Author Topic: If COX comes back, anyone have thoughts on Roleplay concequences of shut down?  (Read 19039 times)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
I think actually this is a fairly easy one once I sat down and thought about it.

We have just allowed a God - Mu to become incarnate on our plane. The other gods in an agreement on the possible consequences of more of them walking among us and the possible destruction of the Multiverse - placed Earth in Stasis - basically they wormholed it outside of the timestream to a future date where things are more stable.

You could even have it that a bunch of time controllers and gravity controllers worked together to do it. A nice video could be made to explain it :)

Everfreefire

• Boss
That's interesting. I kind of like that concept.

Mostly it came from me wanting/needing a new Necro MM, since I planned on rerolling all my old ones but needed a new one since my old Necro MM (who was matched against my Thugs MM RP-wise) is kinda dead.

Granted, my issue is I'm not sure if it should be Necro, via the dead heroes, or Bots, via actual bugs in the system designed to pull it down.

Also, I hope no one gets mad at me for actually making it.  :P
/em raises a glass. "Next year in the Ski Chalet!"
"Scrappers might not exist any more, but scrapperlock is forever."   -Kaiser Tarantula

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
...my old Necro MM is kinda dead.

Couldn't cast a final necro spell on him/herself, eh? :p

I think actually this is a fairly easy one once I sat down and thought about it.

We have just allowed a God - Mu to become incarnate on our plane. The other gods in an agreement on the possible consequences of more of them walking among us and the possible destruction of the Multiverse - placed Earth in Stasis - basically they wormholed it outside of the timestream to a future date where things are more stable.

You could even have it that a bunch of time controllers and gravity controllers worked together to do it. A nice video could be made to explain it :)

But if the game lives on as a static disk image version of I23 or 24, none of the in game lore will address anything like this. Which is why I maintain that there are no RP consequences. It may be interesting to have a few player characters aware of something happening, and trying to convince everyone else, but there are problems with that too:

1. None of the NPCs will ever acknowledge anything. The game and their lives will be "business as usual" as far as they're concerned. So if the player characters are aware of something, you have an even worse situation than the normal player meta-knowledge of a game leaking in to player characters - at least with standard meta leak, some NPCs have knowledge of events that occurred elsewhere in the game. In this case, that is impossible.

2. Without the people in charge of running the new CoH actually saying "this is what happened" and defining, officially, what the in-game explanation for the interruption is, this thread is clear evidence that trying to incorporate multiple player versions will result in RP chaos. Yes, a group of RPers can choose to define "time stasis" as their big event - but what happens when they meet someone whose character is built upon a different explanation, like it being a parallel dimension, or Portal Corp. shifting the world, or something?

3. Even if the devs declare 1 single official explanation, with a static disc image, they can't add it to the game, which goes back to problem 1. Sure, it makes unified RP easier, but significantly messes with NPC interactions.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Everfreefire

• Boss
Couldn't cast a final necro spell on him/herself, eh? :p

To be fair, his backstory was less necromancy and more controlling the spirits of people he had hunted down (Bounty Hunter in a Magic-heavy alternate dimension) as a means to have *some* sort of power when he reached Primal Earth, since the shift to this dimension (The first one to escape him, the second to track her down, because he wasn't giving up) actively stripped them of their powers. He was just a bit more prepared for the loss, while she had to scrounge up a gang of thugs to help her get any semblance of power back.

Was a fun little mental story going on in the world for me.
/em raises a glass. "Next year in the Ski Chalet!"
"Scrappers might not exist any more, but scrapperlock is forever."   -Kaiser Tarantula

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
I'd keep it simple. Positron should be permanently holding a torch. NPC's could comment "Have you seen Positron Lately? What IS he doing?".
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
I'd keep it simple. Positron should be permanently holding a torch. NPC's could comment "Have you seen Positron Lately? What IS he doing?".

This is a good idea... although I think that if the revived game is able to be modified, a memorial to Statesman would be a grand thing that would have both in-game and player-known significance.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
There's the Pam Ewing, it was all a dream.
Or it was just a commercial break.

Waffles

• Elite Boss
Times like this that i'm glad my Warshade was ICly an inter-dimensional, reality-warping being.

Can jump in without worrying about that ^_^