Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1712720 times)

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #480 on: September 02, 2014, 03:56:44 PM »
He's a nice guy.  No real reason to insult him.   The definition of "the game" is not the same for everyone.   Some think of it as just the blank state of the game, others see it as what they personally built it to be.

I didn't insult him.  If you took it that way, well... All I can say is it wasn't intended to be one, at all.

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #481 on: September 02, 2014, 03:57:26 PM »
Suggestion to Titan mods: add downix to the mod list for this sub-forum, please.
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

InOnePiece

• Minion
« Reply #482 on: September 02, 2014, 04:01:06 PM »
Since we're going to be using a version of the City of Titans UE4 build, more work on character creation and powers and what have you is dependent on their work schedule.

I guess I'm not really understanding this point from everything, and it's probably just my own density. What I am assuming is that the basic way the powers are chosen and enhanced is identical between CoH and CoT. In other words, you choose Hover, then you six slot it, then you put enhancements in it - but not six of the same kind because, you know, that would be weird. What does it mean for APR to use CoT's build?

Surelle

« Reply #483 on: September 02, 2014, 04:07:19 PM »
I see a lot of possibilities and it is great that the team is thinking out of the box.

For those worried about the Original CoH shutting down - this opens the possibility that you may be able to fund your own server. If you have funds once the game is in escrow and you can load that snapshot onto a server - nothing would stop you from leasing your own copy and hosting a server....

I can't picture NCSoft even remotely agreeing to let whomever run copies of CoH wherever and whenever they want, or making that snapshot available to more than just the Hail Mary Team (and they'll probably only get one snapshot at that-- hope they at least make a few copies in case the original backup gets corrupted!).

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #484 on: September 02, 2014, 04:08:27 PM »
I didn't insult him.  If you took it that way, well... All I can say is it wasn't intended to be one, at all.
He did indeed love the game.   It's just that the game as he knew it is gone if his characters are gone.

Surelle

« Reply #485 on: September 02, 2014, 04:12:27 PM »
He did indeed love the game.   It's just that the game as he knew it is gone if his characters are gone.

Well, if this all even happens (which, given NCSoft's prior track record, still isn't that likely), it sounds like your friend won't be playing the original CoH.  That's fine.  It's understandable.  But it's his loss.

Shard

• Lieutenant
    • City of Titans
« Reply #486 on: September 02, 2014, 04:13:01 PM »
"Similar game play" sounds more vague than what Irish Girl posted yesterday.

There are varying degrees of optimism as to how closely CoH can be mechanically emulated - will your level 50 with the same slots slotted while killing Skullz:

* be the same play
  * feel like the same play
  * feel close enough to the same play that only certain build combinations will feel slighted **
  * feel close enough even though nothing is perfect but most everyone is happy
  * Look, you get Paragon City back, everything else is cake.

Most likely it will be the middle three barring some documentation coming to light that I've been told doesn't exist.

This completely discounts the possibility that the 1.5 ( really not keen on that labelling ) will be City of Titans game engine, set in the CoH universe(s) which would be somewhere between the latter two on that list.

** Let's be realistic, this will happen even when the i23 servers come back up. :)

Missing Worlds Media - Lead Pain in the .. well everything.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #487 on: September 02, 2014, 04:20:25 PM »
Well, if this all even happens (which, given NCSoft's prior track record, still isn't that likely), it sounds like your friend won't be playing the original CoH.  That's fine.  It's understandable.  But it's his loss.
Important to remember that "his loss" happens whether he comes back or not if his characters are gone.

Wammo

• Lieutenant
« Reply #488 on: September 02, 2014, 04:23:51 PM »
I am left stunned at this news. I am excited on the one hand and yet on the other a bit disappointed. It is disappointing to think that the game will not evolve and continue to be expanded and disappointing to think the game will once again end at some point due to the release of Windows 9.

I am also left with a HUGE question...will this new release/version of the game still be playable on the Mac?

Any reservations/disappointments aside...I am happy we may be playing again someday.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #489 on: September 02, 2014, 04:24:13 PM »
That MWM somehow misused their funding to switch game engines from Unreal Engine 3 to Unreal Engine 4.  And that this transition set them back irreparably.
Unreal Engine 3 has zero MMO support.  Meaning that MWM would have had to either create their own code for handling the MMO portion of the game, or contract a third party to do so.  Such would have taken an unknown amount of time.  Unreal Engine 4 on the other hand has built in MMO support.  This is why when MWM was offered the chance to upgrade their licenses to the newer version they did so enthusiastically.  As this would be one less thing to have to work out. 

There's also the fact that the license terms for UE4 are actually FAR friendlier than they are for UE3.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #490 on: September 02, 2014, 04:26:20 PM »
Marvel Heroes uses unreal engine 3 and it is an arpg mmo, and it has become really popular and tons of fun now, so to say UE3 has zero mmo support is well wrong.

Yes.  And Marvel had to basically build all their MMO structure from scratch, because UE3 is primarily an FPS/TPS engine.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #491 on: September 02, 2014, 04:27:52 PM »
I guess I'm not really understanding this point from everything, and it's probably just my own density. What I am assuming is that the basic way the powers are chosen and enhanced is identical between CoH and CoT. In other words, you choose Hover, then you six slot it, then you put enhancements in it - but not six of the same kind because, you know, that would be weird. What does it mean for APR to use CoT's build?
No, CoT's power system is different, more flexible. The adapting will be up to APR.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #492 on: September 02, 2014, 04:29:06 PM »
There are varying degrees of optimism as to how closely CoH can be mechanically emulated - will your level 50 with the same slots slotted while killing Skullz:

* be the same play
  * feel like the same play
  * feel close enough to the same play that only certain build combinations will feel slighted **
  * feel close enough even though nothing is perfect but most everyone is happy
  * Look, you get Paragon City back, everything else is cake.

Most likely it will be the middle three barring some documentation coming to light that I've been told doesn't exist.

This completely discounts the possibility that the 1.5 ( really not keen on that labelling ) will be City of Titans game engine, set in the CoH universe(s) which would be somewhere between the latter two on that list.

** Let's be realistic, this will happen even when the i23 servers come back up. :)
I do expect it to look different (that's part of the appeal right there).   If the animations aren't exactly alike that won't bother me.   I mostly just want all the powers to work the same way.   Baddies falling down a different way on my ice slick will still be awesome.   And if I'm still slotting everything the same way after crafting the enhancement the same way, I'm fine.

Shard

• Lieutenant
    • City of Titans
« Reply #493 on: September 02, 2014, 04:30:08 PM »
I am also left with a HUGE question...will this new release/version of the game still be playable on the Mac?

I cannot speak 100% authoratively on the intents of the management team for the intended 1.5 side of the house, but I have personally played UE4 assets for our side of things on Windows and a Steambox. MacOS is well supported, the toolchain is even native - I just haven't tried that particular build yet, though I think I should do that today.

Our primary targets are Windows and Mac. Linux(s) is highly desired but right now looks limited to debians that are very close to SteamOS specs.
Missing Worlds Media - Lead Pain in the .. well everything.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #494 on: September 02, 2014, 04:31:20 PM »
I am left stunned at this news. I am excited on the one hand and yet on the other a bit disappointed. It is disappointing to think that the game will not evolve and continue to be expanded and disappointing to think the game will once again end at some point due to the release of Windows 9.

Any reservations/disappointments aside...I am happy we may be playing again someday.
Something tells me the OP should be updated with answers to the questions and answers throughout the thread.

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #496 on: September 02, 2014, 04:33:22 PM »
Long time lurker here.  I am so happy that I might get the chance to go home again.

Every time I sit down to my computer, part of me is thinking "I wish I was logging into CoH".

On losing old account info and character data: 

The several hundred million in INF and all those IOs will be missed, but not too much.  I can always get more.
Starting my alternate selves over again is no big deal.  I deleted and restarted dozens of characters (yes even level 50's) over the years.
Losing my SG and Base?  Well yeah that hurts.  That base took me literally years to build.  But, I'll adapt and thrive anyway.
Losing all those purchased unlocks and all my vet rewards (if we do...) will be really painful.  I'd come to rely on some of those rewards.
[I'm looking at you Mr. "skip hover" reward].  Plus Doctor Device just won't be the same without his Hover Board.  But, again, I'll adapt if I have to.

At the end of the day, all that truly matters is getting to go home again.

FYI - Irish_Girl:  I know bubkiss about 2D/3D Modelling, but if you ever need a code-monkey for "normal" programming,
I'm more than happy to lend a hand.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #497 on: September 02, 2014, 04:37:32 PM »
Question on "binary compatibility" with Windows 9. Is there more detail on what the incompatibility is?

Basically there's some noise about Intel pushing an IA-128 architecture and having a Win9 version available.

If that's the case, you probably wouldn't see IA-32 (32-bit Windows compatibility).  But the number of people running 128-bit Windows up front is going to be RIDICULOUSLY small (assuming it's a non-zero number to begin with).

For anyone running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Win9, at least at this juncture, there's nothing in the pipeline that should interfere with CoH.

I've been following Win9 fairly carefully (as I'd like to avoid the crap that sank Win8).  And, thus far, I haven't seen anything else that should be problematic to the operations of CoH.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #498 on: September 02, 2014, 04:41:27 PM »
"Similar game play" sounds more vague than what Irish Girl posted yesterday.

so many of the basic design decisions for COX were superior to anything out there. I currently play swtor and am always asking "Why in the XXXX dir you do it this way???" cox was so far ahead of the other mmos it isnt even funny.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #499 on: September 02, 2014, 04:41:52 PM »
Basically there's some noise about Intel pushing an IA-128 architecture and having a Win9 version available.

If that's the case, you probably wouldn't see IA-32 (32-bit Windows compatibility).  But the number of people running 128-bit Windows up front is going to be RIDICULOUSLY small (assuming it's a non-zero number to begin with).

For anyone running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Win9, at least at this juncture, there's nothing in the pipeline that should interfere with CoH.

I've been following Win9 fairly carefully (as I'd like to avoid the crap that sank Win8).  And, thus far, I haven't seen anything else that should be problematic to the operations of CoH.
Don't be hating on windows 8!