Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1749305 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #2580 on: September 19, 2014, 07:26:50 PM »
I will say though that whenever i 'deleyed' an attack in an attack chain that had previously missed, I was always able to get a hit as long as my accuracy was 80+.  In fact you could if you fought for a long time notice patterns in the to hit roles in that they seemed to be timer based.

As the unofficial tohit system moderator, I can say no such effect ever turned up.  Moreover, once real numbers was added I kept *all* my logs with all options turned on to investigate.  Because of my many long-ranged tests of the game combined with my gameplay, I have a huge number of tohit rolls I can analyze.  Because of the many suggestions that the tohit rolls were biased in some way, I did an analysis of tohit rolls in which I analyzed first ten million, then over 100 million tohit rolls for randomness, using most of the randomness tests I am aware of.  There was only one non-random signal detected in the tohit roll values, and that was due to the way the game rounded off tohit rolls for display which affected the hundredth (of a percent) digit and skewed it in an odd way.  In other words, when your tohit roll was 72.35%, the "5" could have actually been slightly non-random.

This was actually on-going testing; if the game was still runnning my next stop was going to be to retest with five hundred million rolls and then one billion.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #2581 on: September 19, 2014, 07:38:27 PM »
The other thought (which I considered more likely at the time) was that it was a mea culpa to the dark miasma defender for his crappy animation time. Sort of

The powers system doesn't work in a way that something like that would be possible. The code is generic and rigid, and the data for the power fills in the effects, with some limited "If X" conditions that can be applied. Something like forcing a hit is part of the code and works the same for every power with no way to override it.

I think it's more likely a psychological phenomena that makes it seem to hit more often under certain circumstances.

However, the sure way to find out is to -- at the first available opportunity -- roll a dark defender and enable logging so that the hit rolls get saved to a file. Do a test with normal usage of Twilight Grasp on a target at full health. Then, repeat the test, with the same number of uses of the power, with a higher level friend one-shotting the enemy just as you activate the power. Compare the statistical distribution of the reported hit rolls.

I'd be up for helping to put together such an experiment if and when conditions make it possible.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2582 on: September 19, 2014, 07:38:31 PM »
I can say from long experience if I popped a small Yellow inspiration on my blaster - my next attack almost always missed - it was so obvious that I would use a lesser damage attack that activated quick and then the major attack.

I played the game for 8+ years and it was a standing joke - I would face palm if I nuked right after the small Yellow and whiffed. I would go arrrgggghhh - forgot! I know Arcana you are going to tell me it was not true but it happened with Clockwork regularity.

Pherdnut

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2583 on: September 19, 2014, 07:39:34 PM »

You're joking, but sometimes that's not far off from the truth. -facepalms-
Not to say that's how it's going in this case, since I don't know personally.
Gah, I wish I could be a fly on the wall at those meetings. lol

Is it meetings or is it more waiting interminably long periods of time for e-mails?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #2584 on: September 19, 2014, 07:47:39 PM »
I can say from long experience if I popped a small Yellow inspiration on my blaster - my next attack almost always missed - it was so obvious that I would use a lesser damage attack that activated quick and then the major attack.

Nonsense.

Everybody knows that Aim+Build Up is a much better way to guarantee a miss on a blaster than using a yellow insp.

Kidding, of course, but I know the feeling well.

It's also a perfect example of confirmation bias in action. Even though 1 out of every 20 attacks on average misses, you're more likely to notice it happening in conditions where you really want a hit, such as right after using damage or accuracy increasing cooldowns. Eventually, after repeated occurrences, it starts to feel like a correlation where in reality there is none.

And though I know that on an intellectual level it's impossible, and remember plenty of times when I hit for massive damage, I can't shake the feeling that I *almost always* missed after using Aim+BU.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #2585 on: September 19, 2014, 07:49:17 PM »
Is it meetings or is it more waiting interminably long periods of time for e-mails?

In this day and age I'd say emails are quite a bit more likely than people from different countries regularly sitting around a room together. Even conference calls can be problematic with time zone differences.

I'd be surprised if they had even had one face-to-face meeting at this point. Maybe if there was a convenient time and place when representatives would be there anyway, but otherwise why would you bother until the very final stages?

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2586 on: September 19, 2014, 07:51:55 PM »

I played the game for 8+ years and it was a standing joke - I would face palm if I nuked right after the small Yellow and whiffed. I would go arrrgggghhh - forgot! I know Arcana you are going to tell me it was not true but it happened with Clockwork regularity.

I remember having  this thought too.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #2587 on: September 19, 2014, 08:05:25 PM »

I thought I was the only one! It seemed like a sick joke.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #2588 on: September 19, 2014, 08:08:43 PM »
After all, Achmeds Raison would dictate it (it's not spellt that way?).

FYI - that's "Occam's Razor".  (Paraphrased):  When given a choice between multiple possible choices, the simplest one is usually the correct one.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #2589 on: September 19, 2014, 08:25:19 PM »
We have to be able to come up with some kind of "law" that we can call "Achmed's Raison!" It's too cool a name not to use! :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2590 on: September 19, 2014, 08:26:08 PM »
FYI - that's "Occam's Razor".  (Paraphrased):  When given a choice between multiple possible choices, the simplest one is usually the correct one.

lol. I knew I'd get someone. :)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2591 on: September 19, 2014, 08:29:39 PM »

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2592 on: September 19, 2014, 08:33:55 PM »

I think it's more likely a psychological phenomena that makes it seem to hit more often under certain circumstances.

I do believe Codewalker just called me nuts. :)

While I'd be willing to help with the test you suggest, in order for it to be confirmable, we would need larger numbers than we could provide.

Like I'm telling you anything new.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #2593 on: September 19, 2014, 08:34:59 PM »
Nonsense.

Everybody knows that Aim+Build Up is a much better way to guarantee a miss on a blaster than using a yellow insp.

QFT.

Also:

Achmed's Raison - I KILL YOU!
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #2594 on: September 19, 2014, 08:35:27 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to have to start using the term "Achmed's Raisin" in conversations just to see the reactions.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #2595 on: September 19, 2014, 08:37:06 PM »
AoE speed boost, such a wonderful thing, and still the complaints  I SAID DONT SPEEDBOOST ME!

I had bad video display/graphics issues with SB, it made it very hard to play until I upgraded my rig.
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2596 on: September 19, 2014, 08:42:20 PM »
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2597 on: September 19, 2014, 09:22:15 PM »
Yeah the streakbreaker was...nice, I guess. It meant you hit once for every ten swings IIRC (so 9 misses in a row, the next to hit check was guaranteed to hit. The reverse was hilarious though; you could hit I think 9 times in a row and were guaranteed to MISS on the next (10th) attack. REALLY annoying if that was your NUKE or a HUGE hitting attack.
Nope. Streakbreaker only worked on forcing misses into hits. It never forced a hit into a miss. Ever. (For players *and* NPCs.)

And it forced hits based on the tohit of the hits involved. Read up on it. It wasn't "nice...I guess". It was pretty awesome. http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Streakbreaker#The_Streak_Breaker
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2598 on: September 19, 2014, 09:37:03 PM »
Oh, I am thinking how ANY power that has a ToHit component has a 5% chance of failing (or a 5% chance of hitting?), no matter how high your accuracy and how low the target's defense, is that right? I know for a fact that there has been plenty of times where I should have never missed and I still whiffed.

Personally, while frustrating, I actually like both aspects of this hit/miss, including the StreakBreaker, as it gives a lowbie a chance to still hit his/her target. Sadly, if you are that low on the acc table, the damage you do is probably guaranteed to be lame sauce. Still, who didn't feel EPIC hitting a purple AV even if you did 5 dmg  8)

See, it is stuff like this that made CoX sooo much better than any other game, they really put a lot of effort into the game mechanics.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2599 on: September 19, 2014, 09:41:52 PM »

You're joking, but sometimes that's not far off from the truth. -facepalms-
Not to say that's how it's going in this case, since I don't know personally.
Gah, I wish I could be a fly on the wall at those meetings. lol
Or the chair that downix farts on.