Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7209850 times)

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #13500 on: December 01, 2014, 06:18:02 PM »
EDIT: Removed quote because it wasn't necessary.

I love your pic Groundbreaker

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #13501 on: December 01, 2014, 06:25:50 PM »
My philosophy was to give advice on builds and accept advice from others as well, as long as it was advice. Whenever someone gave me the attitude of "build your characters the way I say or else....." my response was "unless you are paying for my account, then you can drop the attitude"

Thanks.

You know, it is not that I won't consider other choices.

One time a team-mate was nattering at me to use this power, use that power.
I simply said, "I appreciate the advice, but how-about you play your character and I play mine." He politely responded, "Good idea." Later we got our heads together and hammered out strategies.

Naturally, we each make choices about build or play-style, but it seems to me that no one combo on any particular toon is going to make or break it or the team. Especially when there are so many options, CoX was well balanced enough that an unorthodox build would not prevent success.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Groundbreaker

• Minion
« Reply #13502 on: December 01, 2014, 06:37:14 PM »
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #13503 on: December 01, 2014, 06:58:12 PM »
Finally caught up in this thread... it moves quickly, so I fall behind and don't want to put the time in to read it, which causes me to fall further behind, which increases the length I would have to read to catch up, which makes me want even less to do so...

Anyways, the Lore AMA is useful for Scirocco stuff: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA

Also, I did a simple google search for the origin of the term Fruit Salad, and came across a story here: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/User:Morrisri/Fruit_Salad Is this a copy of the original forum post? Is it legit?

Edit: Never mind, I had posted a wikia link, and eventually found the Paragon Wiki stuff here: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/User_talk:Morrisri/Fruit_Salad
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:08:59 PM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #13504 on: December 01, 2014, 07:18:03 PM »
Having been in the hot seat FFM - I can tell you it sucks even more to know things and not be able to say a word.

I am sure Nate knows we are hanging on his every word and parsing it to smithereens to find some hidden meaning in it. I would be certain at this point they would either be under a "gentleman's agreement" to say nothing or an NDA and they can't even tell you they are under an NDA.

I don't know anything you don't and I am letting the reins stay loose and letting the folks work. It moves ever so slowly forward and that is the best news.

Aye. I know I wouldn't want to be in Nate's shoes right now. Must be killing him not to be able to give us any more news. :/

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #13505 on: December 01, 2014, 07:19:53 PM »
I am amazed at how controversial a non-conforming build is.

Or maybe it is just trolling.

Either way, complaining about different builds is missing out on the enjoyment of diversity.

Basically it boils down to "If you don't build it my way, it's wrong. And I won't let you on my team" (As if that's a punishment)Then if you get on the team, "You're not playing right. Here let me tell you what attacks to use." Might as well let the other guy have your account.

IMHO if a person has to 'win' in their own way all the time, then losing must be their natural state in life.

As an ardent triform Peacebringer, I was well used to having people try to tell me how to play.  Right up until the first mob we faced, where instead they just said "wha' just happened?"  :P

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #13506 on: December 01, 2014, 07:22:28 PM »
The point is - its a game. CoH was built on Fun first. If the player is doing crazy things you can embrace the crazy or don't play with them. If a player came in who was disruptive to me or made me angry - I just said see you later folks I have some other things I need to do - take care and left.

This was always CoH's biggest strength, and something most modern MMO's miss by a long mile.

A game is meant to be fun, and the most important thing about fun, is being able to take it to the bad guys no matter what choices you make!

Take Archeage (please).  That game has already degenerated into a festering pit of hate, and it's barely 2 months old in the west.  If you don't have Hasla gear, you're going to get ripped to shreds in PvP, and if you PvE, the PvPers are going to grief the crap out of you, big time.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #13507 on: December 01, 2014, 07:24:07 PM »
Yup, in this case being a bit psychotic is not a bad thing.  :)

Not at all! In fact, it was required if you played an offender build! :p

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13508 on: December 01, 2014, 07:30:46 PM »
Thank you, my dear Baron!

*Tosses FFM a tantalizing, helpless Atreides*
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13509 on: December 01, 2014, 07:35:18 PM »
As an ardent triform Peacebringer, I was well used to having people try to tell me how to play.  Right up until the first mob we faced, where instead they just said "wha' just happened?"  :P

Reminds me of when I'd trot out my PB.  Some people would moan and groan until I lit up several mobs. Then their response was "What the h---- was that?" :)
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #13510 on: December 01, 2014, 07:36:24 PM »
Thank you, my dear Baron!

*Tosses FFM a tantalizing, helpless Atreides*

Oooh! A new toy!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #13511 on: December 01, 2014, 07:38:43 PM »
Reminds me of when I'd trot out my PB.  Some people would moan and groan until I lit up several mobs. Then their response was "What the h---- was that?" :)

You clearly had much more polite team members than I did. ;)  Most of mine would have embarrassed Gordon Ramsay. :P

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13512 on: December 01, 2014, 08:00:08 PM »
Sadly, I didn't play PBs or WSs much.

I had one PB in the 30s lvl range, and one WS in the high 20s.

I hope to remedy that soon!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13513 on: December 01, 2014, 08:05:36 PM »
My main problem with people having "non-optimized" or "fun" builds wasn't that they had them and enjoyed playing them, it was when they tried to do very difficult content with them, and as a result got plastered, then proceeded to whine and cry about the mean Internet bullies when people try to suggest how to improve their build to them. (The "Petless MM" fad that was going on for a while when Thugs first came out because it was the only way to wield dual pistols comes to mind.)

Conversely, CoX was never a very hard game as far as MMOs go, so builds that were well and truly unplayable and a liability to any team they were in were VERY rare unless you were doing the *absolute* most difficult content, such as some of the challenge badges in iTrials, and as such, people who insisted on an *optimized* group for every single random mission/BAF farm were equally as ridiculous.

This, this right here man.  To me, honestly an "Optimized build" is a build optimized to the playstyle of the player, not to some cookie cutter standard.  Just there was a small amount of "builds" that were wildly below par for some silly reason or another.

Now I admit here I was a bit rude here, go figure, about my views of the attackless empath, but I saw sillier moments in poor builds, the controlless plant/empath controller.  You heard right, no crowd control powers taken.  Only healing powers, including medicine.  I tried to tell the person seeds of confusion is a great thing that he should have taken and then tried to nicely tell him that he shouldn't need resurrect from the medicine pool.  WEll, the guy called me a noob in broadcast, I said no mean words to him or anything, he just, well, exploded on me for suggesting he remove the medicine pool.  At least the crowd knew what I was talking about and agreed with me, quote "He'll have to learn sooner or later".  Course at his level I was wary that'd ever happen :/.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13514 on: December 01, 2014, 08:11:35 PM »
As the founder of the SG Fruit Salad... I will chime in.

I see both points here...
1. It is not my place to tell anyone how to play their game.
2. I do not personally believe in attack-less (or minimal attacking) Empaths.

It has been proven ad nauseam that Empaths are more effective by using their buffs and attacks instead of just their healing powers. An "arrested" baddie does not do damage...and the best way to arrest a baddie??? Contribute to attacking him/her. So what does this mean?? Absolutely nothing. Why?? Because if you choose to run an attack-less Empath...that is your choice. If that's what is fun for you...then go for it. Now I will say this:

When I ran into attack-less Emps... I always tried to politely explain why SOME attacks are better than none. I would also coach them on their builds if they so asked...especially one's without Fortitude. What they did with that guidance/information was up to them.

What all this boils down to is do what you want to do with your toons... to have fun. But... I also think it is ok to try and educate people in a VERY polite way about builds and effective teaming; especially with Empathy toons. When you come across as arrogant...demanding...rude... people won't listen to you degrade their play-style...no matter how correct you are in your statements.

My Empathy Defenders:
Fixxer
Fixxer Upper
Fixxee
Fixxie
Fixxalicious

My Empathy Controllers:
Pharmacist
Dr. Rockhard
Control Phreak
Fall Down Go Boom

Aye I realise I was hair rude in my statements a few days ago.  I'll probably make a series of videos to prove my points, and no I don't plan to be rude in them :P.  Actually I'd been planning to make said videos for a while should the game come back, which know, leaves me torn what kind of powersets I want to display first.

I don't want to do empathy first cause I want a reasonably stronger solo build, which well, we all know empathy doesn't excel at that in the way I want it to (playing on at least 6x or higher solo at levels 40-50 is something i'll need for a first character).  Since I also want to show how support can be done in city of heroes, and want to set a good example, this is somewhat tricky, to.  I'm leaning towards a time manipulation character, but whether I play a controller(probably gravity control), or a corruptor/defender with fire blast or energy blast.  Torn between those three options :P.  And yes, done those builds before, heck energy blast/time corruptor was my mains build.

But I am considering empathy as a second character so I could show how empathy is better played.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13515 on: December 01, 2014, 08:12:37 PM »
My emp never had trouble doing difficult content.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13516 on: December 01, 2014, 08:15:22 PM »

I'll start deleting things again. Move on to something else.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #13517 on: December 01, 2014, 08:16:38 PM »
Ah, such great memories come flooding back on the worst day of the year, Shutdown Day Anniversary.

My main joy in the game came from running my Empathy/Psi Defenders, buffing my teammates who needed it (and as noted in earlier conversations, some didn't).  And their Offender counterparts were fun as well, choosing 90% attack powers and self buffs to determine just what I could solo when there were no active teams running around on the lower population servers.  My third build was to act as an Infiltrator for the team, zipping invisibly thru the mission's instanced levels, and then Teleporting the team to a safe location near the
Boss's Mob, and the rest was history shortly thereafter.

My personal Golden Age time period in the game was when running my original Sugoi Emp/Psi Defender with Von Scythe's team on Liberty server from Oct 2004 thru Jan 2005.  We met during the original Halloween event, raising hell (and levels) while running amuck thru Founder's Falls and beyond.  We quickly gathered a group of regulars who met each evening at the same time, and team spots filled as soon as everyone logged in.  The group stayed together thru that Fall and early Winter, and we made sure that all the regular team members
all hit 50 within a week of each other.  Unfortunately, Von got dragged off to WoW by his son shortly after trying out a Warshade during the first month they came out (and boy were PBs and WSs crippled that first month... -40% to base Defense my butt!)

My Silver Age of COH was during Apr - May 2008, when I was part of the friendliest Supergroup I ever experienced during the entire run of the game, The Legion of Cosmic Heroes.  It was a Homage / Ripoff SG based on DC's Legion of Superheroes, and it was so popular during that month that it was normal for the SG's chat channel to be simultaneously co-ordinating 3 or more team runs.  Many of the players involved created many great looking direct homage characters of their favorite Legionnaires, while I took a different approach, in creating my take on the classic SF series Lensman, building a descendent of the Unit, Krystal
Kinnison as an Illusion / Kinetics Controller and had a blast with her.  Unfortunately, the group broke up between internal fracturing among the SG's leadership and the to be expected Genericized Heroes.

Anyone else have any favorite memories of the greatest MMORPG to ever exist?

Next Year in Paragon City!

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13518 on: December 01, 2014, 11:55:55 PM »
Aye. I know I wouldn't want to be in Nate's shoes right now. Must be killing him not to be able to give us any more news. :/

I think in this case Silence is Golden.

We would hear if things exploded.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13519 on: December 02, 2014, 12:12:50 AM »
I think in this case Silence is Golden.

We would hear if things exploded.

This.  I am eager to return as much as the next person but silence for now is the best answer.

If the deal were to fall through it would be on par with the destruction of Alderaan "A great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices cried out and were suddenly silenced"
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!