Author Topic: If COX comes back, anyone have thoughts on Roleplay concequences of shut down?  (Read 19071 times)

impiousimp

• Lieutenant
For roleplay purposes.

Like, was the city destroyed, is this another dimension courtesy of Portal Corp?

Was it all really just a nemesis plot? 

Many people who migrated to CO either regard Paragon as a dead or another dimension, the latter is what I subscribe to given the drastically different tone differences between the two games.  That said it might be nice to have a player canon to rely on, if the people who run the show don't come up with something on their own.

The floor is open.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
I imagine a lot of this will be different between super group to super group, person to person.

I know my SG decided that Paragon wasn't blowing up when everyone else did. Some weird thing happened and people ended up in the COverse and decided to help out while figuring out what happened and deciding what to do next.

A LOT of people went with the doomsday notion.

This does concern me a bit, as I really don't enjoy the thought of the world having blown up, and anyone bringing that up to one of my characters will likely be met with confused looks and denials. The trick with RPing in CoH though was always to be very flexible with canon. To some, they'd just ran a TF and their characters wanted to brag about it, but very rarely was it being treated (in my circles anyway) like the official one time only run  of that TF. Just that Numina needed some help and things happened, or that the City Council needed saving AGAIN. So I'd just advise for flexibility while keeping with what makes you and others happy.
Woo! - Argent Girl

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
Im not roleplaying the shutdown..

impiousimp

• Lieutenant
Makes sense.  For people who did choose the doomsday scenario they could do a number of scenarios, like mass hypnosis, or time jumps into the future.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
None of my characters will suffer any kind of downtime. They went to sleep on November 30th, and they'll wake up on X date, and the days in between those two dates will never happen.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
My main's backstory was actually a perfect fit for this. Attracted by more affordable rent than Providence, Safehouse moved to Paragon City from NYC when he began studying at Brown University. Having been a small time hero in NYC, he was hoping to make more of a name for himself since he no longer was competing with the "big time names" like Spider-Man. It kind of worked - student by day, hero by night. He became a famed hero in Paragon over the years. When he graduated from Brown, he decided to stay, studying for his Master's at the college in Steel Canyon.

The way I see it, Safehouse began to disagree more and more with the FBSA, the way it did things, and how it ran its heroes (not intended as a statement on CoH itself, but just kind of how I see SH doing things). When a mission gone wrong resulted in the death of his best friend, Safehouse had had enough. In a terrible depression, with the darkness threatening to take him, he left Paragon City to be with his family in New York. Now, he is in retirement.

If the game were to come back, or if there were a CoH2, or if/when CoT takes off, they will have begged and pressed Safehouse to come out of retirement. He would have been convinced that the time was right for him to stop wallowing and begin fighting for righteousness again.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
From an RP perspective we can't really ignore 2+ years of shutdown.  Some people took their toons to CO or TSW and continued their stories there.  My stance is what happened to Primal Earth is a mystery, about which there will be many theories.  Perhaps Ouroboros time-skipped Primal Earth and Praetoria in order to avoid a cosmic event or superweapon or something along those lines.  I prefer to think it had something to do with the Battalion.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
My main will have something about jumping into the champions universe, and so forth. Some of other characters that I will be bringing back will have some kind f story about what they were doing between the end of the world and the resurrection :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Unless it's mentioned in the lore of the game, my characters will have spent the last two years doing the same heroic things they were doing before.

Remakes in  other games are alternate versions of my COX characters. :D

gypsyav

• Boss
For me it depends on whether we have our characters when the game begins. If we do I might just say they've just been going about their business of saving the world for the past 2 years. If we don't I'll be coming up with a way they all lost their powers and why they have to start over.

All of my toons were in a personal SG with a friend so I may just say there was an attack on our SG and all the heroes in it were thrown into another dimension. They finally found their way back but the strain of the trip drained their powers.
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
I did, in fact, role play the exit.  I played as the end of a treaty between mouse and man and the withdraw of mouse from Paragon City.  If it should be put back up, I will simply role play it as a new treaty was created and the mice have returned.
No Surrender!

Tacitala

• Boss
None of my characters will suffer any kind of downtime. They went to sleep on November 30th, and they'll wake up on X date, and the days in between those two dates will never happen.

This.  I refuse to allow NCSoft's bad decision interfere with my characters' stories.  If I must I will assume my character's just did their things while I was away.
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

Dinah Might

• Minion
Depends if they have a welcome back event

lintboy

• Underling
I have a character, named Vro'ngrak, whose bio sort of foreshadowed the shutdown/reset/missing time. I think, at least this one character, will accept full responsibility for "correcting" the time line and the fabric of existence.

This was his bio.

It is difficult to describe the Vro'ngrak in terms comprehensible by the human mind. If there were such a thing as a god of space and time and the laws of physics, the Vro'ngrak would be it. To be more accurate it is an aspect of the universal intelligence that maintains the structure of Universe itself. The Vro'ngrak is formless and eternal, and only appears in a human like form as it is the only way the mind of humans can comprehend it. The Vro'ngrak has appeared in this time-place to repair the damage being caused to the fabric of Universe by the dimension merging activities of the Rikti, Portal Corp, the Banished Pantheon, Praetoria, the Rularru, and the proliferation of beings with access to the Ouroboros. The activities of these entities are forming a tear that will ripple through Universe and destroy it over the next several billion years. The Vro'ngrak is here to repair this damage by interacting with the entities responsible to change the effects they are having on Universe.

So, if anyone asks... I did it.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
Anyone else remember the Top Cow comic? I personally explain the shutdown away as a "second Power outage" (Forgive the bad pun, but I don't know the actual name of that whole event canon-wise...) caused by some villain's meddling (Probably not Recluse again... Red-side players would be upset about that...).

Powers turned off "somehow", most supers1 went away because their powers were "gone".

New source of power found2, supers come back but have to start over and relearn their "new" powers3.

Kind of like someone pushed a "mass respec" button and respeced everyone all at the same time involuntarily, and now they have to learn a completely different build, which understandably takes some time to adjust to.

1Many Natural and Tech heroes would likely not be as effected by this since they don't have powers to begin with. See Manticore in the comic for this example.
2Maybe another myth similar to Prometheus' Flame could be used. Although, did they ever really establish when that whole storyline happened...? Alternately, all the heroes running amok through time via Ouroboros could have muddled the timeline and caused it to happen much later than it was suppose to, and hence why we never experienced it in-game, or for that matter caused a paradox that caused the whole of space-time to unravel and have to reset itself... Just a few theories...
3I'm not deluding myself into the idea that the game will relaunch with my characters intact. That would likely require more effort and transferring of customer information than NCSoft is willing to do. Regardless, releveling my characters will hardly be an issue for me.

erich

• Minion
    • Art of War Gaming
The first thing I will do if the game comes back is spam in open chat "TANK LFT!" :)
Art of War Gaming
A friendly community of gamers

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
The first thing I will do if the game comes back is spam in open chat "TANK LFT!" :)

We'll all be doing that, Erich, but the RP community will be doing a bit more besides.

Blackstar5

• Lieutenant
Personally I'm going with the "Dallas" Idea where the 2 years in between then and whenever were all a bad dream.(For those of you old enough to know what I'm talking about).

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
Personally I'm going with the "Dallas" Idea where the 2 years in between then and whenever were all a bad dream.(For those of you old enough to know what I'm talking about).

Or who remember the second half of "Who Shot Mister Burns"! :D
Woo! - Argent Girl

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
If they don't get the character data, that makes it easy. The new server is an alternate reality with the same buildings, but not the same people. No continuity with the originals at all. The originals are still out there, somewhere, going about their business as they always have.