Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1749640 times)

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #1100 on: September 05, 2014, 05:15:05 AM »
Those AMA's are WONDERFUL fountains of information and insight. I've gone over all fo them with a fine toothed comb.
Expect that these may not remain canon though to Revival however. I'm not saying for sure that they won't, but don't be surprised.

I agree. The most important goal is to get everything built and playable. Changes, and major updates are what Issues are for after all.
For the surrounding of Paragon, I'd planned to take a look at the geography of Rhode Island..and go kind of based off that. (I live on the opposite side of the country, so I actually have no idea what RI is like.)
The layout of Paragon City in Revival is based mostly off of the CoH DVD Edition map...er...or was it the CoV Collectors edition... Can't remember. There are some minor changes...mostly because I think whoever put the map together was REALLY drunk. (I.P. isn't even half the size it is on the map, for example)
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #1101 on: September 05, 2014, 05:22:47 AM »
Ok, so the dust has been cleared off the APR site somewhat. People can feel free to start doing stuff over there at their hearts content.
http://APR.pc-logix.com

For those of you who are fans of chat, the "Game Chat" tab near the top will take you to the IRC channel.
"Let's get dangerous..."

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #1102 on: September 05, 2014, 05:35:53 AM »
For those of you who are fans of chat, the "Game Chat" tab near the top will take you to the IRC channel.

If it isn't too much trouble, could I get the server/channel info? :)

I prefer using a client, lets me multitask easier when I have... too many tabs open.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #1103 on: September 05, 2014, 05:40:44 AM »
If it isn't too much trouble, could I get the server/channel info? :)

I prefer using a client, lets me multitask easier when I have... too many tabs open.

Isis.pc-logix.com
Channel: #AtlasParkRevival
"Let's get dangerous..."

Lenya

• Underling
« Reply #1104 on: September 05, 2014, 05:59:02 AM »
Wow. I never expected it would come to a second chance.
Whatever the outcome is, you guys rock.
@KinThalas

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #1105 on: September 05, 2014, 07:39:37 AM »
Most of the things as you so aptly put "lifted" from COH are in homage to the game we are sprouting from, but as time moves on, so will our development of powers, designs and lore. In my humble opinion we are the most "non-copy" of the COH brand as it stands. But thank you for your input.

All good points, plus there are only so many reasonable ways for the human body to move! Invariably anything based on, say, various punches will have significant similarity if there's any attempt at all to keep movements realistic.

On that note...I haven't kept up so much due to some initial frustration with your launcher, but the single biggest thing I can say to any of the projects: Study how the body moves. Learn about various martial arts forms and why they move and strike how they do. Learn about gymnastics, boxing, ballet, endurance running, sprinting.

Getting it right is subtle. Getting it wrong is glaring.

(Yes, I do plan to play VO. I'll be looking at it more...this is more general than specific criticism of anything you guys are doing!)

We need to shut down ALL these beacons

*snrk* That's become a running joke around here.

hopelives

• Minion
« Reply #1106 on: September 05, 2014, 07:45:48 AM »
The idea of a tablet with a desktop OS (but a UI designed for tablets) has appealed to me since before tablets became a huge thing. The idea of carrying around the sheer library of applications and games that run on a windows PC...

It wasn't a bad idea to try to make a touchscreen UI on Microsoft's part - it was just bad to not see that it would be taken with the same level of love as Vista was.

actually, my opinion of win-vista is much higher now that win-8 came out lol ;)

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #1107 on: September 05, 2014, 08:46:23 AM »
I can understand what they wanted to do. The idea of a unified experience is, on the surface, a pleasant idea.
Steve Balmer wasn't wrong about that, he just didn't understand that it doesn't work. Tablets, phones, and PCs are all *very* different beasts used for very different purposes.
I use Android on my Galaxy Note II, but I hate it on my Galaxy Tab... Win8 disgusts me on PC, but I love it on my Surface... and Windows 7 would be garbage on anything but my Desktop.
Fortunately, the new leadership at Microsoft understand the mistake and are working to correct it.
"Let's get dangerous..."

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #1108 on: September 05, 2014, 09:08:23 AM »
*nods as if he knows much of anything*

I don't want an identical experience between using my PC, phone and tablet, but I do want an integrated experience: they should all talk to each other as a unified whole (hardware limitations withstanding).
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1109 on: September 05, 2014, 09:35:50 AM »
I can understand what they wanted to do. The idea of a unified experience is, on the surface, a pleasant idea.
Steve Balmer wasn't wrong about that, he just didn't understand that it doesn't work. Tablets, phones, and PCs are all *very* different beasts used for very different purposes.

Honestly, he should have known better.  Trying to make things like phones, tablets, and PCs use exactly the same interface is literally like believing that Excel and Word should have the same interface.  They might have the same look and feel, but because they are different apps performing completely different things trying to shoehorn both into exactly the same interface (not just common elements, but exactly the same interface in all respects) would be ludicrous.  Anyone who knows anything about user interfaces should know better, and I'm pretty sure Balmer knew better but still tried to force it to promote Microsoft's Windows-everywhere strategy.

Fortunately, the new leadership at Microsoft understand the mistake and are working to correct it.

Not sure I agree.  On the one hand, Nadella seems to better recognize the priority of cloud computing and Microsoft as a services company that sells software and not a software company that offers services.  On the other hand, the "one Windows" strategy continues to smell like "Windows-everywhere" just in a different form.  Yes, its not exactly the same and "one Windows" doesn't specifically presume identical interfaces across the platform.  But its still this belief that one thing can be the right thing everywhere, and that one thing is Windows.

Personally, I think they learned the wrong lesson from the failure of Windows RT.  I think that only reinforced their belief that anything short of full 100% Windows is something consumers will treat as a toy and will not accept.  But that had more to do with the limitations of RT, and less with the idea that only full versions of Windows are "good enough" for consumers.  It'll be interesting to see how Windows Mobile fares under Nadella and the one-Windows strategy in the long term.  Does one-Windows leave enough latitude for Windows Mobile to evolve independently and agilely verses competitors (IOS, Android)?  We'll see.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #1110 on: September 05, 2014, 09:50:14 AM »
*nods as if he knows much of anything*

I don't want an identical experience between using my PC, phone and tablet, but I do want an integrated experience: they should all talk to each other as a unified whole (hardware limitations withstanding).

So, when are you getting a Mac, you dirty little iPhone/iPad owner, you! ;)

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #1111 on: September 05, 2014, 09:51:51 AM »
Honestly, he should have known better.  Trying to make things like phones, tablets, and PCs use exactly the same interface is literally like believing that Excel and Word should have the same interface.  They might have the same look and feel, but because they are different apps performing completely different things trying to shoehorn both into exactly the same interface (not just common elements, but exactly the same interface in all respects) would be ludicrous.  Anyone who knows anything about user interfaces should know better, and I'm pretty sure Balmer knew better but still tried to force it to promote Microsoft's Windows-everywhere strategy.

Yeah, I agree he should have known better. I think I'm mainly pointing out it wasn't malicious, just *really* stupid. Which...I guess is kind of obvious really.
Balmer was really a salesman at heart I think. He saw what he believed people would want and tried to jump on that. Or maybe he just wanted to be really relevant one last time before retiring. -shrugs-

Not sure I agree.  On the one hand, Nadella seems to better recognize the priority of cloud computing and Microsoft as a services company that sells software and not a software company that offers services.  On the other hand, the "one Windows" strategy continues to smell like "Windows-everywhere" just in a different form.  Yes, its not exactly the same and "one Windows" doesn't specifically presume identical interfaces across the platform.  But its still this belief that one thing can be the right thing everywhere, and that one thing is Windows.
Personally, I think they learned the wrong lesson from the failure of Windows RT.  I think that only reinforced their belief that anything short of full 100% Windows is something consumers will treat as a toy and will not accept.  But that had more to do with the limitations of RT, and less with the idea that only full versions of Windows are "good enough" for consumers.  It'll be interesting to see how Windows Mobile fares under Nadella and the one-Windows strategy in the long term.  Does one-Windows leave enough latitude for Windows Mobile to evolve independently and agilely verses competitors (IOS, Android)?  We'll see.

I'm REALLY interested to see what Nadella does going forward. He's so unlike Balmer, it's almost night and day. Personally, I think he'll be good for the company as long as he doesn't go OVERBOARD with his streamlining of the company. (Although I think that could be said for anything, really. All things in moderation?)
He's kind of done well so far in that he didn't just walk in and make sweeeping changes to the company overnight.
"Let's get dangerous..."

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #1112 on: September 05, 2014, 09:52:18 AM »

^ Shame on you, Arcana! It's Windows PHONE! :p

Windows Mobile was shamelessly murdered years ago!

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #1113 on: September 05, 2014, 09:53:07 AM »
So, when are you getting a Mac, you dirty little iPhone/iPad owner, you! ;)

Says FFM from his specially made iHarkonnen Floating Man-Holster 5s
"Let's get dangerous..."

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #1114 on: September 05, 2014, 10:40:24 AM »
Isis.pc-logix.com
Channel: #AtlasParkRevival

Uh, Whoops. That should actually be Irc.pc-logix.com. Not Isis.
My bad.
"Let's get dangerous..."

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #1115 on: September 05, 2014, 10:41:34 AM »
Uh, Whoops. That should actually be Irc.pc-logix.com. Not Isis.
My bad.

Isis, huh?

/em Looks suspiciously at Irish_Girl...

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #1116 on: September 05, 2014, 10:45:12 AM »
Please, I don't have the time to be any form of radical extremeist. I've got far to many things to do.
"Let's get dangerous..."

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #1117 on: September 05, 2014, 10:46:12 AM »
Please, I don't have the time to be any form of radical extremeist. I've got far to many things to do.

Hrrrmmm... I'll be keep an eye on you!  (Until CoH1.5 releases, anyway! :p )

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #1118 on: September 05, 2014, 10:50:23 AM »
Hrrrmmm... I'll be keep an eye on you!  (Until CoH1.5 releases, anyway! :p )

I'm surprised you wouldn't want to keep watching in eager anticipation of new content.
"Let's get dangerous..."

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #1119 on: September 05, 2014, 10:52:23 AM »
I'm surprised you wouldn't want to keep watching in eager anticipation of new content.

By then, it'll be TWO eyes on you! ;)