Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1747965 times)

Beltor

• Lieutenant
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #2160 on: September 13, 2014, 08:07:42 PM »
Going through the old files from COH, I discovered not only the saved costumes but also the saved custom keybinds. With those put in the correct folder when legacy COH returns, I don't see any reason why those keybinds can't be used again. I was a programmer in the 80's and although my computer languages are obsolete (no Apple, Tandy, or Commodores used anymore), the programming principles are still useful. The COH program would have to be altered to make the costume data and keybind data unuseable. You just need to make sure the data is in the right place to be read.

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2161 on: September 13, 2014, 08:24:09 PM »
I'm just going to throw this in here:  If the CoX i23 image ever does get rezzed, whomever is running it is going to need to run it on a shoestring budget to keep it running at all.   There will be no full CS team "restoring" this, "compiling lists" of that, or working on "petitions" for much of anything.  Even some people on these boards have stated they will only play if it's free because they're broke etc. and here resides the last bastion of CoX fandom by far, let's face it.  And If there are 100 active users currently posting on CoH Titan I'd be surprised.

Perhaps there were 60,000 people playing at the time of shutdown, with maybe half of those either paying for subs, or for cash shop items, or both.  That number will likely be even lower once the CoX image comes back.  There isn't going to be character or account info available for many reasons that have already been detailed multiple times on these forums.  There will be no code changes because there is no code.  The engine is dated now. 

I'll be the first in line to pay and play, believe me, but I think we need to be realistic about our expectations.  I wouldn't be surprised if the CoX i23 team winds up volunteering much of their work time as it is.  People just need to be more reasonable in their expectations and accept a....more streamlined experience.  And that's if NCSoft just doesn't politely say no and walk away, of course.  And I still say if they'd wanted to sell, CoX would have already been long gone to Paragon Studios back at the end of 2012.

At this point, not expecting much.
I am an ass, but don't we all love a good ass!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #2162 on: September 13, 2014, 08:40:40 PM »
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #2163 on: September 13, 2014, 09:22:38 PM »
It's all been good press so far!

We're almost there!   ;D
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #2164 on: September 13, 2014, 09:49:53 PM »
Another brick in the wall.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Surelle

« Reply #2165 on: September 13, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
It's all been good press so far!

Well of course-- there aren't many die-hard fans of CoX compared to games like LoL, WoW or Tera (all in the millions of players) but even 60,000 people or whatever can put up quite a stink when their game (which was old yet still turning a halfway-decent profit) is the victim of a knee-jerk shutdown. 

And let's face it, I doubt other older MMOs that are still up and running like Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot,  LoTRO, DDO, Saga of Ryzom, Planetside, Anarchy Online and even probably some of the newer ones like Age of Conan or The Secret World can even boast that many active players....yet they're all still up and running.

Let's hope there's some way to shoestring budget a comeback for CoX where it can perpetuate itself without getting drowned in debt to NCSoft....

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #2166 on: September 13, 2014, 09:51:10 PM »
Going through the old files from COH, I discovered not only the saved costumes but also the saved custom keybinds. With those put in the correct folder when legacy COH returns, I don't see any reason why those keybinds can't be used again.

You can also load them up just fine with Icon, which was among the first things I'd tried because my keybinds...let's just say they're quite different than defaults for most things made in the past 15 years.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #2167 on: September 14, 2014, 12:49:54 AM »
Thought you guys might be interested to see this. Comparison of the original Paragon Transit Authority texture, and the new one that's been made for Revival.
Obviously, the new one is the right half.
Shout out to Fangoria for the work.

Spoiler for Hidden:
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #2168 on: September 14, 2014, 12:56:28 AM »
Nice!

We're almost there!   ;D
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2169 on: September 14, 2014, 12:59:09 AM »
Thought you guys might be interested to see this. Comparison of the original Paragon Transit Authority texture, and the new one that's been made for Revival.

Spoiler for Hidden:

Nice clean look, I like it.

Surelle

« Reply #2170 on: September 14, 2014, 01:16:24 AM »
Super nice, Irish!  You really consider every little detail.   :)

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #2171 on: September 14, 2014, 01:23:55 AM »

Spoiler for Hidden:
That is very nice. Fingers crossed that this comes to fruition.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2172 on: September 14, 2014, 01:57:36 AM »
I'm just going to throw this in here:  If the CoX i23 image ever does get rezzed, whomever is running it is going to need to run it on a shoestring budget to keep it running at all.   There will be no full CS team "restoring" this, "compiling lists" of that, or working on "petitions" for much of anything.  Even some people on these boards have stated they will only play if it's free because they're broke etc. and here resides the last bastion of CoX fandom by far, let's face it.  And If there are 100 active users currently posting on CoH Titan I'd be surprised.

Perhaps there were 60,000 people playing at the time of shutdown, with maybe half of those either paying for subs, or for cash shop items, or both.  That number will likely be even lower once the CoX image comes back.  There isn't going to be character or account info available for many reasons that have already been detailed multiple times on these forums.  There will be no code changes because there is no code.  The engine is dated now. 

I'll be the first in line to pay and play, believe me, but I think we need to be realistic about our expectations.  I wouldn't be surprised if the CoX i23 team winds up volunteering much of their work time as it is.  People just need to be more reasonable in their expectations and accept a....more streamlined experience.  And that's if NCSoft just doesn't politely say no and walk away, of course.  And I still say if they'd wanted to sell, CoX would have already been long gone to Paragon Studios back at the end of 2012.

I think that City of Heroes for its last couple of years received almost no advertizing, and almost no publicity.

I also think that a revival of CoH is going to get an internet ton of free publicity just because of the story of its revival. This will bring in a lot of former players who aren't aware of Titan network, and it will also get a lot of other MMORPG players who didn't know about it, to check it out on the basis of "Hey, there must be something interesting in this game if people were fighting for years to bring it back".

I think that it will hit a lot higher than it had at the end, and that number will go up if the dev team can find a way to add new powers and new powersets (even without new artwork). You can easily subcontract someone to create new powersets for a while, and that would be cheaper than running a development team, while giving a vibe saying that the game is not just going to be kept alive as a zombie, that there will be new updates.

I'm a lot more worried about the deal actually closing, than about having a fizzle of a launch if it does close.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2173 on: September 14, 2014, 02:09:52 AM »

Surelle

« Reply #2174 on: September 14, 2014, 03:21:53 AM »
I think that City of Heroes for its last couple of years received almost no advertizing, and almost no publicity.

I also think that a revival of CoH is going to get an internet ton of free publicity just because of the story of its revival. This will bring in a lot of former players who aren't aware of Titan network, and it will also get a lot of other MMORPG players who didn't know about it, to check it out on the basis of "Hey, there must be something interesting in this game if people were fighting for years to bring it back".

I think that it will hit a lot higher than it had at the end, and that number will go up if the dev team can find a way to add new powers and new powersets (even without new artwork). You can easily subcontract someone to create new powersets for a while, and that would be cheaper than running a development team, while giving a vibe saying that the game is not just going to be kept alive as a zombie, that there will be new updates.

I'm a lot more worried about the deal actually closing, than about having a fizzle of a launch if it does close.

Please remember that there will be NO new powersets, no patches, no updates, no anything.  There is NO code, only a snapshot image backup of i23 the night the servers went down permanently.  It's going to be CoX i23 in maintenance mode, period, and let's face it, the chances of a deal actually happening are pretty low, so even maintenance mode would be a miracle over what we've got now (and let's hope there's not the constant looming threat of another NCSoft-sponsored closure along with it).

rebel 1812

• Boss
« Reply #2175 on: September 14, 2014, 04:32:41 AM »
If not, that would be disappointing to start anew in Coh Legacy only to have to start anew again in 1.5.

I agree with that.  I think its the whole point of 1.5; namely to take over for when COH is no longer supported by the O/S.  That means saving the characters is core to the mission.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2176 on: September 14, 2014, 04:34:35 AM »
Please remember that there will be NO new powersets, no patches, no updates, no anything.  There is NO code, only a snapshot image backup of i23 the night the servers went down permanently.  It's going to be CoX i23 in maintenance mode, period, and let's face it, the chances of a deal actually happening are pretty low, so even maintenance mode would be a miracle over what we've got now (and let's hope there's not the constant looming threat of another NCSoft-sponsored closure along with it).

The deal as it stands is acceptable, but not ideal.

Frankly, I am simply hoping we will be able to play.
Updates would be a dream come true, but I'm not holding my breath.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #2177 on: September 14, 2014, 04:41:17 AM »
I agree with that.  I think its the whole point of 1.5; namely to take over for when COH is no longer supported by the O/S.  That means saving the characters is core to the mission.
The other rather significant point is to allow the game to have continuing support and development. CoH 1.0 will not have source code or developer tools, there will be no way to make significant additions or changes to the original game going forward. CoH 1.5 will be fully expandable and be running on a modern engine.
Some people might not see it this way, but to me it would be perfectly acceptable to have to start over in 1.5 if i want to play new content. In the past i frequently remade characters when new sets came out that better realized the character concepts, and besides all 1.0 characters will have been recently remade anyway. Although i suspect transferring account-based unlocks for things like rewards and costume pieces should be relatively easy since a new account system will have to implemented anyway.

Edit: "a new account system will have to be reimplemented"? Really? Since i haven't registered with the Department of Redundancy Department i feel compelled to tweak the wording slightly.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 05:08:01 AM by Nyx Nought Nothing »
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2178 on: September 14, 2014, 04:43:39 AM »
The other rather significant point is to allow the game to have continuing support and development. CoH 1.0 will not have source code or developer tools, there will be no way to make significant additions or changes to the original game going forward. CoH 1.5 will be fully expandable and be running on a modern engine.
Some people might not see it this way, but to me it would be perfectly acceptable to have to start over in 1.5 if i want to play new content. In the past i frequently remade characters when new sets came out that better realized the character concepts, and besides all 1.0 characters will have been recently remade anyway. Although i suspect transferring account-based unlocks for things like rewards and costume pieces should be relatively easy since a new account system will have to reimplemented anyway.

I hope for the best and expect the worst.  :P

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2179 on: September 14, 2014, 05:45:06 AM »
I hope for the best and expect the worst.  :P
If this attempt to gain access to the IP falls through, I dont expect anyone will attempt another. I know business negotiations take a while But I have seen military appropriations for new gear go faster than this.