Author Topic: The very first hero you ever made in the game?  (Read 18743 times)

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
Re: The very first hero you ever made in the game?
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
My first was Pakfront, an AR/EM/Mun Blaster; that's her in my icon. Her costume designs evolved as more 'tech' armor pieces were added to the game, culminating in one that was mostly the Mecha set. As soon as power customization was available, I switched from the 'dial-a-gun' to the long-barrel sniper rifle, and from there to the Vanguard Redding Rifle as soon as I unlocked it, and have stuck with that since then.

Over the years, I worked on tricking out the character as an attempt to prove Statesman's claim that 'Range is a Blaster's defense', and with Boost Range and the various range bonuses from IO sets, I wound up with an entertaining playstyle; Full Auto had a range comparable to an out-of-the-box snipe and Flamethrower was close. It made leveling interesting in Peregrine Island, back when you would routinely see ten- or twelve-mob spawns of Nemesis -- she could run up to the spawn with Stealth on, hit Boost Range, Build Up, uncork Full Auto, then Flamethrower to crisp up the survivors... and then Rest to recover the roughly half her HP she'd lose from return fire while she was standing there. Playing Snipe Warrior was entertaining, too; with Boost Range, it was possible to snipe a mob and have them just stand there wondering why they were bleeding; it wasn't until the second shot that they would take off running as the server tried to find a path to get them in range of me -- or, more often, just trying to run away.

She was the character I chose to close the game out on, joining my fellow Guardianites on a Rikti mothershpi raid, not letting the pronouncement stop us from continuing to fight as if the game was going to continue forever; she was standing in the center of the bowl spraying fire at the rim when the game locked up at shutdown (too many effects going on for a genteel 'disconnected from server'). I have a screenshot that is timestamped a second after midnight, and it's hard to make out anyone under the glare of power effects.

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2013, 10:59:14 PM »
...loosely inspired by Julie Brown's "Homecoming Queen's Got A Gun" 

That is one of my favorite songs!  Too bad it's taboo nowadays.
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Aura Controller

• Minion
  • "Hey, is there room in that head for one more?"
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2013, 11:36:57 PM »
The first char I made was named "MindDrop" he was a Psy/Storm Troller. I deleted him before he made it to level 20 If I recall correctly. Don't remember my 2ed or third.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AccidentalPsychopath

Look I'm on YouTube!
Is it OK to advertise that down here? O.o
Also does anyone ever read these?

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2013, 12:08:33 AM »
Healix was my very first, and started out as a sort of joke. She was short, from the planet 'Alpha Seltzer' (healer) and wore that goofy cone hat. She became powerful and accomplished, and I am more fond of her than words can express.

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2013, 01:00:56 AM »
Made my namesake of course (Shenku, Claws/SR Scrapper in the early days of Issue 0-1ish), though Shenku's appearance evolved a lot since he was first created, but his root origin remained mostly the same...

Skip this next lengthy paragraph if you don't care about his Back-story/history! :P

He was originally a simple "Half-Dragon" when I first came up with the concept (he looks human, but has pointy ears and fangs, can transform into a "dragon-form"), though the idea eventually evolved into a wholly distinct race of its own and was partially incorporated into my first book, The Fall of Var. I had been working on ideas for the book for ages, along with toying with the concept of having Shenku appear in a short comic series, but the comic fell off the table, and the book ended up taking priority, despite being more of a prequel to "current" events in that world (Taking place approximately 20 years {N.A. 1312} before Shenku first stepped foot in Paragon City from a portal in the year N.A. 1332, or using Primal Earth's calender it was the year of 2004...)... With the comic scrapped, I'm probably going to just write it out as a normal book once I finish parts 2 and 3 of the Prequel series (The Black Dawn Wars), of which Shenku makes several appearances, only a brief appearance of which in the first book...

You can start reading again here if you skipped the above paragraph! ;)

Anyways, I went with Claws/SR because it seemed the closest to what the character was suppose to be, and I shortly after fell in love with the two sets.

Since then, I've always had a scrapper mentality to fights in any game, regardless of what I'm playing as... Which of course is much to the disdain of my friends when we're playing DCUO and I'm "blappering" with my Mental Controller instead of attacking from range with the healer... My Mental Controller is basically a Scrapper at heart with how I play her...

Novapulse

• Underling
    • Novapulse @ Virtueverse
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2013, 04:05:11 AM »
Novapulse of course was my first. Originally Eng/Eng Blaster I deleted him at LV18 because he died so often I just assumed I did something terribly wrong building him. This proved to be a small annoyance when I started badging as I lost his 1st anniversary badge in the remake.

Recreated as an Eng/Ele Blaster which had both a ranged hold and secondary powers I was happy to ignore allowing me to play a more comfortable ranged-only build. 770 hours later and I had my first 50 and I played him regularly until they powered down the servers.

Energy Aura

• Boss
  • Mids' "Data Entry Drone"
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2013, 04:09:57 AM »
Seeing a trend here...

I'm thinking when the servers come back up we should run an all Energy/Energy Blaster TF...

Cheers

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2013, 05:06:27 AM »
Way back during the headstart of CoH, I made an Ice/SS tank named Glacia.

Oskmey

• Minion
  • Listening to the roar of the Infinite
    • My DevArt Page
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2013, 11:06:25 AM »
Scrapper, Katana/Dark Armor. She was to be my favorite to play for years to come.
"I kept running, kept hoping for a change
kept moving the pieces kept shifting the blame
he said my time now runs short let's play
just keep breathing baby one more day"
--Episode 6 Many Happy Returns by Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling

ohms

• Boss
    • OV website
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2013, 12:01:16 PM »
Ohmega Man, an elec/elec blaster which I still played occasionally right until the end. I was looking forward to the I24 changes to blasters :(

http://cit.cohtitan.com/character/975

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2013, 02:33:44 PM »
Given a trial code and downloaded.

Made my main, an Arrow/Fire Blaster, Lord Apollon.

Silverblade

• Underling
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2013, 02:57:55 PM »
I was in beta and at launch.

My first character was Battlehawk a INV/EM tanker.  But I do remember it was a hectic time because I wanted to acquire lots of names so although Battlehawk was my first, there were two other characters I made right after:

HAWC - energy/energy blaster
Raveness - dark/dark defender who I rerolled as ill/rad controller.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2013, 04:25:39 PM »
You buy the CD, or download, install - log in for the first time ever -

what did you make?
While i'd followed development early on my attention had wandered before the first beta, so i didn't really look at CoH again until shortly before launch. i picked up the boxed game in May 2004.
The first character i made was a MA/SR Scrapper named Seiben (inspired by the Tuned Series androids, particularly Sechs, from the Last Order manga) on Victory server. At the server shutdown Seiben had reached level 42 and i had over two dozen level 50 alts. i probably would've hit 50 a long time ago, but i didn't play on Victory much after 2004, and the last several years i focused far more on buff/debuff ATs.
Now, if the game ever comes back up or one of the successors makes it live i will finish Seiben's journey.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2013, 04:27:22 PM »
Airhammer. NRG/NRG Blaster as a tribute to a great PnP toon with the same name.

zendarin

• Minion
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2013, 08:09:17 PM »
Way back during the headstart of CoH, I made an Ice/SS tank named Glacia.

I loved Ice/SS. Capt. Frostbite was my first to reach level 50.

CycloneCyan

• Underling
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2013, 08:36:47 PM »
The first hero I ever made was I believe and Assault Rifle/Devices Blaster named General Teknos. I didn't quite have the costume generator down at the time so every part of his costume was red and blue. I don't have any pictures of his but I remember him having ridiculous flame pants and a red/blue goatee. I think I either only got him out of Outbreak or to level 6 before deleting him.

The first hero I ever made that I stuck with was my Dark Melee/Regen Scrapper named Lythos. In his first incarnation he was named Lychos which I believe was the name of an internet hosting service, not fitting of a night elf. Lychos got to level 6 before I deleted him and rerolled as Lythos, who I played to level 50 and had until the servers shut down.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2013, 08:42:48 PM »
My first was an energy/energy blaster called Blue Supernova and he was the toon I rode out the end of CoH with, even though after discovering how much fun Scrappers were, I didn't play him much anymore.  He was mant to be a complete rip of DC's The Ray.

Lady Luck

• Minion
  • Formerly of the Victory server
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2013, 10:29:57 PM »
In Dec 2004, my first toon was an elec/fire blaster on Justice named E'lan.
It took me about a year to make her my first level 50.
Spring 2005, I started her twin sister, Re'lan on Victory which became my main server.
I found the crappy town where I'm the hero!
But then NCSoft took it away :(

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2013, 09:04:12 AM »
Seeing a trend here...

I'm thinking when the servers come back up we should run an all Energy/Energy Blaster TF...

Cheers

Funny enough, my second character ever was an energy/energy blaster. She was also my second highest leveled, and second most cared about, character of all of them. She and I have had a lot of fun over the years decorating streetlights and trees with strings of hellions.

There's just something really cool about using bursts of raw energy to knock thugs back on their keisters. I'll admit, when I was on a melee character I hated when someone would use knockback. It's hard to land a punch on someone who's being tossed around like a frisbee. But I never complained about it, because once I tried knockabck I knew exactly how useful and fun it was.

Tahliah

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2013, 12:43:51 PM »
My first toon was an Ice/Ice blaster named Tahliah.  I liked her a lot and played her all the way to 50, but I thought I could do better.  For some reason--maybe I didn't know about respecs or something?--I made another ice/ice blaster (who became my main and my badger).  I kept that first toon, though, all the way to the very end; I remember being so thrilled when I completed her first (and mine) ITF and got the Roman gear.  She stayed in that costume until the end.  Sigh.

In fact, some of my favorite early memories of COH happened on that toon.  Met some great people, had so much fun running tfs, flying around, trying to figure out where everything was and how to get there, enjoying the heck out of Frostfire mish in the Hollows . . . .  I remember getting aggravated in The Hollows when no sooner had she run all the way to some mish door -- on the other side of the map, naturally--than she'd be one-shotted by some red or purple Lost (she didn't have travel yet, and there was no way around it at that time--few teammates had tp, no "taxis" were set up, and there was no hoverboard, etc.).

Anyway, good times.