Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1712137 times)

Artillerie

• Lieutenant
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 09:23:25 PM »
Thank you for the news :) Wishing you all the best for the onward progress of the venture, it all sounds very interesting!

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 09:23:37 PM »
To heck with it, I'm going to ask my questions. The worst that can happen is they can be ignored. :D

First, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the update. Win or lose, success or failure, at least you've made the effort and you've gone farther than anyone else has to this point. You have my gratitude-- and that of many others-- for making the effort. You have all given us hope in a dark time.

Questions:

1. When you say the other games will have the option to remove the "Spiritual" successor and go with something more official, will they be allowed to allowed to use the lore of COX (hero groups, villains, etc), and the various AT mechanics? Will they be buying a license to allow this?

2. Who will own the IP of COX? This will be a completely separate company from MWM?

3. If successful, will you continue working as part of MWM AND the COX venture?

Fleur_uk

• Lieutenant
  • @Fleur_Eriss
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2014, 09:23:39 PM »
Thank you :) wow eeek .... :D

Surelle

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2014, 09:24:02 PM »
Thank you for all the time and effort you have put forth so far, and I hope everything goes well of course!

Er, are you really planning to migrate everyone off the original CoH right away when Windows 9 launches, or only years from now after everyone has universally adopted Windows 9, at which point CoH will no longer run for anyone because it won't be compatible with Win 9?   Because MS is showing off Win 9 publicly this September and wants to release it in 2015.  So how would you even get a reverse-engineered server completed for CoH before Win 9 launches?  I was figuring reverse-engineering would take 6 months to a year at a best-case scenario.

It's interesting that all the CoH spiritual successors may have the ability to reference CoH without penalty.  That could be opening a can of worms if they're not all ultimately high-quality games though.  I suspect NCSoft will do ongoing reviews of each game before it launches just in case. 

This sounds like it could be interesting, but it also all sounds a really long ways off.  I hope Team Hail Mary doesn't get harassed to death in the interim, and I wish the whole team the best of luck in getting CoH back and the sequels off the ground.  And even if it all comes to naught, I appreciate the time and dedication that everyone involved has shown.

Thanks, and have a great day!

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2014, 09:24:18 PM »
Um... wow.

I... errrr... wow.

(10 minutes later)

Okay, next question - "licensing the IP"... does that mean if, say, someone wanted to start writing books for the CoH IP, that spinoff company would be the one we'd talk to? Or is it solely for GAMING purposes?

(Yes I realize that's contingent on said sale actually going through.)

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The goal is to have a spot to go for yes, writing books, licensing logos for shirts, etc.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2014, 09:27:30 PM »
Best wishes on everything!  I23 Maintenance Mode can work.  Here's hoping we can access it, play it, and rebuild on it.

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2014, 09:27:58 PM »
Downix, and everyone else at MWM, Ironwolf, and everybody that has been involved in this process so far (yes, that includes NCSoft):

Thank you.

Thank you for taking the time, and looking to do it right.

Thank you for the hope this brings.

Thank you for working to bring our home back.

I know there is a long way to go, and I know there is a lot more to do, and I know this idea isn't in the bag. I sincerely hope it works to everyone's satisfaction.

Thank you.
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2014, 09:28:29 PM »
I will do my best Wayne and Garth...

"We're not worthy!"

TheBeatnik

• Minion
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2014, 09:28:46 PM »
There's plenty to ponder here.

While I'm still digesting the news and speculating about implications, let me add my thanks to the team. Good luck, I'll be pulling for you guys.

DemonCaller

• Underling
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2014, 09:29:19 PM »
I'm floored. At least the part of me that kept saying that this was yet another failed pass is floored.

You just gave me another reason to get my computer fixed to get back up and running. Maybe even get that flame orange case I started to get it last month.

Tying CoH into CoT and Valance? All I can say is " Holy Mother of God and Rassilon!" (it's what I say when I'm floored like this, k?) That is ambitious.....

I gotta admire you for thinking big...no matter what happens. Thank you!

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2014, 09:29:50 PM »
I'm not sure as to whether Downix pulled a Nemesis or a Requiem here, but either way well done sir! And thank you very much for your efforts!
I will admit as well that it is very encouraging to finally hear something concrete about this deal and get confirmation that it is 101% real, so thanks very much for that too :)

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2014, 09:30:33 PM »
Wooooot!

We're nearly there!   ;D
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Mental Minister

• Underling
  • I love Beer, Bikes, and (.Y.)
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2014, 09:30:47 PM »
Thanks for the update and for you hard work. As for now I will continue to wait patiently for the outcome.
My arm hurts holding this torch. I shall endore

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2014, 09:31:38 PM »
Okay. I guess I have one more question because it's unclear to me.

So "COX 1.5" would be a port of COX into the Unreal Engine. Does that mean there would be no official COX 2?

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2014, 09:32:28 PM »
This is....intriguing!
So many questions...but ... I'll keep my trap shut for now.

Very interesting stuff!

But..with Windows 9 supposedly being released very soon...some estimates at April, 2015, others say even earlier because of the flop that Windows 8 is...that really limits the time of this migration, I'm thinking. Or maybe it doesn't. No rule says we have to get Windows 9 right away - at least, I hope not.

I would be willing to have a CoX-dedicated PC that I did nothing else with, but keep the game on.

Here's my question [rhetorical only at this point]: if we get the game back, are we going to be able to use the game version we have DLed on our PC, the original one I mean? Or would we have to buy and install a new one?

Is the old version so tied to our original accounts that we could not use it? I would happily buy a new copy, I'm just curious.

FourSpeed

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2014, 09:32:37 PM »
Interesting news.

Thanks for the update, and your team's efforts, downix.

GL on finalizing the deal in the (relatively?) near future. 

It's a shame you can't seem to get the source code for I23/24 (something compilable at least). If it's
true that Win-9 would likely break the binary anyway, that seems like a fairly short-lived resurrection
(W9 is rumoured to release Q2-Q3 of 2015).

I suppose anything is better than nothing, but that news is both intriguing ... and disappointing in its way.

In any case that doesn't detract from the grattitude I feel for making those efforts - thank you.

Regards,

Lava-Lad

• Minion
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2014, 09:33:03 PM »
Thank you, Downix and the whole team!  Your approach has worked well enough to get this far, so keep up the good work and let us know when we can pop the corks!!

amethyst.andi

• Underling
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2014, 09:34:08 PM »
Thank you so much, guys.  It is very much appreciated.

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2014, 09:34:13 PM »
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2014, 09:35:37 PM »
Excellent news!!  The teams respectful approach to NCSoft speaks volumes, well done!!