014, 04:51:43 PM »
Also I know I am greatly GREATLY offtopic on this, but I've been desperately looking for this for years - even before CoX was scheduled to go down.

My question is - Where do I find the old CoV Character creation music? The one that basically sounded like a bombastic version of the Main CoV Login theme

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #2846 on: September 23, 2014, 04:56:43 PM »
Some players prioritized certain things over other things, like the technique of martial arts kicks, and believed other things like the mechanics of warhulks or the physics of radiation blasts were things you were supposed to punt to the devs.  But other players felt differently, and the devs squared that circle by not caring about any of it, to any serious degree except where designers voluntarily chose to selectively use it to guide style.

I've been teaching martial arts professionally for 13 years, and I can't say the game's animations ever bothered me for being "unrealistic" for a number of reasons.  They were really no worse from that point of view than what you see in movies all the time.

Aside: What actually bugs me about martial arts in media these days is that, for some bizarre reason, it has become fashionable to display it in such a way that you can't actually see anything that's going on, as if that somehow makes it more impressive.  I suspect this is a mixture of just being a cinematographic (is that a word?) fad and the fact that many such actors don't actually have the skills they're trying to portray.  However, while I can speak from a fairly knowledgeable place on the martial arts side of things, I don't know enough about film to say much from that perspective.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #2847 on: September 23, 2014, 04:57:29 PM »
If we do get CoH back, and there ever is the chance to work on it more, then anyone in charge of animation would do well to look at Dark Souls and especially Dark Souls 2 when it comes to Titan Weapons done in a semi-realistic way without being too visually boring. While I dislike a lot of the changes to DS2, I can't fault them for making giant, eff-off swords and the like look visually powerful.

Without the source code, changing animations will be nigh on impossible; we need to tools to package updates to the PIGGS, and the tools to create the animations in the format CoH uses...

DeathSentry

• Underling
« Reply #2848 on: September 23, 2014, 06:07:58 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I understand it's this.

1. CoX will be back online if the deal doesn't go south
2. The game is on a shackle from NCsoft
3. The game will never receive an update.
4. We have to shill out a load of money yet again to buy the stuff we paid for before, and have to wait for X months to get back our Loyalty rewards?

Is that correct?
1. true..
2., 3. Am wondering about this..so we get the licensing to use the IP but without source code no updates really...and wondering about windows 9 compatability..so wondering what is the ultimate benefit of this effort then? Get it back, play till windows 9, stop... though I guess the other games (VO, CoT, H&V, AP Revival) can use some of the names, etc.. others please correct me if I'm wrong but is that it?

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #2849 on: September 23, 2014, 06:22:02 PM »
windows 9 compatability.., play till windows 9, stop
once Windows 9

-clears throat-
Ignore the windows 9 thing.
CoH isn't going to just EXPLODE the day windows 9 came out. Nate intended it as one of a variety of examples that makes APR a good idea.

The CoH server wouldn't be updated to an O.S. that the server couldn't run on, and even if the client wasn't compatible with Windows 9...There's the options that have been mentioned before like dual booting, or having an old machine set aside for CoH, or simply not updating to windows 9.

and if people haven't found reasons to move to Revival at that point, I'd seriously need to step up my game! xD
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2850 on: September 23, 2014, 06:25:17 PM »
and if people haven't found reasons to move to Revival at that point, I'd seriously need to step up my game! xD
Have you considered holding a Kickstarter once we (hopefully) get the game back and you acquire an IP license?  I threw $1,000 at City of Titans and I'd be happy to throw another $1,000 your way (in exchange for suitable in-game prezzies, naturally).  :)

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2851 on: September 23, 2014, 06:26:51 PM »
1. true..
2., 3. Am wondering about this..so we get the licensing to use the IP but without source code no updates really...and wondering about windows 9 compatability..so wondering what is the ultimate benefit of this effort then? Get it back, play till windows 9, stop... though I guess the other games (VO, CoT, H&V, AP Revival) can use some of the names, etc.. others please correct me if I'm wrong but is that it?

At this point, 2-4 are all up in the air until 1 can be more firmly settled. I believe (and IrishGirl can correct me if I'm wrong) that plans for the Atlas Park Revival project include some way to migrate data from the revived CoH to the updated engine. Naturally, though, this is still so early in the planning stages that nobody can confirm even that there will be a revived CoH, let alone whether it will be possible to import data from it to another game and what form that will take.

That said, from their comments here, everyone involved with the revival seems to be very aware that the playerbase doesn't want to start over twice, so I think it's definitely high in their list of priorities. :)

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2852 on: September 23, 2014, 06:29:01 PM »
So my option is "Or Death"...?

There's other options?

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2853 on: September 23, 2014, 06:29:38 PM »
1. true..

Some have said that Win 9 won't kill every other game and program in the known world - on top of that a LOT of people still use Windows XP.

Look at this chart: http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-windows-xp-market-share-2014-2

As of Feb of this year more people were STILL on Windows XP than Windows 8 in 2014.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2854 on: September 23, 2014, 06:40:52 PM »
Some have said that Win 9 won't kill every other game and program in the known world - on top of that a LOT of people still use Windows XP.

Look at this chart: http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-windows-xp-market-share-2014-2

As of Feb of this year more people were STILL on Windows XP than Windows 8 in 2014.

Ya I am sticking with Windows 7 as long as possible.  Unless Microsoft comes into my house and forces me to install Windows 9.  Which they just might do!  With their legions of footsoliders
1. true..

At this point I would say its too early to know exactly whats going to happen.  They could announce that CoH won't be brought back until virtual reality has become flawless allowing us to actually live as our heroes.  Until the deal is finished, and  Nate announces the terms of the deal and all that goodness.  It is all still very much so up in the air.

Medispider Reznov

• Minion
« Reply #2855 on: September 23, 2014, 06:55:03 PM »
Personally I'm coazy with Windows 7 and I have no plans on moveing

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2856 on: September 23, 2014, 07:05:43 PM »
Personally I'm coazy with Windows 7 and I have no plans on moveing
Damn straight, I've actively avoided moving anyone at our company to Win8 and certainly won't touch it at home.  Win7 is a nice next step up from XP, while Win8 is really just a mess.  Even Microsoft's own people call it "the new Vista" in-house.  They're tripping over themselves trying to get Win9 out the door, while laying a bunch of people off.  They really didn't get rid of Ballmer soon enough, though I'm not convinced the new guy is much better.

Beltor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2857 on: September 23, 2014, 07:08:20 PM »
Windows so far has had ways to run older software. Likely COH will still be runable on Windows 9 in some form of compatible mode. Personally I'm sticking to 7 for a while longer anyway.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2858 on: September 23, 2014, 07:09:06 PM »

Indeed, Windows XP is tried and proven, you won't see it going away for quite a while.  Only problems I can see is security, even THEN people tend to take things into there own hands and if you have professionals working on that, and they implement proper layering in security often you won't have a problem there.  Simply turning off unnecessary features for instance can significantly harden a system.

XP has very low requirements likewise, and I recall they do have 64 bit versions of it, so it's not likely to fall to far behind on modern machines, one could easily look up driver tweaks and other adjustments to get more out of the system on XP if they were really committed to it.  These factors are critically important for efficient networking and many people weren't supportive of the massive increase in resources vista imposed that windows 7 and 8 both have.  In fact windows 8 is about as unsupported as Vista is.  In fact even my last job most of us were at best hesitant to help someone on windows 8, we still did but it wasn't a surprise when someone on the other end blamed 8.

Personally I prefer 7 and XP to vista.  I found there were to many shenanigans with vista.  But I miss the ease of finding things in XP, alot.  But this is saying more about me than the OS's.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2859 on: September 23, 2014, 07:09:20 PM »
you misunderstand what I was saying. I liked rad blast. I just thought giving someone radiation poisoning and leukemia(possibly) for purse snatching was a tad bit extreme. punching them , yes...burning their face off, not so much.

I don't tend to use a lot of smileys.