Author Topic: The very first hero you ever made in the game?  (Read 18834 times)

JetFlash

• Boss
Re: The very first hero you ever made in the game?
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2013, 05:40:27 PM »
My first was Jet Flash, an Energy Blast / Energy Manipulation Blaster.  He was essentially an homage to Iron Man, created many years before as a character for a Marvel Super Heroes RPG PnP game my big brother was running.  That character's name was actually Skyranger, but when the time came to give him a name in CoH, I received the dreaded "Name not available" error message.  Trying various spelling also resulted in a "sorry please try again", so I had to come up with something new.

At that very instant the radio was playing the song "Rocket" by Def Leppard.  One line in the song's lyrics is "Jack Flash, Rocket Man", referring to songs performed by the Rolling Stones and Elton John.  Well, at the time I had not actually seen the lyrics, and my brain misheard it as "Jet Flash, rocket man".  And that, is the rest of the story.

æhæd

• Underling
  • Oh! Really?
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2013, 03:42:39 PM »
Airhead began as available name 'Aehaed' on Infinity during Issue 11. I came across a City of Heroes fan site in 2004 and the game looked perfect, but I did not try any online games for another 3 years. My Mind Control/Forcefields Controller got to 50+3 perfectly slowly. His powers never quite matched what I had in mind, but imagination completely filled in the gaps. Other heroes and villains modelled on Airhead's backstory came much later, along with game-inspired toons like Bang Galore (mace wielding hottie tank) and Turnturtle (Soldier of Arachnos in a turtle-themed hero group).

Airhead was still mopping up Rikti in the vast puddlecave at the end of "Save the World" when the lights went out. I took down Hro'Dtohz and Hero One with friends made in-game and met again in my home town. That final demorecord is my favorite replay.

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2013, 01:32:15 PM »
From her VirtueVerse article:

"[Miss Megajoule] was originally based on an unplayed character I made for the Champions tabletop RPG back in the early 90s. While that hero's powers fit almost perfectly into those of an FF/Energy defender, it became clear during character generation that "Moonfire" could not be imported into CoH exactly as she was. This was ultimately for the best, as it allowed MJ to grow into her own person, one firmly rooted in this universe."

I've been tempted, now and then, to pop for the "Impulse" AT in CO and bring her full circle (as it were), but... eh.  For one thing, it wouldn't be her, any more than she ended up being that tabletop character.

There's a slight chance that I might have actually made some version of V-Max, my MA/SR scrapper, first - this would have been on a friend's account, when I wasn't even sure my computer would run the game.  (It did, but it was a near thing and required updating the video drivers, which I hadn't done in some time.)  But in every sense that matters, Julie came first.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 03:50:56 PM by Megajoule »

Allotrion

• Underling
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2013, 01:42:30 PM »
My first was a fire/fire blaster that a friend let me create on his account.  "Hey, there's this new superhero MMO, come try it".  His costume was right off the cheese block.  Bright orange and neon yellows, spiky hair I think, and a cigar coming out of his mouth. 

I ended up buying it a couple days later and my REAL first character, which became my first 50 about 3-4 yrs later, was a Fire/Energy blaster with a hideous Luchador costume.  I was going for the "regular dude is granted mysterious superpowers, puts on a ski mask and flak jacket and twilights as a hero look".  My RL friends still make fun of my costume to this day.   :D

I wish I could find my old screenshots but I think they got fried along with my old HDD.   :gonk:

Ellscry

• Minion
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2013, 02:15:14 PM »
My very first hero I made to play with a roommate who got me into the game. Her name was Celestine Phoenix, a Fire/Fire tank, and I never got her above level 15. I will always remember hovering across Perez Park from Galaxy City because I couldn't find the train to Atlas. I stopped playing her when I got into a themed SG and made a toon named Firestorm Dragon on Pinnacle. He and 5 other of my dragons I got to 50.

My very first Villain was Reckless Abandon. A Super strength/Willpower brute. I think it took me about a 2 weeks to get him to 50 because I could NOT stop playing him. The fury mechanic with him rushing from one mob to the next and just going to town... I still miss it. Then came IOs and he became even more dangerous. And then came incarnates. Never has any character ever made me feel more like a hero. I changed his name when I transferred servers to infinity, and he spent the rest of his days as my main: Ellscry. I will always cherish that last day when I solo'd a few of the hardest task forces, all on voice chat with my long time friends. Never felt more like a cannon hero. (cause he was always a hero, but the alignment system finally let him get to his appropriate side  :P)

Consultant

• Underling
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2013, 02:02:00 AM »
My first character was Consultant1, a willpower/fiery melee scrapper.  My son advised me to take willpower, and I chose fire -- and never regretted it.  I loved that character, and played him continuously until the Justice server shut down.  I needed about 5 months to get him to 50 because mostly I soloed the journey -- I was so terrible as a noob that I hated to burden a team.  I can't count how many times Consultant1 was beaten to death in a tunnel because I could not get him turned around....darn tunnels!

I ended up with nearly full slots on Justice for two accounts, plus a dozen on Freedom and Virtue, both sides.  All incarnate 50's.  COH was a great game.  If it somehow came back, I would re-create many of my toons, as closely as possible, and work them back up the levels (slowly, just for fun).

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2013, 01:26:11 PM »
Pretty sure it was a character called Dark Harvest, a dark/dark defender, which I played for about half an hour then switched over to Infinity to create a new character with friends.

I just noticed there were a group of 5 guys with the same costume dancing in the water in the 2nd picture.

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2013, 03:05:22 PM »
The first ever was a Bots and Traps Mastermind, Mr Playskool. I started in 2007 and purchased the Good vs Evil edition. I got him to level 9. He helped me decide that pets were not my style.

Then I gave up on him and rolled Brou.
Spess

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2013, 03:53:37 PM »
my 1st was PhoenixGirl a fire/fire blaster
miss playing as her :(
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Jonfan

• Minion
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2013, 04:38:07 PM »
I was lucky enough to be in beta and my very 1st character was a Fire/Stone tank and his name was Volcano. I re-created him during the 3-day pre-launch headstart given to beta players, and I still played him right up until Nov. 30th.  I miss him.

GoliathBirdEater

• Underling
  • Far Beyond Metal
    • Muh Twitters
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2013, 08:25:51 PM »
Mine was Darkwave, a Dark/Dark Defender I rolled during the original CoH beta. I got him to somewhere around level 20 before I rolled an Ice/Axe Tanker, fell in love with the AT, and used that character for the remainder of the beta.

Edit: And hi, I suppose!

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2013, 08:47:19 PM »
huzzah fellow ice/axe tanker!
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Hellgeist

• Underling
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2013, 09:37:36 PM »
Way back in 2004... my first character was an Illusion/Empathy controller who I named Hellgeist. I thought about what I would want to be if I had powers, and that was it. He was my main all the way to the end, though I had remade him in slightly different ways over the years, as new powersets and costume items were added to the game.
I had alts, to be sure, but even those who took over 'main' position eventually morphed into something like Hellgeist.
When I first saw CoH I just wanted to fly. Seriously, a game that lets you be a superhero and FLY? I'm all over that!! This is why I play Champions even though I liked CoH better - there really isn't another game left in the genre that is this good, IMO.

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2013, 02:58:23 AM »
Back in the Summer of 2004 I purchased CoH at the local GameStop. I had never ventured into MMO land but all my co-workers were playing. I was hooked from the start. Actually, the only reason I initially played was that there was this really hot girl at work who was playing and I figured that by playing the game and teaming up with her we would sort of be hanging out together after work (even if it was only on the computer).

My first character was an Electrical/Electricity Blaster. Trying to be comical, I named him Sir Cumcision and he fought the good fight on the Infinity server. Needless to say, that name was nerfed by CoH after about 2 weeks of playing. I was given the name GenericHero05 which I actually decided to keep for the duration.

By the way, it worked. I married that hot girl in 2006.

Before the shutdown, our kids had heroes in the game.

We all terribly miss CoH.
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2013, 06:47:11 AM »
The very first hero I every made in the game was a martial arts/super reflexes scrapper. His costume sucked as shown in the image below.

I wanted to name him Red Dragon but (you guessed it) found that the name was already taken. So, I settled for an unsatisfactory alternate spelling. (Later, I bought a character rename token and secured a better name with correct spelling.)

I had created the character years before in a Champions pencil-and-paper roleplaying campaign. I liked Bruce Lee movies and participated in Jiu-Jitsu, Karate, and Tae Kwon Do classes, so a martial arts superhero was an appealing role for me to play. Back then, I drew pictures of our group's Champions characters (and I even dressed as Red Dragon for a Halloween party). But, trying to recreate my drawn costume in the City of Heroes costume creator was limiting. In particular, the mask in my drawings was a variation on the mask worn by Iron Fist in Marvel Comics, and I couldn't duplicate it in CoH.

Later, I redesigned his costume, which made better use of CoH's costume options; but, I still wasn't happy with his mask. (I showed the new costume design to a friend from the old Champions gaming group, and his only comment was, "It's red." Funny guy.) When Champions Online came out, finally RD got a proper dragon mask.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 08:42:58 AM by Todogut »

Candie Firestar

• Underling
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2013, 10:37:12 PM »
My very first toon was a Empathy/Psi Defender named Psi Kat.  I was such a noob and tried to solo play her and failed miserably.  I think I got to level 25 before I "retired" her.

The next one I made was my uber-awesome Claws/Regen Scrapper BattleGirl Yoko.  This was in the heady days before Regen got nerfed.  Instant Healing was the power of powers back then and make you practically unkillable.  I got her to Level 50.  When they nerfed Regen, I didn't play her anymore.

Hellgeist

• Underling
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2013, 01:52:42 AM »
Later, I redesigned his costume, which made better use of CoH's costume options; but, I still wasn't happy with his mask. (I showed the new costume design to a friend from the old Champions gaming group, and his only comment was, "It's red." Funny guy.) When Champions Online came out, finally RD got a proper dragon mask.

Nice costume on the CO version! That is one thing I really like about Champions - costume customization is way ahead of CoH, and the characters actually look like they are from comic books. CoH characters always looked to me like something between an inflatable dummy and a department store mannequin.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2013, 01:54:26 AM »
Nice costume on the CO version! That is one thing I really like about Champions - costume customization is way ahead of CoH, and the characters actually look like they are from comic books. CoH characters always looked to me like something between an inflatable dummy and a department store mannequin.
And on the other hand, CO characters look like they're made from clear-coated plasticine or PlayDoh
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2013, 02:07:46 AM »
And on the other hand, CO characters look like they're made from clear-coated plasticine or PlayDoh
And they all have the same face... oneofusoneofusoneofus :-[
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Alpha Series

• Lieutenant
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2013, 03:04:57 AM »
Ahh, Rad Defender named Alpha Blue. Miss playing that toon...Miss playing all of them. Loved being a Defender...Later caught Blaster Bug, just loved blasters, all sorts of them.
"You've started an interstellar war!" "No, I didn't start it. But I'm liable to finish it."