Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1712151 times)

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #420 on: September 02, 2014, 11:20:07 AM »

That MWM somehow misused their funding to switch game engines from Unreal Engine 3 to Unreal Engine 4.  And that this transition set them back irreparably.
Unreal Engine 3 has zero MMO support.  Meaning that MWM would have had to either create their own code for handling the MMO portion of the game, or contract a third party to do so.  Such would have taken an unknown amount of time.  Unreal Engine 4 on the other hand has built in MMO support.  This is why when MWM was offered the chance to upgrade their licenses to the newer version they did so enthusiastically.  As this would be one less thing to have to work out. 

This is an exceptionally prudent choice, by my understanding of things. I'm part of a small indie studio that's just starting out, and our lead codemonkey has raved about the wonders of UE4.

nactishe

• Underling
« Reply #421 on: September 02, 2014, 11:21:35 AM »
Why not book a meeting with Taek Jin Kim, and two or three of you get on a plane to Korea? I would help fund such a visit, and I'm sure others would as well. It wouldn't be that expensive if you fly economy. You can schedule a meeting directly with Taek via the executive admin call direct, they all speak very good english (as most attended school in USA). I think its awesome what you guys are doing, but there us nothing better than a face-to-face meeting. Especially with Korean business.

whadya think? up for the trip? let us know how to help fund it!

parabola

• Underling
« Reply #422 on: September 02, 2014, 11:28:29 AM »
Source code vs compiled (binary). Source code is the understandable language used to write a program using some kind of editor. The languages vary but they tend to look like reasonably normal language with commands in English words. So 10 print "hello world", 20 goto 10 is an example of source code. However a computer can't directly run this. It compiles this into binary which is going to something like 10011010001011011110etcetc. You can imagine the sheer scale of the 1's and 0's for something the size of coh. Even if you have the source you need the tool used to interpret it or you'll also be left with gibberish. So no source and no tools essentially means a program that can be run but that can't be developed at all.

Endless thanks to all involved in this. If funds ever become an issue please let us know!

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #423 on: September 02, 2014, 11:31:20 AM »

At an indeterminate point in time, i23 game closes (license from NCSoft is no longer required) and City of Heroes in U4 becomes the sole City of Heroes game available, in a modern engine, with continuing development.

My big concern about all this, at some point when the "COH 1.5" game  goes live, do our characters from the I23 servers get ported over, or do we have to start all over again?  Personally, I would have to wait until the newer game goes live - I don't care to do the leveling grind twice.  Not to mention the iTrials grind.
--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #424 on: September 02, 2014, 11:34:29 AM »
To save on heartbreak, there are no promises being made that you will be able to transfer your I23 build characters to COH 1.5.  They will cross that bridge when they get there as it were... 8)
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!

Gamerchamp

• Come from the Land Down
  • Lieutenant
  • City of Heroes/Villains
    • My Twitter
« Reply #425 on: September 02, 2014, 11:34:42 AM »
Hello guys just wanted to thank each and everyone involved in all these efforts past and future what you guys are doing right now will go down in history for sure.

We will definitely be backing you up so please don't hesitate to ask for help we will be happy to provide it keep doing what your doing because you all just plain rock.
@Str8Dumpin
Str8Dumpin Level 50 War Mace/Fiery Aura Tanker
Str8Away Level 50 Fire Control/Radiation Emission Controller
Str8Killer Level 50 Spines/Invulnerability Scrapper
Str8Ninja Level 50 Energy Melee/Ninjitsu Stalker

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #426 on: September 02, 2014, 11:39:22 AM »
Have no fear, I'm pretty sure I can fish up the binary offsets for the Regen powers in order to reduce their effectiveness periodically.

It wouldn't be a new issue without a Regen nerf ;)

Wulfen

• Underling
« Reply #427 on: September 02, 2014, 11:40:45 AM »
If this gets pulled off, this will be awesome.  Since after the proposed port to UE4 is completed, the game can once again begin expanding.  With a (possible) link to the 'successor games' they could be construed as different cities in the same world/universe.

World of Heroes!  Universe of Heroes! Multiverse of Heroes!  (and Villains lol)

Plus additions to Paragon City.

On that note, will Mission Architect still be active?  (I assume and hope so) with Player Generated Content being generated again, then the players will help expand the universe that way as well.

Anything I can do, I will.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #428 on: September 02, 2014, 11:41:08 AM »
Here is an example pic of Atlas Park in Unreal Engine.  http://apr.pc-logix.com/uploads/gallery/album_1/gallery_1_1_14817.jpg

I much prefer this picture.  8)
(See spoiler)

Spoiler for Hidden:
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #429 on: September 02, 2014, 11:42:50 AM »
(See spoiler)

Spoiler for Hidden:

I like this so hard.

It also makes me want to play the game so badly it hurts, haha! For now, at least, that's what dreams are for :)
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

AnElfCalledMack

• Minion
« Reply #430 on: September 02, 2014, 11:44:17 AM »
Can someone enlighten me to as what the source code would be exactly? Is that different from the game engine?
So, when you write a program you use a programming language, like C# or Python. This lets you use a series of preset commands, and to define your own commands for later use. The source code is basically a text file that contains a whole bunch of words and punctuation in that language that says what you want the program to do under any and all circumstances. But computers aren't very good with words. They need their instructions in as simple a form as possible, which is called "machine code" or a "binary file". Also an "executable file", because the computer can just do what it says. A compiler takes the text file full of words, and turns it into binary instructions the processor can understand. But editing machine code is very difficult, especially for something as big as a full game. Some people can do it, but it's slow, laborious, and prone to devastating errors. Doing enough work to add entire powersets (like adding i24 would involve) is theoretically possible, but the timescale would be immense. Like, decades or more.

The game engine is what makes the game's variables change. It's what rolls to hit, makes a bad guy's HP go down when you hit them with a power, and gives you inf and a chance at drops when you defeat them. The game engine and the game client (which has all the art, maps, effects, text, etc) both have source code, designed to interact in a bunch of ways to let you play the game and see the same world as everyone else. But it's the binary files, the machine code, that actually let them work. So if NCSoft released binaries for the server and client, you'd be able to play, but not edit. If they released the source code, you could edit to your heart's content, but you'd need to find or build a compiler before you could use the modified game code.

SypherVendetta

• Underling
« Reply #431 on: September 02, 2014, 11:44:24 AM »
That MWM somehow misused their funding to switch game engines from Unreal Engine 3 to Unreal Engine 4.  And that this transition set them back irreparably.
Unreal Engine 3 has zero MMO support.  Meaning that MWM would have had to either create their own code for handling the MMO portion of the game, or contract a third party to do so.  Such would have taken an unknown amount of time.  Unreal Engine 4 on the other hand has built in MMO support.  This is why when MWM was offered the chance to upgrade their licenses to the newer version they did so enthusiastically.  As this would be one less thing to have to work out. 

Marvel Heroes uses unreal engine 3 and it is an arpg mmo, and it has become really popular and tons of fun now, so to say UE3 has zero mmo support is well wrong.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #432 on: September 02, 2014, 11:46:05 AM »
Irish_Girl can correct me if I am incorrect in any of my understandings of this project.   ;D

And no, Your post seems pretty spot on.
"Let's get dangerous..."

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #433 on: September 02, 2014, 11:46:11 AM »
Windows 9: Muffin Edition?

Editable, not edible.
Or... maybe edible is better.

Gamerchamp

• Come from the Land Down
  • Lieutenant
  • City of Heroes/Villains
    • My Twitter
« Reply #434 on: September 02, 2014, 11:48:09 AM »
(See spoiler)

Spoiler for Hidden:

Wow so that's what Atlas Park looks like in Unreal 4 that is just stunning just imagine what the rest would look like *drools*.
@Str8Dumpin
Str8Dumpin Level 50 War Mace/Fiery Aura Tanker
Str8Away Level 50 Fire Control/Radiation Emission Controller
Str8Killer Level 50 Spines/Invulnerability Scrapper
Str8Ninja Level 50 Energy Melee/Ninjitsu Stalker

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #435 on: September 02, 2014, 11:50:49 AM »
Marvel Heroes uses unreal engine 3 and it is an arpg mmo, and it has become really popular and tons of fun now, so to say UE3 has zero mmo support is well wrong.

UDK/UE3 had horrendous MMO support. Most MMOs that used UE3 had to implement a lot of things themselves. While yes, there are MMOs that use UE3, It's far from Ideal.
I remember a certain very, very long day with Neo and myself working on APR trying to figure out HOW to make it act like an MMO.

For us, it was far FAR less time and effort to move to Unreal Engine 4, than it would have to try and fight with UE3. Plus, the engine is just SO much easier to work with.
"Let's get dangerous..."

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #436 on: September 02, 2014, 11:51:56 AM »
(See spoiler)

Spoiler for Hidden:

That was the picture I was actually looking for.... ;D

I so want to go there...  ;)
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #437 on: September 02, 2014, 11:53:23 AM »
That was the picture I was actually looking for.... ;D

I so want to go there...  ;)

;D Yeah, It's pretty. You guys should see it in-game. hehe.
"Let's get dangerous..."

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #438 on: September 02, 2014, 11:55:53 AM »
For us, it was far FAR less time and effort to move to Unreal Engine 4, than it would have to try and fight with UE3. Plus, the engine is just SO much easier to work with.

So, for the curious, would it be possible to enlighten us as to the current state of progress in APR?  Do you have any zones "finished"?  Can you walk around in any of them? Is there any kind of character creation in the works?

Also, just as an aside, are you re-creating the map geometries from scratch, or are you importing it from the game files?

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #439 on: September 02, 2014, 11:56:13 AM »
;D Yeah, It's pretty. You guys should see it in-game. hehe.

Is that what the team has been proving to NCsoft :)