Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7351238 times)

ike

• Minion
  • palms spaghetti, knees weak arms spaghetti
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #400 on: April 12, 2014, 09:42:33 PM »
I can safely say that if our beloved city makes a return, I'll be one of the first to appear in mercy.
hat extraordinare

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #401 on: April 13, 2014, 12:11:28 AM »
I wonder if when the game was shot down if everything was left intact. Accounts, Heroes, SG bases, Influence, Merits. Ehancements, etc etc

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #402 on: April 13, 2014, 12:27:33 AM »
I think everyone's wondered that...
On the one hand, it doesn't cost them anything to keep that stuff (Aside from storage for the servers). On the other hand, It does cost them storage for the servers, and those servers could easily be used for other games.

Considering my NCSoft master account no longer reflects the tons of money I'd spent on CoH... My hopes are slim that at least our accounts are intact.

Character wise, I'm not sure how I'd feel having to start over. I've already dealt with the heartbreak of loosing them, So if the game came back and our characters were gone I don't think I'd be too broken up.
On the other hand, the idea of everyone starting fresh is kind of exciting to me.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #403 on: April 13, 2014, 12:36:38 AM »
I think the idea that the game will come back with accounts restored is very extremely unlikely -- if it were to happen, yay, miracles are not unknown... but if you think in any way that COX coming back means your account will be restored, characters, stuff, perks, whatever then I think you're expecting something at the probability level of all the cancer in New York suddenly going into spontaneous remission -- not impossible, but ... IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #404 on: April 13, 2014, 12:42:41 AM »
 Im not expecting it in the least.. I am expecting that if the game came back I would have to start over. What I hope is that in some way I will be able to use Sentinel+ at the very least to upload the costumes I had.. I could play/PL my toons back to 50..

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #405 on: April 13, 2014, 12:53:45 AM »
chat in Atlas,

Oh Hell....COH had CHAT LOL  What these other games have is....well....something else pretending to be a chat box LOL.
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

Triage IV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #406 on: April 13, 2014, 01:06:44 AM »
Not knowing much about this techie stuff, I still don't think it unreasonable to hold hopes that if the game is saved somewhere, that all the other saved data could be saved as well. 

It's seems logical that, even if the different data (game data vs. player data) is stored in different files, it stands to reason that these files are linked somehow.  Like the examples given previously using word processing, it's all tied together somehow. 

Perhaps they used an entirely different computer to store player saved data, but, I would think, if they kept the game data, they too would have held onto the other data as well.  If they didn't delete any of the developer created "stuff," why would they waste time picking through the data to find and delete the saved toons and bases and rewards?

Juss sayin'.
Waiting for the day Paragon returns.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #407 on: April 13, 2014, 01:35:06 AM »
 The needs to be an actual deal first.. Ive seen negotiations and plans go south before.. but hope is a good thing.. maybe the best of things..

I Hope...

ike

• Minion
  • palms spaghetti, knees weak arms spaghetti
« Reply #408 on: April 13, 2014, 01:41:18 AM »
Guys, I think NCSoft is just as interested in bringing back the game as anyone else is, its just that for whatever reason it's not currently an option for them. if they were to strike a deal that suited both parties' wants, They'd probably do it in a heartbeat.
hat extraordinare

BenshowSly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #409 on: April 13, 2014, 02:00:49 AM »
Im not expecting it in the least.. I am expecting that if the game came back I would have to start over. What I hope is that in some way I will be able to use Sentinel+ at the very least to upload the costumes I had.. I could play/PL my toons back to 50..

You didn't need Sentinel just for the outfits, you know?

I have saved every outfit in the game while going to Tailor and doing so recorded them locally on your computer. If you did that and you still have your CoX folder, you still have them.

I know I do!

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #410 on: April 13, 2014, 02:07:28 AM »
You didn't need Sentinel just for the outfits, you know?

I have saved every outfit in the game while going to Tailor and doing so recorded them locally on your computer. If you did that and you still have your CoX folder, you still have them.

I know I do!

yeah well I didnt do that..

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #411 on: April 13, 2014, 02:10:19 AM »
Guys, I think NCSoft is just as interested in bringing back the game as anyone else is, its just that for whatever reason it's not currently an option for them. if they were to strike a deal that suited both parties' wants, They'd probably do it in a heartbeat.

NCsoft has no interest in bringing the game back.

If it wasn't for the alleged involvement in a group of buyers interested in acquiring the CoH IP, NCsoft would have done nothing whatsoever.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #412 on: April 13, 2014, 02:24:29 AM »
NCsoft has no interest in bringing the game back.

If it wasn't for the alleged involvement in a group of buyers interested in acquiring the CoH IP, NCsoft would have done nothing whatsoever.

truth.. which is why I  will temper my excitement.. yet remain hopeful

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #413 on: April 13, 2014, 02:47:05 AM »
I think the idea that the game will come back with accounts restored is very extremely unlikely -- if it were to happen, yay, miracles are not unknown... but if you think in any way that COX coming back means your account will be restored, characters, stuff, perks, whatever then I think you're expecting something at the probability level of all the cancer in New York suddenly going into spontaneous remission -- not impossible, but ... IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN
i'd say it's not that unlikely that account data, and possibly character data, was retained. It wouldn't even require servers, just some hard drives for storage, and individual accounts would require a relatively small amount of storage space. Of the two i would say it seems more likely basic game account data was retained rather than the full character data and even then it's probably equally likely that NCsoft just retained the game code. Although it's not uncommon that companies will hang onto customer data for a very long time. After all storage is very cheap and that sort of data can be pretty valuable.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #414 on: April 13, 2014, 08:25:45 AM »
Oh Hell....COH had CHAT LOL  What these other games have is....well....something else pretending to be a chat box LOL.

:) Maybe I didn't explain it better, maybe I should of said the event chat in Atlas, such as Cossie Comp's, Quiz's, just hanging about chatting with other players, new players while listening to Rogue radio (EU) everyone seemed helpful, funny and interested in helping new players when they asked questions. Maybe I haven't spent enough time on other MMO's to get the same feeling, but I just don't get the vibe from other games when in zones, probably just baised towards CoH ;)

Kelltick

• Boss
« Reply #415 on: April 13, 2014, 09:20:52 AM »
Considering my NCSoft master account no longer reflects the tons of money I'd spent on CoH... My hopes are slim that at least our accounts are intact.

Given that everything related to CoH/V has been wiped from existence on anything and everything official for NC$oft, including our master accounts, it's a safe bet that any and all player data is long, long gone.  They made it clear through that one singular action of wiping our master NC$oft accounts that they wanted nothing more to do with CoH/V.

Because obviously a CoH/V player would not be interested at all in any other offerings NC$oft produced/distributed to leave those master accounts in place.../sarc

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #416 on: April 13, 2014, 12:44:45 PM »
We live in an era of multiple redundant backup of information.

I would hazard a guess that all of the player information is stored somewhere - probably several somewheres.

The trick will be in getting this data - if it does still exist.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #417 on: April 13, 2014, 02:06:40 PM »
While it would be nice to get our existing toons back...
If the game could be restored, I wouldnt mind at all starting over fresh.

To be honest,  it might actually draw more new players in if they knew they were starting out on the same level
as the veteran players.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

BenshowSly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #418 on: April 13, 2014, 02:26:06 PM »

To be honest,  it might actually draw more new players in if they knew they were starting out on the same level
as the veteran players.

I don't think it would change much anything. It's not like it was changing anything that you were playing with people over your level or under your level. The system was built great enough to make it happen and make it fun for both parties.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #419 on: April 13, 2014, 02:49:45 PM »

as the veteran players.
That level parity wouldn't last for long with veteran players who are accomplished at both the gameplay and understanding the underlying mechanics and values. It's still not a terrible idea and would be a necessity if all the account data was deleted. (The more i consider it the less likely that seems. Data storage is dirt cheap and data is valuable.) Also, as already stated, CoH was one game where level was not a significant barrier to teaming.
Some veteran players would refuse to return if they can't have all their stuff back, that's a given, but i would happily start from scratch creating new versions of favorite characters and completely new characters just like i was constantly doing for the entire time that CoH was runnning. The only thing that would really annoy me is if i had to unlock all the perks and costume packs i'd acquired over the years, from pre-orders to special editions to packs purchased outright. If the game was restarted with all accounts reset i'd hope that the new dev team would either unlock all older content/perks for all players or that relatively simple ways to unlock it in game would be added.

tl;dr- A clean slate is fine with me as long as reacquiring my old unlocks is cheap and relatively easy.

Edit: While all this speculation is fun and all if a deal was finalized next week i would expect it to take another 3-12 months for the game to be relaunched, so there'd be plenty of time to suss out all the details.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 02:58:54 PM by Nyx Nought Nothing »
So far so good. Onward and upward!