Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7211012 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #13520 on: December 02, 2014, 12:33:43 AM »
This.  I am eager to return as much as the next person but silence for now is the best answer.

If the deal were to fall through it would be on par with the destruction of Alderaan "A great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices cried out and were suddenly silenced"

My own thought at this point is that if this deal falls through at some point someone WILL get the IP just because the entertainment industry tends to prefer to remake existing properties rather than create new ones.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13521 on: December 02, 2014, 12:45:43 AM »
Ah, such great memories come flooding back on the worst day of the year, Shutdown Day Anniversary.

My main joy in the game came from running my Empathy/Psi Defenders, buffing my teammates who needed it (and as noted in earlier conversations, some didn't).  And their Offender counterparts were fun as well, choosing 90% attack powers and self buffs to determine just what I could solo when there were no active teams running around on the lower population servers.  My third build was to act as an Infiltrator for the team, zipping invisibly thru the mission's instanced levels, and then Teleporting the team to a safe location near the
Boss's Mob, and the rest was history shortly thereafter.

Sugoi,

I think you hit it on the head. There were so many different ways you could play the exact same power sets that it was fairly meaningless to say one way was better than another.

As far as Defenders were concerned, I found that they were always full of surprises. Personally, I think I was always my most creative making Defenders.

I think it was their own weaknesses that made me want to play them all the more. Their blasts didn't hit as hard, they got all sorts of semi useful powers, most had no mez protection, on and on. In that kind of environment I started looking for the unusual that could be done.
How the secondary effects of your blasts worked with your build, how slotting only an end red into Black Hole worked well since it left some for your team to attack while keeping them safe in a team wipe kind of situation. There were just too many different varieties to be tried.

And it was always on one of them that I found those moments of pure joy while teaming.
From saving my team from a triple onslaught of blinking eyeballs with my Dark/Dark (Fearsome Star one group, Darkest Night another and Black Hole the third) to Salvaging a pug TF by taking over the tanking duties with my TA/Ice (Ice was great for playing tank) to counting up the damage numbers my sonic/sonic contributed to beating AVs solo by level 31 on my Naff/DP (using only BFs) they all were great.

And that's why I never worried or even cared about someone's take on the correct way to play. I only cared if they stood in the back and did nothing.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13522 on: December 02, 2014, 01:08:02 AM »
here's a question as my memory is a bit hazy on the matter: Was it Paragon's decision to bump off Statesman and Sister Psyche or was it NCSoft mandated?
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13523 on: December 02, 2014, 01:11:35 AM »
here's a question as my memory is a bit hazy on the matter: Was it Paragon's decision to bump off Statesman and Sister Psyche or was it NCSoft mandated?

It was paragon studios that made that decision.  The story writer just felt it was a good time to move on from Statesman.  Honestly given the circumstances statesman dying was a near inevitability, he was in the comics rather stubborn and liked to dive into problems.  So he probably would have gotten himself killed sooner or later.

Edit: Honestly I didn't think it was really that bad a writing, but I will say though, it wasn't the loss of statesman or sister psyche that really truely bothered me.  It was penelope yin being introduced as a half fixer sue.  Problem was I didn't see any character development from her like I had from other characters.  Nore do I feel she had development anywhere else for that matter.  She had no "This is your fault, @#%#%%^ and YOU KNOW IT!" moments that I can think of.  She was merely there to replace sister psyche as a "More awesome than sister psyche".  People called her a mary sue for a reason and it was easy to see why.

Thinking back the vigilante to villain missions could have had some work to.  It was to willful to be an evil bastard, I feel, rather than an accidental "What have I done!?" that inevitably leading everyone to think you really are the bad guy.

But I do look forward to the villain to rogue and rogue to hero missions again, big time.  I loved how becoming the good guy was totally accidental in a good way.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 01:22:34 AM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13524 on: December 02, 2014, 01:32:25 AM »

Anyone else have any favorite memories of the greatest MMORPG to ever exist?
One fond memory I have was with my usual Wednesday night group all playing our Villains. We had 3 Rads a Brute, and /Psi Dom, and a couple of Arachnos Soldiers and a Widow.

I never realized that the first Psi attack could recharge almost before the animation for it completed when buffed by 3 AMs.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13525 on: December 02, 2014, 01:37:44 AM »
It was paragon studios that made that decision.  The story writer just felt it was a good time to move on from Statesman.  Honestly given the circumstances statesman dying was a near inevitability, he was in the comics rather stubborn and liked to dive into problems.  So he probably would have gotten himself killed sooner or later.

Edit: Honestly I didn't think it was really that bad a writing, but I will say though, it wasn't the loss of statesman or sister psyche that really truely bothered me.  It was penelope yin being introduced as a half fixer sue.  Problem was I didn't see any character development from her like I had from other characters.  Nore do I feel she had development anywhere else for that matter.  She had no "This is your fault, @#%#%%^ and YOU KNOW IT!" moments that I can think of.  She was merely there to replace sister psyche as a "More awesome than sister psyche".  People called her a mary sue for a reason and it was easy to see why.

Thinking back the vigilante to villain missions could have had some work to.  It was to willful to be an evil bastard, I feel, rather than an accidental "What have I done!?" that inevitably leading everyone to think you really are the bad guy.

But I do look forward to the villain to rogue and rogue to hero missions again, big time.  I loved how becoming the good guy was totally accidental in a good way.

I loved the Rogue Missions. Most of my villains tended to fall on the "I'm in it for the money" side and there were things that they would not do.

I didn't mind Statesman dying so much as the cheap way he did die. I would have made it take several episodes ... with Statesman ultimately choosing to give his life to save the players rather than just walking into a trap a five year old kid could see.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13526 on: December 02, 2014, 01:55:48 AM »
I loved the Rogue Missions. Most of my villains tended to fall on the "I'm in it for the money" side and there were things that they would not do.

I didn't mind Statesman dying so much as the cheap way he did die. I would have made it take several episodes ... with Statesman ultimately choosing to give his life to save the players rather than just walking into a trap a five year old kid could see.

Yeah Statesman dying wasn't too big a deal, I was curious as to who made the decision. 

As to HOW Statesman was killed, well unless he wanted to die then he did rather blindly walk into Wade's trap.

Also with the power he had being shown as apparently dispersed in the second villain arc and that Pandora's Box cannot contain it now, then if he were revived he'd just be Marcus Cole.
In fearful COH-less days

Teddy Bear Ftw

• Underling
« Reply #13527 on: December 02, 2014, 02:41:47 AM »
I've been quietly lurking in the shadows...I never thought I would be posting.

My large amount of daily pessimism is being constantly overshadowed by a glimmer of hope that CoX will return.

I just want to drop a small token of appreciation for all those who have tried so hard and for all those who keep the torch lit.

I guess I can now proudly say that I am one of them as well. /em holdtorch

umber

• Boss
    • My CoH Characters
« Reply #13528 on: December 02, 2014, 03:22:56 AM »
One fond memory I have was with my usual Wednesday night group all playing our Villains. We had 3 Rads a Brute, and /Psi Dom, and a couple of Arachnos Soldiers and a Widow.

I never realized that the first Psi attack could recharge almost before the animation for it completed when buffed by 3 AMs.

One of our last Wednesday Night teams (whats with us CoHers and weekly Wed gatherings?) was a group of six Titan Weaponeers and two Kins.  It was...  well, it was just silly.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #13529 on: December 02, 2014, 05:22:21 AM »
Didn't like statesman dying but I was bothered even more by Sister Psyches death... I was like "oh come on!" I liked the new Penelope Yin but killing off Sister Psyche was stupid... and was too tragedy for Manticore to bare.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13530 on: December 02, 2014, 05:48:09 AM »
I've been quietly lurking in the shadows...I never thought I would be posting.

Welcome :)

Thanks for taking the time to say hi! I know that first post is never easy. Feel free to join in on some of the conversations too, if you feel like it. Or not, no pressure.

/e holdtorch

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13531 on: December 02, 2014, 07:35:07 AM »
Didn't like statesman dying but I was bothered even more by Sister Psyches death... I was like "oh come on!" I liked the new Penelope Yin but killing off Sister Psyche was stupid... and was too tragedy for Manticore to bare.

Sister Psyche's death was such a copy of of how Jean Grey was going Dark Phoenix and Cyclops not wanting to kill her so she ended up doing it herself.  Only in CoH, Manticore did what Cyclops refused to do and killed Sister Psyche.

If the game had continued, I wonder what would have happened to Manticore?
In fearful COH-less days

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #13532 on: December 02, 2014, 08:58:24 AM »

But then there's always the alternative question, isn't there?
"What will happen to Manticore in Revival?"
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13533 on: December 02, 2014, 09:12:15 AM »

He'd have gone totally vigilante and started rounding up like individuals, assembling a new squad of Vigilante only contacts/trainers.

Meanwhile, Scirocco and Ice Mistral would have gone Rogue, and started assembling their own group of Rogue only contacts/trainers.

And then the Loyalist/Resistance factions would have had their storylines extended through First and Night Wards, and beyond, all the way to level 50.

And there would be much rejoicing!

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13534 on: December 02, 2014, 09:46:09 AM »

I know!!!! he becomes a villain and calls himself justin beiber!!!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13535 on: December 02, 2014, 10:14:40 AM »
Sister Psyche's death was such a copy of of how Jean Grey was going Dark Phoenix and Cyclops not wanting to kill her so she ended up doing it herself.  Only in CoH, Manticore did what Cyclops refused to do and killed Sister Psyche.

Know, thats kind of how I felt about it, in a way(though I watched the movie, :/).  Honestly I'd have liked Manticore to remain a hero with a more jaded view, but i wasn't sure how the writer would have gone with that route.  I notice manticores character development was rich boy who would do anything to win, kind of like green arrow, but kind of declining in a way.  I noticed in general the freedom phalanxe was in a general decline, and considering the groups age, nothing to bad with that.  Its a group that'd need to change if it wanted to succeed as any organization must in a changing environment.  Heck, sister psyche and statesman dying were definite signs they'd need to.

In manticores case, he's a human at peak condition, but he'd be getting older and seeing more combat he'd be more worn, mentally from it.  And having to kill sister psyche would certainly have been bad for his mind, i'd have rather a more gradual fall from grace for him if he was to become more of a vigilante, rather than the kind of semi-sudden falls from grace players in the vigilante and vigilante to villain missions took.  I know time is always some kind of issue but, a gradual fall can be done.

Honestly though, I think it could probably be more interesting if he remained on the line as a hero, in a sense.  But think of pushing him towards closer to a retirement range and a more skeptical kind of attitude.  One could do quite a bit still.  He hated killing sister psyche alot, perhaps he could be more hesitant in fighting and killing than he may have been.  Or acting even more behind the scenes then he already was as a semi mastermind behind the scenes.

I actually am left wondering, where are the heroes who act purely behind the scenes in city of heroes?  I am left wondering that somewhat,  I could say Lady Grey may come close but Lady Grey is publicly the leader of Vanguard, more or less.  Granted heroes generally react, villains act, but still.  I just wonder, wheres the heroic equivilent of nemesis?  The other close person is the letter wirter, Dream Doctor.  I don't want to count Mender Silos as Mender Silos is, well, we know who he is/was.

If your wondering, I did have a character of that archtype in mind for my AE missions I was trying to make.  I don't want to spoil who that was to be though :).  Edit: Other than yeah there might be a character like that.  It's a subject to change thing at this point since i'm purely on drawing board when I do ever decide to write, writers block keeping me stuck :(.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #13536 on: December 02, 2014, 02:13:09 PM »

Slow decent into madness as he convinces himself that "Sister Psyche must have brainjacked Aurora again" slowly becoming more and more creepy and stalkerish until eventually he has to be defeated..however he escapes..and joins the Batallion because they are super incarnates who can possibly bring his love back to life, eventually sliding into a resigned desire to destroy everything when he finally figures out that nothing can bring her back.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13537 on: December 02, 2014, 06:01:57 PM »

It will all be revealed in a new story arc (in 5 parts) in which your character plays a significant roll. You will play a major roll in decisions about the future of not only Manticore, but of the Freedom Phalanx and of Paragon City as well.
Part 1 the battle for the Heart of Paragon begins in Issue 29: Moon base.

To unlock this story arc you must have level 3 or above Omega Incarnate powers on your character. This story arc can only be soloed.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13538 on: December 03, 2014, 01:04:42 AM »
To unlock this story arc you must have level 3 or above Omega Incarnate powers on your character. This story arc can only be soloed.

BOLD: So basically what you want is for like 2% of the entire population to be able to play it. Gotcha. What a terribad idea.

UNDERLINE: Requiring super-duper incarnate powers (which requires a ton of raid-sized group play) and then restricting it to a solo arc is...kinda dumb...
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #13539 on: December 03, 2014, 01:10:38 AM »
She was killed by a meer arrow, not vaporized, sliced up or anything extreme... and in a City full of heroes... well it seems to me that atleast one empath would of been able to heal and revive her. The whole arc to me was still entertaining and interesting but it seems pretty clear that all they wanted to do was kill off two of the signature characters and if anything Statesman should of been killed by his arch rival Recluse... not some nobody...