Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1748235 times)

lamer

• Underling
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #2780 on: September 22, 2014, 11:46:33 AM »
As an atheist and non-Santa-Claus believer (sawry, dude) I can never say I'm praying for this, as prayer has been conclusively proven to do nothing whatsoever.

At the same time, I WANT this, and I HOPE for this, and I'm totally with you on this. "Please,oh, please, oh, please" is not really a prayer. But damned if I haven't been muttering it anyway. Not sure why. Maybe it's just human nature showing itself despite our advancements and my attempts to evolve beyond it all.

OK, can we keep the baiting for a religious argument out of this topic? This is not a topic for such discussion.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 12:13:23 PM by lamer »

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #2781 on: September 22, 2014, 12:22:08 PM »
a quote:
Why did Staff Fighting have a breakdancing move, where the character would spin around on its back, as part of its animation? Eye of the Storm was the power in question, I believe. Looked a bit silly and out of place, IMO.

a response:
Because if you watch videos of staff-based martial arts there are actual moves very much like that. As a martial art staff fighting tends to be rather acrobatic and dance-like, much like capeoira.

My comment:
I hated that animation and refused to take the power because of it, or rather, I respec'd out of it first chance I got.  Same went for Hail of Bullets in the Duel Pistols set, I never took that power.

I feel your pain there, I so wish I could have done Ryu as a Titan Weapon/Dark Armor Brute* but the animation for the last power in Titan Weapons was just..NOT an attack he would ever do.

*OH GOD THE ENDURANCE COSTS OF THAT, OH GOD  :gonk:

kierthos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2782 on: September 22, 2014, 12:23:47 PM »
Yeah... if/when we get the game back, we need an alternate animation for Eye of the Storm.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #2783 on: September 22, 2014, 12:26:39 PM »
I liked the animations with Eye of the Storm and Hail of Bullets (Or was it Bullet Rain?). They both seemed dumb and impractical, but still cool the first few hundred times I saw them.
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Zerohour

• Lieutenant
  • Trapped in the Speed Force
« Reply #2784 on: September 22, 2014, 01:43:40 PM »
As an atheist and non-Santa-Claus believer (sawry, dude) I can never say I'm praying for this, as prayer has been conclusively proven to do nothing

Was it really necessary to make this distinction to a bunch of internet people?  When you wish for something to happen, you're praying. Every time you think to yourself "oh please let this work" or something to that effect...you're praying. You don't have to be religious to pray.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2785 on: September 22, 2014, 01:55:37 PM »
Eye of the Storm was actually one of my favorite animations in that set.   Not my absolute favorite - that'd be Sky Splitter, the final power in the set.  That one felt like it hit really hard.

But Eye of the Storm got a lot of use.

As for "why"... well, I can't speak for the odd breakdancing part at the end, but the rest of it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENqMy1BU2-Y (although, now that I watch that video, #10 would have made a nice animation)

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #2786 on: September 22, 2014, 02:19:38 PM »
OK, can we keep the baiting for a religious argument out of this topic? This is not a topic for such discussion.

Wholeheartedly agree.

That, and I hate when people make statements that have no links to back up such statements. You can't make a statement like "conclusively proven" without linking to said study that "conclusively proved" it.

Otherwise, just leave it alone. ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:30:13 PM by AlienOne »
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2787 on: September 22, 2014, 03:35:05 PM »
Vile Harkonnen! Keep your rags on!
T for Teen, sir!

Strictly speaking, he did not specify whose clothes he would be taking off. Maybe he's going around to the homes of all those weird people who dress their pets up like they were people and engaging in some vigilante pet justice?

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #2788 on: September 22, 2014, 04:38:53 PM »
Strictly speaking, he did not specify whose clothes he would be taking off. Maybe he's going around to the homes of all those weird people who dress their pets up like they were people and engaging in some vigilante pet justice?

I've met FFM. I'm hoping he's planning to take the clothes off [redacted], [redacted], or [redacted]. Because the sight of FFM in the nud falls under "glory that mortal eyes were never meant to see".

Make of that what you will.
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2789 on: September 22, 2014, 05:29:12 PM »
Right, that's it! I'm getting fed up with waiting now.

Either give me my game back now, or I start taking clothes off!

Just don't go stark raving mad please.  There is plenty of that here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSX3piF5ww8

And some more of that here......http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/Update%201-10/

Quote "Also due to laziness and poor time management skills on the part of the workdwarves, no clear glass was ever produced, and As Urdimanil went insane. He started babbling at dwarves nearby, then ran halfway across the bridge, dove into the channel, removed his pants, and went streaking haphazardly across the hallways until he reached his room. He has been locked in to prevent his lack of garb from upsetting the more sensitive ladydwarves. Note - he later died of thirst."

Though I think Senkis the second was the best...nmmmhmmm...

http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Headshoots/Update%2014/

I actually enjoyed that second lets play more than the first one....
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #2790 on: September 22, 2014, 05:34:07 PM »
I've met FFM. I'm hoping he's planning to take the clothes off [redacted], [redacted], or [redacted]. Because the sight of FFM in the nud falls under "glory that mortal eyes were never meant to see".

Make of that what you will.

Don't you mean Feyd-Rautha, not the Baron?

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #2791 on: September 22, 2014, 05:39:06 PM »
And now for something completely different...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRU6tQdyYqQ
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #2792 on: September 22, 2014, 05:49:05 PM »
Don't you mean Feyd-Rautha, not the Baron?

No, he means me alright... For I am glorious!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2793 on: September 22, 2014, 06:10:28 PM »
Staff fighting - pained me. I have done bojitsu for 39 years now and have done great weapons fighting in the SCA for 24. I even offered to send video's of strikes and combinations that would look good in the game, instead we got something I refuse to play.

It is ugly and with none of the flowing smooth movement or the quick strikes that I love.

As a martial artist - I can't play it - shudders.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #2794 on: September 22, 2014, 06:18:03 PM »
Vile Harkonnen! Keep your rags on!
T for Teen, sir!
Can't we all just get along? :D Btw I like cake and pie for the win :D
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Shard

• Lieutenant
    • City of Titans
« Reply #2795 on: September 22, 2014, 06:34:56 PM »
Staff fighting - pained me. I have done bojitsu for 39 years now and have done great weapons fighting in the SCA for 24. I even offered to send video's of strikes and combinations that would look good in the game, instead we got something I refuse to play.

It is ugly and with none of the flowing smooth movement or the quick strikes that I love.

Typically experienced to experts have the hardest time coping with reasonable approximations and alterations for enhanced excitement and drama. Two almost twenty years for tabletop to recover from "experts."
Missing Worlds Media - Lead Pain in the .. well everything.

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2796 on: September 22, 2014, 07:39:19 PM »

I suspect at least part of the problem comes from having to animate each "move" (power) independently so that they could return to a default status, allowing attacks to be chained together in any order. It's hard when you have to go back to an identical stance after every move to make it look flowing or smooth, unfortunately.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #2797 on: September 22, 2014, 08:20:18 PM »
No, he means me alright... For I am glorious!

Indeed you are Baron! Indeed you are.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2798 on: September 22, 2014, 10:07:34 PM »

I often got bothered by Katana's myself.  Actually the only melee weapon sets I enjoyed were claws, titan weapons and staff but I also felt that staff fighting had it's silly sides here and there.  With katana's, clipping got to me severely every time with certain outfits.  Granted i'd still prefer other sets, statistically over the katana as well, simply because it wasn't a bursty set(I prefer bursts over smaller hits, and even claws felt more bursty than a katana).  But the clipping was an especially annoying thing for me.  Then course theres the mentality of bad roleplayers and katana's, but thats more due to a certain faulty mindset some people have that tends to ruin things for those who have a more level headed view of the weapon.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2799 on: September 22, 2014, 11:00:40 PM »

Haha a lot of the Kanata attacks are wrong as well you would never do a jumping spin for an aoe. There is a Ryu that does a leaping attack. Flashing steal is one that is a common cut. Spinning upper cut (Golden dragon) makes me laugh