Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1749193 times)

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #2080 on: September 12, 2014, 12:58:08 PM »
It appears CityofHeroes.com won't resolve.
I'm guessing it's just technical issues, webserver down or something.
-shrugs-
If the deal's gone through, I haven't heard about it. And there's no reason for them to take the website down in anticipation. If they turn CityofHeroes.com over...people would just notice it going to a new website on the day of the announcement, or a few days after more likely.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

ObsidianPhoenix76

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2081 on: September 12, 2014, 01:08:48 PM »
http://youtu.be/evlrs5Bi_6E

Oooof.  I feel like that after a day of tech support.....

Fridgy Daiere

« Reply #2082 on: September 12, 2014, 01:14:57 PM »
Cityofheroes.com won't resolve; coh.com redirects to NCSoft's homepage instead of bringing up the sunset notice like it did before...

Edit: They both still appear to be registered to NCSoft.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2083 on: September 12, 2014, 01:26:37 PM »
Makes sense.

i24 looks to be a real improvement right across the board.
Players were calling it "Fix Everything", and almost universally looking forward to it.

That makes it all the more sad that the game was cut down before it could be released.

Surelle

« Reply #2084 on: September 12, 2014, 01:34:13 PM »
Cityofheroes.com won't resolve; coh.com redirects to NCSoft's homepage instead of bringing up the sunset notice like it did before...

Edit: They both still appear to be registered to NCSoft.

I just tried both with the same results.  I seriously doubt it has much to do with Nate's offer either, though. 

After all, even Nate said in his initial post in this thread that NCSoft may only be listening politely for now only to say afterward that no suitable buyer was found.  I admire the team that approached them, but it wouldn't surprise me if they wound up having wasted their time in the end.  If NCSoft wanted to sell, their best opportunity came and went two years ago and involved pro studio and creators of CoX, Paragon Studios of course. 

I have the feeling Big Brother wanted not only his hands in the pie but also both feet and his face too, and Paragon wanted out from under the Big Money Drain and constant threats of closure.  That's only my conjecture, though, having played many of NCSoft's MMOs in the past and seen many if not most of them suffer similar shutdowns (not to mention experiencing the couple still limping along that they run themselves, oy).

Let's just hope that the team who put an initial offer onto the table this past July can correctly ascertain if NCSoft's demands are going to be too unreasonable.  Sparkly rose-colored glasses are fine for backseat drivers, but not for those who are going to be saddled with heavy debts, all the trappings of running a business and 24/7 maintenance responsibilities.  The only ones who had true records of the amount of paying customers (and what that figure was) would be Paragon Studios.  NCSoft isn't going to give out that information (I highly doubt it anyway), and besides, it's been two years:  What percentage of those former paying customers will even be back, especially without account info and characters waiting anymore?  Again, the best opportunity was with Paragon Studios, when all of that was still intact and the game could be modified and added to besides, and by people who created that code and knew it inside out.  It's too bad NCSoft blew it then.

Dal

• Minion
« Reply #2085 on: September 12, 2014, 02:23:36 PM »

But if you mean that something has happened to the sunset page over at coh.com, I'd expect that's either
purely coincidence or else maybe NCSoft is cleaning up their old stuff.

Yep, it's been two years, whatever purpose the sunset page had is long gone.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2086 on: September 12, 2014, 02:26:07 PM »
Alright, I'm digging through the Issue 24 change log.
There certainly were quite a number of changes... But, So far...Everything looks good.
So. I *think* I'm going to go ahead and say it...

Revival will feature Issue 24.

Fable

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2087 on: September 12, 2014, 02:29:27 PM »
I just tried both with the same results.  I seriously doubt it has much to do with Nate's offer either, though. 

After all, even Nate said in his initial post in this thread that NCSoft may only be listening politely for now only to say afterward that no suitable buyer was found.  I admire the team that approached them, but it wouldn't surprise me if they wound up having wasted their time in the end.  If NCSoft wanted to sell, their best opportunity came and went two years ago and involved pro studio and creators of CoX, Paragon Studios of course. 

I have the feeling Big Brother wanted not only his hands in the pie but also both feet and his face too, and Paragon wanted out from under the Big Money Drain and constant threats of closure.  That's only my conjecture, though, having played many of NCSoft's MMOs in the past and seen many if not most of them suffer similar shutdowns (not to mention experiencing the couple still limping along that they run themselves, oy).

Let's just hope that the team who put an initial offer onto the table this past July can correctly ascertain if NCSoft's demands are going to be too unreasonable.  Sparkly rose-colored glasses are fine for backseat drivers, but not for those who are going to be saddled with heavy debts, all the trappings of running a business and 24/7 maintenance responsibilities.  The only ones who had true records of the amount of paying customers (and what that figure was) would be Paragon Studios.  NCSoft isn't going to give out that information (I highly doubt it anyway), and besides, it's been two years:  What percentage of those former paying customers will even be back, especially without account info and characters waiting anymore?  Again, the best opportunity was with Paragon Studios, when all of that was still intact and the game could be modified and added to besides, and by people who created that code and knew it inside out.  It's too bad NCSoft blew it then.

What's up Buzz Killington. Way to bring the voice of reason into the discussion...

But like I said in the other thread. What are their options? They could never put out another CoH game and expect people to hop on board. Are they just going to sit on the IP for ther rest of time? They'll sell, some money's better than no money. The IP is, in my opinion, useless to them. 

Edit: for this. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f68VXKMZT1Q

"oh, by the way, we own City of Heroes now: who wants pie."

ortophonic

• Underling
« Reply #2088 on: September 12, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
I don't even know what's going on as of late, but it sounds exciting therefor I am excited... YAAAYYY!!!

Now time to dig back a few pages to see what started this hubbub.

K26dp

• Underling
« Reply #2089 on: September 12, 2014, 03:11:17 PM »
There certainly were quite a number of changes... But, So far...Everything looks good.

You are going the work of deities. Thank you.

K26dp

• Underling
« Reply #2090 on: September 12, 2014, 03:16:13 PM »
I recall the Devs talking about why they got rid of the fog in one of the new DA previews on the website, but I always wondered if they really thought twice about it. Limited experience with mapping and textures and things; is it a big deal to render fog in an MMO?

I'm pretty sure it was simply "we made all these new art assets, it would be nice if players could actually see them".

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #2091 on: September 12, 2014, 03:17:03 PM »
My inner MST3k demon wants me to say that bit packing is a slang term for when two robots "interface," if you know what I mean.

No, I don't know what you mean.

Please provide intimate details including drawings, diagrams, powerpoint, photos, focus group discussion, noir video, claymation and most importantly interpretive dance.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Fridgy Daiere

« Reply #2092 on: September 12, 2014, 03:31:15 PM »
I just spent 3 hours paying bills and balancing the checkbook; I needed a good belly laugh, thanks!  Although it was a good thing I had already finished my coffee...

No, I don't know what you mean.

Please provide intimate details including drawings, diagrams, powerpoint, photos, focus group discussion, noir video, claymation and most importantly interpretive dance.

Excidia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2093 on: September 12, 2014, 04:03:13 PM »
claymation:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtvKo2m2BpY

interpretive dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poHHDC5XSno

I figure those are the most important two, I'll let someone else take care of the rest.

excidia
You don't ever leave someone FOR dead.  You leave them DEAD.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2094 on: September 12, 2014, 04:13:32 PM »

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #2095 on: September 12, 2014, 04:14:48 PM »
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2096 on: September 12, 2014, 05:01:40 PM »
So... the matrix math one would probably be overkill then.

It's only OVERkill when there isn't enough left of the bodies to loot.
Everything else is an appropriate level of kill.

With a special case when there is no loot to begin with, at which point OVERkill is when the planet's rotation is affected by the damage.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #2097 on: September 12, 2014, 05:15:05 PM »
That's a sort of player-centric view of pay to win where the definition of "winning" is mostly congruent with "beating other players."
Gameplay-rewarding game rewards are the way *the game* defines "winning" even if it doesn't call it that.  That's the definition that I think should be the primary one when judging "pay to win."

It is a player-centric view. I am of the opinion that people who consider getting game rewards faster through paid items "pay to win" are jealous (I am guilty of such jealousy myself). I mean, so what if someone gets more merits than you? I know very very well that it's hard to see people who have more play time than you get more stuff, and just as hard to see people with less play time get more stuff because they paid for it. I know this because I've had thoughts that it "wasn't fair" that a casual player like me, playing a few hours a week, was gated from content either because of time or money. Yes, if you define "winning" as "in-game rewards" than someone with money and time will be able to "win" more and "win" faster. I hadn't thought of it in exactly those terms, but that is a good way of putting it. Still, it's better for me to zen out and be cool about people "winning", because what do they get? Digital items? I can still play the game, even if it's only a few hours a week. Yes, I'm jealous of those who can afford the time or money to get sweet in-game items, but it's not worth it for me to sacrifice time or money to get game items.

I guess the thing for me is the fact that there's no way to "beat" an MMO with that definition - they're specifically designed so that people come back to play them again and again. Yes, you can go through all the stories and reach max level, get all the achievements, but there's still recurring events to play, items to get, money to accrue... I guess the thing is that if achieving MMO items or rewards counts as "winning", there isn't much of anything to "win". Even if you do get all the things and all the money, there's still RP or PvP, or just hanging out to do.

Furthermore, many people do judge their item gathering against others - so even if you're "winning" against the game's rewards system, you can still be competing and trying to "win" against other players.

I'm about to go to a meeting for work, so this post was a bit ill-thought out, sorry if it's rambling or illogical.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Nitekilla

• Minion
« Reply #2098 on: September 12, 2014, 05:18:16 PM »
I have a question for Irish_Girl regarding APR work.  Is all this work you are doing at risk?  If NCSoft does not sell the IP rights then you can't use any of the creations you have been working on all this time.

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2099 on: September 12, 2014, 05:23:12 PM »
Yes, the new zone is an exotic, overt horror show of eldritch abominations openly walking the streets, but what you can't see is always scarier.  The old DA had that feeling in spades.  Even disregarding the Banished Pantheon zombies wandering everywhere, you could never shake the feeling that some unknown horror was lurking around the corner, or just ahead of you, concealed by the fog...

And I love the way that you saw civilians, the same way you did in other zones, but they faded away as you approached like the ghosts they were. So creepy, seeing crowds all around you but knowing you were alone...