Author Topic: If COX comes back, anyone have thoughts on Roleplay concequences of shut down?  (Read 18970 times)

impiousimp

• Lieutenant
For roleplay purposes.

Like, was the city destroyed, is this another dimension courtesy of Portal Corp?

Was it all really just a nemesis plot? 

Many people who migrated to CO either regard Paragon as a dead or another dimension, the latter is what I subscribe to given the drastically different tone differences between the two games.  That said it might be nice to have a player canon to rely on, if the people who run the show don't come up with something on their own.

The floor is open.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
I imagine a lot of this will be different between super group to super group, person to person.

I know my SG decided that Paragon wasn't blowing up when everyone else did. Some weird thing happened and people ended up in the COverse and decided to help out while figuring out what happened and deciding what to do next.

A LOT of people went with the doomsday notion.

This does concern me a bit, as I really don't enjoy the thought of the world having blown up, and anyone bringing that up to one of my characters will likely be met with confused looks and denials. The trick with RPing in CoH though was always to be very flexible with canon. To some, they'd just ran a TF and their characters wanted to brag about it, but very rarely was it being treated (in my circles anyway) like the official one time only run  of that TF. Just that Numina needed some help and things happened, or that the City Council needed saving AGAIN. So I'd just advise for flexibility while keeping with what makes you and others happy.
Woo! - Argent Girl

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
Im not roleplaying the shutdown..

impiousimp

• Lieutenant
Makes sense.  For people who did choose the doomsday scenario they could do a number of scenarios, like mass hypnosis, or time jumps into the future.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
None of my characters will suffer any kind of downtime. They went to sleep on November 30th, and they'll wake up on X date, and the days in between those two dates will never happen.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
My main's backstory was actually a perfect fit for this. Attracted by more affordable rent than Providence, Safehouse moved to Paragon City from NYC when he began studying at Brown University. Having been a small time hero in NYC, he was hoping to make more of a name for himself since he no longer was competing with the "big time names" like Spider-Man. It kind of worked - student by day, hero by night. He became a famed hero in Paragon over the years. When he graduated from Brown, he decided to stay, studying for his Master's at the college in Steel Canyon.

The way I see it, Safehouse began to disagree more and more with the FBSA, the way it did things, and how it ran its heroes (not intended as a statement on CoH itself, but just kind of how I see SH doing things). When a mission gone wrong resulted in the death of his best friend, Safehouse had had enough. In a terrible depression, with the darkness threatening to take him, he left Paragon City to be with his family in New York. Now, he is in retirement.

If the game were to come back, or if there were a CoH2, or if/when CoT takes off, they will have begged and pressed Safehouse to come out of retirement. He would have been convinced that the time was right for him to stop wallowing and begin fighting for righteousness again.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
From an RP perspective we can't really ignore 2+ years of shutdown.  Some people took their toons to CO or TSW and continued their stories there.  My stance is what happened to Primal Earth is a mystery, about which there will be many theories.  Perhaps Ouroboros time-skipped Primal Earth and Praetoria in order to avoid a cosmic event or superweapon or something along those lines.  I prefer to think it had something to do with the Battalion.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
My main will have something about jumping into the champions universe, and so forth. Some of other characters that I will be bringing back will have some kind f story about what they were doing between the end of the world and the resurrection :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Unless it's mentioned in the lore of the game, my characters will have spent the last two years doing the same heroic things they were doing before.

Remakes in  other games are alternate versions of my COX characters. :D

gypsyav

• Boss
For me it depends on whether we have our characters when the game begins. If we do I might just say they've just been going about their business of saving the world for the past 2 years. If we don't I'll be coming up with a way they all lost their powers and why they have to start over.

All of my toons were in a personal SG with a friend so I may just say there was an attack on our SG and all the heroes in it were thrown into another dimension. They finally found their way back but the strain of the trip drained their powers.
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
I did, in fact, role play the exit.  I played as the end of a treaty between mouse and man and the withdraw of mouse from Paragon City.  If it should be put back up, I will simply role play it as a new treaty was created and the mice have returned.
No Surrender!

Tacitala

• Boss
None of my characters will suffer any kind of downtime. They went to sleep on November 30th, and they'll wake up on X date, and the days in between those two dates will never happen.

This.  I refuse to allow NCSoft's bad decision interfere with my characters' stories.  If I must I will assume my character's just did their things while I was away.
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

Dinah Might

• Minion
Depends if they have a welcome back event

lintboy

• Underling
I have a character, named Vro'ngrak, whose bio sort of foreshadowed the shutdown/reset/missing time. I think, at least this one character, will accept full responsibility for "correcting" the time line and the fabric of existence.

This was his bio.

It is difficult to describe the Vro'ngrak in terms comprehensible by the human mind. If there were such a thing as a god of space and time and the laws of physics, the Vro'ngrak would be it. To be more accurate it is an aspect of the universal intelligence that maintains the structure of Universe itself. The Vro'ngrak is formless and eternal, and only appears in a human like form as it is the only way the mind of humans can comprehend it. The Vro'ngrak has appeared in this time-place to repair the damage being caused to the fabric of Universe by the dimension merging activities of the Rikti, Portal Corp, the Banished Pantheon, Praetoria, the Rularru, and the proliferation of beings with access to the Ouroboros. The activities of these entities are forming a tear that will ripple through Universe and destroy it over the next several billion years. The Vro'ngrak is here to repair this damage by interacting with the entities responsible to change the effects they are having on Universe.

So, if anyone asks... I did it.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
Anyone else remember the Top Cow comic? I personally explain the shutdown away as a "second Power outage" (Forgive the bad pun, but I don't know the actual name of that whole event canon-wise...) caused by some villain's meddling (Probably not Recluse again... Red-side players would be upset about that...).

Powers turned off "somehow", most supers1 went away because their powers were "gone".

New source of power found2, supers come back but have to start over and relearn their "new" powers3.

Kind of like someone pushed a "mass respec" button and respeced everyone all at the same time involuntarily, and now they have to learn a completely different build, which understandably takes some time to adjust to.

1Many Natural and Tech heroes would likely not be as effected by this since they don't have powers to begin with. See Manticore in the comic for this example.
2Maybe another myth similar to Prometheus' Flame could be used. Although, did they ever really establish when that whole storyline happened...? Alternately, all the heroes running amok through time via Ouroboros could have muddled the timeline and caused it to happen much later than it was suppose to, and hence why we never experienced it in-game, or for that matter caused a paradox that caused the whole of space-time to unravel and have to reset itself... Just a few theories...
3I'm not deluding myself into the idea that the game will relaunch with my characters intact. That would likely require more effort and transferring of customer information than NCSoft is willing to do. Regardless, releveling my characters will hardly be an issue for me.

erich

• Minion
    • Art of War Gaming
The first thing I will do if the game comes back is spam in open chat "TANK LFT!" :)
Art of War Gaming
A friendly community of gamers

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
The first thing I will do if the game comes back is spam in open chat "TANK LFT!" :)

We'll all be doing that, Erich, but the RP community will be doing a bit more besides.

Blackstar5

• Lieutenant
Personally I'm going with the "Dallas" Idea where the 2 years in between then and whenever were all a bad dream.(For those of you old enough to know what I'm talking about).

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
Personally I'm going with the "Dallas" Idea where the 2 years in between then and whenever were all a bad dream.(For those of you old enough to know what I'm talking about).

Or who remember the second half of "Who Shot Mister Burns"! :D
Woo! - Argent Girl

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
If they don't get the character data, that makes it easy. The new server is an alternate reality with the same buildings, but not the same people. No continuity with the originals at all. The originals are still out there, somewhere, going about their business as they always have.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
If they don't get the character data, that makes it easy. The new server is an alternate reality with the same buildings, but not the same people. No continuity with the originals at all. The originals are still out there, somewhere, going about their business as they always have.

While I'm going to be bringing out a new main toon come the relaunch, I know a loooot of people are really not going to want to abandon years of character development to start anew. But that idea does work out pretty well for some concepts :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
I won't be rebuilding any of my old characters, so there's no backstory to worry about. As far as anyone new is concerned, it'll be their world just like it's always been.

My old crew? They exist as fiction now rather than game characters. To them, the shut-down never happened.
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
While I'm going to be bringing out a new main toon come the relaunch, I know a loooot of people are really not going to want to abandon years of character development to start anew. But that idea does work out pretty well for some concepts :)

Something happened to toss them into the new universe, and they can't get back! Wouldn't be a first time. CoH's Multi-verse is infinite lol.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

rojahdom

• Underling
The Villain is a part-timer. The once powerful God of Crime sees a flash of light, and is instantly put on a world that has been reset. He has been stripped of his powers and no one remembers who he is .Vowing to regain his power , he works at the Donuts shop in Fault line, plotting  world domination on a minimum wage salary.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
Well, I'm putting out there that I would like to do some RP. I'll do a new character so If Virtue is still the RP server I'll play there. I heard that Union has open RP so it may be more laid back. So I guess whatever the group I RP with decides to do. If they acknowledge it fine or if we just start from scratch, also fine.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Well, just before shutdown I wrote an entire story outline dealing with my version of what happens to Primal Earth.  Given the scope of that story, whether we get the data back or not, I think I'm covered either way.

Davy

• Underling
  • Hey everybody it's me~
Assuming Union isn't a casualty of some attempt to thin out the server list... I'll go with whatever the general consensus is. Some people (At least those that migrated to the IRC) have shown interest in starting fresh.

Even with Union's Continuity I imagine someone just has to declare their character is a fresh start and their will be no further problems. Such is the benefit of a smaller tighter nit community I guess.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
Well, I'm putting out there that I would like to do some RP. I'll do a new character so If Virtue is still the RP server I'll play there. I heard that Union has open RP so it may be more laid back. So I guess whatever the group I RP with decides to do. If they acknowledge it fine or if we just start from scratch, also fine.

Virtue had lots of Open RP. The general rule was that if you acted mature, and if you butted in you did so politely and accepted if someone was busy/not in the mood, you were cool. This was never written, but I had plenty of neat open rp experiences, one which lead to a player making an alt to roll in our SG :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
It's amazing to me how disconnected I was from the community when I played. I had no idea that Virtue was the RP server. I didn't even know that there were folks who enjoyed RP. Most of my characters were kind of RP characters; characters with rich, in depth backstories that were brought to Paragon for various reasons. I often recreated characters from my stories and novels in CoX. And yet, I never bothered to engage.

Definitely, if this game comes back, I need to rectify my shyness/disconnectedness.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
Im not roleplaying the shutdown..

Me, either.
Yes, it made no sense......NCsoft had some ulterior motive for discarding CoH, but I don't know what it was.

I just regard the shut down like a cease printing of a comic book series.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
This.  I refuse to allow NCSoft's bad decision interfere with my characters' stories.  If I must I will assume my character's just did their things while I was away.
I was playing Pakfront, the AR/EM Blaster that was the first character I created back on May 8, 2004 when the shutdown occurred, down in the bowl with her teammates in the middle of a Rikti mothership raid, just as if the shutdown wasn't going to occur, so there was no reason not to carry on with her normal heroic activities. If we can get our characters back, I intend to have them resume their activities as if events had simply progressed.

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
My main will have something about jumping into the champions universe, and so forth. Some of other characters that I will be bringing back will have some kind f story about what they were doing between the end of the world and the resurrection :)

I'm taking this route. RP-wise, Little David (my signature hero) was involved in Tower of Animus, a roleplaying game based initially on LiveJournal and then moved to Dreamwidth.

The premise of that game was that something was killing entire universes, snuffing out all their stars, killing all life on their planets, and leaving nothing but cold dark worlds in its path. Every character in the game came from a universe killed off this way, so I used NCSoft's shutdown of City of Heroes as the impetus for Little David's appearance in the Tower.

That game recently ended, with the cause of the universe-killing phenomenon discovered, dealt with, and (most importantly) all of those dead universes restored.

With City of Heroes coming back, I might just play off the two year absence as a variant on the backstory for his apping into the Tower; that he was on a mission for PortalCorp and something happened, leaving PortalCorp unable to recall him back to Primal Earth--until he found his own way back, a year or two later.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
Depends on if they're able to recover the character data. For me, the worlds of CoH, CO, and DCUO were different parts of the same world. Part of my main's backstory involves his travels back and forth from Paragon to Millennium to Gotham/Metropolis. In his CO backstory, I only mention that some cataclysmic event (mass viral breakout, or some Portal experiment gone wrong, I don't know. I'll figure that out later) forced an evacuation of Paragon City and Rouge Isles, but never stated that it had been destroyed or anything of that nature. So that kind of does leave it open for a return as if nothing changed.

Should they not be able to recover character data, then I could go one of two ways. The first is that when I first brought him into the CO and DCUO games, I passed off his lack of abilities and starting off at Level 1 as him learning new fighting techniques. So when we get CoH back, it will be sort of the same. I'd just roll him as a StJ/WP Scrapper (which is more accurate to his backstory anyway, but we didn't have those power sets when I first started playing), then he actually would be learning new fighting techniques. The other idea, was that originally in his backstory I planned to make DCUO the "end of the line"; the point at which he would decide to hang up his cape (primarily after "meeting someone" on the job), and I would literally retire the character at that point. In this case, he would basically come out of his early retirement, but have to re-train himself all over again.

Now what to do for if/when CoH2 comes around...

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
I'm roleplaying my characters as seeing that the dimension was in a time stop.  Currently they are noticing that said time stop is coming to an end.  Potentially.  But I'm also roleplaying them as moving on from the champions universe, and also they see the champions universe as dying in a more permanent manner.  It's kind of a bleed of my suspicions that champions will be shutting down soon since they already did badly on some things, and even more they just blundered recently.(and a very laughable one to, but it's an unfortunate problem CO will have if it shuts down, there won't be bringing it back with the shoddy performance it had and underhanded strategies it's been relying on for years.)

So If I do roleplay at all in CO i'll just roleplay my characters as having spotted the android giving away the vehicles as being a faker who went nuts, stripped naked, and ran into downtown naked while rambling like an idiot.

Overall, i'll be roleplaying more the short term problems of alot of heroes missing temporarly when the time stop ends for them.

It does depend alot though, on things to.  The only consistency; my characters hated the CO dimension overall, and didn't enjoy the strange behavior of people worshipping them, sapphire singing the same song every hour for 2 weeks streight without sleep, and the general zombie-like nature of the game world.

Edit: The things they see in CO's dimension, is a very static world in that, events truely are not moving forward for everything there.  When it does, very strange, physics defying things happen that also ignore all sense of intelligent behavior of individuals to, including worshiping anyone in tights as a hero even if they never did anything or generally going far out of their way even when said caped person is in disguise.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:48:15 PM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

gypsyav

• Boss

I like this idea, I think I might steal it. I've been working on how to explain my characters losing their powers but not having any luck.
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

pmoyer

• Minion
  • Please leave a message at the sound of the tone...
    • Magnetic Terrapin Studios
My main was a dimensional visitor to Paragon City, so the shutdown to her was less distressing than it would have been for a native.  She evacuated back to her home dimension (rescuing anybody she could, since that's the sort of person she is), and the trans-dimensional peacekeeping force she's a member of would have been observing the situation in Paragon City's dimension all this time.  So, if it were to come back, it could be played as "we found an alternate Paragon City where the collapse never happened" or "this dimension -appeared- to experience a collapse but actually didn't collapse/came back/was hidden" and leave all the science types massively confused since that sort of thing doesn't happen for large realities.  Either way, she'd be back to scout out the landscape once again, to see if any changes had occurred. :)

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
Personally, I'm going to go with "The Doctor's TARDIS exploded and destroyed the Universe. But then, the Doctor rebooted the Universe, and now we all live in the Universe 2.0" sort of explanation for what happened.

Agent Standin experienced the winking out of the universe. But, then he's back like almost nothing happened.

Or, maybe, the Universe just blinked. You know how dry your eyes would get if you didn't blink for 13 billion years? :o
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Nadia Luma

• Minion
I've decided to retire my former toons. When I say retire I mean that I will no longer play as them any longer not that they don't exist. My new character may share lineage or some small connection to my former characters. The time gap(NC soft shutdown) won't really affect my new characters as they most likely won't have any knowledge of the event. If the subject is ever brought up my new character would simply ask "What really happen?" I'll allow the community RP to fill in the blanks.

I suppose it doesn't really matter what you think happen. It's all about the RP so keeping it simple and flexable works best. That's how I RP...small backstory no major details connected to in game events or characters. My characters are connected to RP. The shutdown could be one of those things that no talks about so when it's brought up everyone can just say "I don't want to talk about it."

Jachim

• Underling
This is an interesting topic!

Our roleplay group of about 6-7 people had played CoH for going on 6(7 maybe?) years! We had a huge continuity internally that we kinda made up and superceeded CoH's continuity a lot of the time. For example, in character many of our long-time characters were prolly 'more famous' than the Phalanx and other such self-centered nonsense. We never recruited and kept to ourselves, and in fact weren't even on the 'RP' server, we were on Victory ^^

When the game was shutting down, it was during an internal story-arc that involved an evil villain who was about to erase the timeline.

They won, apparently.  :( But! We're still doing an in-universe D20 campaign now, so it lives on until City of Titans and/or CoH returns!

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
That makes it fairly easy for you, Jachim, but still tough for, say, the Virtue community.  Unless the new devs come up with an official lore reason for the shutdown, there are going to be hundreds of different explanations.  My vote is still "Ouroboros time-skipped the world (and Praetoria) to avoid some monstrous doom."

As for everyone starting at level 1, perhaps some weird permutation of Carbon Law / Temporal Scaling?  Let's be frank, Carbon Law was basically just phlebotinum, so they can pretty much interpret it how they want.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:51:21 PM by Mike D »

wei yau

• Boss
My main characters were all on Virtue and they were the only ones I truly RP'd.  For the Zodiac Guardsmen, they left Paragon City to travel the world and the multiverse seeking other guardsmen who were cast from the Temple of Heaven.  Pursuing them was The Celestial Dragon and her Fallen Guardsmen, with the same goal of recruiting or killing any lost guardsmen.

Only one character of mine is actually traveling dimensions, The Knave of Trumps.  Her ability to navigate the White Rabbit Holes of Wonderland allow her to explore other dimensions.

As for all the other characters I had on every server, well, for them life continued as it ever did in Paragon City.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
If the game picks up right where it left off, I don't see much reason to even have an in-game explanation. A successor like CoH2, that might take place in a slightly future Paragon with different signature heroes would certainly need something, but since Legacy CoH is likely to just be I23 forever, and CoH 1.5 apparently is trying to have the game start at I23 / I24, and build from there, there's no storyline gap (in-game, anyways).

As for people starting at Level 1 again, that's a slightly larger issue, but there's no reason not to RP a character as if he/she/huge is still 50, even if you need to go through the mechanics of leveling up. Besides, plenty of people would re-roll characters with different power sets - same character, suddenly Level 1. No issues there - either it's a change in powers, or the character is being RP'ed at high levels, just with a more accurate power set that wasn't released when it was created.

Also, just for reference:

Quote from: Mender Lazarus
Since this is your first exposure to time travel, I need to tell you about the Carbon Law. Carbon Law is the law of Time Travel that restricts how far forward or backward you can actually travel. In Earth years, this comes out to around 5,730 years, give or take 40 or so. Everyone is different. I'm from the 78th Century so I am at the limit of my 'tether'. I can travel back in time a little bit more, maybe 3 or 4 years, but I dare not try anything further. When someone travels beyond their tether, he finds himself assimilated by the time stream, never to be heard from again.

Quote from: Mender Tesseract
As you could see from that little exercise you lost access to a whole slew of your abilities. It was basically your body adjusting to a different time stream. We call this Temporal Scaling. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it can come as a shock. It adjusts what you call 'Combat Level' in this time period to fit that of the time stream you are now in. Different streams have different scaling. I chose that mission for you because it is the harshest form of scaling out there, and what better way to drive the point home?

Via: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/The_Pilgrim#The_Ouroboros_Initiation_.2825-50.29_HEROES

It's interesting that the Carbon Law was circumvented by Nemesis because he no longer resides in his original body - which is made out of carbon. So I wonder if the Carbon Law only applies to carbon-based lifeforms... Twilight's Son, after all, is energy-based... but we don't know how far from his tether he is.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
That's my thought as well...the new team comes up with an official story involving Ouroboros, some kind of time freeze or time skip, and the Carbon Law / Temporal Scaling reduces us all to level 1 for some reason.

If Nate Downes is successful he'll set up a team to revive the game, and once that is going on we can present our story ideas to them.  They probably can't add any story stuff like this to the game itself, but it can be on their website.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
Since I'm planning to remake some of my 50's with new powersets or origins, and my wife likely will not be teaming with me like last time, I'm just going to tell myself it's a parallel universe.
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
Since I'm planning to remake some of my 50's with new powersets or origins, and my wife likely will not be teaming with me like last time, I'm just going to tell myself it's a parallel universe.

That's fine for you, but I'm foreseeing the first night back in Pocket D for the old Virtue crowd.  There will be a hundred different RPers with a hundred different explanations for why we're all lowbies unless our new overlords hit us up with some lore.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
That's fine for you, but I'm foreseeing the first night back in Pocket D for the old Virtue crowd.  There will be a hundred different RPers with a hundred different explanations for why we're all lowbies unless our new overlords hit us up with some lore.

Oh no doubt.  It may drive off the ERP's for a while.  The D may actually become a place to hunt down old friends.
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

JennSpace

• Lieutenant
Jenn Space is in the limbo just like Peter Parker at the end of the Spiderman Animated Serie and will return to Paragon City once we get our game back!  ;D I'm working on a huge story, time will have continued to flow just like irl and it will be epic!!
Missed in action in the Rikti War Zone, almost 2 years ago.

Gorgor

• Underling
"Who took all my money?  Why am I so weak?  Who destroyed everything in my superbase?  I'll bet it was those damned gnomes in Guild Wars!". >:-(

JennSpace

• Lieutenant
"Who took all my money?  Why am I so weak?  Who destroyed everything in my superbase?  I'll bet it was those damned gnomes in Guild Wars!". >:-(

It was the hellions!! :P Back when I was playing City of Heroes, I'd always blame everything on the hellions because they're completly clueless about everything! XDDD They were so proud of their girlfriends ...girlfriends from Hell manipulating them! :D
Missed in action in the Rikti War Zone, almost 2 years ago.

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
I am going to quote another or My kind for my reaction to the near destruction of Paragon city

"I have survived more apocalypses than you have had chest colds"

though really, the best thing to do would be act as if nothing happened >.> we are picking the game up right from where we left off.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
A wizard did it.

PsychicKitty

• Underling
For RolePlaying purposes....perhaps you should take a bit from the DC comics universe before the new 52. 

Krono had literally gone around destroying universes to figure out how they worked and such....and the Justice League had to put them back together.

So maybe the shutdown was something similar....a schism....and the universe ended...but was then put back together by some unknown force....except this time....a mirrored bunch of realities(ie the other games based on city of heroes coming out) where formed as well.

Perhaps some heroes in another universe like the justice league in DC comics reformed those universes.....maybe it was a group from the champions game....>_>(hmmm...maybe cryptic has more powers then we thought)

seriously...coming up with story lines and ideas is simple.....shouldn't take more then a minute to figure something out.

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
A simple walk into Mordor descends into vacation hell when the unruly natives begin throwing sticks and stones. No one who participates is unscathed, with many missing or dead and the survivors diminished in power. The trainers are fine, for the usual reason.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
We have all been map served, yup, for over 2 freaking years.  Bit don't reboot just give the connection time.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
As I understand it today, I would consider it a complete reboot, since the characters/supergoups  and other user data wouldn't be returning. I might make variations of my old characters, but they'd be entirely new characterizations with new histories and and the chance to fix a few things about them I didn't like. :)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
It's interesting that the Carbon Law was circumvented by Nemesis because he no longer resides in his original body - which is made out of carbon. So I wonder if the Carbon Law only applies to carbon-based lifeforms... Twilight's Son, after all, is energy-based... but we don't know how far from his tether he is.

Its possible the carbon law doesn't specifically refer to being in a carbon-based body, but to something else.  The loophole I always assumed Nemesis used was not to transfer to a mechanical body, but to specifically transfer to a *temporally local* body.  What Silos could do that the other Menders couldn't was to jump 5000 years into the (his) past, make a robot body with contemporary materials, transfer into that, then jump back another 5000 years, rinse, repeat.

I think in one of the Loregasms it was noted by a dev that canonically it was body-switching that was the key to Nemesis beating the Carbon Law of time travel, which implies simply being in (or being able to live in) a robot body was not enough to simply jump a million years without running afoul of it.

Why call it the carbon law may be for similar reasons we still talk about airplanes breaking the sound barrier, even though there is no such barrier of sound.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Everfreefire

• Boss
The only real plan I had for this was rolling a new Necro/ MM. It would have been an aftereffect of the shutdown and relaunched, created from the shutdown as a means to try and take the game down again by any means necessary. The various Zombies would be 'deleted' characters from before the shutdown resurrected for it's purposes.
/em raises a glass. "Next year in the Ski Chalet!"
"Scrappers might not exist any more, but scrapperlock is forever."   -Kaiser Tarantula

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Also, the text from the mission where the Carbon Law is introduced (http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/The_Pilgrim the Mender Lazarus bits) notes that a person can only travel back / forward in time a certain amount: specifically, "around 5,730 years, give or take 40 or so." This is the half life of Carbon 14.

Which suggests another method of time travel that can beat the carbon tether: teleport to a different universe in which gluon binding energy is higher and Carbon-14's half-life is a billion years, then travel back as far as you like.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
The only real plan I had for this was rolling a new Necro/ MM. It would have been an aftereffect of the shutdown and relaunched, created from the shutdown as a means to try and take the game down again by any means necessary. The various Zombies would be 'deleted' characters from before the shutdown resurrected for it's purposes.

That's interesting. I kind of like that concept.

I did make a team of characters that worked for Portal Corp., and I'm still debating what their story should be. I don't think that for most people, there should be any RP consequences, since a revived game would have no acknowledgement in its storyline, and would pick up right where the game left off. But a group that was in another dimension at the time.... might be aware? Interesting implications.

Which suggests another method of time travel that can beat the carbon tether: teleport to a different universe in which gluon binding energy is higher and Carbon-14's half-life is a billion years, then travel back as far as you like.

Well that is brilliant. But it assumes that the Carbon Law is somehow tied in to the half life of carbon, rather than just a coincidence.

Also, it runs into the problem that any universe like that is likely to be very hard to get to, since it would likely be so different from Primal Earth that the energy required to get there would be enormous.

I do have to wonder if the devs meant the tether to be tied in with carbon's half life as part of some sort of metaphysical rule, or if it was just a convenient number that allowed them use definite, but very distant, dates.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
I think actually this is a fairly easy one once I sat down and thought about it.

We have just allowed a God - Mu to become incarnate on our plane. The other gods in an agreement on the possible consequences of more of them walking among us and the possible destruction of the Multiverse - placed Earth in Stasis - basically they wormholed it outside of the timestream to a future date where things are more stable.

You could even have it that a bunch of time controllers and gravity controllers worked together to do it. A nice video could be made to explain it :)

Everfreefire

• Boss
That's interesting. I kind of like that concept.

Mostly it came from me wanting/needing a new Necro MM, since I planned on rerolling all my old ones but needed a new one since my old Necro MM (who was matched against my Thugs MM RP-wise) is kinda dead.

Granted, my issue is I'm not sure if it should be Necro, via the dead heroes, or Bots, via actual bugs in the system designed to pull it down.

Also, I hope no one gets mad at me for actually making it.  :P
"Scrappers might not exist any more, but scrapperlock is forever."   -Kaiser Tarantula

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
...my old Necro MM is kinda dead.

Couldn't cast a final necro spell on him/herself, eh? :p

I think actually this is a fairly easy one once I sat down and thought about it.

We have just allowed a God - Mu to become incarnate on our plane. The other gods in an agreement on the possible consequences of more of them walking among us and the possible destruction of the Multiverse - placed Earth in Stasis - basically they wormholed it outside of the timestream to a future date where things are more stable.

You could even have it that a bunch of time controllers and gravity controllers worked together to do it. A nice video could be made to explain it :)

But if the game lives on as a static disk image version of I23 or 24, none of the in game lore will address anything like this. Which is why I maintain that there are no RP consequences. It may be interesting to have a few player characters aware of something happening, and trying to convince everyone else, but there are problems with that too:

1. None of the NPCs will ever acknowledge anything. The game and their lives will be "business as usual" as far as they're concerned. So if the player characters are aware of something, you have an even worse situation than the normal player meta-knowledge of a game leaking in to player characters - at least with standard meta leak, some NPCs have knowledge of events that occurred elsewhere in the game. In this case, that is impossible.

2. Without the people in charge of running the new CoH actually saying "this is what happened" and defining, officially, what the in-game explanation for the interruption is, this thread is clear evidence that trying to incorporate multiple player versions will result in RP chaos. Yes, a group of RPers can choose to define "time stasis" as their big event - but what happens when they meet someone whose character is built upon a different explanation, like it being a parallel dimension, or Portal Corp. shifting the world, or something?

3. Even if the devs declare 1 single official explanation, with a static disc image, they can't add it to the game, which goes back to problem 1. Sure, it makes unified RP easier, but significantly messes with NPC interactions.

Everfreefire

• Boss
Couldn't cast a final necro spell on him/herself, eh? :p

To be fair, his backstory was less necromancy and more controlling the spirits of people he had hunted down (Bounty Hunter in a Magic-heavy alternate dimension) as a means to have *some* sort of power when he reached Primal Earth, since the shift to this dimension (The first one to escape him, the second to track her down, because he wasn't giving up) actively stripped them of their powers. He was just a bit more prepared for the loss, while she had to scrounge up a gang of thugs to help her get any semblance of power back.

Was a fun little mental story going on in the world for me.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
I'd keep it simple. Positron should be permanently holding a torch. NPC's could comment "Have you seen Positron Lately? What IS he doing?".
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
I'd keep it simple. Positron should be permanently holding a torch. NPC's could comment "Have you seen Positron Lately? What IS he doing?".

This is a good idea... although I think that if the revived game is able to be modified, a memorial to Statesman would be a grand thing that would have both in-game and player-known significance.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
There's the Pam Ewing, it was all a dream.
Or it was just a commercial break.

Waffles

• Elite Boss
Times like this that i'm glad my Warshade was ICly an inter-dimensional, reality-warping being.

Can jump in without worrying about that ^_^