Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1747460 times)

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #2300 on: September 15, 2014, 06:27:36 PM »
This makes me feel a lot better at my many, many failed attempts at playing a Blaster. I just couldn't ever get them off the ground.

I sort of went with it by creating Captain Incompetent, an electric blaster.  When he would faceplant I'd start commenting on the floor.  "This tastes like Johnson's Wax!" or "I do believe this is Scotchgard carpet!"  Sometimes its fun to embrace the suck.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2301 on: September 15, 2014, 06:42:43 PM »

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2302 on: September 15, 2014, 06:43:13 PM »
I sort of went with it by creating Captain Incompetent, an electric blaster.  When he would faceplant I'd start commenting on the floor.  "This tastes like Johnson's Wax!" or "I do believe this is Scotchgard carpet!"  Sometimes its fun to embrace the suck.

I really wanted to sometime make a redshirt character in city of heroes(making a redshirt in star trek online would be pointless), who died every mission after making some comment that usually preceded a quick cannon-fodder death.  Especially when someone had vengeance.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2303 on: September 15, 2014, 06:45:27 PM »

On more than one occasion I suggested, not entirely jokingly, that Soul Transfer should be the Blaster inherent.  Would have made playing blasters a lot more fun for a lot more people I think.

skoogmik

• Minion
« Reply #2304 on: September 15, 2014, 07:00:28 PM »
Hey guys,

Have you seen the latest from Angelus Animi?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTWXcAsMHo

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2305 on: September 15, 2014, 07:24:18 PM »
My first character was an Electric/Electric Blaster.  Regardless of what powers I took and how I slotted him (and even after I finally managed to get him to 50+1 - the game closed before I could get him any further), he was the weakest character I had, in terms of both damage output and survivability.  Even playing him on the Beta server for a while (which included a respec to give him powers from Sorcery) was only a marginal improvement.  He could barely handle x1/+0, and by the end I had him at x1/-1 (with Bosses turned off).

And, again, it's not like he was on SOs.  I had loads of IO sets, and my main attacks were all six-slotted.  I had, at some points, Tough and Weave and Charged Armor.  But nothing helped.  He was weak and fragile regardless of what I did.  He was so terrible that I never made another Blaster ever again.

So maybe one purpled-out Rad/Fire was decent, but I don't think that it means Blasters as a whole were decent.
Although I don't disagree with your sentiment, not being able to handle x1/+0 on a 50+1 IO'd Elec^3 Blaster (after the I24 buffs) is...kinda bad.  I always felt weak on my Elec^3, but I could certainly handle more than x1/+0 (I never got the chance to try him on I24 Beta :'().

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2306 on: September 15, 2014, 07:30:10 PM »

There's a reason that a lot of people liked playing CoH, a reason that even the original developers achieved by accident and didn't fully understand. The more you tinker, the more you risk accidentally removing that reason.

Words of wisdom.

The 'lightning in a bottle' captured nature of CoH's original development is true.  So much so, Cryptic couldn't replicate the 'Golden Goose' with Champions.

The gods had spoken.

Azrael.

PS.  As for blasters...a water blaster was sheer poetry.  No end drop novas...rinse and repeat fast recharge...and water corkscrew healing DoT?

*Be still his heart...*a flutter.

...now all we needed was those insta snipes...and revisions to all the other blaster sets...

...imagine having deflection or insulation shields as epic choices?

No you say?

Only like the charmed lives Scrappers had...

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #2307 on: September 15, 2014, 07:31:12 PM »
Hey guys,

Niiiiiiiice!  ;D
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2308 on: September 15, 2014, 07:33:49 PM »
Brute.

+4, x8.

SS/Shield.

Game over.

Quick.  Devastating.  Well.  Against Council anyhow... :D

Azrael.

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2309 on: September 15, 2014, 07:42:32 PM »
I think I tried +4/x8 with my FF/Bots MM once, but I found it too slow. I had survivability, but each group took forever. Give me +1/x8 and speed. :)

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2310 on: September 15, 2014, 08:04:01 PM »
Mine was a Dark/Elec Brut and a Dark/SD Tank for solo fun. The Dark/SD was my lame attempt to do damage equal to my head of the league's SS/Fire Tank, BY-TOR. He could melt stuff so fast, it was insane. I thought the dmg buff from shield and the one for Soul Drain, plus all my def and minus def attacks would turn me into a killin machine, but only did well against the low spawns (minions to lts only). Anything higher than lts and it took forever to kill one. Still, I did survive like no one's business.

The Dark/Elec brute got better once I got the right IO sets in him. Otherwise his def was piss poor. He could really shine against anything doing S/L/E dmg though, and once they upped the elec armor set to get energize (?), my healin was amazing and so was the power cost of all those toggles.

Ah, good times.  ;)

Pearl Dragon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2311 on: September 15, 2014, 08:12:20 PM »
Hey guys,

Fantastic! Angelus Animi, your videos are enjoyed by our whole family, and make us feel much closer to the game.  Now can you make a Halloween video? ;)

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2312 on: September 15, 2014, 09:35:21 PM »
Fantastic! Angelus Animi, your videos are enjoyed by our whole family, and make us feel much closer to the game.  Now can you make a Halloween video? ;)

I love this video so much!  I laughed out loud when I saw Faathim dancing outside the Pocket D window.   ;D

gypsyav

• Boss
« Reply #2313 on: September 15, 2014, 11:31:30 PM »
I love this video so much!  I laughed out loud when I saw Faathim dancing outside the Pocket D window.   ;D

Now I have to go back and watch it again. I missed that. LOL
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #2314 on: September 16, 2014, 12:02:33 AM »
Although I don't disagree with your sentiment, not being able to handle x1/+0 on a 50+1 IO'd Elec^3 Blaster (after the I24 buffs) is...kinda bad.  I always felt weak on my Elec^3, but I could certainly handle more than x1/+0 (I never got the chance to try him on I24 Beta :'().

On the other side of the coin, I had a elec^3 blaster I was running +1 or +2/x8 even before becoming incarnate.  And my IO build, I'd call a bit haphazard.  I was lazy when IOs came out so my build was "what sort of sets can I fit in for some decent bonuses without requiring me to respec. And then there's also I tend to lean more towards concept over build.  So I did things like every attack that could take it, I put in the stun proc from the end mod set (can't remember the name off hand).  And with elec^3 that's almost every single attack :)

I remember running in a SG team, and after running a few missions, someone wanted to see what a farm mission was like since they hadn't done one before. One person had one, so we went in, the majority the team never having experienced one before.  Lots of death. I was on a low level def at the time (not even able to slot DOs yet)  I said I was going to bring on some who was a bit more durable.  Came back with my elec blaster. First comment I saw when I reentered the mission' "You wanted someone more durable and you got a blaster?"

Short circuit + power sink + ball lightning, everything was down to brawl.  After mowing through a few groups, I got the comment "OK, you weren't kidding about the more durable thing"

It is all anecdotal, everyone has a story of where they couldn't do something with one type of character, followed by someone who says they were a killing machine, a lot comes down to personal okay style and interest.  Like, I never could get the hang of playing a Kheld. Which of course means, someone will come along saying something like  "I soloed the AVs in the STF with my PB!" :)
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2315 on: September 16, 2014, 12:33:31 AM »
On the other side of the coin, I had a elec^3 blaster I was running +1 or +2/x8 even before becoming incarnate.  And my IO build, I'd call a bit haphazard.  I was lazy when IOs came out so my build was "what sort of sets can I fit in for some decent bonuses without requiring me to respec. And then there's also I tend to lean more towards concept over build.  So I did things like every attack that could take it, I put in the stun proc from the end mod set (can't remember the name off hand).  And with elec^3 that's almost every single attack :)

I remember running in a SG team, and after running a few missions, someone wanted to see what a farm mission was like since they hadn't done one before. One person had one, so we went in, the majority the team never having experienced one before.  Lots of death. I was on a low level def at the time (not even able to slot DOs yet)  I said I was going to bring on some who was a bit more durable.  Came back with my elec blaster. First comment I saw when I reentered the mission' "You wanted someone more durable and you got a blaster?"

Short circuit + power sink + ball lightning, everything was down to brawl.  After mowing through a few groups, I got the comment "OK, you weren't kidding about the more durable thing"

It is all anecdotal, everyone has a story of where they couldn't do something with one type of character, followed by someone who says they were a killing machine, a lot comes down to personal okay style and interest.  Like, I never could get the hang of playing a Kheld. Which of course means, someone will come along saying something like  "I soloed the AVs in the STF with my PB!" :)

So awesome when someone does something uncommon with a build and turns it into a surprise.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #2316 on: September 16, 2014, 12:56:43 AM »

Hail, electric brother!

Ahem. Remember when you could six slot short circuit with drains (math was a full drain of +1s, +2s took ball lightning on top of that) and was already inherently accurate? I used to map sweep freakshow in the back of Creys Folley. I found out later I was doing extra damage to them! Yeah, I'm observant.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2317 on: September 16, 2014, 12:59:32 AM »

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #2318 on: September 16, 2014, 01:12:59 AM »
Funny!

Funny and filling me with anticipation!
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #2319 on: September 16, 2014, 01:22:41 AM »
Hey guys,

...Seriously, what a flipping epic video. I can't stop watching these, lol. Do we know if this Angelus player has lurked around these forums some? I want to give them an e-shake. Well done. Well done indeed.

Ugh. Are we there yet?  ;)
Viva la Virtue!