Author Topic: If we start with no user data  (Read 105217 times)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
Re: If we start with no user data
« Reply #460 on: September 05, 2014, 12:40:42 PM »
Sounds to me that what you are saying is that possession of a data file (be it original, copied, modified, or new) is valid reason for a person to start out loaded with everything they had while the 'less fortunate' can go pound sand.

You have my meaning exactly.  I see no reason to move us all down to the lowest common denominator.

That said, I'd agree to a reasonable for to import my characters back in.  I don't need the salvage, influence, etc.  I can earn what I had back in short order.  But the characters represent eight and a half years of my life.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #461 on: September 05, 2014, 12:57:05 PM »
You have my meaning exactly.  I see no reason to move us all down to the lowest common denominator.

That said, I'd agree to a reasonable for to import my characters back in.  I don't need the salvage, influence, etc.  I can earn what I had back in short order.  But the characters represent eight and a half years of my life.

I personally dont understand why anyone else cares what anyone else has... I dont give a crap.. I mean really its not like you get to see a database of everything I have.. I could be on a level 1 playing and have tons of Level 50's fully IO'd out with gajillions of influence and you as another player would NEVER know it..

I also dont understand the whole.. everyone should start out on the same footing argument.. its a crap argument. that holds water for a 4.32 seconds..

Some people will play more than others..

Some people will buy tons of XP boosters in store..

Some people will PL faster than others.. Some people will reform their SG PL Superteams immediately..

The Gold farmers will come back and some people will pay to have toons PL'd (lets not act like it wont happen)

The most important thing to me in getting character data is attracting as many Vets to the game as possible...

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #462 on: September 05, 2014, 03:08:48 PM »
This idea that previous players won't come back if they don't get their stuff is insulting to the playerbase.

The overwhelming opinion we have seen so far is that Game > Stuff
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #463 on: September 05, 2014, 04:12:22 PM »
The only way I want player data restored is if it comes from the actual game. I do not support the Sentinel importation (nor do I think it would ever be used on an official release because that would cause a HUGE crap storm). I have most of my toons in Sentinel, but I know a lot of people who played from beta to sunset who didn't...and they would not come back if Sentinel were used for account/character data.

Personally if we get the data or not...doesn't matter to me. If I have to start over (which will prolly be the case)...then so be it... I love CoH and I will love playing my toons again. Plus I mean... I can just PL my toons ... :) And I can farm for influence... not a biggy... :) Not saying I don't want my account/character data back, but not getting it would not be a deterrent to me.

I just want everything to go through...and get an ETA on re-launch. Gonna buy a new PC once I get the go that the game is coming back on whatever date :)

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #464 on: September 05, 2014, 05:38:11 PM »
Quote from: HEATSTROKE
The most important thing to me in getting character data is attracting as many Vets to the game as possible...

I think this is your blind spot.  You seem to be more concerned about the older players (and rebuilding the past) than bringing in new players and building a larger playerbase for the future.

sl701

• Minion
« Reply #465 on: September 05, 2014, 05:46:45 PM »
The overwhelming opinion we have seen so far is that Game > Stuff

For me, definitely this. I played CoX for nearly 7 years and I don't mind re-starting at level one as long as the game comes back... Heck, I just want to visit the Rogue Isles again  :'(

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #466 on: September 05, 2014, 06:47:24 PM »
I think this is your blind spot.  You seem to be more concerned about the older players (and rebuilding the past) than bringing in new players and building a larger playerbase for the future.

After the first month of 'new shiny' wears off, we'll be back down to lower numbers than I23 when it came out.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #467 on: September 05, 2014, 08:55:10 PM »
After the first month of 'new shiny' wears off, we'll be back down to lower numbers than I23 when it came out.

Let's assume you are correct.  So what?

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #468 on: September 05, 2014, 09:20:01 PM »

And with 1/50th the monetary needs for CoHi23. It's maintenance mode... Once the NCSoft deal is paid for..anything CoHi23 makes above maintenance costs is extra. CoHi23 will not have as many players as CoH did on 8/29/2012... and that's ok. The goal is to revive CoH (i23) and then focus on CoH 1.5.

CoH had approximately 50-70k active subs (Free/Premium/VIP) right before the announcement... Heck if we can get 20k subs that would be awesome... even if they only charged $5 a month for access... that's 100k a month... in one year thats 1.2 million. I think on relaunch it's going to be around 35-40k and will after a month or two settle to the 20-22k number. That's not anything to be ashamed of... Truthfully in maintenance mode you would only need about 4k people to pay $5 a month for a pure maintenance mode CoH to come even in costs. So let's not worry about what's going to be IN the game character data wise...let's just worry about getting the game..and getting it up and running.

I also think this time around we will see more fresh faces because I am pretty damn sure a lot of the returnees are going to be spreading the news...and getting more people they know involved in the game... I know I already have.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #469 on: September 05, 2014, 09:34:26 PM »

I'm only concerned that players who devoted time and money will be less excited to devote money all over again to something they know won't be around forever, and will have a hard time believing is there to stay if they start as a player would have for the first time in i23.

If nothing else I paid for Going Rogue (alignment system, prae characters) cape and aura access at level 1, and a boatload of costumes. I will be the first to say I respect they cant get our account data, but I would appreciate summat more than just starting my account from scratch.

I'll accept if it's impossible, but I won't be very happy.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #470 on: September 05, 2014, 09:38:22 PM »
I'm only concerned that players who devoted time and money will be less excited to devote money all over again to something they know won't be around forever, and will have a hard time believing is there to stay if they start as a player would have for the first time in i23.

If nothing else I paid for Going Rogue (alignment system, prae characters) cape and aura access at level 1, and a boatload of costumes. I will be the first to say I respect they cant get our account data, but I would appreciate summat more than just starting my account from scratch.

Absolutely agreed, the costume and access codes are important items to make available.  Yet another way to make more people Premium players at discounted prices :)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #471 on: September 05, 2014, 11:25:27 PM »
Let's assume you are correct.  So what?

My point being that it is better to pander to the customers you have (in this case, we the faithful) than the customers you'd like to have (in this case, people that never played or played and quit).

Now, I have no issue with making all the premium items in the game free to everyone even though I paid for all that stuff, except for beam rifle.  I have no issue with starting all my characters over at level 1 with zero influence, zero prestige/infamy, no salvage, no enhancements and without my base.

I'd just like my characters reloaded because some of those costumes cannot be re-created.  They contain costume pieces that you can no longer select in the tailor.  Beyond that, I want the return of the emotional investment I put into those characters.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #472 on: September 05, 2014, 11:30:23 PM »
I'd just like my characters reloaded because some of those costumes cannot be re-created.  They contain costume pieces that you can no longer select in the tailor.  Beyond that, I want the return of the emotional investment I put into those characters.

This sounds like a job for someone more familiar with icon. If NPC mode can't select the pieces, I would be seriously surprised. barring that, costume files can be edited. Do you have screens? :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #473 on: September 05, 2014, 11:41:36 PM »

This. I'm having a hard time justifying why I should put money into this game -again- when they plan to shut it down -again-. I've said it numerous times how little I could care about 1.5, mainly because I have massive doubts you could port all the things veteran CoX players want and expect into a new engine that actually runs properly within a year. I would really appreciate a very detailed plan as to what they are going to achieve and by what date. If I'm going to pay out the wazoo to get all my stuff back into running order and it's not carried into 1.5, what exactly is the point? Not trying to be pessimistic but just a realist. I love this game more than any I've ever played, started at open beta and played to the bitter end. I really don't feel like going through that same situation... Fool me once kinda thing.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #474 on: September 06, 2014, 01:31:44 AM »

There is NO plan to shut down CoHi23 ...let's make that clear first of all. It has been stated numerous times that the goal is to keep CoHi23 up and running for as long as humanly possible. Heck they are even looking into Windows 9 compatibility because Windows 7 will no longer be supported after 2020... 6 years from now.

It has also been stated that one of the goals for CoH 1.5 is to be able to port characters from CoHi23. Does that mean it will definitely happen.. nope...but it does mean that it is a known concern and on people's wishlist....and I have absolute faith that the 1.5 team will try everything they can to make that possible.

NONE of this information you are wanting is available...and details regarding it won't be until after the ink has dried on the deal and things get moving on restoring CoHi23. There is no date for CoHi23 relaunch...and there is absolutely no date for CoH1.5.... sorry but they aren't going to guess and then when said date approaches be flamed to hell and back.

The point of CoHi23... getting the game back. There is no guarantee that 1.5 will be ready 1 year after CoHi23 launches.. it could be less or more time than that. But in the meantime..while you wait.... you can play CoHi23. I have a feeling (No I am not affiliated with CoHi23 or any other CoH/"successor" projects) that the Neo-Devs for i23 are aware of what people want...and if I were them would make everything available for a nominal monthly fee of either $5 or $10 (All costumes...story arcs..etc etc) and still include a store for insps, power ups, super packs, etc etc...).

In other words.. NOTHING is set in stone... and you...like everyone else...are going to have to wait to find out how things are going to proceed...and then you can decide once the information is out there whether CoHi23 is for you...or maybe you wait for CoH1.5.

(I'm not waiting.. I will literally be there the minute the servers come back on)

This. I'm having a hard time justifying why I should put money into this game -again- when they plan to shut it down -again-. I've said it numerous times how little I could care about 1.5, mainly because I have massive doubts you could port all the things veteran CoX players want and expect into a new engine that actually runs properly within a year. I would really appreciate a very detailed plan as to what they are going to achieve and by what date. If I'm going to pay out the wazoo to get all my stuff back into running order and it's not carried into 1.5, what exactly is the point? Not trying to be pessimistic but just a realist. I love this game more than any I've ever played, started at open beta and played to the bitter end. I really don't feel like going through that same situation... Fool me once kinda thing.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #475 on: September 06, 2014, 01:59:22 AM »

Dont know how you made the leap that far.. how does wanting long term veterans like myself to regain what they played and enjoyed some for 8 years actively prevent bringing in new players and building a larger playerbase for the future..

You game of connect the dots seems to be missing A LOT of dots..

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #476 on: September 06, 2014, 02:52:39 AM »
This sounds like a job for someone more familiar with icon. If NPC mode can't select the pieces, I would be seriously surprised. barring that, costume files can be edited. Do you have screens? :)

Oh yes, I've got lots of screen shots, videos captured with FRAPS, and of course the Sentinel+ files.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #477 on: September 06, 2014, 04:26:51 AM »
Oh yes, I've got lots of screen shots, videos captured with FRAPS, and of course the Sentinel+ files.

I forget, are costume details in sentinel plus? If not, screenshots and some patience and someone could prooobably figure it out.

Also a thing worth noting: I am totally okay with newbies to the game getting perks for joining this game already in progress. I encourage it. To help us maintain our city, they deserve somethin :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #478 on: September 06, 2014, 03:16:30 PM »
Dont know how you made the leap that far.. how does wanting long term veterans like myself to regain what they played and enjoyed some for 8 years actively prevent bringing in new players and building a larger playerbase for the future..

You game of connect the dots seems to be missing A LOT of dots..

Fair point, I should have said "I think this is your blind spot"... because you seem to have one.

That said, it's not much of a 'leap'.  You obsess about your files on any thread that even tangentially mentions this topic.  You remind us how much time and emotion you put into them.  And honestly, you seem to think you are a champion for veterans, as if we handed you the reigns to give us the game you think we want.  Newsflash: there are a lot of veterans who want to get back to the game.  I played the game for 8 years too.  I have plenty of 50's I spent hundreds if not thousands of hours on.  You don't speak for me, or the majority of us.  You're not special in that regard.  Multiple veterans have come forward to say they would miss their characters, but getting back into the game is more important to them.

As I understand them, Sentinel files were set up by the Titan Network to help save toons for one-way uses into Demorecords and ParagonWiki, not as a revolving door between gaming platforms.  I don't recall a mention that they could ever be used to bring toons back into the game.  But some people won't let go of that idea.

My biggest problem with the Sentinel files is they are computer files autonomous from the master servers and computers.  They are not secure.  Several people have posted that they could be manipulated or modified, or reused to generate multiple duplicate IOs and influence assuming they could translate back.  The files could be sold to other people.  They can be corrupted.  I'm not an expert on malware so maybe someone could answer if they could be infected?  We only have one mirror of i23, not the master code.  If one file were to damage the i23 image, how much damage could that do?  Would we have to get new servers?  Would we all have to start over again from scratch with a backup i23?  Is a single costume piece, or billions in digital currency, or a complete set of purple/PvP IO's worth all that?  Not to me.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #479 on: September 06, 2014, 05:25:41 PM »
i can see the influence sellers making a mint..

I don't know. People had like 9 issues to hoard inf before it had really value with the IO system implementation.  At the end, between the cards that had various drops, IO converters, various merits, farming for inf to sell wouldn't seem to be as lucrative, imho, especially for the age of the game.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...