Author Topic: News?  (Read 241760 times)

Knightward

• Minion
Re: News?
« Reply #420 on: September 27, 2012, 08:19:06 PM »
In the meantime, we're going to be holding some more events and I have a Call to Action coming up (*ahem* you New Yorkers out there, get ready!).  These aren't just bread and circuses, they are really having a positive effect on our own morale, generating publicity, and winning over people we really need to our cause.
Well, I wasn't planning on going, but perhaps I should...

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #421 on: September 27, 2012, 08:27:22 PM »
* DrakeGrimm walks into the thread and sets down a portable stereo, cranking the volume up.

* DrakeGrimm punches play and walks out as OminousVoice's cut of "Rise of the Heroes" plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hKPWrX85U8
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #422 on: September 28, 2012, 12:20:41 AM »
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #423 on: September 28, 2012, 12:23:39 AM »
...we all know the feeling, VV. We do. Here. I hope this helps.

* DrakeGrimm hugs VV.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #424 on: September 28, 2012, 12:29:05 AM »

I realized myself after another fit of uncontrollable sobbing (what, did you think I was immune?  happens at least twice a night) that the reason I am heartbroken by this is that I have never, ever had a creation taken from me.  In even the worst deals, eventually the book has gone out of print, the rights revert, and I can take it back again.  I can make it live again in e-book format.  I can write sequels.  Even when I kill characters, they can come back.  That won't happen when CoH goes dark, and it's been emotionally devastating.

This I think characterizes a bit the worst part of the Publisher/Developer or Publisher/Author relationship is the fact that IP can be bought and sold away from the creator.. at all.

The crux of our current problem is summed up entirely there, that we the fans, and Paragon Studios have our collective works taken from us, not because of lack of money brought in by the fans, not because of lack of interest in the IP by customers, not because of lack of dedicated hands to do the work to write for the IP or lack of dedicated hands to do the work of building the virtual house the IP resides in, but because the Publisher doesn't want it to happen.

I think it's one of the major reasons holding back storytelling in a medium such as video games or television shows and helps to keep video games from being a true art form, is this. I'm going to dub it the Firefly effect until a better name is chosen.

These words really hit hard to me, as somebody who is an amateur co-author of sorts of my own personal use game settings. I've had it suggested from friends before that I should try to publish my works, but I never will, because I'd prefer poverty from the possibility that Amazon.com or EA or Wizards of the Coast or somebody could take my work and just sort of bury it or completely redefine it without my consent. That and I don't frankly think that what I've written is really all that great or all that original.

It might sound selfish or weird, but it's sort of great, to me, to hear that you've never had a book, as a known and published author, that was completely taken out of your hands forever. I know that's probably in no way on topic and probably doesn't really help you feel any better about the current topic, so I'll leave what I've said at that.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #425 on: September 28, 2012, 12:40:55 AM »
Quote from: Victoria Victrix
I realized myself after another fit of uncontrollable sobbing (what, did you think I was immune?  happens at least twice a night) that the reason I am heartbroken by this is that I have never, ever had a creation taken from me.  In even the worst deals, eventually the book has gone out of print, the rights revert, and I can take it back again.  I can make it live again in e-book format.  I can write sequels.  Even when I kill characters, they can come back.  That won't happen when CoH goes dark, and it's been emotionally devastating.

Well that's not entirely true. You can still write about your CoH characters if you want, even if you can't sell them (though technically you can, it's just that if NC wanted, they could do spinoffs and not pay you any royalties).

And possibly tabletop RP in the near future. Someone's working on that, but I can't remember where I read it.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #426 on: September 28, 2012, 12:48:57 AM »
Well that's not entirely true. You can still write about your CoH characters if you want, even if you can't sell them (though technically you can, it's just that if NC wanted, they could do spinoffs and not pay you any royalties).

And possibly tabletop RP in the near future. Someone's working on that, but I can't remember where I read it.

As to the first....it's not remotely the same as the immersive experience of the game; merely writing about them is viscerally different.  It's also not remotely the same as the cooperative RP, where what someone else does can completely change the gameplan for my characters.  There are no great surprises and there is nothing unexpected about what happens when I write for them alone.  On the contrary, it is all completely thought out and planned in advance once I start on the actual prose.

As to the second....Tim, I live in rural Oklahoma.  We have been trying and failing to get a tabletop group together for the last 10+ years.

Enough, I don't want to start a pity-party for myself here, just trying to articulate what I think a lot of other people are feeling, but are unable to explain why they feel it.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #427 on: September 28, 2012, 12:52:55 AM »
Well, if you ever move to Seattle, I promise to include you in my gaming group. :)

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #428 on: September 28, 2012, 12:54:42 AM »
Maybe we should try doing one over Skype someday? Or Google's video conference program... whatever its name is.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #429 on: September 28, 2012, 12:56:46 AM »
Maybe we should try doing one over Skype someday?

I can suggest OpenRPG for a good virtual tabletop.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #430 on: September 28, 2012, 12:57:00 AM »
Well, if you ever move to Seattle, I promise to include you in my gaming group. :)

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
Suuuuuuure.  I live in the same complex as you and never get an invite..... 8)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #431 on: September 28, 2012, 12:58:15 AM »
Maybe we should try doing one over Skype someday? Or Google's video conference program... whatever its name is.

+1 for awesome idea.

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #432 on: September 28, 2012, 01:02:36 AM »
I can suggest OpenRPG for a good virtual tabletop.

Roll20.

Browser-based, so no silly faffing about setting up the server and connecting to it, drag-drop mapping, character tokens, on-screen dynamic dice (optional), and integrated voice and video chat, as well as text chat.

It's my current go-to virtual tabletop for one of my weekly pen and paper games that one player can't physically attend.

Oh, and the functionality I mentioned there is free, no download (maybe a standard browser plugin), no install required. Just go to roll20.net and sign up.
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

zybron

• Boss
« Reply #433 on: September 28, 2012, 01:09:36 AM »

Back Blast

• Minion
« Reply #434 on: September 28, 2012, 01:14:31 AM »
As to the first....it's not remotely the same as the immersive experience of the game; merely writing about them is viscerally different.  It's also not remotely the same as the cooperative RP, where what someone else does can completely change the gameplan for my characters.  There are no great surprises and there is nothing unexpected about what happens when I write for them alone.  On the contrary, it is all completely thought out and planned in advance once I start on the actual prose.

As to the second....Tim, I live in rural Oklahoma.  We have been trying and failing to get a tabletop group together for the last 10+ years.

Enough, I don't want to start a pity-party for myself here, just trying to articulate what I think a lot of other people are feeling, but are unable to explain why they feel it.

Well if you're up for a weekly drive to the DFW area...  :D

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #435 on: September 28, 2012, 01:16:53 AM »
A bit off-topic, which by admin standards, is actually on-topic  8)

20000 signatures.

Sol Eternal

• Underling
Re: News? - This was an article on http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-840174
« Reply #436 on: September 28, 2012, 01:18:25 AM »
Triumph Server
Hero of the City
Chief of Supergroup - Guardians of Eternal Justice

Knightward

• Minion
« Reply #437 on: September 28, 2012, 01:33:25 AM »
It's already been said, but Skype.  My gaming group is in North Jersey, New York City... and one player in the middle of Virginia.  Heck, it's useful when a nasty storm gets in the way of a scheduled gaming night.  The instant messaging in it is very useful for passing notes to the GM too.

Now, scheduling a game that everyone can make or making sure the GM isn't running out of story ideas... that's something else entirely.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #438 on: September 28, 2012, 02:34:52 AM »
How would that work on not-exactly-broadband?   :'(

I live in very rural Oklahoma, on a wireless-tower connection which allows me to run City, but with noticeable lag, and sometimes unplayable lag.  :gonk:  There is no prospect of increasing our bandwidth and there is no other option.  We tried the Google Hangout the other day and the only way I could run it without disconnects was to turn all the cameras and video off.   :'(

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #439 on: September 28, 2012, 03:28:20 AM »
How would that work on not-exactly-broadband?   :'(

I live in very rural Oklahoma, on a wireless-tower connection which allows me to run City, but with noticeable lag, and sometimes unplayable lag.  :gonk:  There is no prospect of increasing our bandwidth and there is no other option.  We tried the Google Hangout the other day and the only way I could run it without disconnects was to turn all the cameras and video off.   :'(

There's always the option of an IRC game - I have a husband who's just dying to run Pathfinder with dedicated people, and I know an IRC server set up for gaming...

And you can use Hangout without a camera - if it gets voice through, then it's good enough.
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.