Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7193288 times)

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #29060 on: May 09, 2019, 12:26:02 AM »
Just out of curiosity, how long does it typically take to download the CoH client and all through Tequila?

I currently don't have internet at my house. I'm using my phone as a hoptspot. So, I know it'll be taking me longer to get it downloaded. (2 days, so far)

I will probably not be able to actually get online or anything with any of my MMOs until I can get an actual internet connection.

Moving can be a real pain. Especially when you move to a tiny town in the middle of no where. took me 5 months to get a job. I was starting to enjoy retirement...
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29061 on: May 09, 2019, 12:32:21 AM »
Depends on your download speed.  The client is just south of 5GB in size.

On 100MB Download Speed, it's 8 minutes.  24MB common with ADSL, it's 30 minutes.  On a slow connection (2MB or less), you're looking at 8 hours or more.

If possible, see if other places offer free wi-fi, and run Tequila in there.  Even if the download speeds drop to garbage, you can close the downloader and try it again somewhere else or another time to resume on the last file you were on.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29062 on: May 09, 2019, 01:01:23 AM »
Depends on your download speed.  The client is just south of 5GB in size.

On 100MB Download Speed, it's 8 minutes.  24MB common with ADSL, it's 30 minutes.  On a slow connection (2MB or less), you're looking at 8 hours or more.

If possible, see if other places offer free wi-fi, and run Tequila in there.  Even if the download speeds drop to garbage, you can close the downloader and try it again somewhere else or another time to resume on the last file you were on.

It's rather difficult to take my desktop to the library and use their wifi. Hence, the reason for the phone as a hotspot. And my connection with that seems to be about 5 kbps or something. In other words, really slow.

Anyway, I was just curious. It's not like I have a lot of choice but to wait at the moment. Besides, I have a book on my kindle app to help keep me entertained.

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #29063 on: May 09, 2019, 04:06:55 PM »
It's not like I have a lot of choice but to wait at the moment.
You have a choice. Tequila's download speeds tend to be extremely slow due to the demand on the infrastructure. There's a magnet link (decentralized torrent) with a copy of i24 data. Get that for a much faster download, then add Tequila for the remaining 200 megs or so.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29064 on: May 10, 2019, 01:46:44 AM »
You have a choice. Tequila's download speeds tend to be extremely slow due to the demand on the infrastructure. There's a magnet link (decentralized torrent) with a copy of i24 data. Get that for a much faster download, then add Tequila for the remaining 200 megs or so.

It took me a week to download a game on steam using my phone as a hotspot. I don't really think downloading the torrent or through tequila will make much difference. Believe me, I have a freaking slow connection. I'm fairly sure I won't even be able to log onto the game once it's up and ready. If I did manage to log on, I'd have to captain rubberband man.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29065 on: May 10, 2019, 02:32:30 AM »
It took me a week to download a game on steam using my phone as a hotspot. I don't really think downloading the torrent or through tequila will make much difference. Believe me, I have a freaking slow connection. I'm fairly sure I won't even be able to log onto the game once it's up and ready. If I did manage to log on, I'd have to captain rubberband man.

The desktop, sure.  Didn't know if you had a laptop.  Tequila needs to download the files to play the game from somewhere else.  Doesn't mean the game has to necessarily WORK on the laptop, it's just a lifeboat.  (Copy them to the Desktop PC, voila!)

If you don't have a laptop, then I'll be quiet. :)

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29066 on: May 10, 2019, 08:45:59 AM »

It actually will make a huge difference.  If you downloaded a game through steam in a week, that means it could take well over a month to download CoH through tequila.  People who can normally download games of steam in an hour or two were taking 20+ hours to download it through tequila.

If their examples follow suit, you are looking at about 8-10x longer download times through Tequila.  The torrent may still take a week or two, but it beats 2 months of Tequila.  Im not even sure if that is hyperbole.  People were complaining about taking upwards of 40-50 hours to download it through Tequila, while it took me about 10 minutes through a Torrent.   It's that much faster.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29067 on: May 10, 2019, 07:08:39 PM »
The desktop, sure.  Didn't know if you had a laptop.  Tequila needs to download the files to play the game from somewhere else.  Doesn't mean the game has to necessarily WORK on the laptop, it's just a lifeboat.  (Copy them to the Desktop PC, voila!)

If you don't have a laptop, then I'll be quiet. :)

It actually will make a huge difference.  If you downloaded a game through steam in a week, that means it could take well over a month to download CoH through tequila.  People who can normally download games of steam in an hour or two were taking 20+ hours to download it through tequila.

If their examples follow suit, you are looking at about 8-10x longer download times through Tequila.  The torrent may still take a week or two, but it beats 2 months of Tequila.  Im not even sure if that is hyperbole.  People were complaining about taking upwards of 40-50 hours to download it through Tequila, while it took me about 10 minutes through a Torrent.   It's that much faster.

I might try all that Sunday or Monday. Someday when I'm not working or running around like something that runs around frantically with missing body parts.

PhiloticKnight

• Minion
« Reply #29068 on: May 10, 2019, 08:00:12 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the place for this, or if there even *IS* a place for this on this forum, but with a title like "New Efforts", I'm linking this here, because this is my "new effort" to try to give back to the community in some way. Basically, I'm in the VERY early stages of putting together a mobile Hero Planner, for which I will be trying to use "live" data. More details can be found here:

https://score.savecoh.com/index.php/topic,1559.0.html

Again, I don't know if I'm allowed to post something like this here, of if this thread is the right place for it, but it's related to coding, reverse-engineering the software, and it's a link to another forum, so I'm sure I probably broke some rule somewhere with this post. If I did, please let me know which one(s) and I'll try to fix it up!  ;D

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29069 on: May 11, 2019, 01:23:00 PM »
Maybe just me but wired and not wireless and it was overnight to pull down with three fails along the way.  My wireless laptop was a two day battle.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29070 on: May 12, 2019, 08:30:34 PM »
Would having just watched the animated Reign of the Supermen movie, I began to think in CoH terms of how to build the 4 fakes.

Cyborg Superman: inv/ss tank with musculature in his alpha slot as he was supposed stronger then Superman

Steel: either an inv/mace tank or inv/Titan weapon tank. Given that he took a pounding and kept coming back I would say tank and cardiacin his alpha. Also hasten to speed up his attacks with that hammer.

The Superboy quaisi clone: well in the comics his durability was questionable and his power levels in the story were not quite at adult Superman levels so I'm  thinking scrapper with super strength and super reflexes

The eradicator, brutal in his attacks and cold blooded behavior in his defense of Superman.  So I'm thinking an inv/ss brute alpha slotted with musculature and judgement is either the fire or lightning version. Or else perhaps radiation melee/inv brute or energy melee.....
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 02:13:13 AM by Sinistar »
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Greyfairer

• Underling
« Reply #29071 on: May 13, 2019, 12:23:35 AM »
Not sure where to post this, but:
Has anyone made a local server on Windows 7 for single player?  I want to do that with my computer and am not sure how to get started.  I've seen directions for Win 10, albeit somewhat vague, and not sure if it will work for 7.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29072 on: May 14, 2019, 09:07:22 PM »
Not sure where to post this, but:
Has anyone made a local server on Windows 7 for single player?  I want to do that with my computer and am not sure how to get started.  I've seen directions for Win 10, albeit somewhat vague, and not sure if it will work for 7.

I tried it a bit with the Freedom VM that is posted and had some issues.  I ended up giving up because I kept running into errors and receiving literally 0 help from any of the communities - even asked a few people here without luck.  However, shortly after I found a video that explains how to set it up and haven't tried since then.  I don't think we can post links here but I would happily PM it to you to check out if you want.
I keep hearing "ask in discord people are happy to help" so far that has proven to be completely untrue in any regard.

PhiloticKnight

• Minion
« Reply #29073 on: May 14, 2019, 09:12:33 PM »
I tried it a bit with the Freedom VM that is posted and had some issues.  I ended up giving up because I kept running into errors and receiving literally 0 help from any of the communities - even asked a few people here without luck.  However, shortly after I found a video that explains how to set it up and hasn't tried since then.  I don't think we can post links here but I would happily PM it to you to check out if you want.

I keep hearing "ask in discord people are happy to help" so far that has proven to be completely untrue in any regard.

Yeah, you know... I've come across this problem across the Discords, across the Homecoming forums, and across this forum even. There seems to be some sort of "veil" over all of the coding/programming/server setup... like anyone that's actively been working on it are all working on it in their own personal silos, and not sharing any information with anyone else.

This seems... strange to me. I figured with the source being released, that there'd instantly be up a coding wiki AND a coding forum, where people would talk back and forth, and share knowledge with each other, and learn from each other, and post it all publicly so that everyone can learn.

But I haven't seen that, I don't understand why... there is Project Ouroboros, but that's looking like just one person doing anything there, and it doesn't seem very collaborative.

I might start such a thing myself, and make it publicly accessible, even if nobody else ever visits it, just on principle. I'd rather not, as I'm a pretty busy guy... but I think SOMEBODY has to do it.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29074 on: May 14, 2019, 09:34:59 PM »
Yeah, you know... I've come across this problem across the Discords, across the Homecoming forums, and across this forum even. There seems to be some sort of "veil" over all of the coding/programming/server setup... like anyone that's actively been working on it are all working on it in their own personal silos, and not sharing any information with anyone else.

This seems... strange to me. I figured with the source being released, that there'd instantly be up a coding wiki AND a coding forum, where people would talk back and forth, and share knowledge with each other, and learn from each other, and post it all publicly so that everyone can learn.

But I haven't seen that, I don't understand why... there is Project Ouroboros, but that's looking like just one person doing anything there, and it doesn't seem very collaborative.

I might start such a thing myself, and make it publicly accessible, even if nobody else ever visits it, just on principle. I'd rather not, as I'm a pretty busy guy... but I think SOMEBODY has to do it.

It is a similar mindset that have come into Titan Network forums for years.

Keep in mind, because someone says they have those goals in sight doesn't mean they have the wherewithal or skills to carry it out.  And usually it's the public that they're disappointing.  I'm not a programmer.  I wouldn't know where to start on assembling a server, myself.  I know the quick and dirty guides out there are more of a proof of concept than a Operating Manual.  The actual manual I have no idea what it would look like, but I imagine much like the engineering staff when the game was live, if the operator doesn't have a background in programming it's not of much help.

The other problem with releasing things to the community: if you release it, people expect you to support it when it doesn't work. And as most folks who are finding out right now... Without a programming background, troubleshooting a server becomes very difficult. For a simple example, asking someone who is seeking help getting their server online if they understand WAN and IPv4 and v6 addressing would be a lot to ask out of most folks.  And that's not even beginning to discuss a fix.  That's just to catch the user up to speed.

I won't say anything about the lack of an effort towards what you're describing, since a lot of groups aren't clear on their own missions quite yet either.

Then again, by admitting I'm not a programmer, I know there's quite a few people who see this as no help and dismiss all of what I said.  Friendlier tools to let everyone run a server will take time, period.  It's not going to happen quickly.  (And usually, end user friendly servers mean compromises folks don't expect.  "This installer should let me run a 200 member server, right?  I've got a spare Chromebook..." You and I know that won't work, but there's those who will try to do things like this anyway.)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:47:06 PM by Tahquitz »

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29075 on: May 15, 2019, 12:38:01 AM »
It is a similar mindset that have come into Titan Network forums for years.

Keep in mind, because someone says they have those goals in sight doesn't mean they have the wherewithal or skills to carry it out.  And usually it's the public that they're disappointing.  I'm not a programmer.  I wouldn't know where to start on assembling a server, myself.  I know the quick and dirty guides out there are more of a proof of concept than a Operating Manual.  The actual manual I have no idea what it would look like, but I imagine much like the engineering staff when the game was live, if the operator doesn't have a background in programming it's not of much help.

The other problem with releasing things to the community: if you release it, people expect you to support it when it doesn't work. And as most folks who are finding out right now... Without a programming background, troubleshooting a server becomes very difficult. For a simple example, asking someone who is seeking help getting their server online if they understand WAN and IPv4 and v6 addressing would be a lot to ask out of most folks.  And that's not even beginning to discuss a fix.  That's just to catch the user up to speed.

I won't say anything about the lack of an effort towards what you're describing, since a lot of groups aren't clear on their own missions quite yet either.

Then again, by admitting I'm not a programmer, I know there's quite a few people who see this as no help and dismiss all of what I said.  Friendlier tools to let everyone run a server will take time, period.  It's not going to happen quickly.  (And usually, end user friendly servers mean compromises folks don't expect.  "This installer should let me run a 200 member server, right?  I've got a spare Chromebook..." You and I know that won't work, but there's those who will try to do things like this anyway.)

I mostly stopped because I figured I would wait until it had some more friendly tools, I didn't mind it was difficult or beyond my skill level.  But it was quite frustrating going to Reddit and the main CoH Discord and numerous people saying "Feel free to ask for help!" and then when you do they either completely dismiss you or give smart ass answers.  The one, in particular, I got when asking if an error I was getting was normal and they said "It is if the map server isn't running" and then provided no other information.  This was one of the coders and admins of the main discord who boasts about helping people play the game on "their own terms" and yet was about as helpful as an apathetic mechanic telling you that it's normal for your car not to run if the engine is broken.

The way the people who offer help are handling it is what annoys me so much.  I understand some people got it working, think they can help, and actually can't.  That's okay I don't feel anyone is obligated.  But just ignoring people or giving half-assed answers is downright insulting.  Don't even offer help in the first place if you are going to be snide about helping people, this is something the "private server community" doesn't seem to grasp.

To me, it feels like asking someone to help you move and they agree and then just never show up.  I wouldn't be mad if you just said "No" or "I can't" in the first place.

EDIT:  Just to say this isn't related to Homecoming.  I know that isn't their end goal, it's all the other communities that boast it's their end goal.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 12:54:13 AM by Taceus Jiwede »

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29076 on: May 15, 2019, 03:23:06 PM »
Now...on what page was Arcana's build for the 'Turbo-Energy-Energy' Blaster..?

*Been looking in the search feature...I'm sure she posted a build on this thread.

It had *insane* recharge.

...and the talk of perma-energize....  *Der-rool, der-rool.

Azrael.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29077 on: May 15, 2019, 09:10:46 PM »
Now...on what page was Arcana's build for the 'Turbo-Energy-Energy' Blaster..?

*Been looking in the search feature...I'm sure she posted a build on this thread.

It had *insane* recharge.

...and the talk of perma-energize....  *Der-rool, der-rool.

Azrael.

But is it also defense capped?
In fearful COH-less days

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29078 on: May 15, 2019, 09:15:55 PM »
I mostly stopped because I figured I would wait until it had some more friendly tools, I didn't mind it was difficult or beyond my skill level.  But it was quite frustrating going to Reddit and the main CoH Discord and numerous people saying "Feel free to ask for help!" and then when you do they either completely dismiss you or give smart ass answers.  The one, in particular, I got when asking if an error I was getting was normal and they said "It is if the map server isn't running" and then provided no other information.  This was one of the coders and admins of the main discord who boasts about helping people play the game on "their own terms" and yet was about as helpful as an apathetic mechanic telling you that it's normal for your car not to run if the engine is broken.

The way the people who offer help are handling it is what annoys me so much.  I understand some people got it working, think they can help, and actually can't.  That's okay I don't feel anyone is obligated.  But just ignoring people or giving half-assed answers is downright insulting.  Don't even offer help in the first place if you are going to be snide about helping people, this is something the "private server community" doesn't seem to grasp.

To me, it feels like asking someone to help you move and they agree and then just never show up.  I wouldn't be mad if you just said "No" or "I can't" in the first place.

EDIT:  Just to say this isn't related to Homecoming.  I know that isn't their end goal, it's all the other communities that boast it's their end goal.

Well I am sure there is a certain sense of elitism as in "I have it working and you don't! Ha!"
But.....given that Ncsoft to my knowledge hasn't said much of anything regarding this it is also possible that some people are leery of Ncsoft trolling the forums looking for a chance to strike this all down.

Or else people are just being internet trolls.
In fearful COH-less days

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29079 on: May 15, 2019, 11:08:01 PM »
I honestly don't think it was malicious in any regard.  Just annoying.  I think the coders who said they would help people were showing a little elitism "lol if you can't do it I wont explain it" kind of thing.  But other than that I think it was just a case of A) People saying they could help and finding out they couldn't (Which is fine) or the more common option B) People said they will help with 0 intent of actually helping.  Just kind of an empty gesture people made (Who at the time probably meant it)

Like I said I was just annoyed people were offering help, and then ignoring me/giving me half smart ass answers.  Just say "No I can't help sorry" and ill say "Cool thanks for listening even"