Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7293656 times)

Reaper

• Lieutenant
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #25300 on: July 19, 2016, 08:12:50 PM »
Who is this mythical Joshex person?

Whoa.  That may be a loaded question.  I'm not sure he can just be described.. more like experienced?  Anyways, there are plenty of posts throughout the forum that could sum it up better than most probably can.
Patiently lurking from the shadows...

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25301 on: July 19, 2016, 08:43:57 PM »
In Agge's final moment of power she vanquished Joshex eh?

Who is this mythical Joshex person?

Records are unclear, mostly because he wrote them, but legend says he is a time traveling mystic with all the knowledge of the world.  But he kindly keeps it all to him self so he doesn't burden our fragile mortal minds with his cosmic knowledge.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #25302 on: July 19, 2016, 10:19:28 PM »
If this forum was Cheers, Joshex would be Cliff.

so in this parallel universe... who is Sam... Carla... Ma Claven :p

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #25303 on: July 19, 2016, 11:31:04 PM »
Well, on the plus side Joshex seems to have found a place relatively consistent with his sensibilities.  Sort of.
He's also posting at Timecube now?
So far so good. Onward and upward!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25304 on: July 19, 2016, 11:36:26 PM »
Joshex?  Mostly just another conspiracy theory obsessive guy.  Like all spoons are watching him through the cheese cameras kind of guy.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25305 on: July 20, 2016, 12:26:15 AM »
Joshex?  Mostly just another conspiracy theory obsessive guy.  Like all spoons are watching him through the cheese cameras kind of guy.

Shhhh. The cheese cubes are listening.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25306 on: July 20, 2016, 12:41:17 AM »
If this forum was Cheers, Joshex would be Cliff.

Except in one thread that was over three years ago I never really interacted with him.  I don't think I'm qualified to say anything about him to be honest.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25307 on: July 20, 2016, 01:24:54 AM »
Open question because I've forgotten: when did cutscenes first start appearing in CoH?  I think back and it honestly feels like it had them the entire time (qualifier: I started playing just before I5).

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25308 on: July 20, 2016, 01:27:06 AM »

I don't think that really covers it.  I always thought it was a little sad that Joshex seemed to believe that the more grandiose his expressions the more respect he would garner for them, when the exact opposite was true.  He believed that you didn't need to understand an idea to contradict it or supplant it.  He couldn't tell the difference between colloquial simplification and technical precision.  He had no internal sense of the difference between guessing and knowing.  And he acted as if everyone existed in the same deep fog he did: that to the extent he didn't know something no one else really did either so it made no difference.

Joshex believed you could become a respected expert in game design by just making one.  That the parts of physics he didn't understand were obviously wrong.  That it was okay to give out medical and legal advice without actually knowing anything about either and without disclaimers.

Joshex didn't even expend the effort most ignorant pretenders expend by doing quick google and wikipedia searches.  Whereas most people are wrong when they overgeneralize or misunderstand internet information, Joshex would just plain make stuff up that no one else believed at all.  And not understand why it was obvious.

I think Joshex lived in a world where everything took more hard work than he was willing to expend, and wanted to live in a world where intuition and casual brainstorming were all you needed to get ahead, and he just couldn't convince anyone to join him there.

There is a cautionary tale in there worth mentioning.  Whenever you claim to know more than you actually do, you may sway those that don't know enough to realize that, but you will tend to incur the disrespect of those that do.  No matter how good at it you think you are, that conduct will always be transparent to those knowledgeable enough to figure it out.  And that threshold is always lower than you think it is.  It is never really worth it, although sometimes it takes dramatic examples to demonstrate that.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25309 on: July 20, 2016, 01:29:45 AM »
Open question because I've forgotten: when did cutscenes first start appearing in CoH?  I think back and it honestly feels like it had them the entire time (qualifier: I started playing just before I5).

I want to say they came out with City of Villains.  So circa I6 or so feels about right to me.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25310 on: July 20, 2016, 01:49:24 AM »
I for one will miss Joshex's yang to Arcana's yin...

Actually let me rephrase... I for one will miss Joshex's grilled horseshoe and ectoplasm on drywall sandwiches with a side of confetti to Arcana's yin.

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #25311 on: July 20, 2016, 03:42:07 AM »
Speaking of the cutscenes...

They were generated "on the fly" similar to the way the demo-recordings worked weren't they?

I seem to remember hearing that there was a way to inject your hero into most of the cutscenes, somehow.

I never did try it though, and now my memory about it is rather vague.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25312 on: July 20, 2016, 04:16:02 AM »
If you were could get to the area of the cutscene fast enough before it disabled movement you could insert yourself. Spamming your battle cry onscreen with the characters was a good way to add some variety, especially given that the cutscene stuff tended to be things that got run over and over like ITF. Some of us on Triumph took to using lines from cutscenes as battle cries specifically for cutscene spamming. I and a couple others had a toon with Manticore's "Keep it together Shalice!" specifically for hitting every time Sister P opened her mouth in the LRSF.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25313 on: July 20, 2016, 04:55:43 AM »
If you were could get to the area of the cutscene fast enough before it disabled movement you could insert yourself.
Pay no attention to the government agent casually reading the newspaper in the background.  ;)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25314 on: July 20, 2016, 09:08:15 PM »
If you were could get to the area of the cutscene fast enough before it disabled movement you could insert yourself.

When they first arrived on beta, I think you could accidentally kill the actors with things like damage auras.  This would not, however, stop them from talking.  I really, really, really, really wish I had recorded that.

Balince

• Minion
« Reply #25315 on: July 21, 2016, 01:31:49 PM »
Was reading a not related CoH forum and they used the word placate and I got sad. Made me miss stalkers. For the love of God please give us an update! I know I'm pathetic but I can't help it. :'(

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25316 on: July 21, 2016, 02:27:28 PM »
so in this parallel universe... who is Sam... Carla... Ma Claven :p

Heck with that... who is Norm, and what do you have to do to get a beer in this place?

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #25317 on: July 21, 2016, 04:47:22 PM »
I took my Martian Manhunter toon to Croatoa last night.  I would really, really, really like to be able to look forward to Halloween again....sigh.

umber

• Boss
    • My CoH Characters
« Reply #25318 on: July 21, 2016, 11:30:00 PM »
I think Joshex lived in a world where everything took more hard work than he was willing to expend, and wanted to live in a world where intuition and casual brainstorming were all you needed to get ahead, and he just couldn't convince anyone to join him there.

Sounds like a Truthiness disciple.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25319 on: July 22, 2016, 02:09:55 AM »
I took my Martian Manhunter toon to Croatoa last night.  I would really, really, really like to be able to look forward to Halloween again....sigh.
Keep an eye on the H.E.R.C. forums for updates on future Paragon Chat player events this year, including a Halloween themed Event, Oct. 29th, in Croatoa.
https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12049.0