Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1747470 times)

Pherdnut

• Lieutenant
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #2320 on: September 16, 2014, 01:23:35 AM »
Hey guys,

Have you seen the latest from Angelus Animi?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTWXcAsMHo

How hard would it be to have live DJs at the Pocket D, I wonder?

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2321 on: September 16, 2014, 01:27:36 AM »
On the other side of the coin, I had a elec^3 blaster I was running +1 or +2/x8 even before becoming incarnate.  And my IO build, I'd call a bit haphazard.  I was lazy when IOs came out so my build was "what sort of sets can I fit in for some decent bonuses without requiring me to respec. And then there's also I tend to lean more towards concept over build.  So I did things like every attack that could take it, I put in the stun proc from the end mod set (can't remember the name off hand).  And with elec^3 that's almost every single attack :)

I remember running in a SG team, and after running a few missions, someone wanted to see what a farm mission was like since they hadn't done one before. One person had one, so we went in, the majority the team never having experienced one before.  Lots of death. I was on a low level def at the time (not even able to slot DOs yet)  I said I was going to bring on some who was a bit more durable.  Came back with my elec blaster. First comment I saw when I reentered the mission' "You wanted someone more durable and you got a blaster?"

Short circuit + power sink + ball lightning, everything was down to brawl.  After mowing through a few groups, I got the comment "OK, you weren't kidding about the more durable thing"

It is all anecdotal, everyone has a story of where they couldn't do something with one type of character, followed by someone who says they were a killing machine, a lot comes down to personal okay style and interest.  Like, I never could get the hang of playing a Kheld. Which of course means, someone will come along saying something like  "I soloed the AVs in the STF with my PB!" :)

you are not alone...

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2322 on: September 16, 2014, 01:36:04 AM »
you are not alone...

I tanked recluse on the stf with all towers up on a fire fire blaster..og course i was playing keep away but i was tanking

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #2323 on: September 16, 2014, 01:46:22 AM »
I tanked recluse on the stf with all towers up on a fire fire blaster..og course i was playing keep away but i was tanking

Spider-man "tanked" tons of baddies well above his pay grade thanks to (coughpopularityandhackwritingcough) dodging and bravely running away! Why can't we?!

Also... Inspirations are as good as the writers being on your side on COH. Right?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:59:16 AM by Rejolt »
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #2324 on: September 16, 2014, 01:48:25 AM »
Joking or not, I would strongly caution against making arbitrary changes to core mechanics like aggro caps just because you think it might be "better" or have a personal opinion.

There's a reason that a lot of people liked playing CoH, a reason that even the original developers achieved by accident and didn't fully understand. The more you tinker, the more you risk accidentally removing that reason.

As an amusing side note: http://ts4news.com/post/94541924952/89-features-missing-from-the-sims-4

People notice when you start messing with things in their favorite game--or as in this case, taking away scores of things away that people liked in the "predecessor." Sometimes I think devs don't think we'll notice if they change "one little thing."

We do.

Let's hope that the people working on spiritual successors try to remember this every day when going in to work. You can certainly make a game your own and give it its own flavor, but you can't fundamentally change things or take things away without people noticing.

I don't think there's another archetype that I enjoy half as much as I did the Warshade. There just isn't anyone out there (short of Atlas Park Revival) that seems to want to make something that plays like it. I guess that's why I am so excited about APR--it's an opportunity to get back to playing the archetype I really connected with in an MMO.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:54:50 AM by AlienOne »
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Power Arc X

• Minion
« Reply #2325 on: September 16, 2014, 02:01:30 AM »
I really wish that the devs had put a ranged aoe immobilize power into the secondary powers for Blasters instead of the pbaoe powers. That would've at least kept the mobs using their ranged attacks against you. That would've allowed you to then have your ranged Def at least give you a fighting chance to stay alive vs using a pbaoe powers that made you have the mobs surround you and then pound you into a pulp and get a free hospital trip.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 02:07:00 AM by Power Arc X »

Power Arc X

• Minion
« Reply #2326 on: September 16, 2014, 02:02:52 AM »
That was concerning the blasters secondary powers ^^^

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2327 on: September 16, 2014, 02:14:38 AM »
I really wish that the devs had put a ranged aoe immobilize power into the secondary powers for Blasters instead of the pbaoe powers. That would've at least kept the mobs using their ranged attacks against you. That would've allowed you to then have your ranged Def at least give you a fighting chance to stay alive vs using a pbaoe powers that made you have the mobs surround you and then pound you into a pulp and get a free hospital trip.

I dont get these people who made these blasters that constantly died at every turn.. I made plenty of blasters.. and I didnt die every 32 seconds and rarely did I build any defense into any of them.. in fact I only did it with one..

Ive always thought that many of the people who played blasters probably started playing as a scrapper or tank first.. then tried a blaster and played with the same scrapperlock mentality..  and died... a lot... and then went.. blasters suck.. I started playing with a blaster.. so I kind of learned.. who was dangerous to me and who I could take down quick.. and learned how to use other skills to limit my aggro and stay alive..

But even then I didnt die ALL the time..

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2328 on: September 16, 2014, 02:22:34 AM »
All you people are crazy.

A fully slotted RotP can do 650+ damage. So all you really need is to run into any crowd, nuke, faceplant, RotP.

Embrace your true nature blasters.  :)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

halcyonforever

• Underling
« Reply #2329 on: September 16, 2014, 02:51:29 AM »
Yeah. My blaster was ice/ice and played very differently than my scrapper.

I mostly did a lot of kiting because of ice's slow effect. Made lots of things very doable.

I mostly lived as my mastermind though. Constantly summoning buffing and sending soldiers to dir

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #2330 on: September 16, 2014, 03:16:18 AM »

A fully slotted RotP can do 650+ damage. So all you really need is to run into any crowd, nuke, faceplant, RotP.

I actually had a Fire/Fire Blaster that would do this quite regularly... It was a fun--albeit very different--sort of playstyle. It certainly amused my teammates! lol
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2331 on: September 16, 2014, 03:19:36 AM »
...Seriously, what a flipping epic video. I can't stop watching these, lol. Do we know if this Angelus player has lurked around these forums some? I want to give them an e-shake. Well done. Well done indeed.

You should try reading some of the other sections. ;)

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,10326.0.html

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2332 on: September 16, 2014, 03:50:20 AM »
Gah...dammit. I watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpu2hcNDMcE and now my urge to play the game again is doubled.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2333 on: September 16, 2014, 03:53:24 AM »
I actually had a Fire/Fire Blaster that would do this quite regularly... It was a fun--albeit very different--sort of playstyle. It certainly amused my teammates! lol

It does sound like fun. :)

I sort of did it for a thorn/fire scrapper I had, but not with intent.

In honor of your effort, I've created a new blaster for myself. If I get to play him, he might just be my second blaster to 50 cuz he looks that good... to me anyway. Dunno how often I'd actually get to use RotP though.

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,10335.0.html
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2334 on: September 16, 2014, 03:54:49 AM »
Hey guys,

Have you seen the latest from Angelus Animi?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTWXcAsMHo

LOL! That just made my day! Awesome video!  ;D 8) 

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2335 on: September 16, 2014, 04:15:57 AM »
So. . .

If Coke can bring back Surge on Amazon as an exclusive after 12 years. . .

Surely NCSoft can let our gang get City back on the Internet after 2.  :)

Pearl Dragon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2336 on: September 16, 2014, 04:19:20 AM »
So. . .

Sounds reasonable to me  :)

Power Arc X

• Minion
« Reply #2337 on: September 16, 2014, 04:24:16 AM »

Ummm , I was talking about Blasters Secondary Powers not Ancillary Powers. And yes RotP was an awesome and fun power.
If this doesn't post correctly I apologize.  Still learning the forums. 

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2338 on: September 16, 2014, 04:33:06 AM »
So. . .

I agree.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Power Arc X

• Minion
« Reply #2339 on: September 16, 2014, 04:41:19 AM »
I should clarify.  I was talking more about the tier 3/4 powers. I know on my Ice/Ice/Fire  and my Elec/Elec/Elec I would of preferred Frostbite over Chilling Embrace @lvl10 and Lightning Cages over Lightning Field. Yes I know it treads a little on the trollers/doms but the blaster description from the 3 ring binder states that blasters have very good control powers and are second only to the Controllers if my memory serves me right.