Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210313 times)

Biz

• Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #26140 on: November 02, 2016, 09:18:03 PM »
I never knew how scary the people on this forum could be...this is a serious group that is not to be trifled with.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26141 on: November 02, 2016, 09:56:29 PM »
Yea, a lil bit of 220V is always good for a 120V load!!

That might kill someone.  On the other hand, if the outlet were to output something other than a normal 60Hz sinusoid, the vast majority of electrical equipment out there wouldn't appreciate that at all.  The damage is also untraceable forensically.  Of course, having mentioned it on a public forum, I might choose to do something different from my list of a hundred different ways to make an electrical outlet something very expensive to attempt to hijack.

It would of course be cheaper and simpler to unplug the cord and call the police, but I don't get to use my engineering skills often anymore.  I wonder how difficult it would be to tap the neighbor's power and hook it up to the external outlet?

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #26142 on: November 02, 2016, 11:29:12 PM »
Or maybe you'd get really lucky and create an electrically charged Giant Monster next door!

... that could also be unlucky.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26143 on: November 03, 2016, 12:37:49 AM »
I never knew how scary the people on this forum could be...this is a serious group that is not to be trifled with.
Well, a lot of us did play City of Villains.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26144 on: November 03, 2016, 01:41:52 AM »
Note to self:  Do not piss off Arcana.....

Off OR on!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26145 on: November 03, 2016, 02:02:36 AM »
However they stopped when they saw what was holstered on my right leg. 

I'm a lefty myself.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26146 on: November 03, 2016, 02:41:56 AM »
I didn't know I was trifling with villains...

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26147 on: November 03, 2016, 04:58:36 AM »

I was a corruptor.....although my fav sets were fire blast/time manipulation....
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #26148 on: November 03, 2016, 12:58:07 PM »
So not only would you burn down the offender's house, you'd do it a year ago...

rookery.

• Nothing Gets Past This Guy!
  • Minion
« Reply #26149 on: November 03, 2016, 01:01:07 PM »
All the best villains do their monologuing 35 minutes after the fact.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26150 on: November 03, 2016, 01:29:41 PM »
I don't have the facts and figures.  All I can go on is what I remember, and all I can tell you is it used to look stronger to me in the past.  It seemed stronger to me then a new issue came out and LTs and bosses would still be hurt but have more of their health.  I don't remember when that issue was released or even what number it was.  I started playing when issue 2 was current.  Never stopped.  Never took a break.  I was there to meet new and interesting people and blow the heads off of pve enemies.  If my toons happen to kill of a pack of minions in one shot then more power to me.  I'd do the basics for slotting enhancements.  Never anything advanced.  Only one toon ever got sets and she wasn't seriously setup (pardon the pun).

I did things like get on my ar/nrg blaster and get on an assault team more than one.  8 ar/something blasters on a team.  We'd shoot full auto in 4x4 sequences.  Blast the hell out of anything in our way.  Get on arch/whatever blasters and go roa on the heads of enemies too.  Get on all controller teams and go run various TFs.  Used LV most of the time but there were other controllers in my stables.  Being an ill/storm was quite fun.  Statesman was really fun on all controller runs.  I remember perma-hasten with perma pets too.  I remember them all but I can't tell you the stats behind each toon much less which issues were in effect when I was doing these things.  In truth, it doesn't matter.  What matters is I had a good time and met lots of interesting people.

Hell, half the time, I'd get on my emp/rad def or ill/emp controller, find a team (usually they found me first), and let them do the killing while I kept them healed/buffed up.  Only ever ran into one person who had a problem with the fact I wasn't attacking.  Let his rear-end die a few times for spite and the tank kicked him off the team and then told the rest of the team if they had a problem with me buffing/healing only, get off the team.  Don't know who that player was.  Never exchanged real world names.  It didn't matter.  It was fun.  I do remember logging into those toons and having at least 4 tells asking me to join them before the computer would let me start playing.  That was a nightly occurrence whenever I got on either of those toons.

Wow!  That brought back lots of memories.

Yes.  It's not all about facts and figures.  (I only latterly moved to IO builds in the last year or so of the game, having 3 elegant, diamond hard and flawed builds respectively.  I liked the vanilla SO builds.  Simple.  Easy to understand.  As long as I got to that point I felt the alt had 'arrived' and enjoyed the journey to L50.)  CoH was just fun.  Well, it was until they took perma-hasten away from my En/En blaster.  I always held an axe about that...

CoH was the ultimate pick up and play game.  Casual gamer heaven.  I noted your reasons for enjoying the early game.  It was all very exciting and new to me.  Almost bewilderingly so. 

I remember having a good illusion healer watching my back in the early days on my way up to my 1st En/En L50 blaster.  It helped (back when I thought blasters could tank...or 'lead the line' of attack...)

As for force multiplier teams.  A team of blasters doing full auto.  That must have been crazy.  (I do recall 3 blasters in the early days, I was one of them, who did rinse and repeat novas.  'You're up next...'  Recall falling asleep at the keyboard that night blanking out...only for a 'tell' message beeping to wake me up....)  A team of defenders.  Even a duo of FF/En and FF/Rad were very potent combos.  Overlapping dispersion fields with Insulation/Deflection buffs applied to one another.  Add a detention field to take out a powerful foe (leaving him to last so you could both beat up on him... :D

Azrael.

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #26151 on: November 03, 2016, 02:42:15 PM »
It would of course be cheaper and simpler to unplug the cord and call the police, but I don't get to use my engineering skills often anymore.  I wonder how difficult it would be to tap the neighbor's power and hook it up to the external outlet?
I wonder if the offending neighbor has power to tap...I like the vicious electrical circle effect of your idea though 8)

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26152 on: November 03, 2016, 03:48:44 PM »

Droid/ff, demon/dark, and mercs/ff MMs and ice/dark, fire/rad, and fire/kin corrs.  ss/fire and ss/wp brutes.  Ran the demon/dark most of the time.  "They told me I get to be out of prison if I played the 'good, lil mousie'.  Well being an evil rodent promoting good (yuck!) beats prison so here I am doing good (vomits).  Just don't expect me to be the 'good, lil mousie'," Lil Hell Mouse.

Started her out as a true villain then turned her into a vigilante.  demon/dark really can put foot to arse most of the time.
No Surrender!

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26153 on: November 03, 2016, 03:53:47 PM »
As for force multiplier teams.  A team of blasters doing full auto.  That must have been crazy.  (I do recall 3 blasters in the early days, I was one of them, who did rinse and repeat novas.  'You're up next...'  Recall falling asleep at the keyboard that night blanking out...only for a 'tell' message beeping to wake me up....)  A team of defenders.  Even a duo of FF/En and FF/Rad were very potent combos.  Overlapping dispersion fields with Insulation/Deflection buffs applied to one another.  Add a detention field to take out a powerful foe (leaving him to last so you could both beat up on him... :D

Azrael.

What was crazy was when we'd get down to the final boss and unload all 8 full autos together.  Almost as much fun but not nearly as chaotic as an 8 way MM team throwing all pets at one boss at once.  But even with just 4 blasting a group, watching the health bar roll down for a single target was crazy.  Watching it for 8 was absolutely insane.

No Surrender!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26154 on: November 03, 2016, 09:33:34 PM »
Yes.  It's not all about facts and figures.  (I only latterly moved to IO builds in the last year or so of the game, having 3 elegant, diamond hard and flawed builds respectively.  I liked the vanilla SO builds.  Simple.  Easy to understand.  As long as I got to that point I felt the alt had 'arrived' and enjoyed the journey to L50.)  CoH was just fun.  Well, it was until they took perma-hasten away from my En/En blaster.  I always held an axe about that...

An earlier move to IOs and you could have dropped that axe years before shutdown. Though you'd have to go balls out for perma hasten and would probably be better off with a few seconds downtime and better defense.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26155 on: November 04, 2016, 03:26:48 AM »
An earlier move to IOs and you could have dropped that axe years before shutdown. Though you'd have to go balls out for perma hasten and would probably be better off with a few seconds downtime and better defense.

IOs provided better benefits than Hasten itself in many if not most cases.  First, there was a lot of global recharge floating around in the IOs from the LotGs to the purple sets to the cheap recharge in many other sets.  Second, IO set slotting allowed people to slot a lot more recharge into click powers that could benefit from recharge without significant penalty (or often without any penalty at all).  Third, Hasten itself contained costs that players often ignored but still existed, and IOs could eliminate.  Consider that if you got Hasten to be just perfectly perma, you'd be cycling it about every 120 seconds.  Actually, you'd have to cycle it slightly faster than that to prevent a gap, but let's say 120 seconds.  Hasten had a 0.73 activation cost, which was actually closer to 0.93 seconds with Arcanatime tailgating.  That means 0.93 seconds out of every 120 seconds you can't activate attacks.  That's essentially a 0.78% damage debuff of sorts when you can't attack (or for that matter, can't use other beneficial clicks).  Hasten also had an endurance cost, except it happened on expiration rather than activation.  Still, it burned 15 end every 120 seconds (when perma) which could not be slotted away (I'm pretty sure conserve power didn't do anything to that cost either).  That's 0.125 eps.  That's not high, but its not nothing either: a reaasonably slotted SR toggle would cost about 0.195.  So (perma) Hasten burns endurance almost like a toggle.  In the world of inventions that SR toggle would cost less while Hasten continued to cost the same amount.

Global recharge bonuses could easily get you into the +25%ish range, and extra slotting could get +40-50%ish more recharge than pre-IO days, giving attacks as much recharge as perma-hasten used to with no activation penalty, no extra endurance cost, and no gapping under recharge debuffs (if you're hit with a recharge debuff that could increase the recharge time of hasten to the point where it is no longer perma, and then you lose the benefits of the buff during the downtime: that can't happen with global or slotted recharge bonuses).

On top of that, you can still take Hasten.  But IOs created paths to equal or higher net recharge with less costs than Hasten.  And we're not even talking about lunatics like me that built builds approaching 200% recharge - like having three copies of hasten stacked.

Perma-Hasten vanishes in I6.  IOs start showing up in I9.  So there's only a seven month gap in the eight+ year history of the game where the lack of perma-Hasten was really much of a thing.  And once I9 arrived, I didn't miss (easy) perma-Hasten at all.  I think I said once that if I knew then what we were going to get in I9 and beyond, I would have asked for ED in Issue 1.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26156 on: November 04, 2016, 04:28:14 AM »
On top of that, you can still take Hasten.  But IOs created paths to equal or higher net recharge with less costs than Hasten.  And we're not even talking about lunatics like me that built builds approaching 200% recharge - like having three copies of hasten stacked.

We're not? I should shut up then.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26157 on: November 04, 2016, 05:13:37 AM »
It's time once again for ...
The Pantless Avenger!

That's Paragon Avenger, you twit!
Hello and greetings my fellow gamers.  In a page straight out of the movie "Angels In The Outfield", one of the top NCSoft execs was overheard saying that NCSoft would sale City of Heroes when the Cubs win the World Series!  To that executive I say, "Be careful what you wish for!"  Yes sports fans, they might have to re-write these ltrics...again, "Root-root-root for the Cubbies, if they don't win it's the same..."  So it is either the end of days or a brand new dawn.  City of Heroes is all but back on-line.  If third-party hear-say overheard in a noisy lunchroom can be trusted.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26158 on: November 04, 2016, 05:17:16 AM »
You don't tug on Superman's cape.  You don't spit into the wind.  You don't pull the mask of the old Lone Ranger.  And you don't mess around with electrical engineers.

Is it true that to EE's the world and everybody in it are basically resistors, just waiting for the right amount of voltage?

rookery.

• Nothing Gets Past This Guy!
  • Minion
« Reply #26159 on: November 04, 2016, 11:19:27 AM »
It's time once again for ...
The Pantless Avenger!
 If third-party hear-say overheard in a noisy lunchroom can be trusted.

If you can't trust third party hear-say overheard in a noisy lunchroom, WHO can you trust?