Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7211292 times)

drmanbot

• Minion
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #28960 on: April 23, 2019, 06:44:04 PM »
Is there anything actually new to report , aside from the circular firing squad that occurred yesterday? We went from  team unity to angry mob with pitchforks and then cannibalism in real-time  in about an hour. Very disheartening.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #28961 on: April 23, 2019, 07:19:05 PM »
Is there anything actually new to report , aside from the circular firing squad that occurred yesterday? We went from  team unity to angry mob with pitchforks and then cannibalism in real-time  in about an hour. Very disheartening.

I am not aware of anything solid.  Just the promise that the server will be back, but no real estimates on when, or how, or with whom.  The CoH discord said they would have some information in the late afternoon/early evening time frame after their "24 hour cooling off period".  Hopefully, the council will have met, and come up with a plan that they will be willing to share.  That's the last I heard that was verifiable.
What was no more, is now reborn!

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28962 on: April 24, 2019, 12:42:57 AM »
No but if NCsoft is paying attention they should take note that we had double the single server player count than any of their living games including CoH under them. I think part of the craziness came from we had a STELLAR and BETTER product in some ways than we ever had and it went poof for no reason other than fairly baseless panic.

DeProgrammer

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • DePro Depot
« Reply #28963 on: April 24, 2019, 01:14:52 AM »

Vella

• Minion
« Reply #28964 on: April 24, 2019, 01:18:46 AM »
Oh, what do we have here? https://twitter.com/TonyV_CoH/status/1120855527175671808

I don't think we have anything to lose at this point.  The code is out there regardless of the outcome.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28965 on: April 24, 2019, 01:19:26 AM »
Nothing important.

Blasphemy! all things "New Effort" are impor...

Eh, you're probably right. This is the thread of all things blatherskite.  :P
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28966 on: April 24, 2019, 01:22:21 AM »
Having the code = Leverage. Fingers crossed.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #28967 on: April 24, 2019, 01:22:37 AM »
Oh, what do we have here? https://twitter.com/TonyV_CoH/status/1120855527175671808

Now THAT's got to be worth a "Wake me up" post!!!
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #28968 on: April 24, 2019, 01:24:18 AM »
The genie's out of the bottle as far as the code goes, but if NCsoft's determined to play whack-a-mole we can say goodbye to any sort of consolidated server where all of us can play together. So if they agree to this, that would be awesome.

Vella

• Minion
« Reply #28969 on: April 24, 2019, 01:25:10 AM »
Now THAT's got to be worth a "Wake me up" post!!!

It sure woke me up and I'm already awake!  ;D

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28970 on: April 24, 2019, 01:45:23 AM »

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28971 on: April 24, 2019, 02:30:51 AM »
If it pleases the powers that be, could we have a new thread for this rather than the two concurrent ones?

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28972 on: April 24, 2019, 02:44:41 AM »
TonyV I know you have been around the block enough to know better than to listen to the trolls on Discord but still wanted to say I appreciate what you are doing!  If we could have a server that isn't under constant fear of C&D that would be a dream come true.  Thanks for trying on behalf of the community!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 03:20:00 AM by Taceus Jiwede »

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #28973 on: April 24, 2019, 03:28:06 AM »
Tbh Leandro kept his ship on course and tight for 6 years.

Today demonstrated why he did that, today was a shit show. He's not a moron - he just didn't want to lose the server and the game, I get it.
Counterpoint: Leandro could have done a code dump through any number of anonymous repositories or filesharing sites or physically mailing it to others at nearly any time in the past six years and still kept his role and the existence of his own server secret. Also there are multiple ways to set up a server so that only people with the correct information or app have access; that sort of technology is off the shelf stuff and requires less work than getting a server running in the first place. That said, i can also understand wanting to not take any chances, but that sort of goes out the window once more than one person knows about it, and it becomes increasingly less likely to stay hidden every time that number doubles. Frankly it's sort of astonishing that his access to the code stayed hidden for this long. Sure, a few other people had claimed to have had access, but the recent kerfuffle was the first time anyone provided credible evidence.

Regardless, the big issue with the recent server was that somebody with high level access and under a lot of stress panicked. i can understand why considering some of the rumors flying around and the exaggerated hyperbole about IP law routinely spread by many companies, but it was the very human and understandable reaction of someone under pressure overreacting.

Edit: In any event hopefully TonyV will make the whole discussion moot in the near future.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 03:55:33 AM by Nyx Nought Nothing »
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Primus1

• Minion
« Reply #28974 on: April 24, 2019, 03:37:37 AM »
Negotiating with NcSoft again?....Here comes another "Wake me when there's news" thread"

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28975 on: April 24, 2019, 03:41:13 AM »
Regardless, the big issue with the recent server was that somebody with high level access and under a lot of stress panicked. i can understand why considering some of the rumors flying around and the exaggerated hyperbole spread about IP law routinely spread by many companies, but it was the very human and understandable reaction of someone under pressure overreacting.

That working server was just a proof of concept that Leo's version of the code worked. And then it snowballed into seeing if they could keep it going with bigger loads and servers. No one was ever getting that version of the code because it wasn't scrubbed for indications of the original leaker or those who worked on it.

That server's version will be released by Leo when scrubbed. In the meantime, the I24 branch has all the files released and is being hammered into a working server (like Leo had done).

Soon we'll have both branches fully operational and available.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28976 on: April 24, 2019, 03:50:13 AM »
Negotiating with NcSoft again?....Here comes another "Wake me when there's news" thread"

I keep seeing this attitude.  What is the big problem with trying again?  Private servers WILL come up no matter what.  All this does is give us a slight possibility at keeping one around permanently.  How does this change anything in a negative way?

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #28977 on: April 24, 2019, 03:58:09 AM »
I keep seeing this attitude.  What is the big problem with trying again?  Private servers WILL come up no matter what.  All this does is give us a slight possibility at keeping one around permanently.  How does this change anything in a negative way?
And previously NCsoft held all the cards. Now it's more "You can either ignore the rogue servers and make no money, take legal action against the servers and spend money, or, maybe, you could license an official fan server and make money. Your call."
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28978 on: April 24, 2019, 04:08:39 AM »
If it pleases the powers that be, could we have a new thread for this rather than the two concurrent ones?

Already did that this weekend.  We'll start a new thread on Official News from TonyV's talks.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28979 on: April 24, 2019, 04:08:58 AM »
Discord's big announcement:

Tempest FlashToday at 12:05 AM
Good afternoon, evening, or morning, everyone.

I'd first like to introduce myself - I'm going to be coming onboard as a community relations, in order to give an easier, more transparent communication line with you.

At this time, we have a third party in direct contact with NCsoft. These are real, actual conversations, with the goal of giving us an opportunity for a legal solution. We are working towards that now. We all want to see the future of City of Heroes as a bright one, so we are going to give this one last pass. It's an effort that might be futile, but it isn't one we take lightly.

But as the saying goes: Trust, but Verify - with this effort we are NOT stopping our efforts to provide a private server solution. We are making efforts right now and are getting closer to giving you a more specific timeframe for the release of a server. While negotiations are ongoing, we are absolutely committed to ensuring this game is brought to you in a clear, and open way. We are making efforts to ensure that, if the worst comes to pass, we will not lose our momentum. Please stay tuned for update announcements in regards to either the legal solution, or our open-sourcing.

The code will continue to be provided openly, and will be released via torrents and other solutions in order to ensure that this progress will never be brought back to square one again.

Thank you for your patience.