Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1712673 times)

Perplexite

• New Efforts # 6,000!
  • Minion
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #380 on: September 02, 2014, 06:23:43 AM »
Wanna chip in and say Thank You for taking the time to inform us! It means a whole bucket of lots to me and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Will keep my eye out and leave my karma-account open to you!
@.Q on Union Server

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #381 on: September 02, 2014, 06:40:19 AM »
Thanks to Downix and all involved. Good news :)

By the way, should we not have one thread for this? Its confusing with three.

Warhawk2012

• Underling
« Reply #382 on: September 02, 2014, 06:51:50 AM »
I don't know what to say.  I am singularly blown away by this news.  That you guys have made, not only this effort, but exercised infinitely greater patience than I could have mustered.  You have my respect and admiration, regardless of which way this goes.  You have all demonstrated one of the underlying things that brought this community together...Hope!  We await an answer...patiently.  It's the least we can do.  Thank you all once again.

[EDIT: Removed completely unnecessary quote of giant original post. ~Agge]
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:03:26 AM by Aggelakis »
These chains of shadows and darkness won't hold us forever. Do you hear that distant thunder coming inevitably closer? That is Us. That is the legion of Gods and Titans you thought you could send away to a place of nothing. We told you as you gloated over your 'Victory." We would come back.

esqesque

• Underling
« Reply #383 on: September 02, 2014, 07:00:18 AM »
First off, kudos to everyone involved with getting this far in the negotiations. Whatever else may happen, you have my (at least) thanks and gratitude.

One thing I've noticed in all the talk is there is no discussion about whether CiOX, COH or whichever successor(s) emerge will be Mac-compatible or supported. It may be too early to say, but is that anticipated? (And if I've missed that discussion, please forgive me).

(Wrote the person who came to COX because I could play it on my Mac).

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:06:01 AM by esqesque »

AnElfCalledMack

• Minion
« Reply #384 on: September 02, 2014, 07:10:18 AM »
First off, kudos to everyone involved with getting this far in the negotiations. Whatever else may happen, you have my (at least) thanks and gratitude.

One thing I've noticed in all the talk is there is no discussion about whether CiOX, COH or whichever successor(s) emerge will be Mac-compatible or supported. It may be too early to say, but is that anticipated? (And if I've missed that discussion, please forgive me).

Thanks again!
If the old Mac client still works, it'll be fine. The negotiations are pretty strictly server-side. But if new OSX updates have broken the client (and it's hard to tell if they have without a server to test on), then there won't be many tools to update it.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #385 on: September 02, 2014, 07:22:54 AM »
The main thing I'm getting from this, with regards to your Atlas Park Revival project and CoH 1.5, is that oh boy, you are REALLY going to need some help!

No one could possibly hope to code CoH 1.5, solo, in any achievable time scale. Not for the kind of end result the player base would expect.

Well, I wasn't planning on staying solo! Especially since I code one BUGGY Hello World.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #386 on: September 02, 2014, 07:24:50 AM »
Well, I wasn't planning on staying solo! Especially since I code one BUGGY Hello World.

Must be a damned scary prospect, having that dropped in your lap!

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #387 on: September 02, 2014, 07:26:20 AM »
Thanks again!

As long as the Issue 23 client worked on OSX, which to my knowledge it did. I doubt anything's changed in that time on OSX's side to break that.

Revival will be available on Windows, and Mac OSX. I'm not confident to say that the OSX version will launch alongside the PC release, only that there will be one.
"Let's get dangerous..."

zaran

• Underling
« Reply #388 on: September 02, 2014, 07:28:55 AM »
Thanks to all for getting this far.

To Nate and the rest of TFHM, thank you for your continued efforts.

To IronWolf, thank you for kickstarting the process again and not giving up hope.

To Mr. Yoon, thank you for being willing to listen to our request and introduce us to Mr. Chung. You honor us with your trust.

To Mr. Chung, thank you for listening to us and for continuing to work toward a result that NC Soft and ourselves can be happy with. 

To TonyV and everyone here at Titan Network, thanks for keeping the dream alive.

And to everyone else, thanks for being part of the greatest game community in the world.

I look forward to the day I can fly again. If not in CoH, then in Titan City or elsewhere. The important thing is that I will not fly alone.

Rigo42

• Minion
« Reply #389 on: September 02, 2014, 07:30:14 AM »
Thank you for this, many of us understand the reason for the long wait times. This is just how this business works. I am glad you are finally able to get this off your shoulders :)
Awaiting the day I can return to my childhood-created hero :)

blue storm

• Boss
  • #savecoh
    • Freedom Academy
« Reply #390 on: September 02, 2014, 07:48:53 AM »

Another voice echoing what others have been expressing : amazement at the scope and gratitude.

I know how difficult what you are trying to achieve is and I commend your effort and the manner in which they are being pursued. I am confident in your capability to achieve that goal, and will hold the torch for as long as necessary in the meantime

Let's put me up of a lifetime sub(s) ;-)
--

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #391 on: September 02, 2014, 07:57:52 AM »
Yes I think that without the source code, its just like reviving the game for a little while so you can say your final goodbyes... But I wonder if the source code is completely off the table, or is it just not part of the current talks?
Bones! Revive the prisoner... Jim it'll kill him! He is dead anyway.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #392 on: September 02, 2014, 08:01:17 AM »
Imagine a moment that CoH and, say, Lineage II share some key piece of code. Now, Lineage II is still in service in Asia, so this code, if sold, would cause a major problem for NCSoft in supporting their millions of customers in Asia. Now imagine CoH and Aion shared some other code. Then CoH and Guild Wars 2.... just how do you untangle the spiderweb of interconnected strands between all of these games which may or may not share code? NCSoft may not even know how tangled things are.
Couldn't you just sign a piece of paper saying we wont sue you no matter what?

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #393 on: September 02, 2014, 08:04:42 AM »
While it is still way to early to know how this will pan out, but some of the fees paid on the 'maintenance mode' I23 'classic" CoH might be used to pay expenses used to make the Unreal 4 "CoH 1.5" version.  Particularly if those two are being managed by the same company.
I am curious. Would we have the ability to edit and add content to the CoH 1.5 version?

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #394 on: September 02, 2014, 08:07:01 AM »
I am curious. Would we have the ability to edit and add content to the CoH 1.5 version?

That would kinda be the whole point...

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #395 on: September 02, 2014, 08:07:59 AM »
This is what seems likeliest to me. Regardless of anything else, it's a major MMO which means it has to have been fairly standards compliant. Generally the older games that didn't play fast and loose with things to try and get something running or squeeze more performance do just fine under compat mode.
Lets be honest it would be SUICIDE for Microsoft to screw this like this up. They need a STUD OS and this would NOT be a stud OS... I hope they arnt that dumb... they might not get away with it this time.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #396 on: September 02, 2014, 08:08:58 AM »
That would kinda be the whole point...
I mean just because it is compatible with windows 9 ETC. doesn't mean it is editable ;)

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #397 on: September 02, 2014, 08:17:13 AM »
I mean just because it is compatible with windows 9 ETC. doesn't mean it is editable ;)

It's being written from scratch... Of course it's editable...

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #398 on: September 02, 2014, 08:20:35 AM »
It's being written from scratch... Of course it's editable...

Windows 9: Muffin Edition?
"Let's get dangerous..."

SypherVendetta

• Underling
« Reply #399 on: September 02, 2014, 08:31:04 AM »
If everything goes as planned you could always turn to crowd funding on kickstarter and the community i'm sure will help one way or the other, i know i definitely would like to help out in some shape or form, even if it's holding a banner outside starbucks at 7am to get people to play this game haha!