Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1748386 times)

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #1800 on: September 10, 2014, 03:25:29 AM »
My question for APR and any direct successor (taking place in Paragon itself, in the same universe) would be how they're taking care of the old missions. APR I guess I can see including them, but I kind of think it would be nice to start fresh. Rather than including older "go here, kill 10 guys, go there" type missions, start from the very beginning with more innovative stuff. And build in a way to accommodate changing NPCs / story - whether that's phasing or what, I don't know, but making the NPCs of the world a little less static.

My intention is to include all current content from City of Heroes, then add new content to it...New stories and such. Then perhaps later on look into updating older content.
I don't think I can give more detail on story and such at this time.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Pherdnut

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1801 on: September 10, 2014, 03:25:45 AM »
Truthfully, this was rather along the lines I was thinking.  The in-game market is likely part of the code already, turning the seasonal events on and off ought to be hackable without that much trouble in the worst-case scenario (you'd think there must be some sort of control console tool for the game that would allow at least this much basic control capability), and Arcana has recently stated that she could write us a better cash shop market than the one we had in her sleep.

In order for you to be able to buy stuff directly in the costume designer, there has to be something resembling a web service or easily converted to web-service DB-layer already in place. IIRC, there were a bunch of art assets that weren't available anywhere else. Those would be nice to have if doing a new independent shop but we'd probably be screwed on that. I was shocked to discover that was web technology. They must have been querying one field at a time with ajax.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #1802 on: September 10, 2014, 03:32:40 AM »
My intention is to include all current content from City of Heroes, then add new content to it...New stories and such. Then perhaps later on look into updating older content.
I don't think I can give more detail on story and such at this time.
I do not know if this was asked does this include some of the i24 material?
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #1803 on: September 10, 2014, 03:33:08 AM »
Slightly different. It's been stated again and again why the Sentinel+ files are useless for any retail relaunch of the game. I do wish people would stop bringing it up, it's getting old.

No matter how good Sentinel is... It's unlikely any team that doesn't HATE their GMs and support staff would ever use it.

For starters, they will hear A LOT of rage like this:
"My CoH account was VIP until about a week before the shut down. By the Sentinel was available, I couldn't re-sub. So I only got like 5 of my characters. How is it fair that (Some guy) gets his 80 characters. It's not fair. "
(True story btw. Had to let my account slip because I had an extra few expenses that month. Only got a few of my 50s because of it.)
Now, they can either limit the number of Sentinel characters (Some guy) has to make me happy, or make (Some Guy) happy. Either way, You're the bad guy.

IF Sentinel was used, Which I'm not supporting. The best bet, I believe, would be to restore character name, inf, level, Bio, and powers/slots. No badges, no costumes.
"Let's get dangerous..."

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #1804 on: September 10, 2014, 03:34:55 AM »
This seems a bit strange to me. Were the MWM folks far enough along for this? I didn't get the impression they were up to this stage.
Last word on their CC I'd heard was that they were having issues with the character model. It was showing its seems or something like that.
And If they were going to share their engine, it would need lots of rework to fit the CoH gameplay. The forums over there are full with differences planned to "improve" the CoH model but not a lot of showable pieces.

They're not. We'll be getting their code base when it's useable. Until then, we've got plenty to do.
I've commented a few times that we'll be modifying the code to suit Revival, and add the features we need.
"Let's get dangerous..."

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #1805 on: September 10, 2014, 03:37:08 AM »
I do not know if this was asked does this include some of the i24 material?

I do not believe so, I've actually been wondering when someone was going to ask this!

Maybe! ;D
"Let's get dangerous..."

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #1806 on: September 10, 2014, 03:42:08 AM »
On the contrary, I'm a huge fan of well-designed database schemas and leveraging things like SQL to enable database servers to optimize the queries, manage the caching, and guarantee consistency. The technology is mature and they are very, very good at it. PostgreSQL is my jam.

I'd consider asking CodeWalker for his opinions on database usage for Revival when the time came for that...
...But I'm pretty sure he'd just eat my soul...and then prolly code a bot to make posts that sounds like me, so nobody knows I'm dead.
"Let's get dangerous..."

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1807 on: September 10, 2014, 03:44:27 AM »
IF Sentinel was used, Which I'm not supporting. The best bet, I believe, would be to restore character name, inf, level, Bio, and powers/slots. No badges, no costumes.

Just getting the names back would be grand. 

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #1808 on: September 10, 2014, 03:45:27 AM »
Just getting the names back would be grand.

Isn't that easy enough? Just make a character with the name you want.
"Let's get dangerous..."

-Psi-

• Underling
« Reply #1809 on: September 10, 2014, 03:49:12 AM »
I do not believe so, I've actually been wondering when someone was going to ask this!

Maybe! ;D

I gots ta have my Martial Combat! I need it! I crave it!

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1810 on: September 10, 2014, 03:58:18 AM »
Isn't that easy enough? Just make a character with the name you want.

Everyone is getting a little freaky without your loving support. :)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1811 on: September 10, 2014, 04:01:33 AM »

Maybe! ;D
If you plan on eventually including new material, why not?  The data for the new contacts and missions is already recorded in ParagonWiki.

Sermon

• Minion
« Reply #1812 on: September 10, 2014, 04:01:39 AM »
I never used Sentinel (neither did any of my friends). I think we were too pessimistic to bother :(

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #1813 on: September 10, 2014, 04:06:12 AM »
I never used Sentinel (neither did any of my friends). I think we were too pessimistic to bother :(

Pessimism is the main reason I used Sentinel+. I didn't expect to get the game back, in any way.
Pulling my characters was a way for me to immortalize them. NCSoft doesn't have Irish Girl, I do. She's napping on my E:/ drive.
E:/Cox/Sentinel/Irish Girl.Victory.Irish Girl

Coincidentally, Pessimism is the same reason I started APR. Never thought we'd get the game back through official channels. Hopefully, I'll be proven wrong.
"Let's get dangerous..."

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #1814 on: September 10, 2014, 04:07:31 AM »

I saved a few toons, then decided it was too much effort with no promise of return, so I went back to playing. Ended up loosing that HDD so it's moot anyway.

We're almost there!   ;D
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #1815 on: September 10, 2014, 04:13:29 AM »
If you plan on eventually including new material, why not?  The data for the new contacts and missions is already recorded in ParagonWiki.

Technically, this is irrelevant. But I'll mention it anyways.
I never got to try i24. My account was Premium when the shutdown notice came, and before that I had a policy of avoiding test until Issues went live. Preferred to experience the new content Live.

On to the more relevant part!
For starters, when it comes to some thing, Story especially... I'd prefer not to yay/nay anything just yet. My maybe wasn't a coy way of saying no, I've just not made a decision one way or the other.
I don't know the specifics of i24, I've neglected to go actually dig into the details quite yet. Personally, I consider it cannonical grey area.
It was content made by Paragon Studios, led by Positron. So that gives it serious weight.
However...it was not Live, finished content... So that means I can argue it's not canon.
"Let's get dangerous..."

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #1816 on: September 10, 2014, 04:15:14 AM »
Everyone is getting a little freaky without your loving support. :)

So I noticed! For the sake of not inflating my own ego more than it already is, I'm going to assume it's just a complete coincidence. :P
"Let's get dangerous..."

Sermon

• Minion
« Reply #1817 on: September 10, 2014, 04:16:46 AM »
We're almost there!   ;D

Definitely hoping. Kinda looking forward to rerolling some characters. Probably wouldn't do exact copies, but I can't say. I doubt I would ever get back to 15+ 50s like I had before, but who knows.

rebel 1812

• Boss
« Reply #1818 on: September 10, 2014, 04:20:44 AM »

Maybe! ;D

It was my understanding that i24 was basically done had and had alot of innovative stuff.  Think of the marketing potential to be able to include that.  Also does anyone have an idea the earliest it could be back online?

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1819 on: September 10, 2014, 04:23:24 AM »
Technically, this is irrelevant. But I'll mention it anyways.
I never got to try i24. My account was Premium when the shutdown notice came, and before that I had a policy of avoiding test until Issues went live. Preferred to experience the new content Live.

On to the more relevant part!
For starters, when it comes to some thing, Story especially... I'd prefer not to yay/nay anything just yet. My maybe wasn't a coy way of saying no, I've just not made a decision one way or the other.
I don't know the specifics of i24, I've neglected to go actually dig into the details quite yet. Personally, I consider it cannonical grey area.
It was content made by Paragon Studios, led by Positron. So that gives it serious weight.
However...it was not Live, finished content... So that means I can argue it's not canon.
Well, it was basically through testing and was about to be released, so it's arguably like 95% canon.  And you really should go read the arcs here:

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Provost_Marchand_(Primal_Earth)
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Number_Six
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Mission:Inside_Information_-_Praetoria%27s_Hidden_Treasure
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Mr._G_(Primal_Earth)
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Heldenjaeger
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Inconspicuous_Female_39757#Brass_Tuesday
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/The_Major

Especially if you're a Praetorian player (like me), they are absolutely not to be missed.  It was awesome just to read them!  I deeply regret that I did not get to actually play them.