Author Topic: And NC says...  (Read 75665 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: And NC says...
« Reply #140 on: October 03, 2012, 01:42:33 AM »
And it's nothing compared to some other punk moves they've tried. As yet, at least this one isn't actionable.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2012, 01:45:32 AM »
Actually that is entirely correct. 

Remember.  This is the company that thought NOTHING of forging a letter of resignation/farewell/withdrawal.  Who seemed to think that forgery was a perfectly reasonable business practice.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2012, 01:50:49 AM »
Speaking of Richard Garriott, anyone ever think to try and contact him for support?
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2012, 01:54:57 AM »
Maybe we should mention the whole forgred letter and lawsuit thing in passing a bit more? Just to help bring up the kind of company we're dealing with.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2012, 01:56:57 AM »
What, you mean like tweeting, "Hey, did you hear about NCSoft forging Lord British' resignation letter? #MMOKiller"

That wouldn't be classy...   ;D
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #145 on: October 03, 2012, 01:59:28 AM »
Speaking of Richard Garriott, anyone ever think to try and contact him for support?

I have a couple of better-than-acquaintance-not-quite-good-friends of Garriott trying to get some time to talk to him about this.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #146 on: October 03, 2012, 02:00:31 AM »
I have a couple of better-than-acquaintance-not-quite-good-friends of Garriott trying to get some time to talk to him about this.

Rock on, ma'am. Rock on.

/em salute
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2012, 02:03:10 AM »
Thank you, Larry and Misty, for what I'm quoting, below.  I concur with this assessment.   Here's hoping our Community prevails!!!!

Brian Clayton (PICTURE in ThorsAssassin's blog post about the dev dinner) is the studio manager of Formerly-Known-As Paragon.  I have generally heard from him on Sunday night.  I did not hear from him this Sunday, so I have nothing to tell you.

This, from my husband Larry Dixon however:

Larry Dixon: *shrug*  It's as "real" as anything else NCsoft says or does.  That'll flip if they want it to. What it *is* is an admission that they've noticed enough to respond to it "on company letterhead." Its face value is meaningless.

The REAL takeaway from this is "Hey this is starting to hurt, stop it guys!"  If the revival efforts meant nothing, NCsoft would not post what amounts to "Elvis has left the building."  And that is all that is. They want the negative attention to stop. That is an official attempt at deflection.  Or, in political terms, an "Un-Answer."

It appears to be a response but actually accomplishes nothing except silence those who weren't very into it.  Like I say, what it says is irrelevant; the thing to take notice of is that it was put there at all.  And that means time to step it up because the other fighter just staggered.

If the "Save CoH/We love Paragon" etc. efforts were ineffective, we'd never have seen such a statement. The hidden meaning of that note is that it has dawned on somebody that this is developing into "anti-NCsoft," not "Save-CoH," so they issued a mollifying statement with a lot of buttonpushing feel-warm cozy buttons about how special what they just murdered was to them.

Now they reap the mistrust they sowed, they can see the coverage increase, the caution against them and the players taking their money away in droves, and we can look them steely in the eyes and reply "Too bad.  It's just business.  Isn't it."

The "exhausted all options" is bizspeak for "We didn't get what we wanted, so we stopped bothering to find solutions."  Businesspeople who truly WANT a result  ALWAYS find a way, they never "exhaust all options." So right there is an admission from NCsoft that they're very bad businesspeople.  Most certainly unimaginative and inflexible.

Shortest form: As a strategist, the hits are being felt by NCsoft, and they've barely begun.

Second message: This is the murderer issuing an official statement that they "really tried hard" not kill what they had a choice about murdering, and hoping that "Oh they loved it like I did, they're really sorry!" should be your takeaway from that and that should make EVERYTHING just fine, right?

I don't take "We loved it too!" as anything but an insult to our intelligence.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Mr. Wentworth

• Lieutenant
  • "I aim to misbehave..."
    • Real World Hero
« Reply #148 on: October 03, 2012, 02:04:22 AM »

I don't take "We loved it too!" as anything but an insult to our intelligence.

I love Larry! Please let him know. :D I was feeling the same way about this latest NCsoft statement and he expressed it very well. We should all look at this in just such a way. Don't grow despondent and think it is over. They are admitting that our punches hurt! Keep them on the ropes!

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #149 on: October 03, 2012, 02:06:03 AM »
By the way, the #MMOKiller tag should really be #GameKiller - it carries more weight with non-gamers who mightn't know what MMO meant.
Game = fun/entertainemnt, so adding "Killer" to that makes for a much clearer message - NCSoft kills fun.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:40:30 AM by Golden Girl »
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #150 on: October 03, 2012, 02:14:14 AM »
By the way, the #MMOKiller tag should really be #GameKiller - it carries more weight with non-gamers who mightn't know what MMO meant.
Game = fun/entertainemnt, so adding "Killer" to that makes for a much clearer message - NCSoft kills fun.
A valid point - especially as I've seen the actual phrase "MMO Killer" used in the past to refer to a (usually overhyped) game as being a potential Warcraft killer

However, I suspect it may be too late to try and cram that particular meme genie back in its bottle. Wouldn't hurt to have both though, even running them parallel for both the MMO audience and those outside.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #151 on: October 03, 2012, 02:16:19 AM »
By the way, the #MMOKiller tag should really be #GameKiller - it carries mroe weirght with non-gamers who mightn't know what MMO meant.

Well put, let's see if we can get the dog to hunt.

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #152 on: October 03, 2012, 02:21:11 AM »
Whoops, I've already been using #MMOkiller but I've made sure the context was correct in my Tweets. I'll switch to #GameKiller if that's the general consensus.
Luna Eclypse

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #153 on: October 03, 2012, 02:28:03 AM »
By the way, the #MMOKiller tag should really be #GameKiller - it carries more weirght with non-gamers who mightn't know what MMO meant.
Game = fun/entertainment, so adding "Killer" to that makes for a much clearer message - NCSoft kills fun.
Nice. I'm willing to give it a shot.  I've been staying away from Twitter, because I normally stay away from Twitter. I'm looking at changing that.

CrimsonCapacitor

• Captain of the Hard Ship
  • Boss
« Reply #154 on: October 03, 2012, 02:33:14 AM »
By the way, the #MMOKiller tag should really be #GameKiller - it carries more weirght with non-gamers who mightn't know what MMO meant.

I believe this is my first post.  Yeah, delurking, yadda.

Removing the ammo then, so no one gets any ideas.   ;)
Beware the mighty faceplant!

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #155 on: October 03, 2012, 02:36:10 AM »
I advice #GameKiller, but not #Anti-NCSoft. The second one makes us look kinda like whining kids throwing hate directly at a group, because the tag calls them out -by- -name-. #GameKiller is a little less direct. Less aggressive.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #156 on: October 03, 2012, 02:40:12 AM »
I advice #GameKiller, but not #Anti-NCSoft. The second one makes us look kinda like whining kids throwing hate directly at a group, because the tag calls them out -by- -name-. #GameKiller is a little less direct. Less aggressive.

I can mud sling with the best of them but even I wouldn't use #Anti-NCSoft.  Kill'em with facts, bring up the Garriott lawsuit, reiterate all the MMO's they've killed, remind the GW2 people who their developer's publisher is and what BS they've pulled in the past.
Luna Eclypse

Viridian Surge

• Underling
« Reply #157 on: October 03, 2012, 02:41:29 AM »
When they use the the word exhausted in their response, my first thought is too bad we can't send them some Enriche energy drink.  So that they will feel refreshed and get back to the negotiating table  8)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #158 on: October 03, 2012, 02:46:36 AM »
No one is saying we create an anti-NCSoft hashtag. Now, if we mention NCSoft in a Tweet using a hashtag that suggests that they are less than nurturing to their stable of games...

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #159 on: October 03, 2012, 02:52:05 AM »
I think we can all conclude that this is the official NCSoft spokes-creature.