Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1712580 times)

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #760 on: September 03, 2014, 08:42:21 PM »
I look at City of Titans, Valiance Online, and  Heroes and Villains being like the Chinese, the Mexican, and the Italian restaurants that setup in the same area because not everyone wants chinese (or mexican or italian) every time, but its all good food and customers know the neighborhood to get their options. It can't be about all of one and none of the others.

I personally know of people playing World of Warcraft, Rift, and League of Legends, at different times, of course but all in the same week.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #761 on: September 03, 2014, 08:47:21 PM »
I am having friends from coh that I havent talked to in a couple of years or more contact me. there are a LOT of people watching this.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #762 on: September 03, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
I am having friends from coh that I havent talked to in a couple of years or more contact me. there are a LOT of people watching this.
We are getting the band back together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzOHq5WbQ8k

Fable

• Lieutenant
« Reply #763 on: September 03, 2014, 09:11:13 PM »
Just a thought that came to my mind...

I wonder what the real population will be upon relaunch. I know this is again speculation but have any of you taken a moment to consider how many or few of us there are who want to play again? I think this really should be taken into account when considering how many servers to launch.

I think you're forgetting the amount of new comers. I was surprised by a lot of the comments on the 3 articles. There were a lot of "I had no idea this game had this kind of community, I think I'll check it out if it comes back" kind of comments. It may not be as popular or it could be more popular because the attention it didn't previously have. I feel like it could go either way. Look at the CoT kickstarter, there's obviously a lot of interest in this type of game. Just look at steams numbers on CO, I think we're all good.

Plus, most of us are old and have disposable income ;)
"oh, by the way, we own City of Heroes now: who wants pie."

DeathSentry

• Underling
« Reply #764 on: September 03, 2014, 09:14:33 PM »
Given that its binary and not source code; it appears that we get the benefit of licensing and using coh but will definitely depend on the successors to take it forward

hopelives

• Minion
« Reply #765 on: September 03, 2014, 09:15:41 PM »
Anyone else notice that the press coverage seems to be focused on the "spiritual successor" side of the deal with next to no mention of CoH i23 getting back online?

Anyway, all these articles are getting enthusiastic comments.  I hope someone over in Korea realizes that doing this deal could greatly help their PR image.

I have to admit,my interest is totally about coh i23 etc., getting back online.

hopelives

• Minion
« Reply #766 on: September 03, 2014, 09:19:06 PM »
Out of curiosity, since we will be stuck in i23, did anyone ever get that one badge for killing the tyrant without using any of the lights in the iTrail? I remember people said that badge was only achievable when they unlocked more incanate powers

Not I :)

hopelives

• Minion
« Reply #767 on: September 03, 2014, 09:22:58 PM »

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #768 on: September 03, 2014, 09:31:32 PM »
Out of curiosity, since we will be stuck in i23, did anyone ever get that one badge for killing the tyrant without using any of the lights in the iTrail? I remember people said that badge was only achievable when they unlocked more incanate powers

That was the The Really Hard Way Badge, and at least 154 characters were verified to have earned it. In order to participate in the Magisterium Trial, you had to have unlocked your Lore and Destiny slots, but not Hybrid.

Xaphan

• Underling
« Reply #769 on: September 03, 2014, 09:35:27 PM »
I got that on 2 or 3 of my characters (2 I'm sure of, the third I can't remember for sure). The group I was with was among the first to get it, but not the very first.
It was hard, but not impossible. :)

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #770 on: September 03, 2014, 09:43:06 PM »
I'm curious though, apologies if this was asked already, but what of costume codes and booster packs? If the game comes back, will you even be able to generate and sell/give out codes? Otherwise, wouldn't stuff like Justice and Sinister costume sets, Pocket D Tiki VIP, Arachnos Helmets and the like be gone forever?

I'm not part of any of these teams, but I'll give some thoughts on this since no one else has.

The only costume parts that should not be accessible are those that were released after I23 because everything else would be in the I23 pigg files. I'm guessing that the I24 pigg files wouldn't be valid, even though they're still downloadable, because the server software would be hard-coded to expect the I23 versions. But all other art assets would still exist in the files.

However, access to the costume pieces and powers was account-based before, so I think future access would have to be determined by how the new authentication server was set up and the flags that would indicate who could use what. All of that would be decided by the people who are in charge of actually running the maintenance servers, though.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #771 on: September 03, 2014, 09:46:34 PM »
There is a possibility that this source or part may be in other Cryptic engines and may have backdoors to the system. NCSoft would have to explain any other reason and they aren't doing so yet.
Correct me if my memory is faulty.

Wasn't there some discussion about the difficulty in reverse engineering the source code because it was supposedly invented especially for CoH and was not exactly well put together?

If it was then used for other games as well, that sounds like a big mess that would not be good news for the other games.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #772 on: September 03, 2014, 09:49:16 PM »
3. Speaking of successors, the pending "officialness" of the successors does give me concern about splitting the player base. Obviously people will play different games based on their preferences, but I can't help but wonder if the successors would want to "team up" with pricing? E.g. give a special reduced sub price to all three games (rather than $15 a month each, $30 total for all three). Something like that.
That is a unique sounding idea.   There does seem to be some spirit of "we are in this together" among the different groups (which is awesome).  And discounts do result in more net income at times. (Discount Tuesdays at theaters for instance)

hopelives

• Minion
« Reply #773 on: September 03, 2014, 09:49:23 PM »

apologies to the board-didn't mean for a few of my posts to enter here all back-to-back.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #774 on: September 03, 2014, 10:12:37 PM »
We are getting the band back together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzOHq5WbQ8k

Thank you for that clip. The first video next to it was "Briefcase full of Blues". For those who don't know, it was an album released about the same time. Featuring the actual Blue brothers singing. I'm listening to it now. It's awesome.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Number9

• Minion
« Reply #775 on: September 03, 2014, 10:27:33 PM »
Regarding population numbers, here's my anecdotal evidence.

Since the news of the hail mary effort I've talked with 5 former CoH players and all have said they would return to the game.  I've told other gaming friends who never played about the possibility of a CoH return; 7 of those folks are interested.  So thats 12 people who on just hearing about CoH redux are already potential player/buyers. 

Here's the key point.  They all asked "how much."  The consensus was that they want to return or try the game for the first time, but no one wanted to pay a premium.  There are die hards who have stated loud and clear that they would pay anything to get CoH back.  Thats all well and good but the games return would be best served by pricing itself attractively to bring in on-the-fence returnees and brand new players. 

Personally I'd be willing to pay $10-$15 on a CoH redux Steam purchase that unlocks a chunk of costume elements and archetypes, and then a monthly sub of under $10.  Some kind of free account option would serve to get new people to try the game.  I missed to chance to play CoH when it went free to play so Im not too sure what the options were. 
Formerly of Virtue server: Number 9, StormBird, Magic8Ball, Fyv, and many others I care not to mention in the desperate hopes I get to recreate them and use their names once again.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #776 on: September 03, 2014, 10:34:42 PM »
I missed to chance to play CoH when it went free to play so Im not too sure what the options were. 

One thing that I admit has upset me a bit has been the hostility towards F2P. The F2P conversion did not kill the game. Everyone at Paragon said it was the best thing they ever did for the game financially. The people who don't pay may not financially boost up the game while costing resources...

But if I can't play with my fiancee when the game comes back, I'm not going to be as happy. We're both pretty tight, and while I could try to cover both of us for some things, odds are at least one of my friends are going to want to not pay if there's that option. It won't make the game money, but it will make me more invested, they'll be likely to buy things and sub when they can, etc. Free players make the game better by providing an active player base and as such should be treated well!

So I'd really hope that any team would want to be in the more-inclusive brand of F2P than not. At first you couldn't even join a super group... and that would stop 9/10ths of the free people from playing. I'm okay with no ticket rewards from AE, but no rewards at all? Since no one will have bought going rogue if we dont get the account data, I'd say the alignment system being F2P really hurts no one. It just lets f2P players explore more content, encourage more people to play, etc. :)

If you're a person who can pay, and can pay more than just a sub fee, dont be angry at free players. Think of it as your chance to give to the community by supporting their play experience, just as they support yours :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

Last Known Hero

• Minion
« Reply #777 on: September 03, 2014, 10:37:35 PM »
That was the The Really Hard Way Badge, and at least 154 characters were verified to have earned it. In order to participate in the Magisterium Trial, you had to have unlocked your Lore and Destiny slots, but not Hybrid.

My brother and Shifter were one of those actually :)
Contender's Lil Bro - Stone/NRG Tank
Freedom

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #778 on: September 03, 2014, 10:42:25 PM »
There is a possibility that this source or part may be in other Cryptic engines and may have backdoors to the system. NCSoft would have to explain any other reason and they aren't doing so yet.
Lock that stuff down... make us sign our field trip wavers saying we cant sue you and you cant sue us. Secondly if Star Trek Online(cryptic) or Lineage 2(NCsoft) is using a "Backdoor" from an archaic game such as CoH they REALLY almost deserve whatever would happen... that's like saying you cant use Windows 95 because it is a massive security threat to Windows 9 that isn't even out yet. Downright lazy if they left the same "backdoors" in those games.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #779 on: September 03, 2014, 10:45:16 PM »
  I have to admit,my interest is totally about coh i23 etc., getting back online.
That and I am more concerned about CoH 1.5/2. I am grateful for the spiritual successors but truthfully I could care less. They aren't City of Heroes and Never will be no matter how hard they try.