Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7193721 times)

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #29040 on: May 02, 2019, 05:41:40 AM »
The wild events of the last few days have brought me sniffing around again for the latest on the hullabaloo.

Just for the record, after I was "downsized" following my stroke I was only out of work for a week.  Another medical outfit in town needed a guy (dumb luck) and my knowledge of lasers, glaucoma, etc sealed the deal.  We're both happy with each other.  I don't have the sensation I did on the right side of my body, but two years later I can walk without a limp most of the time and I'm doing pretty well.  A friend turned me onto Skyrim and I got proficient with a mouse again slaying dragons with the occasional Fus Ro Dah thrown in for good measure.  I figured it was the closest I'll ever get to playing a super hero or super villain again.  And then all this surfaced.  Its rather like the heroes couldn't manage to bring the game back so now the villains are having a crack at forcing the issue.  (Not casting any aspersions on anyone; especially if it succeeds.)

I was thinking how nice it would be to team and interact again.  Feeling nostalgic, I looked at things I had archived CoH related and found a slew of forum posts from 2008 titled Rude Tells.  And it reminded me of "Sonic Speeded Man" pestering me to let him join my team (I was soloing) and then once in my mission map begging me for influence.  Like a blockhead I gave him some and he replied, "Got any more?"  And I remember how I encountered that team that got me to join so they could teleport me to a great height to watch me fall and splat.  How I played solo for months because at the time I was playing a blaster that caused knockback that everyone hated.  And then there were the people full of sage wisdom and anxious to share it on how my costume sucks and my build sucks and how I'm playing wrong.  I don't give a rats behind about having the "best" build or employing the "best" tactics.  I'm in it to have fun and if they don't like it there are lots of other people to team with.  I was tired of all the negativity.  All I wanted was the ability to play offline and how much it irked me that having bought CoH and CoV off a store shelf they would be useless if the servers ever shut down.

And in spite of all that I want to do it again.  Because it wasn't all grief and buttholes.  There were the guys I had tanked for the previous day wanting me back again saying, "God dang it, we need Goddangit!"  There was the Tell I got in the dead of night on a quiet server asking for my controller to help because they needed someone, anyone to help them in a Council mission where they were being handed their proverbial butts.  And when they found out my secondary was Empath and I could heal and rez proclaimed, "I love you."  I met some good people and had a helluva lot of fun.  I want to do it again.

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29041 on: May 02, 2019, 07:10:12 AM »
It's because the auction house design in CoH is terrible. Every mapserver that has a Wentworths or a Black Market on it on it not only gets a copy of the entire AH data when it starts up, but also gets updates every time somebody places or fills a bid. That generates a lot of internal traffic and puts strain on the dbserver, which acts as the middleman.

If you use the /ah command on a map that doesn't have an auction house, the first time you use it the entire AH database is immediately pulled down, and the map is added to the list to receive continuous updates.

That means that most of the city zones will eventually end up on the "has an auction house" list. That's bad enough as it is, but if you add in dozens or hundreds of base and mission maps, the extra overhead gets very heavy very fast, with lots of full transfers going on.

Because base logic is also mission logic.  Darkwatcher told me they coded bases to work like mission maps so you could idle there without disconnection.  You can't open the auction house in a mish map either.

OK, that makes sense.

So, I put a tiny portal in my base next to the crafting stations so that I can easily pop into Pocket D. There, I can open up /ah and buy and sell. And have easy access to a P2W vendor. The Jingle Pack and Frisbee are essential elements of the game!

Then, use the Pocket D base portal to go back to base. Very convenient. Between my base and Pocket D, I don't need to check in anywhere else in the game while upgrading.

Also convenient is that Self-Destruction, when you use it and then rez in your base and then go out a telepad to a zone, is instantly refreshed. Don't know whether for i25 that is a bug or feature, but, it's convenient. Especially for missions/TFs that send you to a whole bunch of different maps.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29042 on: May 02, 2019, 10:14:42 AM »
I want to do it again.

You're in luck!  No time like the present.  I can't say how long large public servers will be around, but they are around today.  Did 3 TF's tonight and was able to buy about a million INF worth of stuff for my build off the AH.  Also, the offline option currently exists as well.  As long as we have access to the binaries that is.  But eventually the I-24 source code will be worked out and then nothing can stop your own personal, offline CoH experience.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29043 on: May 02, 2019, 12:01:37 PM »
Ya being able to play without fear of shutdown is my main desire too.  I really hope it happens.  I am hoping the talks with TonyV end up being successful.  I wanted to get in while the population was good before (worst case scenario) NCSoft drives everyone off to private small servers.   I haven't remade my main on the servers that are up right now, I don't want to invest that work again just to lose it again.   But if playing with people you haven't met before is what you want than the current servers could scratch that itch, even if only potentially temporary.  Right now there is basically people running all content, at all times.  Even the AH feels as full as did on live already.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 12:27:07 PM by Taceus Jiwede »

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29044 on: May 02, 2019, 08:04:29 PM »
The wild events of the last few days have brought me sniffing around again for the latest on the hullabaloo.

Just for the record, after I was "downsized" following my stroke I was only out of work for a week.  Another medical outfit in town needed a guy (dumb luck) and my knowledge of lasers, glaucoma, etc sealed the deal.  We're both happy with each other.  I don't have the sensation I did on the right side of my body, but two years later I can walk without a limp most of the time and I'm doing pretty well.  A friend turned me onto Skyrim and I got proficient with a mouse again slaying dragons with the occasional Fus Ro Dah thrown in for good measure.  I figured it was the closest I'll ever get to playing a super hero or super villain again.  And then all this surfaced.  Its rather like the heroes couldn't manage to bring the game back so now the villains are having a crack at forcing the issue.  (Not casting any aspersions on anyone; especially if it succeeds.)

I was thinking how nice it would be to team and interact again.  Feeling nostalgic, I looked at things I had archived CoH related and found a slew of forum posts from 2008 titled Rude Tells.  And it reminded me of "Sonic Speeded Man" pestering me to let him join my team (I was soloing) and then once in my mission map begging me for influence.  Like a blockhead I gave him some and he replied, "Got any more?"  And I remember how I encountered that team that got me to join so they could teleport me to a great height to watch me fall and splat.  How I played solo for months because at the time I was playing a blaster that caused knockback that everyone hated.  And then there were the people full of sage wisdom and anxious to share it on how my costume sucks and my build sucks and how I'm playing wrong.  I don't give a rats behind about having the "best" build or employing the "best" tactics.  I'm in it to have fun and if they don't like it there are lots of other people to team with.  I was tired of all the negativity.  All I wanted was the ability to play offline and how much it irked me that having bought CoH and CoV off a store shelf they would be useless if the servers ever shut down.

And in spite of all that I want to do it again.  Because it wasn't all grief and buttholes.  There were the guys I had tanked for the previous day wanting me back again saying, "God dang it, we need Goddangit!"  There was the Tell I got in the dead of night on a quiet server asking for my controller to help because they needed someone, anyone to help them in a Council mission where they were being handed their proverbial butts.  And when they found out my secondary was Empath and I could heal and rez proclaimed, "I love you."  I met some good people and had a helluva lot of fun.  I want to do it again.

Never let the rotten fruit spoil the basket.

The only time your build is "wrong" is if you are constantly face planting from any attack. THAT is when you need to reexamine your build.

Otherwise it is your toon on your account, build it as you please and to blazes with what the crybabies have to say.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29045 on: May 03, 2019, 12:11:50 AM »
Ya being able to play without fear of shutdown is my main desire too.  I really hope it happens.  I am hoping the talks with TonyV end up being successful.  I wanted to get in while the population was good before (worst case scenario) NCSoft drives everyone off to private small servers.   I haven't remade my main on the servers that are up right now, I don't want to invest that work again just to lose it again.   But if playing with people you haven't met before is what you want than the current servers could scratch that itch, even if only potentially temporary.  Right now there is basically people running all content, at all times.  Even the AH feels as full as did on live already.

That is precisely my concern.  While its fun to do a little street sweeping or hear that mission completed sound I don't want to invest a lot of time in rebuilding my characters right now.  Even if NCSoft doesn't drop a train on SCORE my understanding is these are largely testing servers and will probably end up being wiped.  I was an alt-a-holic and I started when it was almost fresh out of beta.  I built them once and I can do it again.  I even relish the idea of seeing all that content again and savoring it.  I just don't want to have to rebuild the same characters repeatedly.  I think I'll wait for the dust to settle and find myself a stable home before I invest that kind of time and effort.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29046 on: May 03, 2019, 01:30:37 PM »
First Friday in May is No Pants Day! The day everyone can be a Triumph!

Crazyleo

• Minion
« Reply #29047 on: May 03, 2019, 01:38:23 PM »

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29048 on: May 03, 2019, 07:18:43 PM »

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #29049 on: May 03, 2019, 08:10:05 PM »
Apparently AMD's APUs manage COH better than Intel's onboard video.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #29050 on: May 04, 2019, 08:00:34 AM »
Been playing on the public servers for some time now.  Other than the original "Bree" server being deleted that has been the only character wipe.  The current public server has 4 shards.  No plans for the foreseeable future for any more character wipes at this point.  Was supposed to be one on the 27th of April which has now passed.  I have a character up to level 39 now and see no need for worries at this point.  I say jump in the water is just fine.  I have had no negative experiences to date.  Most of the people playing have been friendly and helpful.  Just like the old days.
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29051 on: May 04, 2019, 08:59:47 PM »
A terrible thought occurred to me as I was falling asleep last night.  What if this is all a Nemesis plot?

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29052 on: May 04, 2019, 10:32:34 PM »

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29053 on: May 05, 2019, 01:12:36 AM »
Been playing on the public servers for some time now.  Other than the original "Bree" server being deleted that has been the only character wipe.  The current public server has 4 shards.  No plans for the foreseeable future for any more character wipes at this point.  Was supposed to be one on the 27th of April which has now passed.  I have a character up to level 39 now and see no need for worries at this point.  I say jump in the water is just fine.  I have had no negative experiences to date.  Most of the people playing have been friendly and helpful.  Just like the old days.

Ya same.  I was originally planning on taking it slow since they might be wiped, and well then I was just 35 all of a sudden with millions of influence, so I figured why not start doing IO's.  I believe right now the current stance is "We can't confirm we won't wipe, but we won't if we don't have to"

But 6000+ players on right now, running as smooth as live.  The water is perfect :)

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #29054 on: May 05, 2019, 09:09:13 AM »
I get a chassis intrusion alert! system halted.
Blow the dust from inside the chassis and disable the chassis intrusion warning in your BIOS configuration.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29055 on: May 05, 2019, 08:36:33 PM »
I still have the old Dell I first played on.  I powered it up the other day and found I19 on it.  The Alienware I had after that has long since gone to its reward.  That thing was nothing but trouble.  Cooked off a video card one Sunday as I was jumping over a wall to go after Babbage.  I was surprised to find a very old laptop I have been meaning to recycle has CoH on it.  Doubtless for play from hotels when the company I worked for was sending me all over the midwest.  No idea what issue, but I expect it is ancient.

Christmas

• Underling
« Reply #29056 on: May 06, 2019, 03:08:48 AM »
I finally managed to get the game downloaded, but I can't seem to figure out where to register a account. I've read over posts here, but can't seem to figure how to log in. Anyone know of a link to a guide with that information or just with a link to where to register?

Thank you for taking pity on someone who has been out of the loop since the original game shut down. Virtue forever!

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #29057 on: May 06, 2019, 03:24:20 AM »
I finally managed to get the game downloaded, but I can't seem to figure out where to register a account. I've read over posts here, but can't seem to figure how to log in. Anyone know of a link to a guide with that information or just with a link to where to register?

Thank you for taking pity on someone who has been out of the loop since the original game shut down. Virtue forever!
Unfortunately it's against Titan Network's policy to post links to the private server info here. The best I can do is link you to some of the places where that info can be found: Discord, Reddit , Facebook. Most of these places have the links you need stickied somewhere prominent.

Korbian

« Reply #29058 on: May 06, 2019, 01:24:56 PM »
This post has all the information to find all the sekrit things.  It's just tucked in an out of the way spot.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29059 on: May 06, 2019, 02:16:01 PM »
It's going to get a friend soon.

But yes, any questions asking for Homecoming Tech Support in any Paragon Chat topic will be locked. 
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran