Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1712694 times)

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #660 on: September 03, 2014, 06:31:31 AM »
Gold Side! Gold Side!

All Hail Emperor Cole!

You! You! Loyalist!  LOL  :D
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #661 on: September 03, 2014, 07:01:05 AM »
Someone had asked about why Atlas Park Revival would be using the City of Titans Build.

I am not a programmer.  Let me state this right up front.  My brother is the game programmer in the family.  So this is my understanding.  So the game has two main parts.  You have the game engine.  In this case Unreal Engine 4.  Both City of Titans and Atlas Park Revival are using the same game engine.  So you have compatibility there.  Unreal Engine basically renders the environment, the characters, the mobs, the powers via particle effect animations etc..,

However the engine still needs instructions on what to display, when to display it, where to display it, etc...
This is where the build comes in to play.  By using a modified version of the COT build it gives APR a leg up on the code end of the game without having to right their own code.  They will most likely need to tweak, modify, adapt such code to better suit the look and feel of the game.  Even with the MMO support built in you still need to tell the engine what to do.  This is my layman understanding of the process.  I am sure others with more programming expertise will feel free to correct/criticize any errors in my post.   :P

Keeping in mind that we do not have the COH source code....this means no new content...no new powersets, no new anything....this is why I23 will be maintenance mode only.  By using the COT build you get the ability to alter the code, add new code and adjust as needed.  This means new content, new story arcs, new power sets, new zones, etc.

You are definitely on the right track with your explanation.

Let me add that CoT is being created by people who want the same feel as we had with CoH. That pretty much means that a certain portion of their code is probably set very similar to what would have to be created for CoH 1.5.
Things like a costume creator would have already been started and that gives Irish_Girl and anyone helping her a leg up in the process.

Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #662 on: September 03, 2014, 07:03:48 AM »
On the subject of doing the Rogue Isles, and Praetoria....
When I started the project...My goal was Atlas Park. Hence the name "Atlas Park Revival".
Partially because I had high hopes that it would only be a few months before we got the game back.
Obviously, the scope of that project has expanded greatly. Cosmically, even.
Even more so since I started working closely with this crazy guy by the name of Nate Downes.

Anything and everything that was a part of City of Heroes, I want to re-build.
Everything from Atlas Park, to Grandville, to Nova Praetoria. '
At the moment, I do not have a plan on where Villain side and Praetoria fit into the schedule.
After the next week, I'm going to start looking at expanding the team quite a bit. That's something that I'll be discussing with the team after I've grown it a little, and everyone's settled in.

I know that's essentially a really fancy way of saying "-shrug-", and I'm really sorry I don't have a better answer as of yet.
Paragon Studios always had to make hard choices with Redside, because such a small portion of the playerbase was reported to be there.
I don't want the Rogue Isles to fall into the same state of disrepair. Even if only 30 percent of players are there, that's still 30 percent, and I always felt having Redside (and later Gold) was critically important to making City of Heroes what it was.

"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #663 on: September 03, 2014, 07:05:53 AM »
This has made my evening. Lol.
Hummmman fe-males doing business AND wearing clothes! What is the galaxy coming too?

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #664 on: September 03, 2014, 07:07:22 AM »
You are definitely on the right track with your explanation.

Let me add that CoT is being created by people who want the same feel as we had with CoH. That pretty much means that a certain portion of their code is probably set very similar to what would have to be created for CoH 1.5.
Things like a costume creator would have already been started and that gives Irish_Girl and anyone helping her a leg up in the process.

and that's exactly why we made an arrangement for us to build off their code.
Why have two separate groups re-invent the wheel, when we can work together?
"Let's get dangerous..."

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #665 on: September 03, 2014, 07:08:17 AM »
"Let's get dangerous..."

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #666 on: September 03, 2014, 07:52:28 AM »
I just want to say thanks again to the people who are out there trying things like this on behalf of the rest of us. It's a lot of effort that you didn't have to take on, and while there's no guarantees about the outcome, there is one certainty - we'd never even have a chance if it weren't for you guys trying. So... y'know... thanks! :)

Hopefully this goes well, and leads to many good things!

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #667 on: September 03, 2014, 08:09:02 AM »
I know that's essentially a really fancy way of saying "-shrug-", and I'm really sorry I don't have a better answer as of yet.

To me, this reads as being reasonable.

At the moment, you're a one person team. As a woman who often would fly from one end of a zone to another while chattin with her SG friends or RPing a patrol, Paragon City alone is HUGE. There's a reason pre fly speed buffs people would go afk to bio or grab a drink between missions if the next door was on the other side of say, IP. Making assumptions on how quickly you could build all of Paragon - hazard zones and all - and then the Rogue Isles, Gold Side... that sounds premature. Especially with how everyone is struggling not to hold their breaths.

Really hope there'll be some way I can help - I have entirely too much free time and being a part of this would be epic.

But that's no pressure, this community is full of talented people ready and happy to help rebirth our city in new shiny tech. :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

Number9

• Minion
« Reply #668 on: September 03, 2014, 08:13:19 AM »
I'd love to know what Matt Miller and some of the former Paragon folks think of all this.  Positrons twitter is silent on the matter.
Formerly of Virtue server: Number 9, StormBird, Magic8Ball, Fyv, and many others I care not to mention in the desperate hopes I get to recreate them and use their names once again.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #669 on: September 03, 2014, 08:16:23 AM »
I'd love to know what Matt Miller and some of the former Paragon folks think of all this.  Positrons twitter is silent on the matter.

He might not feel he's in a position where it would be inappropriate for him to say anything on the matter, as well as concern over impacting his career.
"Let's get dangerous..."

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #670 on: September 03, 2014, 08:21:51 AM »
New Shiny Tech!  We wants it!  We needs it!  my preciousssss.....

http://youtu.be/Gk4Ntcq5uNg
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!

impiousimp

• Lieutenant
« Reply #671 on: September 03, 2014, 08:30:51 AM »
@Irish_Girl

How many volunteers do you have?

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #672 on: September 03, 2014, 08:38:24 AM »
@Irish_Girl
How many volunteers do you have?

At the moment It's just myself, with some occasional helping keeping the website running from Neo Ravencroft.
That's going to be changing soon however. I plan on ramping up the team size.
"Let's get dangerous..."

kribbla

• Underling
« Reply #673 on: September 03, 2014, 09:23:43 AM »
I have some dumb question about this Source Code Thing.
Will it be possible for the Future Devs without this Code, let's say, to edit the Title Screens to Rename the Game, change the Picture or change the Server List if less Server will be available?

Sorry for this stupid Question. :)

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #674 on: September 03, 2014, 09:27:43 AM »
Will it be possible for the Future Devs without this Code, let's say, to edit the Title Screens to Rename the Game, change the Picture or change the Server List if less Server will be available?

Until they get their hands on it and play around, assume that w/o source code, i23 will be the same as it was when Paragon ran it.

That seems the safe bet to me :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #675 on: September 03, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »

The pictures, no. That will almost certainly need the source code.

The server list, yes. That's going to be database based and is a variable list of values.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #676 on: September 03, 2014, 09:52:47 AM »
The pictures, no. That will almost certainly need the source code.

The server list, yes. That's going to be database based and is a variable list of values.

The title screen background could be changed, Kinda. I know of a nifty little program called NeoSplasher that does exactly that.
Never used it, but I hear it works quite well.

EDIT: But really...Yeah... As it was, is as it will be. Very little possible modification.
"Let's get dangerous..."

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #677 on: September 03, 2014, 09:56:07 AM »
The title screen background could be changed, Kinda. I know of a nifty little program called NeoSplasher that does exactly that.
Never used it, but I hear it works quite well.

I think that mods one of the PIGGS?  Without the source code, they're not going to be able to build patch updates, so to change that, they'd have to send out a whole new PIGG, and who knows if they've hardcoded file offset locations in those....  Not worth the effort and risk, IMO.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #678 on: September 03, 2014, 10:03:53 AM »
I think that mods one of the PIGGS?  Without the source code, they're not going to be able to build patch updates, so to change that, they'd have to send out a whole new PIGG, and who knows if they've hardcoded file offset locations in those....  Not worth the effort and risk, IMO.

Prolly not worth it, and it's not like there would be new content to show off on the main screen.
"Let's get dangerous..."

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #679 on: September 03, 2014, 10:46:25 AM »
Hummmman fe-males doing business AND wearing clothes! What is the galaxy coming too?

Back to the Dabo tables, Quark