Author Topic: City of Heroes Forums (and a guide!)  (Read 16484 times)

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
City of Heroes Forums (and a guide!)
« on: April 01, 2014, 03:12:26 AM »
Hey, guys... I was recently a part of a discussion on Facebook regarding the amount of hours I played on my Warshade and just how much time and effort I put into Kheldians as a whole when I played CoH. I then recalled that once upon a time, I had created a guide for Warshades back in 2009 on the forums that was about 10 pages long (in Word). I then sat down for seven days straight once in 2011 and updated/expanded upon that original guide. The final product wound up being extremely thorough and around 52 pages in length by the time I was done.

Publishing it is, to this day, one of my proudest moments as a member of the City of Heroes community.

I decided to check and see if there was still a copy of it existing somewhere in the bowels of the interwebs... Sure enough, there was!

Thanks to archive.org, just about the entire CoH forums still exists!

If you're up for a nostalgic read about Warshades, here's the link to my guide: https://web.archive.org/web/20120906052513/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=280670

P.S.
Here's the original 2009 guide, if you're interested in seeing the differences: https://web.archive.org/web/20120906174916/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=190529
(the original got over 12,000 views, and together, both guides got nearly 17,000 views! Wow!)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:23:15 AM by AlienOne »
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
Re: City of Heroes Forums (and a guide!)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 05:34:32 AM »
Hey man, I saw that post on facebook. If I had ever got a chance to play a warshade, I'm sure it would have been awesome to have. We should get all these guides stored someplace like Titan Network. We'll need them if we get our game back.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 06:37:32 AM »
don't forget there is a ghost of the COH forums at cityofheroes.ca
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 11:17:31 AM »
don't forget there is a ghost of the COH forums at cityofheroes.ca

I went to that forum, and from what I could tell, it doesn't have the topics he CoH forums had. It appears he just imitated the look and started a new forum...
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 06:03:13 PM »
I'm not sure the guides are there. Also I'm pretty sure that links to 3rd party hosts are likely broken. I think a concerted effort to locate the guides and links would be fruitful.

We need someone who knows what guides we need and what versions are available. We could take HTML guides and PDF them.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 06:29:22 PM »
I don't even see a section for guides at all there...

As far as I know, the best place to get all the guides is from this snapshot link: https://web.archive.org/web/20120904103636/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=585

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 08:45:04 PM »
I'm dead busy with projects this week, but I'll try and take a look and see what we can save for future use. It would a shame if all this valuable info was lost, especially if we get to play COH again.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 09:04:08 PM »
I'm dead busy with projects this week, but I'll try and take a look and see what we can save for future use. It would a shame if all this valuable info was lost, especially if we get to play COH again.

For sure! There are years and years of knowledge and thousands of pages of information located there. I'm very glad that archive.org snapshotted it, but if you guys could save it on that site, it would be even better, since your site loads significantly faster than archive.org's site does when you're trying to browse the CoH Boards...

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 07:03:55 PM »
Still interested in doing this but just want to clarify something. I'm not connected to Titan Networks so I can't host it here. I do have my own site and I would happily share what I get from this with Titan if they care to have it.

Just wanted to be clear that I'm just a poster like everyone else.

The main problem I see is that any link in a post that links to another part of the board is broken since it refers directly to boards.cityofheroes.com which no longer exists. Most of these guides are HTML which means that they will have to be reformatted to work as PDFs. None of this is insurmountable, just extra steps.

I would prefer to convert these to PDF's mainly because it avoids the problem in the future. It also means that they can't easily be edited. I'll post a sample guide and see what people think of the format.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:22:27 PM by TheDevilYouKnow »
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 11:46:57 PM »
The main problem I see is that any link in a post that links to another part of the board is broken since it refers directly to boards.cityofheroes.com which no longer exists.

One possible way around this is to copy the posted link and paste it only over the part of the URL that contains the current page address. This will let archive.org search for all dates that contain that link and come up with the best solution. I used this method with pretty high success when trying to resolve the hundreds of dead links throughout Paragon Wiki last year.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 04:23:25 PM »
Thanks Blondeshell! I'll give that a try.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 05:04:45 PM »
One possible way around this is to copy the posted link and paste it only over the part of the URL that contains the current page address. This will let archive.org search for all dates that contain that link and come up with the best solution. I used this method with pretty high success when trying to resolve the hundreds of dead links throughout Paragon Wiki last year.

I've found a couple of threads that way.... One thing I'd like to figure out is how we used to be able to see all the posts from one person on a single page. It doesn't work now, because it's a search function that only works when searching the site. :/

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 06:09:39 PM »
Since it is a static archive we can go page by page and pull the guides out that are complete and represent the latest information as of Last Day, Year  of the City  113012.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 01:36:15 AM »
Since it is a static archive we can go page by page and pull the guides out that are complete and represent the latest information as of Last Day, Year  of the City  113012.
I agree with this, that is what I have been doing, plus reading the posts.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

primeknight

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 09:13:02 PM »
I just read the guild about soloing Trapdoor:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120904061039/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=249032

And I remember with my Mind/Kin it was so easy I didn't realize Trapdoor was supposed to be difficult until I tried facing him with my Peacebringer.

Then I got to the comment about how the mind/kin player kicked his butt too but had trouble with the next mission dealing with the fight between the Honoree and Holtz.  I was surprised and I wanted to reply that confuse works on Holtz as well:  Confuse will turn the fake fight between the Honoree and Holtz into real damage from Holtz.  Once the Honoree and the Rikti ambushes are taken down then mass hold Holtz into defeat. 

Being able to solo all the incarnate trials with my mind/kin really made me feel like he deserved power he acquired through out all the incarnate content. 

I wish there was something like a flying mind/kin in another game somewhere else.  Also, I apparently really miss this game. 

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 09:30:21 PM »
Yeah, I think I miss it just as much... I've found myself reading just about every thread started in the Kheldian part of the forums lately... It's a total trip back in time...

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 01:56:43 PM »
 8)  Wow!  AlienOne, your Warshade guides are awesome!!  While I very much like the concept and backstory for Kheldians, I only had a couple of lowbies (between levels 10-20) started and never did much with them.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 04:50:59 PM »
Thanks a lot! I put a lot of work into them. I think sometimes that's what hurts the most about CoH being closed down--all that time spent, and now it's not helping anyone. :/

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 04:13:44 PM »
I continue to hold out hope, AlienOne...somehow, some day we WILL be able to use your guides once more!

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Kemphler

• Minion
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 04:45:01 PM »
Man...I remember going over that guide so much when I was working on my Warshade. And of course the inputs that I gave during the process that seemed to have helped the guide. To this day, I still think my Human-Only Warshade was one of my favorite characters, and this guide really was a solid basis for what I built it as. So with that in mind, I'll thank you once more AlienOne, for having created this awesome guide.
"I intend to live forever, or die trying." - Groucho Marx