Author Topic: If we start with no user data  (Read 103847 times)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
If we start with no user data
« on: July 04, 2014, 01:02:59 AM »
Since this is not a new game - well it is in the sense that it is new management. I was thinking of ways to give players back some of their stuff quickly. I do know that people feel that I paid for it once why pay again and I don't dismiss that. However the new management has never collected anything yet. Sp how do you fairly administer this?

Ideas for the games return:

1. Allow every player to get 1 level 50 at the start.
2. Allow either a starter pack with all the Vet rewards or have a same starting setup as the 50 where you get to pick say any 10 rewards.
3. Open all AT including VT's at creation.

Try posting some ways that would be fair to both the new owners and players!

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
Re: If we start with no user data
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 01:09:39 AM »
I would say let everyone start with the premium at's like controller and mastermind. I would also say give everyone 10 character slots, because some people would buy more slots, I know I would. everything else I agree with what you said :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Zerias

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 01:59:29 AM »
Since this is not a new game - well it is in the sense that it is new management. I was thinking of ways to give players back some of their stuff quickly. I do know that people feel that I paid for it once why pay again and I don't dismiss that. However the new management has never collected anything yet. Sp how do you fairly administer this?

2. Allow either a starter pack with all the Vet rewards or have a same starting setup as the 50 where you get to pick say any 10 rewards.

I would note that several players took Titan Sentinel backups. Assuming that the player database was indeed destroyed by NCSoft and is completely non-recoverable (or non-purchasable) allowing Sentinel Imports could be the quickest way to bring the previous playerbase back up to speed.

DragonCommando

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 02:18:57 AM »
I was thinking about it today.

This is what I thought: offer 2 "welcome back start packs", a premium one, with everything (powersets, costumes, signature story arcs etc) post Going Rogue unlocked, and normal one with everything pre Going Rogue unlocked plus ITrials. Of course the premium one would be more expensive (I just hope it is not too expensive, I think that 20% would be fair), I also thought  that it would be nice to let people upgrade from normal to premium "start pack" during a period  of 6(?) months, since some people might be living a difficult financial situation...

I know that it would be a form of paying again for somethings that we had already bought, but like you said it wasn't paid to this new group, and they will need some cash to keep the game running...

To reach 50 faster, what about a month of 2XP, followed by another month with all weekends 2XP?

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 02:28:04 AM »
I would say let everyone start with the premium at's like controller and mastermind. I would also say give everyone 10 character slots, because some people would buy more slots, I know I would. everything else I agree with what you said :)

Controller and Mastermind are premium ATs?  They came with the basic CoH and CoV games.

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 02:30:31 AM »
I was thinking about it today.

This is what I thought: offer 2 "welcome back start packs", a premium one, with everything (powersets, costumes, signature story arcs etc) post Going Rogue unlocked, and normal one with everything pre Going Rogue unlocked plus ITrials. Of course the premium one would be more expensive (I just hope it is not too expensive, I think that 20% would be fair), I also thought  that it would be nice to let people upgrade from normal to premium "start pack" during a period  of 6(?) months, since some people might be living a difficult financial situation...

I know that it would be a form of paying again for somethings that we had already bought, but like you said it wasn't paid to this new group, and they will need some cash to keep the game running...

To reach 50 faster, what about a month of 2XP, followed by another month with all weekends 2XP?

Ugh. Some of us (well, at least me  :P) do not want to level faster.

Instead, the new owners could sell inspirations for 2x XP and probably make boatloads of money.   ;D

gypsyav

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 02:36:30 AM »
Ugh. Some of us (well, at least me  :P) do not want to level faster.

Instead, the new owners could sell inspirations for 2x XP and probably make boatloads of money.   ;D

Given there was an option to turn off XP I don't have a problem with running 2x XP events for the people who want to level quick. I'll just turn off XP so I don't level too fast. :)

I definitely want to see a way to at least get all the costume packs. I purchased all but one of them before they even opened the market and the one I didn't purchase I won a code for in a contest or I would have purchased it as well.

If I have to spend a little more on the game in order to get everything I had at shut down I'd be willing but not necessarily able if it cost too much.
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 02:38:47 AM »

I like option 2 the best, as it gives the players options.

Personally, I don't care much for a lot of the Vet rewards or some costume options but do want certain other costume options (namely the animated wolf tail and fur so I can remake my "fox" girl character again.. she's an alien.. really).

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 02:41:44 AM »
Given there was an option to turn off XP I don't have a problem with running 2x XP events for the people who want to level quick. I'll just turn off XP so I don't level too fast. :)

I don't want to turn XP earning off; I just don't want to earn it at gotta-have-it-now rates.

gypsyav

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 02:50:30 AM »
I don't want to turn XP earning off; I just don't want to earn it at gotta-have-it-now rates.

I was thinking along the lines of only turning it off half the time you were playing. You would still earn XP at the regular rate and the people who wanted to would be earning it at the double rate.

Not perfect but gives everyone more control of how fast they level.
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 03:10:33 AM »
I personally like options 2 and 3 that you presented, Ironwolf. I wouldn't mind climbing the ladder to 50 with my characters again, since I personally never actually reached the cap ... ever.

And I'd at least like to complete that journey on my main characters. If we're given a free 50 at start, I'd be compelled to make one of them my flagship characters, and miss out on that journey. I mean, sure, we DO get Ouroboros and all, but ...

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 03:19:23 AM »
Controller and Mastermind are premium ATs?  They came with the basic CoH and CoV games.
This is true, however when they went to free to play they became premium At's, they were either unlocked at a certain reward level or had to buy them from the paragon market at 800 each
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 04:05:05 AM »
The Sentinel+ thing.  Do that.  Make that a thing.   I can import my characters as needed or wanted.  I'll say it right now: Some I made I wouldn't miss too much, but some?  I definitely want them back if possible, to the point that I'll placeholder them and rebuild them the long way if I need to... but I'd rather not.

So, if not, then this, for the first month or possibly two after the servers come back up:

1) Max character slots available per server, period, no exceptions.

2) All costume parts available, period, no exceptions.

3) All ATs and powers therto available, period, no exceptions.

For most accounts, these three get deactivated after the first month or two, and it's back to whatever the rules were for freebie and premium.  So get in early, or suffer the fate of your slowness. 

But there are two more to deal with:

4) VIP accounts (subscribers, like I'll be) will have NO THING UNAVAILABLE TO THEM.  EVER.  Provided their VIP status is in good standing.  New content, new parts, new powers, new ATs, whatever... we get them as part of our subscription as a thank you for the monthly contribution.  While I might need to acquire INF or salvage or whatever to acquire some bits or pieces, or go through mission A to get to mission set B or whatever, I do not have to pay for it extra to get it.  It just is available to me because I already pay up per month on a monthly rate.  The Paragon Rewards thing does not apply except to Tier 9+ stuff, whereupon we get double the monthly stipend for the VIP points.

5) For any character started in the first month or two (as specified above) that character, for it's duration, will get free INF for levelling.  Enough to cover the cost of slotting all the powers you have at that level with all of the most expensive T/S/D Origin items available at a 'regular' store.  IOs aren't included, salvage and recipies aren't included.  That INF stipend is in addition to whatever you earn in battle.

---

And while I don't think any of that will come to pass, that's what I'd do, to both celebrate the return of the City, as well as reward us for the patience and belief that it would come to pass.

Here's to my being right or wrong, but the City lives regardless. :D

Steelhelm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 04:21:15 AM »
I like the second and the third suggestion, especially the second one. I would buy that starter pack in a second. :P However, I believe that not many of us would mind having to level up all our characters to 50. We did it once(and possibly A LOT more than once), we can do it again.

DragonCommando

• Minion
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 04:50:36 AM »
About Sentinel, Codewalker already told that it may not be a good idea...

Not for anything official, no. Sentinel+ data is too incomplete to create a fully functional character from -- at best you can get an approximation. It could be useful for a private server that doesn't mind having slightly broken and buggy characters, but no sane game operator would invite that sort of support nightmare.

MaxDefense

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 05:20:03 AM »

If all data is lost and we have no way to validate our past info then I think everyone that subscribes to pay to play should get first 6 months free to play

Don't like the idea of giving everone a lvl 50 we would end up with a bunch of lvl 50s that may or may not even understand the AT they are playing

I think a clean slate everyone starts fresh those that have played will level faster and the new players will learn the way we all did the first time

We will all hunt for badges again and Atlas Park will be a very busy spot like the good old days

I played the game for more than 8 years and thats just my thoughts on the subject

Without_Pause

• Minion
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 05:46:13 AM »
Just give me a sub, and I'll take care of the rest.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 05:59:13 AM »
I think I would most want all of the ATs, power sets and costume parts that were finished as of the close of the game to become part of the base game.  Anything that requires further development time for testing etc. can be sold.

Slots and maybe a limit of one free 50 could be purchasable.  Also an opening weekend Double XP would rock!

I'm not sure what would be fair as far as Vet Rewards go... if you give them all away there's nothing to work for, but if you make them at normal speed you have several years from earning them. Or there could be no restrictions on the tree and any reward can be chosen each month.  That way each player could pick what they wanted most, and the ones they didn't want as much could be religated to the end according to their whims.

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 07:01:25 AM »

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 07:19:43 AM »
Rather than expect being given stuff for free, I'd see:
* All previous "edition exclusive" and veteran reward items (powers, enhancements, costume parts etc) purchasable (at a steeper price then their normal equivalents)
* Launch period prices in store at discount (perhaps as much as 50%), excluding consumables.
* For some undefined "catch-up" period the prices would slowly be increased to full
* For the same period, double XP / INF gains would help most folks get up to speed with at least some of their toons
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 10:19:11 AM by The Fifth Horseman »
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.