Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1738670 times)

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #580 on: September 02, 2014, 10:34:28 PM »
Be careful man, it might be fire ants.  It could even be army ants or some other super deadly ant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UozWJTuhbMQ

I was trying to find a video with even deadlier ants......
Since it's a super hero game:

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #581 on: September 02, 2014, 10:36:23 PM »
Be careful man, it might be fire ants.  It could even be army ants or some other super deadly ant!

I've used this one before but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2PLls02gOU
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #582 on: September 02, 2014, 10:37:13 PM »
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #583 on: September 02, 2014, 10:40:43 PM »

Argentine Ants are pretty annoying.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #584 on: September 02, 2014, 10:45:11 PM »
Since it's a super hero game:

Ok, Harpo. You win. Your response was waaaay better than mine. :)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #585 on: September 02, 2014, 10:50:18 PM »
/e pokes back

I go to sleep, and the thread jumps forward 5 pages! So...many posts I want to reply to. @_@

Tell me about it. Took me several hours to catch up...

Hey, wait a minute. Don't you have a job to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH9hvFHlspc
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #586 on: September 02, 2014, 10:50:46 PM »
Completely correct! If a woman owns it, that's pretty shady right there! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

There's the real possibility that it's organized this way as a form of tax dodge.  Not that dodging taxes is really WRONG or anything (show me where it's stated that a company or person is OBLIGATED to pay maximum possible taxes).

Geez Louise, like the sex of the owner is even relevant. That is the very last of our worries, why was this even mentioned. Thumbs down.  >:(

It can be.  If it's organized this way with a titular "owner" for tax purposes, but actually run by someone else, this can be semi-shady, and the IRS (as they are wont to do) tends to frown on companies that set up this way in a less than legitimate manner.

Essentially the implication being made is that MWM is not a fully operational company in the classic sense.  But is a poorly capitalized, loosely organized federation of developers in a conveniently packaged shell corporation designed to minimize monetary liabilities.  Which really isn't all that far from the truth.

Fable

• Lieutenant
« Reply #587 on: September 02, 2014, 10:55:07 PM »
Just a thought/question. Assuming all goes well.

So if we start playing the zombified version of CoH then decide to switch to "CoH 1.5" will we have to start over a third time? Or are you guys thinking of some way to transfer character data from one to the other.

Obviously this question makes a lot of assumptions.
"oh, by the way, we own City of Heroes now: who wants pie."

Sophronisba

• Lieutenant
« Reply #588 on: September 02, 2014, 11:01:34 PM »
If it's organized this way with a titular "owner" for tax purposes, but actually run by someone else, this can be semi-shady, and the IRS (as they are wont to do) tends to frown on companies that set up this way in a less than legitimate manner.

Yes, but what does that have to do with the sex of the owner? Why would a woman-owned company be more suspect than a man-owned company?

Shard

• Lieutenant
    • City of Titans
« Reply #589 on: September 02, 2014, 11:05:11 PM »
Just a thought/question. Assuming all goes well.

So if we start playing the zombified version of CoH then decide to switch to "CoH 1.5" will we have to start over a third time? Or are you guys thinking of some way to transfer character data from one to the other.

Obviously this question makes a lot of assumptions.

This largely depends upon four things.

1) What entity is made responsible for Legacy ( i23 )

2) How exportable the character data ultimately is

3) If the entity in 1 wants to allow this with the entity ( presumably APR ) running Next ( 1.5 )

4) The adaptation of CoH to the UE4 based interpretation of CoH is close enough that a direct port is reasonable.
Missing Worlds Media - Lead Pain in the .. well everything.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #590 on: September 02, 2014, 11:08:34 PM »
It can be.  If it's organized this way with a titular "owner" for tax purposes, but actually run by someone else, this can be semi-shady, and the IRS (as they are wont to do) tends to frown on companies that set up this way in a less than legitimate manner.

Essentially the implication being made is that MWM is not a fully operational company in the classic sense.  But is a poorly capitalized, loosely organized federation of developers in a conveniently packaged shell corporation designed to minimize monetary liabilities.  Which really isn't all that far from the truth.
Of course as MWM is not set up in this way for tax purposes, but for copyright and trademark protection, does not apply.

If anything, we've rather overpaid our taxes to-date, as I know if we used our international nature of volunteers to our advantage, we could have used accounting tricks to avoid paying more. (set up subsidies in the Netherlands, Cayman and Ireland, and bam, "what taxes?" Good old Double Irish with a Dutch Sandwich)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 11:31:21 PM by downix »

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #591 on: September 02, 2014, 11:09:13 PM »
I've used this one before but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2PLls02gOU

Hey!  THEM is one of my favorite old horror movies of all time!  Now I'm gonna find it on youtube because those movies....easy to find em!  And I wanna play fallout 3 now all of a sudden(though I like new vegas better).
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #592 on: September 02, 2014, 11:10:20 PM »
My dad has a pat answer for questions like this, but if you're not a Brit, you probably won't get it...

"When Nelson gets his eye back!"  :p

I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Xaphan

• Underling
« Reply #593 on: September 02, 2014, 11:20:32 PM »
Coming out of a long lurking period to poke my head out. Been keeping up with the efforts so far, but absolutely floored by the latest news, and still trying to read up on everything.

I know of course nothing is set in stone yet, and I must remain cautious about my optimism, but I can't help but feel excited about this. It's going to be hard to remain patient and await the next tidbit of news. :)

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #594 on: September 02, 2014, 11:31:03 PM »
There's the real possibility that it's organized this way as a form of tax dodge.  Not that dodging taxes is really WRONG or anything (show me where it's stated that a company or person is OBLIGATED to pay maximum possible taxes).

So businesses owned by women are not subject to taxation? I am learning a lot here today.  8)

I was just amused and annoyed that the person whom I was quoting seemed to view "woman-owned" as fitting right in with his list of other objectionable criteria. Truly: whut.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #595 on: September 02, 2014, 11:32:50 PM »
With all the "help" offers, I may as well mention the one thing I do.   Music.

I was wondering if CoH 1.5 would use the same music (not a bad thing at all...I LOVED the music in CoH) since that is probably a part of the IP?

If not, I could contribute.  Electronicy stuff, dubstep, traditional stuff...got it all.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #596 on: September 02, 2014, 11:44:46 PM »
I was wondering if CoH 1.5 would use the same music (not a bad thing at all...I LOVED the music in CoH) since that is probably a part of the IP?

Barring something unseen...It will be using the original music, where appropriate.

That said... As a game that's going to be expanding, It will need new music at some point.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #597 on: September 02, 2014, 11:47:22 PM »
Barring something unseen...It will be using the original music, where appropriate.

That said... As a game that's going to be expanding, It will need new music at some point.
This might a dumb question but will 1.5 have all of the zones and a few new zones?
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #598 on: September 03, 2014, 12:05:18 AM »
I feel where they're coming from. I'll still play, but I won't be able to get what I had back. I'm ok with this, but others aren't. And that's ok too.

He's essentially saying that when his characters died, the game died with them. I'm not so sure that accusing him of "never loving the game" is in order though, considering how much time he had put into it. Perhaps the love of the game and the love and care he put into his characters is too much for him to bear parting with. That doesn't mean he didn't love the game. In fact, it could mean exactly the opposite. Perhaps he loved the game TOO much. People were very, very attached to their characters. I'm not afraid to say I shed some tears when it finally hit me that I wouldn't be able to ever play my Warshade (as he was) again. This game meant something to people.

My heart goes out to folks who are troubled by the lack of character data being transferred.
I remember chatting with one of the NPC's that would tell me how many hours my character had logged...well over 5000. Badge count was over 1200, 1323, I think. Had almost all of them. Those lengthy shard TFs, the pvp badges! Ugh..that was back when Siren's Call was new and was super-awesome(pre-issue 13)! I'd hate to have to get those again post-issue 13!
But - please remember to tell your friends this: nothing is cast in stone. Character data *might* get put on the table. I'm not at all sure how that would get worked out, or how much extra it would cost, but it's in the realm of possibility. I don't think it's likely, but it is possible.

As a player that had a ton of level 50's, well, if you have the time, it's easy to do. It really is easy once you know how. But, circumstances change. Some of you who were kids when you played are now adults. You have jobs. Some of you who were young adults have now graduated and not only have a job, but a wife and one or more children. Even if the wife and kids are on board, there are so many other things that take precedence over game time. Homework, if you're kids are playing. Can't be missing the book reports and the math questions for a task/strike force!
In my case, I'm actually concerned that I'll blimp out again after having lost a great deal of weight. I'm not even sure I can play CoH without pop-tarts or pizza nearby. I'm not sure Ezekiel Bread and tuna will fill that same roll. (Role! Had to sneak a weak pun in.)

Time does change things. I'm not at all sure I want to play 14 hours a day, even on a weekend like I did before. (I was unemployed for a year in 2011) That's just playing to be playing, forgetting about the real world. I'll be far more casual than I ever was - but you can bet I'll get me a level 50 as quickly as I can so I can lead those iTrials.

Which - now that I think of it, those will be interesting. Didn't we have to be subscribed to play those? I'm not at all sure we'll be able to play those unless the new team can somehow make everyone appear to be a subscriber. Not at all sure how that will be worked out. I'm so glad that's not my problem - yet!  ;D

I would tell your friend not to worry about it. A lot of us do understand that time that was invested in the characters. I do get the disappointment, and the reluctance to reinvest that time (again!) with the only reward being the return of what you already had. That's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. No hard feelings here. I've a feeling we'll be missing several people with that view. Guess that's life in the big City of Heroes.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Cyclone Jack

• Underling
« Reply #599 on: September 03, 2014, 12:06:26 AM »
This progress makes me smile.

See:   ;D