Author Topic: Holy sh*t moment  (Read 33502 times)

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
Re: Holy sh*t moment
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2015, 10:24:57 PM »
One such moment for me was when I first played through the Montague Castanella story arc. My martial arts/super reflexes scrapper, Red Dragon had delved into a spooky, creepy underground lair of the Circle of Thorns during the Rescue Percy Winkley mission. While battling minions on stalagmites in a grotto, I encountered for the first time a Spectral Daemon.

It descended from the upper regions of the cavern, flying right up to my face, and opened its ghostly maw in a blood-curdling screech.

I was actually frightened and jumped backward in my computer desk chair.

katycat737

• Underling
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2015, 10:40:46 PM »
I am a HUGE fan of the Mu Mystics of Arachnos.

I was in a group and behold, a Mu Vestments had dropped from a mob. I didn't know about salvages at all, but and I had assumed that taking this Mu vestment to the tailor would give me the cool clothes.

Imagine my despair when I realized you couldn't wear it and that it's only use was for inventions. That was when I learned of IO's though... But to wear one of those Mu clothes... I would have given everything.

Corona89

• Minion
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2015, 11:52:37 PM »
I am a HUGE fan of the Mu Mystics of Arachnos.

I was in a group and behold, a Mu Vestments had dropped from a mob. I didn't know about salvages at all, but and I had assumed that taking this Mu vestment to the tailor would give me the cool clothes.

Imagine my despair when I realized you couldn't wear it and that it's only use was for inventions. That was when I learned of IO's though... But to wear one of those Mu clothes... I would have given everything.

Now that I think about it, the character creator could handle most of the parts.  You wouldn't be able to do the floating mummy thing but the textures could be used for a costume set.  Either that or add a Model Replacement Costume Power instead.  I remember a lot of people exclaiming about how cool the Mu Mystics were.  I'm sure they'd have appreciated something along those lines.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2016, 09:45:38 PM »
I remember it well. I was on a Khan TF and we were in the final map, fighting our way to Reichsman through mob after mob of Warwolves and Vampyri. When, for the first time ever in PURPLE...

History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2016, 04:49:45 AM »
Heh.

My memory is deserting me ... but I was doing the Midnight Club missions (for the first time) where you defeat the Freakshow who are using an evil magic compact disc to unleash chaos on Talos Island. I had just finished the mission and the text said, "You emerge from the building to find the world has been restored to normal."

Suddenly the skies went dark ... and my very first zombie apocalypse started.

At first I thought I was in another instance and this was another part of the arc... was kind of disappointed to find out it wasn't. :D

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2016, 10:06:04 AM »
I remember it well. I was on a Khan TF and we were in the final map, fighting our way to Reichsman through mob after mob of Warwolves and Vampyri. When, for the first time ever in PURPLE...

It was so funny the first time this happened to my wife. She stuttered and stammered for a few moments, "What, I just, did I just? whu...?" Then she checked her inventory and saw what she got. She babbled for a few more moments then looked over at me and said, "I don't need this, what should I do with it?" I was the wrong person to ask since I tended to give a lot of mine away.

She always has better luck with the RNG in most games than I do except generally in CoH.

Ashen Fury

• Boss
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2016, 08:52:41 AM »
First one had to be finally getting Invincible on my MA/invul scrapper and going from somewhat squishy to pulling 80 perps and mowing them all down without getting hit.
Permanently Scrapperlocked.

Love CoH music? Want EVERY SINGLE FILE?
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7192.0.html

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2016, 03:09:04 PM »
The biggest one for me was when it was announced plans were moving forward to get I23 back up and running.

Of course, that's been tempered somewhat in the 14 years since the announcement... (or maybe it just seems that long)

aXe

• Underling
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2016, 02:49:29 PM »
Seeing the ghost ship for the first time. Me and one other hero just standing there in awe, gradually turning and watching it sail off into the distance. Then there's seeing Lusca for the first time. Thinking all I'd be doing is fighting street thugs.

However the best one had to be when playing as a female character. I had someone following me, telling me how sexy I was etc. Really creepy stuff. When I told him I was a man he turned and legged it in the opposite direction! You had to be there but it was hilarious to watch him realise, turn and run! 'What's the matter!? I'm not sexy anymore!?'  ;D

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2016, 03:44:23 PM »
Seeing the ghost ship for the first time. Me and one other hero just standing there in awe, gradually turning and watching it sail off into the distance. Then there's seeing Lusca for the first time. Thinking all I'd be doing is fighting street thugs.

However the best one had to be when playing as a female character. I had someone following me, telling me how sexy I was etc. Really creepy stuff. When I told him I was a man he turned and legged it in the opposite direction! You had to be there but it was hilarious to watch him realise, turn and run! 'What's the matter!? I'm not sexy anymore!?'  ;D

You were also a cartoon, and not a real person.   :o

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2016, 06:01:29 PM »
You were also a cartoon, and not a real person.   :o

Weren't there a couple of supergroups named something like G.I.R.L (Guy In Real Life) ? I think there was one on Champion server.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 06:48:13 PM by chuckv3 »

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2016, 06:42:16 PM »
For me..it was when I learned that the list of enhancements that a power could take were just that - a list of what could fit - not a requirement. I was not a forum reader at that time, had never played with a min-maxer before and really had no idea of optimum slotting strategies.

There was a respec tf in Terra Volta - and after, the other blaster asked me how I had my blasts slotted, because he noticed I never ran out of endurance. I told him, and he was about speechless - then explained to me how his was slotted. We did a demo against a freak - he about one-shotted a minion, and it took me 5 shots. Same powers, just different enhancements.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2016, 01:24:21 AM »
The whole min/maxing thing suddently occurred to me about a year ago.
I always slotted all my primaries to 5 or 6, and the secondaries to 4 or 5.
Yeah, I guess I'm a slow on the up-take.
I was thinking of using Mids to plan out cool builds, but I suspect that that we make me miss the game more.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
The whole min/maxing thing suddently occurred to me about a year ago.
I always slotted all my primaries to 5 or 6, and the secondaries to 4 or 5.
Yeah, I guess I'm a slow on the up-take.
I was thinking of using Mids to plan out cool builds, but I suspect that that we make me miss the game more.

Quite similar - I had several 50's and and started making builds in mids - but had never actually slotted an io set, until my invuln / ss - WOW!!

What a difference having some endurance made to that character, and everyone I made after him - how io's were claimed to be balanced (or the game balanced against so's?), I'll never know...

Levelling suddenly wasn't painful, jeez at times I wanted to slow down so I could run the arcs I had been used to struggling through solo for so many years lmao!!

Hell, I even teamed for fun rather than it being the easy option to skip a few levels...

And all that with some of the cheapest io sets you could get, literally I would buy the cheapest sets I could afford - but it didn't matter - the difference was like night and day.

Edit. Also - Macro's!!

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2016, 11:19:38 PM »
Running ITF with my so far pretty much unstoppable WP/DB Tanker... and getting one-shotted by Romi :o

My first winter-event, just zipping around on a speedster and opening presents. And suddenly getting stomped by one MASSIVE snowman.

Getting my first extra costume slot in Croatoa... on a lvl 10 toon (Defender I think). "Hey, that's a funny looking treeAARGH!"
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2016, 06:09:57 PM »
I remember getting my first purple IO.

I didn't get one for so long I thought people were just making it up, LOL.

Then another HS moment was when it was one I didn't need and sold it in WW for like 350 Million.

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2016, 04:44:54 AM »
The first time I realized just how powerful PBU + Vengence + Fallout was, it was then that I realized that Rad Defenders Toggles weren't really needed on Trash Mobs..if anything went wrong I could just blow them all up with 3 buttons!

huang3721

• Minion
  • Hi there!
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2016, 03:43:44 PM »
My holy sh*t moment happened when my blaster was still lv.5. I saw Rikti Invasion zone warning and I did nothing. I was just standing there and scratching my head in confusion instead of running away. (I'm a combatant, so I shouldn't take cover. Right?) Soon strange looking characters were patrolling the zone I was in. I walked to the nearest alien grunt and opened fire.  I didn't end well. :(

The other moment was the time I shot a Circle of Thorn's ghost. They are as scary as hell, but they are not bulletproof! ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 03:54:02 PM by huang3721 »
Has it been three years already? Oh wait.. four, no no, five?

Eldershinjo

• Minion
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2016, 05:32:39 PM »
Oh hell... I had so many of those playing CoH over the years. Where to even start? The three I remember the best at the moment...

First time the Kronos Titan spawned. Had no idea he was coming. "Thats the biggest Malta Titan I have ever seen! Wait, is he coming at me?! Aack!"

During a Developer-run Nemesis invasion of Atlas Park... I was on my Shield/Super Strength Tank and had her build finalized and decked out in IO's and such. Then suddenly, Nemesis enemies just started showing up... Naturally, I jump into the frey and start Shield Bashing and Ground Stomping my way through them with glee before I suddenly realized that I was pulling a /lot/ of aggro... even for a tank! Apparently, (or, I'm guessing, really) a Dev was watching and was so impressed with how I was doing that they started spawning Nemesis Warhulks right on top of me! o_o;
I wish I could remember how I managed to survive that fight, but I did. Even had a couple of nearby players who saw what happened go 'Hot damn!'

Another time, on that same tank, I was in a mission against a lot of Pretorian Carnies (Carnival of War, faction, I think?) Apparently, they are able to confuse you... They hit me with that and, before I realized it, I had hit a nearby teammate with a super powered Uppercut! They went from nearly full HP to almost dead!
Them: "OWW! WTH?!"
Me: "Oh S#@$! Sorry!"
Always remember... The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing...

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2016, 09:33:12 PM »
devs could've been mean and dropped a bunch of the nemesis lieuts who have vengeance on you :P