Author Topic: After all this time, still getting the "Alt Inspiration" moments?  (Read 4882 times)

chasearcanum

• Boss

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
Re: After all this time, still getting the "Alt Inspiration" moments?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 04:02:40 AM »
Oh my yes.

I still occasionally actually make one in Icon and save the costume. It is a little heartrending, but I do it anyway..

Maybe we should post screenshots and new alts that we plan to play when we get the game back?
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 03:25:52 PM »
Oh glob yes... at least once a week I go "That is a GREAT idea for a toon! I gotta write that down! Oh... wait... :'( "
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 03:36:09 PM »
Oh glob yes... at least once a week I go "That is a GREAT idea for a toon! I gotta write that down! Oh... wait... :'( "

Yes,

I still write it down, go in to Mids come up with a build, then off to Icon to come up with the costume, enter a zone to see how the costume would look, then I'll save the build and costume file into a seperate folder for the day CoH returns  ;)

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 04:36:03 PM »
Yes, though not /too/ often. Very much unhappy about not being able to redesign my toons' ourfits tho.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 05:22:31 PM »
i was getting character design inspirations long before CoH existed and it didn't stop when the game was shut down. Before CoH i used to design the characters in various pencil and paper RPGs or just sketch and/or write the idea down. (i was particularly fond of designing characters using Mekton Zeta and the Hero System/Champions, but i've done it for any setting that was suited to the character concept.) After a long delay i finally installed Icon recently and have taken to designing character costumes in CoH's costume creator again. My alt concepts begin with a basic personality and background/setting for the alt which i then tweak to fit the setting of the game for RPG characters. Then again i've done the same for things like locations and story arcs as well.

My latest character redesign is now my wallpaper...
Blitz looking homeward by Aberrant_Tech, on Flickr

Edit: i suspect the oblong shape of Primal Earth's moon is related to whatever event put it into a polar orbit.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 08:51:58 PM by Nyx Nought Nothing »
So far so good. Onward and upward!

chasearcanum

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 05:20:40 PM »
very nice design.

And so glad it's not just me.
Many of my CoH characters were ideas that came from our own homebrew superhero RPG mechanics.  I didn't even know Hero Systems/Champions existed until after I graduated HS, and by then GURPS Supers was are main design source.   

With all that, though, it wasn't until CoH that I really went nuts with "weird character concept" craziness, and now that its over, going back to the Pen & Paper is particularly challenging.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 05:33:55 PM »
very nice design.

And so glad it's not just me.
Many of my CoH characters were ideas that came from our own homebrew superhero RPG mechanics.  I didn't even know Hero Systems/Champions existed until after I graduated HS, and by then GURPS Supers was are main design source.   

With all that, though, it wasn't until CoH that I really went nuts with "weird character concept" craziness, and now that its over, going back to the Pen & Paper is particularly challenging.

I think that is because just looking at the costume pieces and options help flesh out the character concepts. When you put a top hat on a lady with wings and a bolero, you mind starts trying to figure out how that can happen. Thus can Lady Rus of Tanith be born!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 09:02:58 PM »
I think that is because just looking at the costume pieces and options help flesh out the character concepts. When you put a top hat on a lady with wings and a bolero, you mind starts trying to figure out how that can happen. Thus can Lady Rus of Tanith be born!
Yeah, sometimes you just sit there, banging the random dice and suddenly, you see something and your brain starts to spin a story around that purple and green chick in the pencil skirt with the gas mask and the altitis is off to the races
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

SirKittles

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 09:12:05 PM »
I thought of Carcino-Jenny the other day.
"What do you think, everyone?"

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 09:54:30 PM »
Too many to list. If the game returns with all players reset to "Day One," I'll have at least half a dozen servers filled within a week! :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 01:34:15 PM »
After seeing these scuptures I had 2 alts immediately come to mind:

1. The Rubber Rhino
2. The Rubber Tiger

I could easily think of the costumes!

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 05:14:52 PM »
If I post even the unnamed pictures here someone might like the idea, copy it (or make a derivative) and as a result end up grabbing a name I may have wanted. So I won't post anything specific here. Sorry!

But, I do have about six themes going, with four or five variations on each. I often pull one up and start playing with it. Sometimes I completely ruin it, but sometimes I come up with something at least as good as what I started with, and I'll save that. When we can play again I'll probably have enough saved costumes that I won't have to design anything for months.

I just hope I can get most of the names I want. I guess we'll see!

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 08:40:11 PM »
All the time....
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 07:08:31 AM »
If I post even the unnamed pictures here someone might like the idea, copy it (or make a derivative) and as a result end up grabbing a name I may have wanted. So I won't post anything specific here. Sorry!

But, I do have about six themes going, with four or five variations on each. I often pull one up and start playing with it. Sometimes I completely ruin it, but sometimes I come up with something at least as good as what I started with, and I'll save that. When we can play again I'll probably have enough saved costumes that I won't have to design anything for months.

I just hope I can get most of the names I want. I guess we'll see!

I have too many to ever play so if someone wants it when we get the game back, be my guest. I used to write Bios on the fly for people I teamed with so It's fine with me.

Besides, I can always come up with another! Here is Lady Rus of of Kiev

A stage magician from Kiev who got more than she bargained for when she got an true copy of the Mystery of the Worms.  The summoning spell was badly mangled (her Latin was poor) the demon could only corrupt her physical form. But that was enough.   

Her skin is the dark of midnight, her claws long and sharp for the rending of flesh. She is surrounded by a black mist that petrifies and causes the living to weaken and die.  She is shunned because of her hellish looks, but she is still Tatyiana Borslev inside. Her hands make plants wither, animals and children are unnerved by her, even food and water are tainted by her touch. 

Rejected by humanity, she yet fights for them. The gentle woman inside is determined to have others see past her horrific exterior to the innocent soul trapped in this demonic body. She knows that one day the Rhodina will accept her again. Until that happy day, she protects the innocent of Paragon City.

(I had to give up the wings for the Bolero and Kiev ties her together better than Tanith)
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 06:45:34 PM »
All the time!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 12:41:27 AM »
I get the feelings to, I'm currently pondering how I could mesh ice blast with kineticism, especially if, or when, city of heroes is open again, the I24 changes came around.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 09:27:58 PM »
Guy Fiero: A super strength, invulnerability brute. He'd be a Magic origin, fighting crime using the Power of the 80s! So far, I have the Members Only Jacket of Great Justice, the Parachute Pants of Fleetness (I never really got around to making a speedster), and the Swatch Watch of Fortitude. Or maybe it should be the Air Jordans of Bounding, and he could have super leap! :)

(I really need a more mentally engaging job...)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 10:26:23 PM »
Guy Fiero: A super strength, invulnerability brute. He'd be a Magic origin, fighting crime using the Power of the 80s! So far, I have the Members Only Jacket of Great Justice, the Parachute Pants of Fleetness (I never really got around to making a speedster), and the Swatch Watch of Fortitude. Or maybe it should be the Air Jordans of Bounding, and he could have super leap! :)

And the backwards hat of Domination Resistance?
-Lex Luthor

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 11:44:24 PM »

Guy Fiero?

Sorry, I couldn't resist the image that popped into my head!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow