Author Topic: What's did you like and not like about CoH?  (Read 9981 times)

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
What's did you like and not like about CoH?
« on: July 20, 2014, 11:35:53 PM »
Just wanted to see everyone's opinions.

What I LOVED was diversity in roles. For example, Blasters could be either Support DPS (with powers like Sonic Blast, Ice Blast, the powers that very much lowered their defenses or attack), Pure DPS (a power like Fire Blast, or Energy Blast, where their powers usually pack a lot of punch). And Defenders or Controllers weren't just healers. They could either be Buff, Debuff, or Heals but they couldn't really be all three (at most two by my count) effectively.

Obviously another thing I loved was character creator. Don't really have to go further into detail about that.

Last thing I should really mention is the community. Rarely did I ever see anybody that was constantly bashing players that didn't know what they were doing or players that were harassing just to harass, and even if I did see them it was minor and was usually frustration from not being able to complete something.

Personally, I didn't like how some of the powers made you steer away from it. Like with Sonic Blast. The benefits of that power (to me) were really good, however the sounds and animations were vague and annoying to me.

Second, and this isn't something I didn't really like about the game, it was the relatively new players that assumed Defenders were healers even if they had say Cold Domination or Force Fields as their primary and they were the ones that lead the group.

What did you like (or not like) about City of Heroes? Post them down below

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
Re: What's did you like and not like about CoH?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 01:07:49 AM »
Liked  versatility of the toons the most.  A creative player could use their powers in unexpected ways like a storm/bubble def/troller could technically tank if needed or could use the hurricane/bubbles to force a mob into a corner.  Did that many times.

What I hated most was lack of enjoyment of the pve content of the pvp zones.  I suck at pvp and so could never truly enjoy the pvp zone's non-pvp content.  was too busy running from crazed pvp'rs with terribly bad attitudes.
No Surrender!

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 04:22:27 AM »
Liked:  diversity in play options from AT, to powersets to costumes.  Made it so the game was fresh with every new character.

Disliked:  division of playerbase into 3 worlds, 16 servers and 4 alignments.  Made it so that you couldn't team when/where you wanted at times.

Young Tutor

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 11:40:04 AM »
I'll second what other people said. I *loved* the diversity. Defenders were awesome. I liked the powerful crowd control options. The community was amazing.

I liked how (for the most part) you could get any enhancement you wanted if you were willing to work for it. I liked exemplaring and sidekicking. I liked multiple builds. I liked the way the developers kept the game fresh, revisiting older zones to make them more playable.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 12:55:18 PM »
What I hated was not usually considered by players.

I've been, and I'm still, a developer for a player-based UO shard. So how the game engine runs for any game is pretty important to me... and I found that the CoH "success engine" was horrendous. The problem was that it deals with modifiers linearly (+5 Defense means literally a +5% to your Defense in a linear percentage-based formula), which makes adding more and more Defense (or Resist) more effective than the previous point of Defense or Resist. Until you reach the cap, and then the newly added point becomes completely useless (except for protecting against debuffing).

It really should have been coded with a curved function, that asymptotically curves towards the cap (95% maximum chance to hit, for example). That would allow for several benefits:
1) Adding more and more buffs to a stat becomes less and less effective because the slope of the curve changes so you're getting less benefit. This instantly and automatically replaces ED, and we would never have needed the ED nerf.
2) You can never cap out. I never liked the concept of being capped. However, that allows you to get benefit from multiple sources of buffs without having the additional source "wasted". As we all know, you can't add a 2nd Kinetic in a large high level team and get much use from them, since it only takes one Fulcrum Shift to cap the entire team's +Damage (except maybe with Brutes). Similarly, a 2nd FF Defender in a team is nearly useless unless the opponents debuff Defense. But if you can't cap out, then the 2nd Kinetic and the 2nd FF always adds more to the relevant stats, even if it's not nearly as much as the first.
3) Because of the diminishing effect of stacking buffs and enhancements, we don't need any actual caps. The asymptote of the function's curve acts as an actual cap, so we don't need to artificially prevent players from adding more enhancements or buffs to any ability.

If they did that from the beginning of CoH's design, it would have prevented a LOT of issues from happening. I really hope that they go in this direction with CoH 2.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 04:48:49 PM »
I liked it being open, and disliked it being closed.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 05:02:06 PM »

I approve of your answer

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 01:47:49 AM »
I didn't like 'free to play', I think that did nothing for the game. It seemed to cheapen the game.
I would have just given free trial via some time period....

other than that, I enjoyed every minute I was playing CoH.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 03:03:40 AM »
I didn't like 'free to play', I think that did nothing for the game. It seemed to cheapen the game.

what I liked about city of heroes, was I made some good friends, and I was able to make characters close to how I wanted them to be :).
what I did not like was putting 3+ years in my case around 6 year vet with the new players and me losing all but 3 character slots. I did not like the nickel and diming the free to plays and preferred customers. I did not like that I had to pay for actual content missions, and in i24 more content that I would have been locked out of. Such as those found in Brickstown.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 05:51:22 AM »
Liked: The community
Didn't Like: Game being shut down

katycat737

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 06:07:18 AM »
Liked: Mind Control (especially the sounds of the skills)

Didn't like: I had a bad computer for 3/4's of the time I played CoX so I lagged a lot and loaded really slow. (I'm talking 1minute loading time). Played when CoV released and took a lot of extended breaks in between where I was bored or couldn't bother paying the sub, but managed to join in on the last year of CoX. So yeah that was a long time to upgrade my computer.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 08:39:45 AM »

Me too, I felt they were chasing folks who weren't going to pay anything anyways. I would have liked the devs to have been a little more open to balancing things early on and not wait several years before getting around to fixing things when it was clear there were issues. Forcing out damaged goods rather than listening to folks beta testing saying its not ready. Arenas, Hollows, AE just to name a few. Focusing on new player experience (Going Rogue/Galaxy City) rather than keeping current customers happy. I wasn't a big fan of the two seasonal events, Summer Blockbuster and Dr Kane, while the events are decently fun, you sometimes get lamers who zone in and just sit there.

OTOH, there was so much to like about CoH. The most important thing was freedom of choice. I can solo or team, most of the game content is soloable but there are plenty of things that are fun too in a team. You are not required to have anything in your team. Just grab 7 warm bodies and start that TF.  :)

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 05:56:28 PM »

As always, epic!
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 08:59:36 PM »
In my opinion I didn't like the new costume creator. I liked the old version better.

artbunker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 11:19:28 PM »
Liked.. Incarnate stuff. I loved the fact that I could go beyond 50 powerwise and team up with other 50's on a huge scale. Speaking of large scales. "League mode " made the game far more fun teaming up with other teams to accomplish a trial or goal.

Going Rouge Concept. I loved being able to take my hero to villiana and vice versa. It is worth the effort, and to be able to help friends out on either side was a blast.

Disliked high aution house prices. Snakes, VAZ, and them damn one eye monsters whos name begins with a R

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 12:07:16 AM »
As always, epic!

Can I take your quote at the bottom?

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 04:12:59 AM »
Charged,
Do you mean the one about a villain or the Rikti Monkey one?
Or do I not understand what you are asking?  :)

The Rikti Monkey quote is an actual interchange between me and another CoHer.
The villain and lunch money quote is just my observation.

Either way, I put it out on the internet so it's pretty much for grabs.   :D

Or if you mean "As always, epic!" it is not mine, I don't own the rights.  ;D
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 01:58:40 PM »
I can honestly say the PVP in the game was terrible and no I am not anti PVP

I was avid DAOC player back in the day and did lots of realm raids, I played Rift and PVP in other games it was just so what ever in COH. I tried it out just was not worth doing for a side distraction when you wanted a change of pace.

Loved the leveling and game play first game where I had a lot of alts and I never mined and the flexibility of being able to play solo or group depending on my schedule. I could still get top gear without having to raid that is what killed Rift for me I could not raid anymore due to my schedule I could not progress past a certain point on gear so why continue trying to grind. COH was so much more flexible and was great for my schedule which changes weekly to daily

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 03:47:34 PM »
LIKED:
Power Customization
AE
Incarnate content
IOs/WentWorths
Base Designing
Costume Creator
TFs
Pocket D (I disliked it on other servers...on Freedom it was the social/incarnate zone) - I'm not into RP so yeah...
Paragon Market

DISLIKED:
**Forums - Everything got blown out of proportion there..people trying to dictate how they think others should play...and the general overall immaturity of the players. I knew a lot of people who refused to even go there so I wound up being the one who would relay anything important from the forums.
**IOs... Lemme explain. I always thought it was crazy how you would have 15 single target sets of IOs and 5 targeted AoE or Heal recipe sets. I thought there needed to be way more choices in the sets...especially in the 30-50 range. I was happy they were getting rid of a lot of the useless bonuses in i24 and adding more sets.
**The number of zones - I always wanted less zones. If it were my game to make.. I would have gotten rid of Boomtown, Crey's Folly, Terra Volta (move the respec trial), Kings Row, Eden, and combined the FBZ zones into one. I liked villain side zones better because there weren't a bazillion LOL.
**The fact that bases were ignored so much by development.
**AE - lemme splain Lucy. I thought AE should be it's own co-op zone that you entered through Pocket D. This has nothing to do with AE babies (which were grossly exaggerated on the forums then and now) but rather a conceptual reason that I personally believed it should be in Pocket D...which was a social/entertainment hub.
**PvP Zones - Again wait... I had no issues with pvp... I maintained a 400 rep for a very long time on my main pvp toon. I always hated that there were badges and events/tasks in pvp zones that were only available there. I thought there should have been some type of system to flag a player as not available/touchable if they were there to ONLY do tasks and badges. It should have been a choice when you first entered the zone (So as it could not be griefed/abused). My main badger had a hell of a time getting the exploration badges in RV. I finally had to dual box with that toon following my stalker... when people would mess with that toon.. I would kill them with my stalker :) (I killed 5 or 6 people that way and got a Glad Proc from one of the kills so I felt vindicated LOL)

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 07:47:26 PM »
Sirens Call was an awesome zone. I remember before I13, I wasn't interested in PVP, but loved to sort of drag the groups into eachother and watch the chaos on my stalker, just for fun!

The PVP mechanics, Not so much.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 11:22:24 PM »
I did not like the burn nerf - where the fire made the mobs "scared" and scatter, despite taunting. I understood why it was done, and can even see their point, but I still didn't like it. When they "nerfed" the first nerf, I was very happy.

I didn't like the missions with simultaneous clicks - was glad they fixed most of those.

I didn't like CoV. A dark, creepy place. I thought they should have just made villains and set them loose on hero side. The reasons I didn't like CoV - it drew players away from CoH and the zones were creepy! Not that I teamed that much - I can be a bit moody. Wanting to team some days, wanting to /ghide on others. But, for Maria Jenkins arcs and whatnot, I recall there being a lot off villain players online so I couldn't get up a team to do the AVs. It's part of the reason I got a second account - one character to do the tanking, the other to do the damage. (or buffing, while one does damage)

And honestly, there were some amazing times in Siren's call pre-issue 13. It was a blast, and it was a darn shame that it couldn't like that again. Post i-13, I don't think I ever saw more than 10 characters in zone at one time. Just a shame. It was one of the best new zones - a lot of us, even those of us that weren't all about pvp. I mean, I could not care less about pvp. But, because there were toxic tarantulas, @sinala and myself, we'd go in there and kill them for the badge. She was an emp, gave me clear mind, so I could always see the stalkers. Freeze Ray, bitter freeze ray and then Bitter Ice blast, ice blast, dead. Occasionally, ice patch would help out, too.
Sometimes, they'd gang up on us. Darn masterminds and their lieutenants! I'd try to get the MM in my sights, but those rascals, some of them wouldn't even be in sight! Drove me crazy, but it was fun. If I knew then what I knew now, I'd have made a bind to target them somehow....lol.

I also loved the ski slopes. Very fun stuff.

I would have never trick-or-treated if there weren't badges involved. It was fun the first couple of times, but after that, it got old. Nobody put a gun to my head, but you know, the pursuit of things shiny is why I played.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

rezulin

• Minion
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 01:22:24 AM »
I liked being able to play and group up with friends no matter what level you, or they, were.  I have yet to find a desirable game that does this. 

I disliked the End crash caused by the Nuke powers (luckily they were getting fixed).  Also disliked not being able to spend alignment merits more than 1 per 20 hour period. 

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 10:15:42 PM »
Here are my top 3

Like:
#1 Build customization.
#2 Being able to build in game playable content (AE and bases)
#3 Both good solo and group play

Dislike:
#1 Support team. Low knowledge support staff and ones that flat out lied to me really did not make my day...
#2 Bug Hunter. I reported hundreds of bugs over the years, including a god mode that I did not exploit. No badge.
#3 Influence/infamy spammers. At least when it subscription they could ban accounts, but with free-to-play, they would just make another account in a couple of minutes and be spamming again.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 03:04:54 AM »
Liked:
Eight man groups
ITF
The community
The incredible array of powersets and archtypes.
No cookie cutter builds
The costume builder - and some of the very creative costumes people came up with
No need for the typical "Trinity" required in most other MMORPGs
Targeted toward the casual player

Disliked:
The way the Devs built systems like AE and Base Building - then left them to rot
IO Sets - way too complex
non-fluff items in the store
Pricing of store items - too expensive
AE - could have been so much more, but they nerfed it into oblivion, placed too many restrictions, then left it
with no enhancments other than the occasional nerf.
The elimination of Galaxy City
Perez Park
Power customization - my eyeballs were seared on many teams.  Needed someway to turn down power intensity and/or disable my view of power
customizations.
ED
GDN
Too strict naming policy
The Praetorian zones/story arcs -several missions were too hard to solo
Gold Spammers
Help Channel spammers
PVP

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 07:53:12 AM »
I also didn't like the new City of Heroes Freedom theme song. It didn't fit for a hero.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 08:37:40 AM »
I don't think the CoH:Freedom theme was meant to be traditionally heroic in the vein of the old CoH theme.  Instead, it was almost telling a story of heroes overcoming villains.

It started out slow and depressing, but soon gained a note of hope, becoming more triumphant as it went on, followed by a dropping out of the triumphant theme and a scare chord, then an upbeat part, soon overlaid with the return of the triumphant theme, and ending on that tone, with a heroic fanfare.  Basically, the world is bad (the slow part), heroes emerge to try to clean it up (the triumphant part), the villains strike back (the quiet part and the scare chord), the heroes take action (the fast part), and win (the triumphant reprise and ending fanfare).

I thought it was VERY fitting for a hero, but you have to listen to the whole thing to really hear it.

(P.S., Devs Hate Redside)

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 12:02:51 PM »
I did not like the way they implemented free to play. It was annoying finding out I can't do content with everyone in a PUG, and it gave the gold sellers/spammers unlimited accounts to create immediately after one got banned. At least with a verified account they could ban problem players. I would have really liked it if they limited all new accounts to a single server. Then at least it would cost the gold spammers real money to transfer accounts out. I kind of like the idea of making a "Purgatory" server as well. Instead of banning, a player gets transferred over to that server and cannot transfer out for a set amount of time. Perhaps have half XP and drop rates on that server or something.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 12:37:03 PM »
This thread has opened my eyes on the diversity of individual players for sure.

I liked pretty much everything, this was a game with so much variety it never got old for me, at least not to the point where I said "I've seen/done it all."
Some big ones were:

1.) Pvp community pre I-13 changes. Everything was fast and in your face, everybody had a place even if some were overpowered it didn't make playing something weaker less. Obviously 1v1 in a game like CoH has no place, which was very clear after the changes that were implemented to allow such a thing and still ended up with cookie cutters. The fact is/was if you're the type to want a cookie cutter you'll make one. I'll never forget sirens call when it was packed full...

2.) RP community was super immersive. Although it turned into a who knows who type of situation at the end, the early stages were phenomenal. I can't say the clique-ness was any worse than the pvp community though, it made sense RP'rs would build very personal in depth stories that probably weren't suited for public.

3.) The drastic difference between Coh/CoV. The gritty dark world of villains, although under developed and disliked by the devs, was a really lovely thing to me. I wish the color palettes were less brown/tan and more black/neon, none the less I enjoyed my dark alleys. CoH was flat out beautiful, I suppose it a lot easier to want to design things easy on the eyes so it all kind of makes sense as to why the devs favored it. I definitely can't hold a grudge, especially knowing how much more versatile and expressive you can get with hero side. I just wish there was a a villain area that was colorful and creepy, very difficult to pull off though.

4.) The powers! The sheer amount of combinations is crazy to think about even by today's mmo standards. Not only that they were so unique, casting animations were obviously shared due to budget/time constraints but the fx themselves were amazing.

5.) Costume design. Once again a mind blowing ability offered to create a unique style/look. Very rarely did you see two people dressed exactly alike and if they were it was usually intentional or some type of event pieces offered for Xmas/Halloween etc. Cannot speak highly enough about this.

Honourable mention goes to the chat/communication system, the best/easiest system I've ever had the pleasure of using.

As far as dislikes goes, probably the amount of servers. There were some being used by very niche groups that otherwise were empty. This really made it an obstacle to connect with other like-minded people. I understand the capacity issues, seeing how virtue/freedom were almost always in the red, but even still I found it difficult to find teams even within those two servers if I wasn't Lvl 50.

Also the mission creator. I get the devs lacked content but it turned into a farming heaven that really made it pointless to play through the stuff they spent so many hours creating. If there were some way to allow players to design content and have "the best of" implemented into the game simply by placing some npcs and door entries around the pre-existing maps I think that would have been much cooler.

These are definitely my opinions though, I literally miss it all so much but hey I figured I'd give this thread a shot.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2014, 11:53:51 PM »
I really liked the new shop. The menu was a bit cumbersome at first, but not bad.
I purchased a neat Rocket pack for an alt character.
The Steampunk was nice, even though I didn't have a steam character.

They were adding all kinds of things, accessories, emos, who knows what would've been added by now?

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2014, 01:51:22 AM »
Everything and Nothing..

Dal

• Minion
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2014, 03:35:41 AM »
I didn't like CoV. A dark, creepy place. I thought they should have just made villains and set them loose on hero side. The reasons I didn't like CoV - it drew players away from CoH and the zones were creepy! Not that I teamed that much - I can be a bit moody. Wanting to team some days, wanting to /ghide on others. But, for Maria Jenkins arcs and whatnot, I recall there being a lot off villain players online so I couldn't get up a team to do the AVs. It's part of the reason I got a second account - one character to do the tanking, the other to do the damage. (or buffing, while one does damage)
I must be the only person who actually likes CoV's zones. :P I don't know if it's because I started playing shortly after CoV came out, but Rogue Isles really is a quite special place to me.

Winter Fable

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2014, 08:26:48 PM »
I did not like that the devs split the player base.Lets see it was COV,AE,Going Rogue and then Incarnate stuff.We just did not have the player base for it.Then there were all the chat channels tf,sg,and so many others which made it really hard for new people to find teams.I understand as a game gets older people form clicks but by having so many the last year or two teaming was tough,even on servers like freedom.My list of friends just got smaller every year.Hopefully if we get the game back more people will be aware we need to be inclusive.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2014, 08:38:17 PM »
I did not like that the devs split the player base.Lets see it was COV,AE,Going Rogue and then Incarnate stuff.We just did not have the player base for it.Then there were all the chat channels tf,sg,and so many others which made it really hard for new people to find teams.I understand as a game gets older people form clicks but by having so many the last year or two teaming was tough,even on servers like freedom.My list of friends just got smaller every year.Hopefully if we get the game back more people will be aware we need to be inclusive.

I mostly agree with you. The player base did get split up by the form of the game and it got to the point that you had to research the server you were on to get into the right chat channels. And this was limiting in finding team members for anything.

But lets remember why many of those chat channels got created in the first place. A lot of it had to do with being able to ignore general player spams over silly stuff.
How many times were you trying to find a team for something only to be drowned out by 3 billion and 1 Chuck Norris jokes or an argument between two or three individuals or shout outs for liking pie or...

Sometimes it was just too loud on gen chat to get anything done.

And I mostly played on Infinity which was not exactly on the most populated list.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2014, 12:48:37 AM »
What bothers me the most of what I don't like is when Paragon Studios killed off Statesman and Sister Psyche. I'm still trying to figure it out why they did that. They killed the MASCOT of City of Heroes!

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2014, 04:22:39 PM »
I LOVED everything about this game. The depth of that love diminished greatly after issue 5.  Still loved it but hated losing:  crazy herding missions, spawning gobs upon gobs of pets, perma hasten and mission debt (kind of made every mission a little scarey).  I had a lot of friends leave after issue 5.

What I REALLY loved about this game was back in the Summer of 2004 I purchased CoH at the local GameStop. I had never ventured into MMO land but all my co-workers were playing. I was hooked from the start. Actually, the only reason I initially played was that there was this really hot girl at work who was playing and I figured that by playing the game and teaming up with her we would sort of be hanging out together after work (even if it was only on the computer).

My first character was an Electrical/Electricity Blaster. Trying to be comical, I named him Sir Cumcision and he fought the good fight on the Infinity server. Needless to say, that name was nerfed by CoH after about 2 weeks of playing. I was given the name GenericHero05 which I actually decided to keep for the duration.

By the way, it worked. I married that hot girl in 2006.

Before the shutdown, our kids had heroes in the game.

THAT'S what I truly loved about this game!
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2014, 05:53:25 AM »
What bothers me the most of what I don't like is when Paragon Studios killed off Statesman and Sister Psyche. I'm still trying to figure it out why they did that. They killed the MASCOT of City of Heroes!

Because they know the end was coming.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2014, 11:32:42 AM »
I liked that the studio was clearly working toward something really big - the fact that they had an ongoing and proceeding plot. I would have loved to see Battalion.

I liked that, no matter how far in the game you progressed, they had content for both teamers and soloers. You weren't required to team up if you didn't want to.

I liked both the fact that there was so much variety to costumes, and the fact that costume pieces or "gear" did not determine your stats. I liked the fact that there was no "combat rating" by which people determined your worthiness.

I liked that people in this game accepted, for the most part, that it was just a game and they didn't take it too seriously. Good sportsmanship, from what I saw.

Only in CoH did I have a toon that perfectly, and I mean perfectly represented the main character of my novel. I could even write his back story!

I liked that you had access to all of your powers. You could organize them and such, but you didn't have to create "loadout trays" just to use certain powers. It really gave the sense of getting stronger and learning all the cool things you could do with your powers. A real life superhero wouldn't have "loadouts." A real life superhero would just learn more. I liked that a lot, and I didn't even realize how blessed I was to have that. Also loved the incarnate system.

I really did not like when they removed the five starting contacts and made them one. Sorry, Matthew Habashy was nice and all, but when there were five starting contacts, there was more variety to the beginning of your game.

I think the free-to-play model was pretty broken. Then again, f2p is a complicated balance, and can be hard to implement in a game that has been pay-to-play for so long.

I wish blasters had gotten more love - they were SO CLOSE to doing just that, too!

CoV needed some more light. It just seemed too dingy and dark all the time. I like my villains with a little bit of light. I liked my heroes with a little bit of dark. I always felt that the villains=dark, heroes=light stereotype needed to be put to bed.

The graphics could have used some serious updating.

In truth, those are all nitpicking things. I adored this game. I still miss it, pushing two years since it was shuttered. I have dreams about it. I watch videos of gameplay. Even with the things I disliked, I would have changed nothing. It was one game that I was willing to accept, tiny, almost unnoticeable warts and all.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2014, 08:47:16 PM »
I liked most directions the game went in but my main issue was PvP.

It was not thought out. CoX PvP assumes everyone's roll is to kill the other player. I expected a vastly different way to play.

I wanted:

1. various mission type scenarios Capture the Flag, Escort the NPC, Briefcase retrieval and other such staples of FPS games.
2. Buffable items - walls, doors and so on. Where a defender could throw up a shield on it just like in the Reactor Respec TF
3. Player created maps - the AE should have been made for PvP.
4. Player designed PvP - let the players find a style that worked - with all of the AE strengths if you could edit the maps, power balance inside AE and allow a custom control players would have made a type of PvP that would have been amazing.

This is what I would like to see in any of the replacement or CoH2 games. I was so incredibly disappointed when AE wasn't PvP based.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2014, 09:09:16 PM »
How do you stop a teleporter in capture the flag?  ???
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2014, 10:13:02 PM »
Environment, minefield, sharks with fricken lazer beams attached to there heads.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2014, 08:30:25 PM »
How do you stop a teleporter in capture the flag?  ???
Increase Density, Recall Foe, Clear Mind, Repel and many other powers all cast on the flag would be used to stop TPing the flag.

Think outside of the box! That is why I said players could have solved the balance issues. If I can use powers on a reactor in a Trial - I can use it on a flag or wall/door/desk.

Bleed

• Underling
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2014, 05:24:49 AM »
I think I miss pre 50 introductions when 40 was the limit and HO's were the ultimate goal. For me personally the game lost its flavor when IO's became part of the game and the epics was the final straw I stopped playing prior to the close because I didnt like the new epic power direction :(

I think in the pre50 days the game was more balanced

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2014, 12:00:22 PM »
I must be the only person who actually likes CoV's zones. :P I don't know if it's because I started playing shortly after CoV came out, but Rogue Isles really is a quite special place to me.

I liked it too, more so than Paragon City: it was obviously designed with the mistakes of the previous maps in mind, plus it seemed to have more map variation in general.  And on the side of ineffability, there was just something about it that felt better to me too.  I started playing CoH but CoV was where I caught the bug, so that probably has something to do with it.
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2014, 08:56:01 PM »
2) You can never cap out. I never liked the concept of being capped. However, that allows you to get benefit from multiple sources of buffs without having the additional source "wasted".
Oooo...my solo SR Scrapper does not like this very much.
I thought there should have been some type of system to flag a player as not available/touchable if they were there to ONLY do tasks and badges. It should have been a choice when you first entered the zone (So as it could not be griefed/abused). My main badger had a hell of a time getting the exploration badges in RV. I finally had to dual box with that toon following my stalker... when people would mess with that toon.. I would kill them with my stalker :) (I killed 5 or 6 people that way and got a Glad Proc from one of the kills so I felt vindicated LOL)
That's pretty funny.   8)   Good idea there.
Also the mission creator. I get the devs lacked content but it turned into a farming heaven that really made it pointless to play through the stuff they spent so many hours creating. If there were some way to allow players to design content and have "the best of" implemented into the game simply by placing some npcs and door entries around the pre-existing maps I think that would have been much cooler.
I used to go to the AE section of the forum to find missions that people had posted.   That made it really easy. (and there were a LOT of them)  You just have to walk around the farmers on your way to the door...no big deal.
By the way, it worked. I married that hot girl in 2006.

Before the shutdown, our kids had heroes in the game.

THAT'S what I truly loved about this game!
Awesome.    :D

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2014, 01:10:55 AM »
Liked:

Global channels
Server Channels
SG Channels
Create-a-channel
Exemplar at +5
Travel Powers at L6
Power Set Proliferation
Global Player Ratings
Customizable UI

Dislike: