Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1748093 times)

darkgob

• Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #2720 on: September 21, 2014, 03:47:43 AM »
I hated the random KB in Robot laser blasts.  LASERS.  Those stupid things broke up the team I had with my wife's Plant/Energy dom :(

Why?  Entangle and Roots both do -KB.  If anything a Plant Dom was the perfect partner.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2721 on: September 21, 2014, 03:52:52 AM »
Why?  Entangle and Roots both do -KB.  If anything a Plant Dom was the perfect partner.

Timing, and their stupid 'run into melee' - it annoyed her to no end.

I had much better luck with Zombies and Thugs, even with the suicidal Arsonist.
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2722 on: September 21, 2014, 03:53:02 AM »
Yeah, the demons talked back to much. Had to fire them.

yes that blasted demon roar......anytime I had a demon MM on the team with me I had to mute game volume to turn off speakers.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2723 on: September 21, 2014, 03:57:54 AM »
I'd like an opinion please;  having just rewatched TRON, TRON UPRISING and TRON LEGACY I've been trying to think of what TRON would be in CoH.

Scrapper is the most likely class or else brute. Then again brute may be more Rinzler then TRON.

But the power sets?  Shield? Doesn't have a throw shield attack but you can still make an energy shield for thematic reasons.  Energy armor?  Seems fitting.   Electric armor?

For melee:  staff fighting? staffs were used as weapons in the franchise.  Street justice?  Martial arts?

In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2724 on: September 21, 2014, 04:17:34 AM »
Timing, and their stupid 'run into melee' - it annoyed her to no end.

I had much better luck with Zombies and Thugs, even with the suicidal Arsonist.

How did zombie damage hold up to bots? I had a reasonably old bots, but wanted to try zombies.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #2725 on: September 21, 2014, 04:21:33 AM »
I'd like an opinion please;  having just rewatched TRON, TRON UPRISING and TRON LEGACY I've been trying to think of what TRON would be in CoH.

Scrapper is the most likely class or else brute. Then again brute may be more Rinzler then TRON.

But the power sets?  Shield? Doesn't have a throw shield attack but you can still make an energy shield for thematic reasons.  Energy armor?  Seems fitting.   Electric armor?

For melee:  staff fighting? staffs were used as weapons in the franchise.  Street justice?  Martial arts?

Kinetic Melee. Even has a ranged attack. As for the defense, costume auras make about any set work but shield with one of the pure energy shields on your costume would do the trick.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:26:39 AM by Rejolt »
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2726 on: September 21, 2014, 04:39:49 AM »
Kinetic Melee. Even has a ranged attack. As for the defense, costume auras make about any set work but shield with one of the pure energy shields on your costume would do the trick.

absolutely Kin Melee. The animations even look right.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2727 on: September 21, 2014, 04:51:46 AM »

Personally I'd make a katana/super reflexes scrapper. There's a laser katana you can earn (or maybe get with a costume set I can't remember) and sr has very little gfx. You could even turn the gfx off if you really wanted a true tron look. I just think the tron concept is not to get hit so it'd make sense to have defence rather than resist. That's just my two cents though.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2728 on: September 21, 2014, 05:33:53 AM »
I hated the random KB in Robot laser blasts.  LASERS.  Those stupid things broke up the team I had with my wife's Plant/Energy dom :(

There was usually knock immunity applied to immobs....I'd also say though, that incarnated masterminds with reactive actually melted enemies lightning fast, so much so knockback couldn't do anything.  Then there was the knockback to knockdown IO.....
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

tripthicket

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2729 on: September 21, 2014, 05:52:23 AM »
An ancient memory just poked at me, and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this issue.

Why did Staff Fighting have a breakdancing move, where the character would spin around on its back, as part of its animation? Eye of the Storm was the power in question, I believe. Looked a bit silly and out of place, IMO.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2730 on: September 21, 2014, 06:05:49 AM »
An ancient memory just poked at me, and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this issue.

Why did Staff Fighting have a breakdancing move, where the character would spin around on its back, as part of its animation? Eye of the Storm was the power in question, I believe. Looked a bit silly and out of place, IMO.

Its funny when done in granite armor

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #2731 on: September 21, 2014, 06:37:29 AM »
Eagle's Claw looked better in granite armor.

POW!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2732 on: September 21, 2014, 07:44:22 AM »

The funny issue of impractical animations could be said about some of the weapon draw animations, particularly both "Broadsword" and titan weapons.  Dual weapons to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYiXEPHLeUY

This video explains it all as to why drawing a sword from the back is a bad idea.

Course the breakdance move with staff fighting was funny in a way, I didn't mind it to much, guess the developers were borrowing to much from the matrix.  At least they didn't cave into another, annoying sword misconception I know always pisses people off when it's proven wrong, go figure :).  But then alot of animations were silly when it came to weapons in CoX.

Edit: I'd also say that about dual pistols the sheer sillyness of rain of bullets.  The one attack that physically isn't possible unless the character was firing very low velocity rounds.  I always roleplayed it as mini grenades or something. 
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #2733 on: September 21, 2014, 10:16:31 AM »
... our forums ... were far better than most

I enjoyed reading parts of the forums, particularly the player-created guides and the folders about archetypes and power sets. Often, I would read someone's post about a power set combination that they loved playing, and their passion and enthusiasm would inspire me to go into the game and play.

There's no shame in admitting that you had no interest in discussing the dry mathematics of the game.

Thank you, Arcana. Your statement of compassion for the mathematically challenged has given me the courage to come forward and speak.

Hello, my name is Todogut, and I... I had no interest in the mathematics of the game.

There! I actually said it--out loud! Oh, my goodness! What a feeling of relief... it's oddly empowering.

Let me explain: when I was a kid, my grandma bought Rubik's Cubes for both me and my brother. He was good at math and science while I preferred writing and drawing. Hence, my brother was fascinated by the Cube, and he spent hours playing with it and studying it... until he mastered it.

At his college fraternity parties, my brother's standard ice-breaking conversation starter was to walk up to people (often co-ed guests), present the Cube, and invite them to twist it around and mix up the colors as much as they liked. Then he would take back the Cube and twist it in a rapidly rotating pattern, while smiling and looking the person in the eyes (not looking at the Cube), and solve it within seconds. Yes, this party trick really did impress smart college girls.

Me? The first time I twisted my Cube, I quickly became dismayed when I could not figure out how to return it to its original state. Frustrated, I put the Cube down. And never felt compelled to pick it up again.

It was a similar experience for me in CoH with invention origin enhancement sets. Oh, I understood that enhancement sets could make my characters more powerful by adding more bonuses than standard enhancements... and I collected purple enhancement sets and stored them inside a base; but, I never equipped any of them.

I read on the CoH forums, someone described enhancement sets as "essentially, a big puzzle". I don't like puzzles.

One night in-game, my supergroup buddy, who is a whiz at math, asked me, are you using sets yet? I answered, no, they're too complicated. Aghast at my response, he instructed me to view the Combat Attributes or "Real Numbers" display and patiently explained how sets made his character's numbers better than mine.

The next time we played together, he asked, have you slotted any sets yet? No, I hadn't. He argued, but, we looked at the numbers last time. Yeah, that was the too complicated part.

Another player once advised me on how to get over my sets hang-up: just go into Mids' and play around with them. Mm... that wasn't my idea of "play".

Instead, I was happy with crafting level 50 Invention Origin enhancements. They were pretty powerful, and they were simple. For some powers, just slot three accuracy and three damage enhancements, and my toon was good to go.

I didn't have to keep track of esoterically named sets and calculate their combined bonuses and try to figure out if my scheme optimized my character's performance for his (or her) roleplaying concept... ugh! Not my idea of "fun".

But, I had tolerance and compassion for those who loved sets.

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #2734 on: September 21, 2014, 01:12:47 PM »
But, I had tolerance and compassion for those who loved sets.

Gotta do something with that cash and merits.

Anyways...this is awesome  in a can and I sincerely hope you can pull it off, if you guys need funding for it yell and i will go on the ramen diet and put every last extra cent I have into the pot for it.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2735 on: September 21, 2014, 01:41:43 PM »
Gotta do something with that cash and merits.

Anyways...this is awesome  in a can and I sincerely hope you can pull it off, if you guys need funding for it yell and i will go on the ramen diet and put every last extra cent I have into the pot for it.

Is that the same pot you are using to cook your ramens?

mmmm, copper flavored ramen.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #2736 on: September 21, 2014, 02:22:52 PM »
Pfft Pots, the ramen i buy is in styrofoam cups.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #2737 on: September 21, 2014, 02:24:43 PM »
Pfft Pots, the ramen i buy is in styrofoam cups.

Cups!? CUPS!? Luxury!!

The Ramen I buy is 20 years past its sell by date, has been eaten 3 times already, is made out of straw, AND I have to eat it out of a muddy puddle!

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2738 on: September 21, 2014, 02:29:42 PM »
How did zombie damage hold up to bots? I had a reasonably old bots, but wanted to try zombies.

It wasn't the damage so much as the lack of random KB and more dependable combat actions.

I ran a Zombie/Time and was reasonably satisfied with their effectiveness. 

I kept my Bots/Traps as a solo toon and it played just fine, pets don't care about KB :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 02:36:03 PM by Teikiatsu »
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
« Reply #2739 on: September 21, 2014, 02:31:25 PM »
Cups!? CUPS!? Luxury!!

The Ramen I buy is 20 years past its sell by date, has been eaten 3 times already, is made out of straw, AND I have to eat it out of a muddy puddle!

You were lucky...  ;D
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen