Author Topic: Unity Event: Extra Life Charity Drive and Gameathon  (Read 68599 times)

Siberian Spring

• Lieutenant
    • Live Creatively
Re: Unity Event: Extra Life Charity Drive and Gameathon
« Reply #160 on: October 05, 2012, 07:06:18 PM »
The reason I've left it blank up until now is because I didn't want to restrict us by making it look like we're only members of the Save CoH movement. When in reality anyone who has ever/does play City of Heroes, including devs are more than welcome to join us.

How about an avatar of the CoH logo or States or Posi or something?

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #161 on: October 05, 2012, 08:49:24 PM »
How about an avatar of the CoH logo or States or Posi or something?

The "Hero" symbol. Totally should use the "Hero" symbol.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #162 on: October 05, 2012, 09:11:23 PM »
Just popping in here to let anybody who isn't looking at the Media Day thread: we've settled on the 20th for it. Let me know how, if at all, you'd like me to cross-promote. I'm working on the press release for inviting the media right now, and I've got a physical venue for anybody who can make it to Rolla, Missouri to attend a gaming convention that I think will give us some floor- and table-space for setting up computers.

The main thrust of this will be virtual, though. My thought is that our media guests might be interested in hearing from people doing charity work through the game, so if anybody is interested in being available for online interviews, please pop over to this thread to chime in. If you expressly do NOT want to be approached, please also let us know so we can try to respect your wishes.

This is a big project - especially compared to anything like it I've done before - so thanks to all who are interested in helping. I'm excited! This could help us break open the awareness to the wider world.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #163 on: October 05, 2012, 11:46:51 PM »
We are at $3,165!!!!! And currently in 22nd place!!!!!!!

I am still @ $63.00 but hopeful I can reach my $200 goal. http://extra-life.org/participant/burnttoast

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #164 on: October 06, 2012, 10:25:50 PM »
We (Team CoH) are currently at $3,190.00!!!! And still in 22nd place :)

I posted this on the Official forums:

A friend and I are both participants in this and have both raised $63. My goal is $200....sloooowly getting there. Extra Life is an excellent organization as is the Children's Miracle Network.

Team CoH is currently at $3,165.00!!!

I would love to see just 1/4 of the players who were VIP donate their monthly sub to this cause... that would be an AMAZING amount and truly show how this community is truly Heroic. So that is my challenge for the community. It's easy to say you are a hero...but it's another thing to actually play the role in real life. There are thousands of children and families who are assisted daily by CMN...and this is your chance to be a hero to those families and children.

I want team CoH to be in the top 10; preferably the top 5 of this campaign, but to do that we need your help. I'm not saying you have to donate $15...heck even $5 from the thousands of players of this game would make a world of difference.

The top team in this campaign is sitting at $25,304.98. So in order to overtake them and show what an awesome community this game has...that it is full of heroes (and villains with ulterior motives  ) all we would need is for everyone to donate $5 to easily overtake the top spot...and then some 

So please... take the 5 minutes and few dollars it would take and donate to the Extra Life campaign. If we MUST go out... I want our impact to be felt throughout the world...in a positive way...being heroes and helping families in need.

We are heroes...this is what we do!

Team CoH Main Webpage: http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?...am&teamID=9445

I'm not going to "advertise" my own personal link...I would rather people just pick a random person and donate. It doesn't matter if I reach my goal or not...what truly matters is that we raise the funds to be true heroes.

Thanks

The thread is about to fall onto Page 2 where it will go into oblivion among the troll post etc. I think it important we keep this thread alive here as well as over there.

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=297722

EDIT: LOL if you type tr0ll here it gets auto changed to unicorn :)

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #165 on: October 07, 2012, 01:47:38 AM »
Team City of Heroes is now in 21st place with $3290!

Another $65 in donations would currently put us in 20th place. :)

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #166 on: October 07, 2012, 06:48:01 AM »
Has anybody considered approaching NCSoft or NCWest about donating matching funds to this event? I suggest pros and cons of both even approaching them and of the consequences of their acceptance/refusal be discussed a bit, and if it's decided the pros of approaching outweigh the cons of both approaching and the consequences of either response NCSoft gives, somebody take charge of writing the invitation and sending it to the appropriate individuals.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #167 on: October 07, 2012, 01:54:18 PM »
My husband works in development in the non-profit sector, so he's knowledgeable of "best practices" that work for fundraising efforts. I had him help me when I got going on my efforts, I figured it'd be helpful if I passed along the advice he gave me to the rest of you.

Make sure you set a profile picture. Not having one makes it seem like you couldn't be bothered. Having one makes it more personal and allows people to better relate to you -- and that means they're more likely to donate, and more likely to donate more.

Make sure you personalize the appeal message on your profile page. You don't have to write it from scratch, but it's crucial that you make it personal. Why are you participating in this campaign? Why is this important to you? Connect it to you on a personal level. The generic language is good, but putting it in your own words is much, much better.

As an aside to that point, please don't say your primary reason for doing this is to raise awareness for City of Heroes. We don't want to make it seem like we're just using this event to further our own aims. Hopefully everybody participating believes that this charity is worthwhile on its own merits, independent of the pending events in our own community. Focus on that. It might be okay to reference those events lightly, but make sure they don't seem like your primary motivation here.

Make sure you set a fundraising goal! Ideally, you should set your goal low enough that you're pretty confident you can easily reach it. Then once you reach it, set a new goal that's a bit higher. And when you reach that goal, set an even higher one. You want to keep your progress such that you always seem like you're close and within reach of your goal, but not quite there. That is apparently proven to increase donations. For an example, I started mine at $100; when I hit $104, I raised it to $150; when I hit $204, I raised it to $250; when I hit $304, I raised it to $400.

A good way to raise funds is to approach people individually. Posting to Twitter or Facebook may help bring in some donations, but directly approaching someone will be much more successful. The Extra Life website has an interface to make it easy to send out an email, but I encourage you to write your own email and send it to each potential donor one at a time. That makes it feel much more personal, and less like you just clicked a button to send them an automatic message.

Once you've received a donation, make sure you follow up with a thank you message as soon as possible. Do not wait to think people until after the event is over! People need to be thanked immediately. This improves a donor's sense that their contribution was appreciated and, even more importantly, it helps improve donor retention -- that means that if you run the event again next year, they're more likely to donate again and they're also more likely to increase their donation.

After the event is over, it's also a good practice to send out a final message thanking everybody again and letting them know the wonderful success you and our team have had. That's separate from the first thank you message, though.

A little bit of extra work goes a long way towards raising money for these kids! :)

These apply equally well to our team page!! We do have a personalized the appeal message for the team page. But we definitely need to get some sort of image on there, and we definitely should set a team goal.

Maybe use this if nothing else, though hopefully someone can suggest something better. It shouldn't be a "SaveCoH" graphic. It should just be a graphic that represents the City of Heroes game and community. This is pretty important, and it's easy to make happen! :)

A goal is also easy to set. Right now a goal of $4000 would be good. If When we hit that, then we can raise it to $5000.

In case it helps anyone, you can look at my donor page to see how I personalized it a bit: http://www.extra-life.org/participant/36685 As you can see, I didn't rewrite the whole thing. I just added some personal touches. And here's the email I sent out to some of my family:

On October 24, I'll be participating in a 24-hour video game marathon to raise money for my local Children's Miracle Network Hospital. Children's Miracle Network Hospitals treat thousands of children each year, regardless of their family's ability to pay. They help kids facing scary stuff like cancer, cystic fibrosis, and injuries from accidents.

I can only imagine how difficult it must be for these families. Facing a life-threatening illness or injury is bad enough without having to try to scrape together funds to pay for very expensive treatments.

The game I'll be playing is called "City of Heroes". In the game I'll get to play a superhero, but it's just a game. This marathon is an opportunity for you and me to be REAL heroes, helping to save kids' lives.

Please consider whether this might be something you'd be willing to donate towards. All proceeds go directly to helping children. You can donate securely through my page at the Extra Life website: http://www.extra-life.org/participant/36685

Please, don't just copy and paste what I wrote. Put it in your own words, it'll be far more effective! :)

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #168 on: October 07, 2012, 04:27:01 PM »

Your personal profile says October 24.... The Extra Life campaign is for October 20th.?.? Not sure if that's a typo or you really plan on doing ti on a Wednesday/Thursday.

My husband works in development in the non-profit sector, so he's knowledgeable of "best practices" that work for fundraising efforts. I had him help me when I got going on my efforts, I figured it'd be helpful if I passed along the advice he gave me to the rest of you.

Make sure you set a profile picture. Not having one makes it seem like you couldn't be bothered. Having one makes it more personal and allows people to better relate to you -- and that means they're more likely to donate, and more likely to donate more.

Make sure you personalize the appeal message on your profile page. You don't have to write it from scratch, but it's crucial that you make it personal. Why are you participating in this campaign? Why is this important to you? Connect it to you on a personal level. The generic language is good, but putting it in your own words is much, much better.

As an aside to that point, please don't say your primary reason for doing this is to raise awareness for City of Heroes. We don't want to make it seem like we're just using this event to further our own aims. Hopefully everybody participating believes that this charity is worthwhile on its own merits, independent of the pending events in our own community. Focus on that. It might be okay to reference those events lightly, but make sure they don't seem like your primary motivation here.

Make sure you set a fundraising goal! Ideally, you should set your goal low enough that you're pretty confident you can easily reach it. Then once you reach it, set a new goal that's a bit higher. And when you reach that goal, set an even higher one. You want to keep your progress such that you always seem like you're close and within reach of your goal, but not quite there. That is apparently proven to increase donations. For an example, I started mine at $100; when I hit $104, I raised it to $150; when I hit $204, I raised it to $250; when I hit $304, I raised it to $400.

A good way to raise funds is to approach people individually. Posting to Twitter or Facebook may help bring in some donations, but directly approaching someone will be much more successful. The Extra Life website has an interface to make it easy to send out an email, but I encourage you to write your own email and send it to each potential donor one at a time. That makes it feel much more personal, and less like you just clicked a button to send them an automatic message.

Once you've received a donation, make sure you follow up with a thank you message as soon as possible. Do not wait to think people until after the event is over! People need to be thanked immediately. This improves a donor's sense that their contribution was appreciated and, even more importantly, it helps improve donor retention -- that means that if you run the event again next year, they're more likely to donate again and they're also more likely to increase their donation.

After the event is over, it's also a good practice to send out a final message thanking everybody again and letting them know the wonderful success you and our team have had. That's separate from the first thank you message, though.

A little bit of extra work goes a long way towards raising money for these kids! :)

These apply equally well to our team page!! We do have a personalized the appeal message for the team page. But we definitely need to get some sort of image on there, and we definitely should set a team goal.

Maybe use this if nothing else, though hopefully someone can suggest something better. It shouldn't be a "SaveCoH" graphic. It should just be a graphic that represents the City of Heroes game and community. This is pretty important, and it's easy to make happen! :)

A goal is also easy to set. Right now a goal of $4000 would be good. If When we hit that, then we can raise it to $5000.

In case it helps anyone, you can look at my donor page to see how I personalized it a bit: http://www.extra-life.org/participant/36685 As you can see, I didn't rewrite the whole thing. I just added some personal touches. And here's the email I sent out to some of my family:

Please, don't just copy and paste what I wrote. Put it in your own words, it'll be far more effective! :)

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #169 on: October 07, 2012, 04:28:14 PM »
UPDATE:
Team COH is at $3,340.00!!!! We are currently ranked #21 out of 1832 teams. We are only $13 away from the top 20 spot!

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #170 on: October 07, 2012, 04:30:25 PM »
Your personal profile says October 24.... The Extra Life campaign is for October 20th.?.? Not sure if that's a typo or you really plan on doing ti on a Wednesday/Thursday.

I don't know how I missed that.  :o It's a typo and fortunately was only in the email, not my profile page (it says the 20th). Thanks for pointing it out so I can avoid doing that next time. :(

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
    • Repeat Offenders Network - Making the stupidly difficult easy since 2005
« Reply #171 on: October 07, 2012, 08:44:20 PM »
The reason I've left it blank up until now is because I didn't want to restrict us by making it look like we're only members of the Save CoH movement. When in reality anyone who has ever/does play City of Heroes, including devs are more than welcome to join us.

Putting up something is better than leaving it blank. It can be the COH logo...just not empty :)

no hero

• Lieutenant
  • Regens "do it" solo! :)
Samantha:  "I have to ask you a question. It's a good one so think about it. If a Player and a Game love each other, but they just can't seem to get it together, when do you get to that point of enough is enough?"

Jerry:  "Never."

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #174 on: October 08, 2012, 04:41:29 AM »
Updated my profile a little with both my names (The gamer tag everyone is more famliar with, and my real name), and a pic. However, I'm pretty sure I've raised all the funds I personally can manage. Good luck, Team, it's on you now. :)
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #175 on: October 08, 2012, 05:12:37 AM »
UPDATE:
Team COH is at $3,340.00!!!! We are currently ranked #21 out of 1832 teams. We are only $13 away from the top 20 spot!
Wow, great job everyone.  I sorely wish I could contribute.  Keep up the good work though!

Siberian Spring

• Lieutenant
    • Live Creatively
« Reply #176 on: October 08, 2012, 03:55:13 PM »
Question for folks who have made donations... Is it a pledge style, or do they charge the amount right away? 

I got my boss to pledge, but it's contingent on me actually making it for 24 hours... Mwuahahahaa... he doesn't know my love for CoX and dedication to a good cause.

fyi... $10/hr that I actually make it.

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
    • Repeat Offenders Network - Making the stupidly difficult easy since 2005
« Reply #177 on: October 08, 2012, 04:09:44 PM »
Question for folks who have made donations... Is it a pledge style, or do they charge the amount right away? 

I got my boss to pledge, but it's contingent on me actually making it for 24 hours... Mwuahahahaa... he doesn't know my love for CoX and dedication to a good cause.

It's instantly charged, it's not a pledge drive where you have to hunt people down at the end of your run. They donate to the charity and we play for 24 hours, but since they want you to do it in a healthy way, you take breaks and sleep when needed. You can make up the time as well if Real Life steps in.   

jeangray

• Minion
« Reply #178 on: October 08, 2012, 04:15:24 PM »

Could he/she make that donation after the fact then?  That's a pretty awesome pledge and I may not know you personally, but I totally know you'll do it so would hate to see you not be able to take their money for CMN!

Siberian Spring

• Lieutenant
    • Live Creatively
« Reply #179 on: October 08, 2012, 04:19:09 PM »
Could he/she make that donation after the fact then?  That's a pretty awesome pledge and I may not know you personally, but I totally know you'll do it so would hate to see you not be able to take their money for CMN!

I'm also the admin for the office, so I'll actually be entering the info on the site... if it's instantly charged, I'll do it Friday (19th) before I leave work.