Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1712353 times)

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #1980 on: September 11, 2014, 05:46:27 AM »
I can neither confirm nor deny that was a consideration....<cough>

Heh. You guys are almost as crazy as I am.

EDIT: Holy Page 100, Batman!
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #1981 on: September 11, 2014, 05:57:10 AM »

In my dream "World of Heroes" we would be able to take our toons between alternate dimensions (CoH 1.5 <--> CoT). Is MWM "Planny" enough to make that a real possibility?   8) 

We're almost there!   ;D
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #1982 on: September 11, 2014, 06:12:59 AM »
*Gasp!*  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5ErMolRE8M

I was unaware that there were adults who did not know Steven Wright  :o . . .

We're almost there!   ;D

I've never heard of him either, nor do I recognise him.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #1983 on: September 11, 2014, 06:16:12 AM »

In my dream "World of Heroes" we would be able to take our toons between alternate dimensions (CoH 1.5 <--> CoT). Is MWM "Planny" enough to make that a real possibility?   8) 

We're almost there!   ;D

They will have different power systems and AT's, so I'd call that pretty unlikely.

Well, unless you want to arrive powerless and probably naked due to different costumes, too...

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #1984 on: September 11, 2014, 06:26:34 AM »
Admittedly it's a dream world, but she did say they were crazy planny! Dropping a bug now might spur alternate plans. . . .  ;)

We're almost there!   ;D
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1985 on: September 11, 2014, 07:33:03 AM »
I've never heard of him either, nor do I recognise him.

My all time favorite comedian.  Glad to know he's a CoX fan.

Cop pulled me over for speeding and asked, "Don't you know the speed limit is 55 miles per hour?"  And I said, "I know, but I wasn't going to be out that long."
  :)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1986 on: September 11, 2014, 08:28:29 AM »
Well, unless you want to arrive powerless and probably naked

Add in drunk and that would make Triumph the nexus of all dimensions.

sweatcake66

• Underling
« Reply #1987 on: September 11, 2014, 10:45:10 AM »
UE4 supports this and at least so far, it hasn't been a problem so long as you are running a setup that is very similar to a SteamOS box.  I keep an image of it up and periodically pull the current build over there to make sure it's still working.  Doesn't do so good on my Fedora rig, on the other hand. Haven't spent much time sorting out why as of yet - it's sort of a bonus target platform rather than a priority right now.

I'm inclined to think, however, anyone who's adamant about their main box being Linux will have minimal trouble coping with a dualboot Steam setup so long as they don't have a philsophical opposition to Steam.

I dualboot win7 with OpenSuse, I also play around with Unity 3d. With Unity got to select windows, Linux, or Mac when doing the build. But ya that is great news, i have some friends will not even think of placing windows of any ver. on their computers.

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
« Reply #1988 on: September 11, 2014, 12:39:47 PM »
My all time favorite comedian.  Glad to know he's a CoX fan.
  :)

I went to the general store. They wouldn't let me buy anthing specific.
  ;D

I saw him at at a little place called the Comedy Corner in West Palm Beach many, many, many years ago.
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #1989 on: September 11, 2014, 12:46:48 PM »
The underlying power system in CoT is largely a freeform system that will be used (internally ) to construct the externally exposed powersets.  By that token, the CoH powersets would be similarly constructed and presented.  There will likely have to be some adjustments with probabilities, but that should be the majority of the conversion. We planned ahead.

Seriously, hurry up and get CoT done already !!!  8) ;D  :gonk:

I freely admit to not paying much attention at first (other than the Kickstarter), as it did really seem to be a long shot.

The more I hear, and the more I read on the CoT site, is making me think we may actually end up with something that

might be *better* than CoH {Gasp!  Yeah, I went there.} :roll:

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1990 on: September 11, 2014, 02:06:23 PM »
I would suggest something similar to STO - global handles. There's a certain amount of uniqueness needed in a superhero game, to be sure, but I think it's better to make more people happy.

Indeed, although I've no idea how technically feasible it is, STO's "one world, instanced zones, easy zone instance switching" is utterly marvellous and I would be delighted to see it in any post-CoX game.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #1991 on: September 11, 2014, 02:30:44 PM »
However, I have no way to access any CoH animations. The deal would not include any of the original development files, and to my knowledge there is no way to convert the games animation files into a usable format.
I bet not even CODEWALKER could do it.

Nice try...

I really am too busy with other projects to do anything more than point you in the right direction. I'm certainly not going to write conversion tools, especially since a while back I took time out to explain the geo structure (which isn't even the animations, just the geometry) to a few people who approached me about creating a "other model formats -> geo" converter, but none of them came through or got very far with it. At the moment I'm much more interested in creating new geos and animations for the coh engine than extracting them.

However, it seems that reading and writing custom file formats without the help of a library to do it for you is something of a lost art. I blame the .NET and Java culture for this, leading many people to learn programming in a way that leaves them without a practical understanding of how the lower levels they're building on actually work, and dependent on someone else to solve the hard problems in a library for them.

But if you want some pointers for animations... how comfortable are you with bit packing and the math behind quaternions?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:46:22 PM by Codewalker »

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #1992 on: September 11, 2014, 02:44:04 PM »
how comfortable are you with bit packing and the math behind quaternions?

You mean a quaternion isn't just an extra Minion on the Quarterfield TF?  ;D

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1993 on: September 11, 2014, 04:33:46 PM »

You want crazy?

I played Five Nights at Freddy's before bed.

Easily scarier than Amnesia or Outlast.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #1994 on: September 11, 2014, 05:03:17 PM »
I hadn't heard of Steven Wright either.

The I.P. is covers everything City of Heroes related. ... The deal would not include any of the original development files

Does anyone know if it includes concept art? The Lora AMA mentions that unreleased concept art (specifically referring to the Battalion in the question) has to stay unreleased due to some sort of contractual thing. I hope it would expire or whatever, allowing it to be used or released.

And I contest that things like the Team Transporter are actually "Pay to Win."  My litmus test was "Can what this power does be done without it, even if doing it without the power is slower and/or less efficient?"  And the Team Transporter passes this test.  It's completely possible to run/fly to missions without it, it's just faster to use the Team Transporter to do the same thing.
That's less time spent waiting around for people to arrive, much faster merit-to-time ratio, much better average XP/inf/drops per minute, and in general having more fun and being able to do other fun things sooner.

That satisfies just about every definition of "winning" I can think of in COH.  It's not intended as a moral judgment, but given its 15 minute recharge compared to the 2 hour recharge of personal mission teleport power, I think a solid case can be made that the transporter was firmly in the "pay to win" category.

I still maintain that "Pay to Win" only applies to PvP. If you're using paid powers to complete things faster, and get more items... well, for me, I don't care. Sure, you're "winning," but you're beating NPCs. Whereas in PvP, the whole conceit of that endeavor is that everyone starts on a level playing field gear wise, and skill / build choices / etc. allow you to defeat other players. If you pay for an item that allows you to easily defeat other people in PvP, that is the literal definition of paying to win.

The only time "Pay to Win" would be an issue in PvE is in the market, but I think it was amply demonstrated that you didn't need great drops or lots of drops to be a marketeer.

I would bet serious money that somewhere out there, there is a person with saved text from all of the story arcs.

My concern with the wiki is not that arcs are missing, it's the fact that the current format for articles doesn't allow as much freedom as I would like for adding dynamic content. If you look at Sister Psyche's page, there is indeed a section about her wedding to Manticore (but nothing about Who Will Die). The issue is that it's sort of... I don't know, almost like a piecemeal way of doing things to just add "and then this happened!" at the bottom of the article for major events like weddings and deaths. There was never any need for contact articles to have a better way of presenting dynamic content, because there was little that changed in game requiring it. So the lack of forethought (poor choice of words as it implies negligence or lack of smarts which it wasn't, but close enough) in wiki formatting led to what is in my opinion a poor way of displaying info that happens to contacts / NPCs after their initial appearance. I just don't want something similar to happen to any successor game, where they don't have a way to make their characters do cool things.

The Rikti are here to destroy the world? Good thing they only landed in Paragon City! ;)

This is why I would want a CoH 2 to expand its scope. We heard about the first Rikti War - over 20 cities hit; we heard about Mot popping up in other places - the entire population of Chicago devoured (!!); The Dawn Patrol - obviously doing their thing over in the UK. A more worldly scope would be pretty sweet.

Are you saying "Theoretically no" to the "Would it be limited?" question, or the "would it be able to license CCG, novel, etc.?" question? If it's the former, great! I am super excited to see things like CCG expansion, MOBA, comics / novels, etc. If you're saying "no" to the latter question, why would that be the case?
Essentially. But again, any contractual obligations required by NCSoft are far from hammered out, assuming anything new ever happens in the negotiatians.

Wait... I asked "Is it option A or option B?" and your answer is "Essentially." :P I think the implication is that you're saying "essentially" to the "licensing would not limited" part, which is good!
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #1995 on: September 11, 2014, 05:25:28 PM »
using fan made vocal talent, which could be used in either game.

In other words, if you want voice acting, you guys have the power to make it happen.

I have a sexeh accent!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #1996 on: September 11, 2014, 05:44:08 PM »
I have a sexeh accent!

I just had a premonition of BABs with a South Georgia accent...

Damn you Forest Gump!

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #1997 on: September 11, 2014, 06:07:16 PM »
I still maintain that "Pay to Win" only applies to PvP. If you're using paid powers to complete things faster, and get more items... well, for me, I don't care. Sure, you're "winning," but you're beating NPCs. Whereas in PvP, the whole conceit of that endeavor is that everyone starts on a level playing field gear wise, and skill / build choices / etc. allow you to defeat other players. If you pay for an item that allows you to easily defeat other people in PvP, that is the literal definition of paying to win.

The only time "Pay to Win" would be an issue in PvE is in the market, but I think it was amply demonstrated that you didn't need great drops or lots of drops to be a marketeer.

Totally agreed.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #1998 on: September 11, 2014, 06:20:20 PM »

Here's 1 thing I was wondering... Do you plan to bring Galaxy City back, or go with how the zone was in i23?

Please please please please please bring Galaxy City back! :p

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1999 on: September 11, 2014, 06:22:53 PM »
Here's 1 thing I was wondering... Do you plan to bring Galaxy City back, or go with how the zone was in i23?

Please please please please please bring Galaxy City back! :p
I confess I'd love that as well.  I took it as a point of pride that some of my best characters were "Galaxy Girls," starting off there instead of in Atlas Park.