Author Topic: What's did you like and not like about CoH?  (Read 9982 times)

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
What's did you like and not like about CoH?
« on: July 20, 2014, 11:35:53 PM »
Just wanted to see everyone's opinions.

What I LOVED was diversity in roles. For example, Blasters could be either Support DPS (with powers like Sonic Blast, Ice Blast, the powers that very much lowered their defenses or attack), Pure DPS (a power like Fire Blast, or Energy Blast, where their powers usually pack a lot of punch). And Defenders or Controllers weren't just healers. They could either be Buff, Debuff, or Heals but they couldn't really be all three (at most two by my count) effectively.

Obviously another thing I loved was character creator. Don't really have to go further into detail about that.

Last thing I should really mention is the community. Rarely did I ever see anybody that was constantly bashing players that didn't know what they were doing or players that were harassing just to harass, and even if I did see them it was minor and was usually frustration from not being able to complete something.

Personally, I didn't like how some of the powers made you steer away from it. Like with Sonic Blast. The benefits of that power (to me) were really good, however the sounds and animations were vague and annoying to me.

Second, and this isn't something I didn't really like about the game, it was the relatively new players that assumed Defenders were healers even if they had say Cold Domination or Force Fields as their primary and they were the ones that lead the group.

What did you like (or not like) about City of Heroes? Post them down below

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
Re: What's did you like and not like about CoH?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 01:07:49 AM »
Liked  versatility of the toons the most.  A creative player could use their powers in unexpected ways like a storm/bubble def/troller could technically tank if needed or could use the hurricane/bubbles to force a mob into a corner.  Did that many times.

What I hated most was lack of enjoyment of the pve content of the pvp zones.  I suck at pvp and so could never truly enjoy the pvp zone's non-pvp content.  was too busy running from crazed pvp'rs with terribly bad attitudes.
No Surrender!

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 04:22:27 AM »
Liked:  diversity in play options from AT, to powersets to costumes.  Made it so the game was fresh with every new character.

Disliked:  division of playerbase into 3 worlds, 16 servers and 4 alignments.  Made it so that you couldn't team when/where you wanted at times.

Young Tutor

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 11:40:04 AM »
I'll second what other people said. I *loved* the diversity. Defenders were awesome. I liked the powerful crowd control options. The community was amazing.

I liked how (for the most part) you could get any enhancement you wanted if you were willing to work for it. I liked exemplaring and sidekicking. I liked multiple builds. I liked the way the developers kept the game fresh, revisiting older zones to make them more playable.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 12:55:18 PM »
What I hated was not usually considered by players.

I've been, and I'm still, a developer for a player-based UO shard. So how the game engine runs for any game is pretty important to me... and I found that the CoH "success engine" was horrendous. The problem was that it deals with modifiers linearly (+5 Defense means literally a +5% to your Defense in a linear percentage-based formula), which makes adding more and more Defense (or Resist) more effective than the previous point of Defense or Resist. Until you reach the cap, and then the newly added point becomes completely useless (except for protecting against debuffing).

It really should have been coded with a curved function, that asymptotically curves towards the cap (95% maximum chance to hit, for example). That would allow for several benefits:
1) Adding more and more buffs to a stat becomes less and less effective because the slope of the curve changes so you're getting less benefit. This instantly and automatically replaces ED, and we would never have needed the ED nerf.
2) You can never cap out. I never liked the concept of being capped. However, that allows you to get benefit from multiple sources of buffs without having the additional source "wasted". As we all know, you can't add a 2nd Kinetic in a large high level team and get much use from them, since it only takes one Fulcrum Shift to cap the entire team's +Damage (except maybe with Brutes). Similarly, a 2nd FF Defender in a team is nearly useless unless the opponents debuff Defense. But if you can't cap out, then the 2nd Kinetic and the 2nd FF always adds more to the relevant stats, even if it's not nearly as much as the first.
3) Because of the diminishing effect of stacking buffs and enhancements, we don't need any actual caps. The asymptote of the function's curve acts as an actual cap, so we don't need to artificially prevent players from adding more enhancements or buffs to any ability.

If they did that from the beginning of CoH's design, it would have prevented a LOT of issues from happening. I really hope that they go in this direction with CoH 2.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 04:48:49 PM »
I liked it being open, and disliked it being closed.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 05:02:06 PM »

I approve of your answer

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 01:47:49 AM »
I didn't like 'free to play', I think that did nothing for the game. It seemed to cheapen the game.
I would have just given free trial via some time period....

other than that, I enjoyed every minute I was playing CoH.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 03:03:40 AM »
I didn't like 'free to play', I think that did nothing for the game. It seemed to cheapen the game.

what I liked about city of heroes, was I made some good friends, and I was able to make characters close to how I wanted them to be :).
what I did not like was putting 3+ years in my case around 6 year vet with the new players and me losing all but 3 character slots. I did not like the nickel and diming the free to plays and preferred customers. I did not like that I had to pay for actual content missions, and in i24 more content that I would have been locked out of. Such as those found in Brickstown.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 05:51:22 AM »
Liked: The community
Didn't Like: Game being shut down

katycat737

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 06:07:18 AM »
Liked: Mind Control (especially the sounds of the skills)

Didn't like: I had a bad computer for 3/4's of the time I played CoX so I lagged a lot and loaded really slow. (I'm talking 1minute loading time). Played when CoV released and took a lot of extended breaks in between where I was bored or couldn't bother paying the sub, but managed to join in on the last year of CoX. So yeah that was a long time to upgrade my computer.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 08:39:45 AM »

Me too, I felt they were chasing folks who weren't going to pay anything anyways. I would have liked the devs to have been a little more open to balancing things early on and not wait several years before getting around to fixing things when it was clear there were issues. Forcing out damaged goods rather than listening to folks beta testing saying its not ready. Arenas, Hollows, AE just to name a few. Focusing on new player experience (Going Rogue/Galaxy City) rather than keeping current customers happy. I wasn't a big fan of the two seasonal events, Summer Blockbuster and Dr Kane, while the events are decently fun, you sometimes get lamers who zone in and just sit there.

OTOH, there was so much to like about CoH. The most important thing was freedom of choice. I can solo or team, most of the game content is soloable but there are plenty of things that are fun too in a team. You are not required to have anything in your team. Just grab 7 warm bodies and start that TF.  :)

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 05:56:28 PM »

As always, epic!
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 08:59:36 PM »
In my opinion I didn't like the new costume creator. I liked the old version better.

artbunker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 11:19:28 PM »
Liked.. Incarnate stuff. I loved the fact that I could go beyond 50 powerwise and team up with other 50's on a huge scale. Speaking of large scales. "League mode " made the game far more fun teaming up with other teams to accomplish a trial or goal.

Going Rouge Concept. I loved being able to take my hero to villiana and vice versa. It is worth the effort, and to be able to help friends out on either side was a blast.

Disliked high aution house prices. Snakes, VAZ, and them damn one eye monsters whos name begins with a R

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 12:07:16 AM »
As always, epic!

Can I take your quote at the bottom?

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 04:12:59 AM »
Charged,
Do you mean the one about a villain or the Rikti Monkey one?
Or do I not understand what you are asking?  :)

The Rikti Monkey quote is an actual interchange between me and another CoHer.
The villain and lunch money quote is just my observation.

Either way, I put it out on the internet so it's pretty much for grabs.   :D

Or if you mean "As always, epic!" it is not mine, I don't own the rights.  ;D
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 01:58:40 PM »
I can honestly say the PVP in the game was terrible and no I am not anti PVP

I was avid DAOC player back in the day and did lots of realm raids, I played Rift and PVP in other games it was just so what ever in COH. I tried it out just was not worth doing for a side distraction when you wanted a change of pace.

Loved the leveling and game play first game where I had a lot of alts and I never mined and the flexibility of being able to play solo or group depending on my schedule. I could still get top gear without having to raid that is what killed Rift for me I could not raid anymore due to my schedule I could not progress past a certain point on gear so why continue trying to grind. COH was so much more flexible and was great for my schedule which changes weekly to daily

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 03:47:34 PM »
LIKED:
Power Customization
AE
Incarnate content
IOs/WentWorths
Base Designing
Costume Creator
TFs
Pocket D (I disliked it on other servers...on Freedom it was the social/incarnate zone) - I'm not into RP so yeah...
Paragon Market

DISLIKED:
**Forums - Everything got blown out of proportion there..people trying to dictate how they think others should play...and the general overall immaturity of the players. I knew a lot of people who refused to even go there so I wound up being the one who would relay anything important from the forums.
**IOs... Lemme explain. I always thought it was crazy how you would have 15 single target sets of IOs and 5 targeted AoE or Heal recipe sets. I thought there needed to be way more choices in the sets...especially in the 30-50 range. I was happy they were getting rid of a lot of the useless bonuses in i24 and adding more sets.
**The number of zones - I always wanted less zones. If it were my game to make.. I would have gotten rid of Boomtown, Crey's Folly, Terra Volta (move the respec trial), Kings Row, Eden, and combined the FBZ zones into one. I liked villain side zones better because there weren't a bazillion LOL.
**The fact that bases were ignored so much by development.
**AE - lemme splain Lucy. I thought AE should be it's own co-op zone that you entered through Pocket D. This has nothing to do with AE babies (which were grossly exaggerated on the forums then and now) but rather a conceptual reason that I personally believed it should be in Pocket D...which was a social/entertainment hub.
**PvP Zones - Again wait... I had no issues with pvp... I maintained a 400 rep for a very long time on my main pvp toon. I always hated that there were badges and events/tasks in pvp zones that were only available there. I thought there should have been some type of system to flag a player as not available/touchable if they were there to ONLY do tasks and badges. It should have been a choice when you first entered the zone (So as it could not be griefed/abused). My main badger had a hell of a time getting the exploration badges in RV. I finally had to dual box with that toon following my stalker... when people would mess with that toon.. I would kill them with my stalker :) (I killed 5 or 6 people that way and got a Glad Proc from one of the kills so I felt vindicated LOL)

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 07:47:26 PM »
Sirens Call was an awesome zone. I remember before I13, I wasn't interested in PVP, but loved to sort of drag the groups into eachother and watch the chaos on my stalker, just for fun!

The PVP mechanics, Not so much.