Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1750141 times)

Waffles

• Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #2020 on: September 11, 2014, 09:03:21 PM »
Unfortunately I think it was stated that NCSoft has an image of the game in issue 23 status so for Galaxy to return would likely have to be in COH 1.5

What was funny was that way before the shutdown I had some old characters parked in tutorial that I never activated.  When I was making some CoH vids before shut down I saw those characters were still in the original tutorial so I was able to film the old and new one.

Also by running the old tutorial I was able to pick Galaxy City to start and it was the original fully functional GC.

Least you got Ouroburos.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #2021 on: September 11, 2014, 09:20:39 PM »
Unfortunately I think it was stated that NCSoft has an image of the game in issue 23 status so for Galaxy to return would likely have to be in COH 1.5

That's why I asked Irish_Girl...

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #2022 on: September 11, 2014, 09:36:04 PM »
Just a tip for future posters--I got about halfway through this post before I realized it wasn't about Valiance Online. :)

Fixed. Sorry about that!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

opprime2828

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2023 on: September 11, 2014, 10:10:02 PM »
I confess I'd love that as well.  I took it as a point of pride that some of my best characters were "Galaxy Girls," starting off there instead of in Atlas Park.

Could be interesting to bring it back as a War Zone sort of area being rebuilt, like Faultline.  Make a whole new slew of storylines trying to take back/rebuild the city.

opprime2828

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2024 on: September 11, 2014, 10:14:18 PM »
I just realized that I don't recall if there's a repository anywhere of data regarding enemy power effects.

There's City of Data for PC power effects, but there's probably at least as many, if not more, NPC attacks.

I'm very willing to bet Youtube could help with the vast majority of those, unless you're talking mechanics.  If that's the case, I know I've seen a wiki somewhere where it lists every NPCs attacks and effects.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2025 on: September 11, 2014, 10:16:39 PM »
You're more optimistic than I am, but I'm ok with your optimism because optimism is what drives accomplishment.   The realists and pessimists will not be "foolish" enough to try things which are a "long shot".    The optimists invent the light bulb and fly to the moon.   So there is definitely a place for them.

I like this attitude. This is an awesome attitude.

I spent years upon years being a pessimist, and all it ever got me was depressed. For the past few years though, I've been choosing to be optimistic. And I gotta say... even if it doesn't change the outcome of anything, at least I feel better this way. At a bare minimum, embracing optimism caused a considerable improvement to my mental health. I consider that an accomplishment :)

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #2026 on: September 11, 2014, 10:29:44 PM »
It was also the site of the longest running RP social spot on the Union server (the unofficial EU RP server).  When we lost GC, we lost our -home-! :(

I imagine that APR (with the stated aim of duplicating i23 in UE4) will still have it destroyed. However... I'd say there's a good case for urban renewal.

Can you imagine GC being rebuilt as a modern suburban environment? Actual houses, a mall, maybe the odd manor house, too...

And lurking behind all of that good, clean urban bliss, corporate warfare, gang violence, and a corrupt police force.

Just throwin' ideas out there.
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #2027 on: September 11, 2014, 10:50:06 PM »
[old_joke]Well if MWM does get CoT going as a spiritual successor, set me up as a madness mage. [/old_joke] *insert groan here*

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #2028 on: September 11, 2014, 10:51:46 PM »
I imagine that APR (with the stated aim of duplicating i23 in UE4) will still have it destroyed. However... I'd say there's a good case for urban renewal.

Can you imagine GC being rebuilt as a modern suburban environment? Actual houses, a mall, maybe the odd manor house, too...

And lurking behind all of that good, clean urban bliss, corporate warfare, gang violence, and a corrupt police force.

Just throwin' ideas out there.

I feel old, which special task force destroyed Skyway City? Is that being rebuilt, too?

Von Krieger

• Evil Emperor of German Chocolate
  • Boss
  • Silly Dragon
    • VK's FurAffinity Page
« Reply #2029 on: September 11, 2014, 11:02:47 PM »
All of the NPC powers are in City of Data as well, if you know where to look.

Good to hear. ^_^

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2030 on: September 11, 2014, 11:24:55 PM »
I feel old, which special task force destroyed Skyway City? Is that being rebuilt, too?
Admiral Sutter TF.  It wasn't *destroyed* but it took a considerable amount of damage from the Praetorian strike.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 03:56:22 AM by darkgob »

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2031 on: September 11, 2014, 11:37:29 PM »
But if you want some pointers for animations... how comfortable are you with bit packing and the math behind quaternions?

Quaternions make my ears bleed.  They're a means of measuring rotation that uses four elements.  The advantage is you can avoid gimble lock you can get in euler rotation (X,Y,Z).  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrUCBOlJdt4

I've done some scripting in LSL for SecondLife and their rotation system is in quaternions.  When I have to deal with rotations I just do it in euler and convert it when I'm done.  Ugly, but I can usually get the result I want.

I read a tutorial on quaternions once.  I was almost comprehending it and suddenly someone hit the warp drive and I was left in the dust.  At the end of the tutorial was a note saying unless you've taken a course in higher math you have no shot at understanding this.  I wish they had put that note at the front!

Not that I have the smarts/knowledge/desire to take this on.  Just saying I know what that Q word means and it makes my brain hurt.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2032 on: September 11, 2014, 11:47:08 PM »
I like this attitude. This is an awesome attitude.

I spent years upon years being a pessimist, and all it ever got me was depressed. For the past few years though, I've been choosing to be optimistic. And I gotta say... even if it doesn't change the outcome of anything, at least I feel better this way. At a bare minimum, embracing optimism caused a considerable improvement to my mental health. I consider that an accomplishment :)
I still struggle with it in some things.   I'm generally optimistic...like I see that everything is getting better over time for humans instead of the common perception that things are always getting worse.   I assume this will continue instead of the normal "doom" most seem to believe in.

But sports...augh...I'm totally pessimistic.   I had to stop watching.   Just one mistake by my favorite teams and I would instantly assume they were doomed.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2033 on: September 12, 2014, 12:32:19 AM »

Admiral Sutter TF.  It wasn't *destroyed* but it took a considerable amount of damage from the Praetorian strike.

Fixed that link for ya.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2034 on: September 12, 2014, 12:54:03 AM »
I still struggle with it in some things.   I'm generally optimistic...like I see that everything is getting better over time for humans instead of the common perception that things are always getting worse.   I assume this will continue instead of the normal "doom" most seem to believe in.

I guess someone never worked at Sprint... DOOOOOOOOOOOOM.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2035 on: September 12, 2014, 02:04:18 AM »
I guess someone never worked at Sprint... DOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

Could be worse, you can work for Comcast

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2036 on: September 12, 2014, 02:16:48 AM »
Could be worse, you can work for Comcast

Even worse, Funcoland/Gamestop
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #2037 on: September 12, 2014, 02:40:25 AM »
Quaternions make my ears bleed.

Their voices are kinda annoying. But they're cute under those masks....oh, wait, that's Quarians.

Fable

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2038 on: September 12, 2014, 02:45:13 AM »
Even worse, Funcoland/Gamestop

Haha, Funcoland, now that's a name I haven't heard since I was a kid.
"oh, by the way, we own City of Heroes now: who wants pie."

AnElfCalledMack

• Minion
« Reply #2039 on: September 12, 2014, 02:55:20 AM »
Their voices are kinda annoying. But they're cute under those masks....oh, wait, that's Quarians.
Tali's voice is the cutest thing about Mass Effect and I will hear nothing to the contrary. Unless it's about Legion or EDI. (grumbles about unnecessary gender restrictions on romance plots)

But yeah. Quaternions. I've had to use them all of twice, but oh god the multiplication rules. They look like complex numbers, only one step more. I always found it easier to just do them as matrices if it absolutely had to be quaternions, because matrix multiplication makes a certain kind of sense.