Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1712207 times)

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #780 on: September 03, 2014, 10:46:09 PM »
Lock that stuff down... make us sign our field trip wavers saying we cant sue you and you cant sue us.

From a business standpoint this would be an unacceptable liability.

It's like selling someone a keyring, and making them pinkie swear not to ever use one of the keys. You just don't do it.

We'll just have to accept what they're willing to offer - and hey, I'm giving NCSoft respect for even ATTEMPTING this. Do you remember how much over the top racism alone was spewed their way amidst the shutdown, nevermind some of the other forms of nastiness? Being willing to even look at CoH again in more than a "yes, it existed, cool" sort of way is worthy of a little cheer I think :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #781 on: September 03, 2014, 10:47:46 PM »
Lock that stuff down... make us sign our field trip wavers saying we cant sue you and you cant sue us. Secondly if Star Trek Online(cryptic) or Lineage 2(NCsoft) is using a "Backdoor" from an archaic game such as CoH they REALLY almost deserve whatever would happen... that's like saying you cant use Windows 95 because it is a massive security threat to Windows 9 that isn't even out yet. Downright lazy if they left the same "backdoors" in those games.
Ironwolf is not a coder, so he may not know the right terminology.

I think the better phrase may be "sharing code libraries." Things like internal user authentication libraries - things which it would make sense to share between multiple games.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #782 on: September 03, 2014, 10:48:36 PM »
That and I am more concerned about CoH 1.5/2. I am grateful for the spiritual successors but truthfully I could care less. They aren't City of Heroes and Never will be no matter how hard they try.
Nor should they be.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #783 on: September 03, 2014, 11:00:11 PM »
It's pretty exciting to witness all of this!

We're almost there!   ;D
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #784 on: September 03, 2014, 11:09:31 PM »
Thought that to, didn't comment LOL.  I was to busy laughing.  Shame they killed him off :(.

Dude, Donut is the Kenny of BvR ("Saying it the other way sounds stupid."). Check out season 12. He came back about half a dozen episodes ago. :D

But, to the "getting our stuff back" debate, I offer this: I petered out on GW well before GW2 came out, so I don't know if characters transfer, but, given the roadmap that downix laid out in the OP, I have no problem throwing money at CoH: Resurgence until one of the forthcoming projects is in release form. I won't even bother with recreating any of my favorite toons until I've settled into whichever of the new games feels the most like "home." Until then, I look forward to seeing you all back in Atlas Park, whichever version we all land in!
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #785 on: September 03, 2014, 11:11:00 PM »
Until then, I look forward to seeing you all back in Atlas Park, whichever version we all land in!

here here! :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #786 on: September 03, 2014, 11:17:41 PM »
From a business standpoint this would be an unacceptable liability.

It's like selling someone a keyring, and making them pinkie swear not to ever use one of the keys. You just don't do it.

We'll just have to accept what they're willing to offer - and hey, I'm giving NCSoft respect for even ATTEMPTING this. Do you remember how much over the top racism alone was spewed their way amidst the shutdown, nevermind some of the other forms of nastiness? Being willing to even look at CoH again in more than a "yes, it existed, cool" sort of way is worthy of a little cheer I think :)

I could also point out that creating a backdoor is perhaps the second to last step when an actual hacker is launching an attack on someone.  You leave a backdoor open and then turn around and fix the exploit you used.  One way it's done anyways.  If thats the kind of backdoor you guys are speaking of.  I didn't reply right away as I wasn't sure if Iron Wolf was using the kind of back door I was thinking of or some other back door.  But it's generally bad practice to have one, I say close it right away.  An admin or moderator/gm wouldn't need one anyways with proper design.  Most companies are smart enough not to have one, even more-so since security through obscurityis not security.  Just an old saying.  (No, I am not a hacker or info sec person, I did take classes in that, but I didn't take them for that reason, took them to reinforce my networking knowledge in hopes to get a job easier, didn't work at all).

And I remember alot of the nasty things people said.  Honestly felt that, well, alot of people really revealed themselves to be complete jerks during the shutdown, it kind of revealed who the real friends were in a sense.  I think only a few friends of mine I made in CoX are still friends today, a few here and there turned out to be complete $#%#$^$.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

naztmann

• Underling
« Reply #787 on: September 03, 2014, 11:17:58 PM »
So, I'm a bit of a lurker around here, but I had to jump on to add my thanks to what is the massive collection of thanks from the CoX community and these forums. If this went through it would be amazing, but just to hear that you have put all of this time and effort into this is awesome enough as it is. It really shows how much you care about this community both on these forums as well as people who haven't experienced the CoX games or maybe aren't quite so vocal on here. So from anyone who was a huge fan back may be too much of a lurker to get a chance to say it:

Thank you for all the work you've been doing.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #788 on: September 03, 2014, 11:19:40 PM »
If player accounts are gone, how will premium purchases that were only available from the paragon store (e.g. Nature Affinity) be available on an I23 relaunch?

And would the paragon store even be available in any such relaunch?  As I understood, the store was a separate server / entity.  Would it be part of CoH IP?

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #789 on: September 03, 2014, 11:21:58 PM »
Speaking of security, another thing they may want to look into should they get the game, update the password system for it.  Not allowing the use of special characters is a very very big problem, as even just adding any of @#$%! for example could greatly increase the passwords strength, and reduce the length one has to make a password to really make it secure.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #790 on: September 03, 2014, 11:25:27 PM »
Out of curiosity, since we will be stuck in i23, did anyone ever get that one badge for killing the tyrant without using any of the lights in the iTrail? I remember people said that badge was only achievable when they unlocked more incanate powers

The Magisterium iTrial was what I would call "Gated Content". In order to participate, not only did you have to be VIP (only subscribers could do incarnate stuff, if I recall correctly) but you had to have Lore and Destiny unlocked. This iTrial was for me, one of the most incredible experiences. It took a truly special league of players to be able to take Cole down without using the lights. For some leagues, even with the lights, he was tough enough, lol.

Without lights, it pretty much needed to be an almost choreographed chaos so that players could be grouped for buffs, but scatter ASAP when that lightning blast was about to pop. I got this badge on three different characters on two different servers and other than facing the Avatar of Hamidon with insufficient Clarions, I can't think of a more challenging finale. In all honesty, I don't think a league without wise incarnate choices will do well, lights or not. Kudos to @Amygdala of Champion and @Xtreme Raze on Liberty for leading those efforts. ( I think @Lady Clara and @Placta may have also led successful runs on Champion, but I can't recall - such a tightnit community of both servers, if one was there, the others usually were as well.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #791 on: September 03, 2014, 11:28:23 PM »
A new website or forum here is going to definitely be needed. A list of volunteers and skills - all the good stuff that needs to be done.

Just as a side note, I'd rather not set up Atlas Park Revival forums here.

That's not to be mean, but what I'm afraid of is splitting up the dissemination of information across multiple sites.  I think that all Atlas Park Revival stuff needs to be consolidated on the Atlas Park Revival site.  Not that I mind people asking questions or congregating here or anything, but I don't want anyone to confuse the Titan Network with the official Atlas Park Revival site.  Information here is secondhand, while information there is firsthand.

In fact, I'm in the process of telling the other projects (City of Titans and Heroes and Villains) that I'm going to be retiring their forums here, since both have their own web sites now up and running and have for a long time.  We'll still have a general "Plan Z" discussion forum, and I don't mind folks making posts there to basically say, "Hey, look at what's going on over at our official site!", but to be honest, it's better for them this way in that they can go ahead and get their own user base created and set up.  The only reason we really had their forums here to start with was as kind of a stopgap measure until they got their own sites up and running.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #792 on: September 03, 2014, 11:29:33 PM »
guys can you please wait on bringing back CoH until I finish grad school

I know it's gonna be like a year and a half but it would really be super-helpful and great if I didn't have to choose between my first MMO love and my professional future

I wish you great success in grad school! But, having been through it, I know that you can find an hour here and there to play - you'd just have to read faster with the same comprehension. Practice now!

And remember, on your thesis: Pick a topic the professors know next to nothing about. That way, you'll know more than everyone else in the room. They will likely be too busy to read up on the topic as much as you will have. You'll be the only expert in the room.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #793 on: September 03, 2014, 11:35:19 PM »
The Magisterium iTrial was what I would call "Gated Content". In order to participate, not only did you have to be VIP (only subscribers could do incarnate stuff, if I recall correctly) but you had to have Lore and Destiny unlocked. This iTrial was for me, one of the most incredible experiences. It took a truly special league of players to be able to take Cole down without using the lights. For some leagues, even with the lights, he was tough enough, lol.

Without lights, it pretty much needed to be an almost choreographed chaos so that players could be grouped for buffs, but scatter ASAP when that lightning blast was about to pop. I got this badge on three different characters on two different servers and other than facing the Avatar of Hamidon with insufficient Clarions, I can't think of a more challenging finale. In all honesty, I don't think a league without wise incarnate choices will do well, lights or not. Kudos to @Amygdala of Champion and @Xtreme Raze on Liberty for leading those efforts. ( I think @Lady Clara and @Placta may have also led successful runs on Champion, but I can't recall - such a tightnit community of both servers, if one was there, the others usually were as well.

The Magisterium ITrial was by far my favorite, simply cause it was a conclusion of the praetorian war.  And it didn't end in a perfect heroic way either.  The whole imperial city was destroyed and the chaos Praetoria was left in meant it was very vulnerable to it's hamidon.  A very unfortunate end to the war, in a way though, it seemed like the war ended that way as a kind of statement that war is on so many levels wrong, and really is a big last resort.  Praetoria attacked primal earth, forcing primal earth to respond to it and generally forcing primal earth to invade since praetoria wasn't going to stop attacking.

So the praetorian hamidon was left with a very exposed and crippled humanity that was rather badly mislead into a war by it's leader who saw no other option.  I cannot say things would be good had the praetorians won, in fact I'd say the world would have been screwed.  But it was either praetoria lost or both sides lost.

It's a shame it ended that way, but I liked the Magisterium trial because of that.  You kind of saw the ultimate consequences of the war(they even say the hamidon is on the way to finish the city off at the end if I recall).

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #794 on: September 03, 2014, 11:37:35 PM »
Ok, so...by special request. New pictures of REALLY unpolished stuff.
Warning: Seriously under construction.
Images will be hidden under spoiler tags, so Agge doesn't smack me with her mod hat.

Spoiler for Hidden:

Spoiler for Hidden:
The plaza of Steel Canyon's University.

Spoiler for Hidden:
The first shot of Independence Port.
In this picture, you might be able to see the hintings of one of my favorite changes that I'm making.
If you're flying along, and you look out past the War Walls...You can see the rest of Paragon City in the distance.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Another shot of I.P. a tad closer to the bridge.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I have no idea where this is. I think it's from a different game. /sarcasm

Spoiler for Hidden:
This picture...is Paragon City from above. It should have the War Walls for just about all of the cities zones. Only Atlas Park, Independance Port, and Founders Falls have any of the zone detail showing in this image however.

Thanks for that :)

I'm now looking forward to the revamped CoH. It just struck me that it just wont be the the buildings and infrastructure that gets redone. NPC's, mobs  .. GM's will also be redone.

I wonder  ... are there plans to include speech in the revamp?

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #795 on: September 03, 2014, 11:37:42 PM »
Ironwolf is not a coder, so he may not know the right terminology.

I think the better phrase may be "sharing code libraries." Things like internal user authentication libraries - things which it would make sense to share between multiple games.
That makes more sense. I wish there was a cure for that stuff I am assuming they/we are having issues isolating that stuff?

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #796 on: September 03, 2014, 11:41:25 PM »
We'll still have a general "Plan Z" discussion forum, and I don't mind folks making posts there to basically say, "Hey, look at what's going on over at our official site!", but to be honest, it's better for them this way in that they can go ahead and get their own user base created and set up.

I agree with all of your post, Tony, but wanted to single this aspect out as awesome. The little updates and discussions for all of the successor projects are neat and useful here, but there really are benefits to the in depth communication being elsewhere :)

The Magisterium ITrial was by far my favorite, simply cause it was a conclusion of the praetorian war. 

I'm one of the few people who was really disappointed by the outcome of "Praetorian Fatigue." I'll agree Primal Earth needed some love, but it felt a very unsatisfying way to end things. I get that their Hamidon is uber in a million ways, but evacuating what few people we could and leaving a world to be overrun just made me feel really disappointed.

If anyone on a successor wants to make my day, slipping in a hint about an alternate timeline where valiant heroes refused to gave up and fought the Hamidon back as a team would win my heart, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.

But that said, gameplaywise? SO FUN. I only got to try badging it once or twice, but it felt like all of the best parts of the other trials without any of the filler. Sure, some filler to start (good for iXP though!) then bam three bosses, one boss, huge boss.

Tanking Tyrant was suuuch an amazing feeling. There really was nothing else like it :)

I wonder  ... are there plans to include speech in the revamp?

I may be the one person who feels this way, but I prefer it when games don't have speech, so all of the conversation uses my character's actual name.
Woo! - Argent Girl

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #797 on: September 03, 2014, 11:42:04 PM »
I'm still trying to find time to just start writing again.  I was writing for VO occasionally, had three parts on a lore page for a character of mine.  I really should visit on some other character of mine here perhaps.

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #798 on: September 03, 2014, 11:45:51 PM »

Wait, wait, wait--you were supposed to finish that thing? I thought that you just started the trial, fought the first two hundred fifty or so guys, and then quit.

Huh. Learn something new every day.

:) ;) :)

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #799 on: September 03, 2014, 11:47:48 PM »
...(they even say the hamidon is on the way to finish the city off at the end if I recall).

Upon defeat of Tyrant:

You've ruined everything! You have no comprehension of what you've unleashed on this world... this multiverse!

I had the power to save us all... to fight off the storm on the horizon...

We are undone...