Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1748318 times)

Stonehead

• Underling
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #1180 on: September 05, 2014, 05:36:49 PM »
Greetings!  I've been lurking around here since the CoH sunset, but I wanted to de-cloak for a moment to say thanks to the many people keeping this effort alive. I know we shouldn't be expecting any real news for months, but the excitement of the past week has got me checking this message board daily for the first time in... well, since late 2012.

I was never an extremely active poster on the old CoH boards, and I've been even less active here.  I've followed the progress of the various spiritual successors through Facebook and the Kickstarter emails, but other than that I've been out of touch with the CoH community.  The sunset happened at a point when I REALLY needed to put more time & effort into my career.  Other than backing the CoT Kickstarter, I had to bow out of any Hail Mary efforts.  So it's truly heart-warming to see so many familiar faces are still around, still standing strong, still holding their /em torches high.

Regardless how this all turns out, I'm positive we'll all be heroes (and yes, villains) again someday, either in one of the successors or - fingers crossed - in the original game we fell in love with.  Either way, everyone involved with the potential revival and/or successor projects has my thanks.  I promise not to bring out the pitchforks if this all falls apart, because hey, at least you guys tried.  But if it succeeds, I promise to buy you all a pint in Pocket D on opening day.  Cheers!

d
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 06:50:17 PM by stonehd »

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1181 on: September 05, 2014, 05:38:18 PM »
Lol.

The shard TF's for me were "one and done", their repeat value wasn't much to me. Granted they had some nice reward merit payout but still....

They should have made a Shadow Shard Accolade with a pwr for going through those gauntlet xD

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #1182 on: September 05, 2014, 05:38:34 PM »
If a speedster can propel himself forward that fast with that much force, there's no reason why he can't use that force to propel himself upward higher than normal, and at least have a Ninja-Run-type leap.

To be honest, if he DOESN'T, he'll be a greasy spot on the wall.. :p

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1183 on: September 05, 2014, 05:41:53 PM »
I have a silly question that mostly likely is yet to be determined.

If NCSoft does indeed sell the IP and we get back the game at I23, has there been a determination as to what image/update we might be talking about? I23 the day it was pushed to live or the state of the game just prior to shutdown?

The reason I'm asking is to see if our last three sets would be included. Bio Armor, Nature Affinity and Water Blast. Unless my memory is failing (and it could be) wasn't each of these placed in the game after I23 was released?
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1184 on: September 05, 2014, 05:47:22 PM »
I have a silly question that mostly likely is yet to be determined.

If NCSoft does indeed sell the IP and we get back the game at I23, has there been a determination as to what image/update we might be talking about? I23 the day it was pushed to live or the state of the game just prior to shutdown?

The reason I'm asking is to see if our last three sets would be included. Bio Armor, Nature Affinity and Water Blast. Unless my memory is failing (and it could be) wasn't each of these placed in the game after I23 was released?

Natures affinity and water blast was in the game. Bio Armor was WIP

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1185 on: September 05, 2014, 05:49:15 PM »
Natures affinity and water blast was in the game. Bio Armor was WIP

I guess my question is were they released before I23 went live. If we get the sale, but we receive an image created on I23 release date... you get my point.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1186 on: September 05, 2014, 05:51:29 PM »
I guess my question is were they released before I23 went live. If we get the sale, but we receive an image created on I23 release date... you get my point.

Yes they were live except bioarmor, those were premium content you had to buy even for subscribers

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1187 on: September 05, 2014, 05:51:37 PM »

They are selling shirts. Or were? I don't know.
We are introducing a new T-shirt design each month with a promotional sale of it for that month. By the time we hit game beta, the storefront should be opened up for the most popular designs.

The order form can be found here: http://cityoftitans.com/t-shirt-order-form

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1188 on: September 05, 2014, 05:52:39 PM »
To play Devil's Advocate, that is one thing that I think they went a bit overboard on, in particular with i23 and the warp holes (whatever they were called) that pretty much made all other forms of zone-to-zone travel completely redundant.

I get the intent- to make things more player (particularly new player) friendly, but I think keeping some degree of relative inaccessibility made the game more immersive.

To play Devil's ... Prosecutor?  Travel wasn't just a convenience for getting to content.  Ubiquitous travel was a critical part of why City of Heroes was an extremely casual-friendly game.  We could casual-team in a way you really do not see in other MMOs.  In no other MMO I've seen did we have the dual elements of friendly chat channels ("looking for two for ITF run") and almost ludicrous ubiquitous travel capability ("I'm in, OMW").  In most MMOs, if you want to join a team in progress, and you aren't lucky enough to be standing right next to them at the time, you're screwed.  That's why so many MMOs designed for and needed "meeting zones" where players could hook up for teams.  Chat channels to organize teams?  Why?  If you aren't already on their team how do you expect to get to their mission, or their zone?  You have to literally be there when the team organizes. 

In City of Heroes, you could actually see a request for team on a global channel being organized on another server, say I'm in, log out, log into any character of your choice (of sufficient level) on that server, run/fly/jump/tp to the rally point from where ever you logged out, and join the team in less time than it takes for a team to walk to their mission in any other MMO.  You don't fully appreciate how powerful that is to make a game friendly to casual players until you play an MMO where those two features - simple global chat and ultrapowerful travel - don't exist.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1189 on: September 05, 2014, 06:01:02 PM »
Yes they were live except bioarmor, those were premium content you had to buy even for subscribers

Good enough. I was not sure on release dates on those sets.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1190 on: September 05, 2014, 06:03:39 PM »
To play Devil's ... Prosecutor?  Travel wasn't just a convenience for getting to content.  Ubiquitous travel was a critical part of why City of Heroes was an extremely casual-friendly game.  We could casual-team in a way you really do not see in other MMOs.  In no other MMO I've seen did we have the dual elements of friendly chat channels ("looking for two for ITF run") and almost ludicrous ubiquitous travel capability ("I'm in, OMW").  In most MMOs, if you want to join a team in progress, and you aren't lucky enough to be standing right next to them at the time, you're screwed.  That's why so many MMOs designed for and needed "meeting zones" where players could hook up for teams.  Chat channels to organize teams?  Why?  If you aren't already on their team how do you expect to get to their mission, or their zone?  You have to literally be there when the team organizes. 

In City of Heroes, you could actually see a request for team on a global channel being organized on another server, say I'm in, log out, log into any character of your choice (of sufficient level) on that server, run/fly/jump/tp to the rally point from where ever you logged out, and join the team in less time than it takes for a team to walk to their mission in any other MMO.  You don't fully appreciate how powerful that is to make a game friendly to casual players until you play an MMO where those two features - simple global chat and ultrapowerful travel - don't exist.

I play swtor...so I understand exactly what you are saying.. also..you dont have to pay to take a train to steel canyon, or anywhare else..you dont have to pay to repair armor damaged just by playing your character normally..not even a death penalty..take a 50 tank and run level 10 content and you will still have repair costs..I have paid well over 200k repair in a single progression raid session.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #1191 on: September 05, 2014, 06:06:02 PM »
We are introducing a new T-shirt design each month with a promotional sale of it for that month. By the time we hit game beta, the storefront should be opened up for the most popular designs.

The order form can be found here: http://cityoftitans.com/t-shirt-order-form

Please remember, not everyone's a skinny Small! :p

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1192 on: September 05, 2014, 06:10:03 PM »
But.. Nobody RAN the Shard TF's!

There was a loony called @Electric_Eddie or similar who for several years on Freedom ran all the shard TFs over all the US 3 day holiday weekends, he was a kin, my granite was his tank of choice for several of them.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1193 on: September 05, 2014, 06:14:47 PM »
Heh. Thank you. Some other site had referenced the fabric layer in duck tape as being part of the source of the name, but the water resistance makes even more sense. It's still a terrible long term solution for ducts or anything else that regularly gets hot, cold or even exposed to weather, but it is really useful as a quick temporary repair or rigging.
I used to use duct tape to hem my military issue pants in the Coast Guard.   (They come without being hemmed at the bottom)   It worked for months at a time through multiple washings.   True story.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #1194 on: September 05, 2014, 06:15:50 PM »

Just stares....
Kindly lay off the "Asian" stereotypes... thanks.

This was not the news I was hoping for.

I absolutely despise the way some Asian companies do business.  They will buy properties from and interests in western companies.  Too much 'saving face' all the damn time is annoying.  Selling the cancelled property and having someone revive it and be successful with it would cause them to lose face:  they would be seen as incompetent or short-sighted.  In Asian companies, you are not allowed to criticize your superiors, or even offer advice.

Shenzhen Kexiang Mould Tool Co blames Astin Martin for their recent problems, even though they were supplying AM with plastic components that were counterfiet DuPont plastics.  It wasn't the sub-contractor's fault, or that they were selling these counterfiets, it was AM's fault for discovering it and doing something about it.

I'm sure someone in the cockpit of Asiana Airlines Flight 214 saw they were too low too soon, but wouldn't say anything.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1195 on: September 05, 2014, 06:31:19 PM »
Honestly I think the community is so large, and passionate about the game that no matter what I do, or don't do...someone will be upset. I add a hospital to a zone, Some people will be upset that there's not supposed to be a hospital in that zone. I don't add things, and some players will be upset that I'm not changing enough stuff.
Nature of the beast. You can't be afraid of it though, otherwise you're frozen. You just have to make the decisions that you think will be best for the game, and hopefully...make as many players as happy as possible!
Well at least you know that in advance.  :D

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #1196 on: September 05, 2014, 06:42:42 PM »
This was not the news I was hoping for.

I absolutely despise the way some Asian companies do business.  They will buy properties from and interests in western companies.  Too much 'saving face' all the damn time is annoying.  Selling the cancelled property and having someone revive it and be successful with it would cause them to lose face:  they would be seen as incompetent or short-sighted.  In Asian companies, you are not allowed to criticize your superiors, or even offer advice.

Shenzhen Kexiang Mould Tool Co blames Astin Martin for their recent problems, even though they were supplying AM with plastic components that were counterfiet DuPont plastics.  It wasn't the sub-contractor's fault, or that they were selling these counterfiets, it was AM's fault for discovering it and doing something about it.

I'm sure someone in the cockpit of Asiana Airlines Flight 214 saw they were too low too soon, but wouldn't say anything.
I think you are missing a key part, NcSoft owns Cox, which means the team has to play by their rules.
To counter your "this is not the news you were hoping for." I disagree, it shows that the team is hard at work to try and the game back. I have high hopes  that one of these days I will read on these boards that the game is coming back. :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1197 on: September 05, 2014, 06:47:18 PM »
I enjoyed it, and knew plenty of other people who did.
I found the faster travel options very useful for those days when I only had 30 minutes to play or something.   Spending that time travelling wouldn't exactly make the best use of it.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #1198 on: September 05, 2014, 06:49:42 PM »
Repeat the mantra: NCSoft is selling the IP. (Everything else is gravy.)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1199 on: September 05, 2014, 06:50:26 PM »
There was a loony called @Electric_Eddie or similar who for several years on Freedom ran all the shard TFs over all the US 3 day holiday weekends, he was a kin, my granite was his tank of choice for several of them.

I ran the Shard TFs with that guy.  Towards the end, there was more interest in the Shard because of all the teleport powers.