Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7293106 times)

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #440 on: April 14, 2014, 09:11:35 PM »
Point. Not that starting over would be a big deal. Designing and leveling a new character to 50 is most of the fun.

Agreed, in fact I would be a little excited to be honest.  I would miss my main but he could be re-made.  Plus think about it, truly getting to play the game again.  We had lots of alts, but an alt is much easier to level with a main to fund him.  Plus its been awhile since all of us have played.  It would be like playing a new game again.  Especially if it started at like i24, that would be cool a new game with 8 years worth of content and story to explore and live all over again like its brand new.  I am not sure what the chances of CoH coming back are.  But I must admit this thread always gives me a small amount of hope, and just feeling hope again is nice.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #441 on: April 15, 2014, 08:24:29 AM »
While it would be nice to get our existing toons back...
If the game could be restored, I wouldnt mind at all starting over fresh.

To be honest,  it might actually draw more new players in if they knew they were starting out on the same level
as the veteran players.
As someone else mentioned, that would last...about a day.   :D   There are some serious gamers in the CoH community who would be lvl 50 in record time.  (Not me...I could never keep up with people like that)

When the game shut down, I didn't lose just the ability to play it.   I lost the 8 years of building characters on two accounts to the point where I had endless options when I signed on.   I seriously would often have to pause and think about what kind of mood I was in when I got to the sign-in, server, and character screens.  It was a special feeling of comfort with options laid out in front of me.   That included the option to make a new character.   A "fresh start" is only the last option.

"Starting fresh" is better than nothing, but it does fill me with a sense of loss....and weariness.  Do I have it in me to perform that 8 years worth of effort again?   I'll have to admit right up front I'll be looking for every shortcut there is to get back to where I was.   Anyone irritated by PL'ers is going to hate me.    8)   I'm just one of those people who played their lvl 50 characters almost exclusively.   That's when they got "fun" to me.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #442 on: April 15, 2014, 11:07:21 AM »
As someone else mentioned, that would last...about a day.   :D   There are some serious gamers in the CoH community who would be lvl 50 in record time.  (Not me...I could never keep up with people like that)

When the game shut down, I didn't lose just the ability to play it.   I lost the 8 years of building characters on two accounts to the point where I had endless options when I signed on.   I seriously would often have to pause and think about what kind of mood I was in when I got to the sign-in, server, and character screens.  It was a special feeling of comfort with options laid out in front of me.   That included the option to make a new character.   A "fresh start" is only the last option.

"Starting fresh" is better than nothing, but it does fill me with a sense of loss....and weariness.  Do I have it in me to perform that 8 years worth of effort again?   I'll have to admit right up front I'll be looking for every shortcut there is to get back to where I was.   Anyone irritated by PL'ers is going to hate me.    8)   I'm just one of those people who played their lvl 50 characters almost exclusively.   That's when they got "fun" to me.

Yeah, it will be a task to get back to where I was, but considering the grind you experience in every other game out there... I dont mind that much.  I'm guessing my first max level will be my Fire/SS Brute - he's my money bags that I used to slot out all my other toons.   Might take a while for prices to go back up to pre-shutdown levels though.

To be honest, I only had a handful of toons I played on a regular basis:
SS/Inv tank
Fire/SS Brute
Plant/Storm Troller
AR/Fire Blaster
MA/Shield Scrapper
Fire/Rad Troller
I pulled the rest ouf of mothballs every now and then, but these were my favorites.  Re-creating these few will be my priority.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

BenshowSly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #443 on: April 15, 2014, 12:35:55 PM »
I think we are starting to lose ourselves in all this now.

I mean, like someone told me once in this exact topic, I understand there are wishes and hopes on certain things but when I see someone saying they would be frustrated by not having their characters back, it sounds like a "I want it all or I don't want it at all" (I know, it's not everyone who said that who sounded that way but some did).

For now, don't forget that while we look so close of having the game back, it is still so far at the same time. I think asking for the game is already a big thing, especially if things have to be coded on a new engine (or whatever I was able to understand from it).

I have been part of the beta myself and never stopped since day one so yes, I can understand that some says they lost work from 8 years but, at the same time, it is not work but a game and I think it should be fun to be able to do what we were doing since the beginning of CoX. It should be fun to do it again. If not, then the option of doing something else is always possible.

The main goal is to get our home back. Having back our characters and such are, to my opinion, a very far secondary goal.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #444 on: April 15, 2014, 12:40:17 PM »
I think we are starting to lose ourselves in all this now.

I mean, like someone told me once in this exact topic, I understand there are wishes and hopes on certain things but when I see someone saying they would be frustrated by not having their characters back, it sounds like a "I want it all or I don't want it at all" (I know, it's not everyone who said that who sounded that way but some did).

For now, don't forget that while we look so close of having the game back, it is still so far at the same time. I think asking for the game is already a big thing, especially if things have to be coded on a new engine (or whatever I was able to understand from it).

I have been part of the beta myself and never stopped since day one so yes, I can understand that some says they lost work from 8 years but, at the same time, it is not work but a game and I think it should be fun to be able to do what we were doing since the beginning of CoX. It should be fun to do it again. If not, then the option of doing something else is always possible.

The main goal is to get our home back. Having back our characters and such are, to my opinion, a very far secondary goal.
Right. We may not get the game with our characters back. We may not even get the game itself, but only the IP for it. In both of these scenarios we need to rebuilt. Most of us simply do not know at this point and those involved in the middle likely cannot speak of it or else sabotage the efforts.

Recall, what killed our game boils down to 1 signature, a single man who refused to sign. He was spooked at the last minute. None of us wish to spook anybody.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #445 on: April 15, 2014, 01:48:23 PM »
Just to note... losing our characters would be at least in some ways fun to replace.

What will really hurt, is the loss of the Mission Architect story arcs. Not the farming missions, those are easy to create, but the good arcs that tell fun stories.

BenshowSly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #446 on: April 15, 2014, 01:51:17 PM »
Just to note... losing our characters would be at least in some ways fun to replace.

What will really hurt, is the loss of the Mission Architect story arcs. Not the farming missions, those are easy to create, but the good arcs that tell fun stories.

They are in your local files somewhere if you still have them.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #447 on: April 15, 2014, 02:29:42 PM »
I only ever had three level 50 characters. I was an altaholic, so losing a bunch of stuff would be fine for me - I didn't get a chance to play all the pre-50 content, so maybe I actually would the second time around? Even if I didn't, I tended to get bored with my 50s after a certain amount of time, even after Incarnate stuff was added.

Part of the reason I drifted from CoH before the shutdown announcement was Incarnate stuff. I really preferred going through the myriad storylines, and creating characters. I did not enjoy grinding the same exact mess of rushed through combat over and over again just to get better powers. I know some people enjoyed trials, but I just can't get behind game mechanics like that. "Do you want to read the dialog, or know what's going on? Too bad! There are 50 players here, and all of them except for you are just here for the loot! Kill everything and get your reward - and then do it again!" (And again and again and again, ad infinitum)

The extreme lack of information on the wiki about the story or dialog of trials is testament to this. It appears that no one was able to collect it, because they were rushed through for loot. Not my cup of tea.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #448 on: April 15, 2014, 04:03:26 PM »
Right. We may not get the game with our characters back. We may not even get the game itself, but only the IP for it. In both of these scenarios we need to rebuilt. Most of us simply do not know at this point and those involved in the middle likely cannot speak of it or else sabotage the efforts.

Recall, what killed our game boils down to 1 signature, a single man who refused to sign. He was spooked at the last minute. None of us wish to spook anybody.
Slow and easy wins the race. I try to reassure folks that things are being done but it will take time. An effort is being made but I know we all don't want another failure. Hang in there silence is not lack of effort.

I know in the past there was nothing being done at some point - but that is not true now so hang in there.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #449 on: April 15, 2014, 05:04:06 PM »
Slow and easy wins the race. I try to reassure folks that things are being done but it will take time. An effort is being made but I know we all don't want another failure. Hang in there silence is not lack of effort.

I know in the past there was nothing being done at some point - but that is not true now so hang in there.

We're hanging on, trust me  ;) We appreciate all the efforts people are doing to get the game back, everytime I see a post from you Ironwolf my heart starts to beat a little faster :D

BenshowSly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #450 on: April 15, 2014, 05:13:16 PM »
We're hanging on, trust me  ;) We appreciate all the efforts people are doing to get the game back, everytime I see a post from you Ironwolf my heart starts to beat a little faster :D

I know someone who is in love...  ;D

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #451 on: April 15, 2014, 05:36:03 PM »
Sunday was my 56th birthday. I would have liked nothing better than to be in Paragon City again. Hopefully by the time my 57th rolls around we will all be able to fly in Paragon again.

Triage IV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #452 on: April 15, 2014, 06:42:12 PM »

I know someone who is in love...  ;D

I'm with Saint Sanguinor...Ironwolf's posts are magic. 

Thank you, Ironwolf...and those behind the scenes.

AND, I'm with mrultimate, I'm coming up to my 49th birthday, and would love nothing more than to stand with you in a newly reopened Paragon City.
Waiting for the day Paragon returns.

BenshowSly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #453 on: April 15, 2014, 06:45:05 PM »
I'm with Saint Sanguinor...Ironwolf's posts are magic. 

Thank you, Ironwolf...and those behind the scenes.

AND, I'm with mrultimate, I'm coming up to my 49th birthday, and would love nothing more than to stand with you in a newly reopened Paragon City.

I was just making a little joke. Nothing to take too seriously. :)

Triage IV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #454 on: April 15, 2014, 07:15:21 PM »
No worries...I didn't take it as if you were saying anything bad or to be meant badly.  I was just agreeing.

But, now that we're talking about it, I'm renaming all my children Ironwolf.

;D
Waiting for the day Paragon returns.

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #455 on: April 16, 2014, 12:46:02 AM »
I only ever had three level 50 characters. I was an altaholic, so losing a bunch of stuff would be fine for me - I didn't get a chance to play all the pre-50 content, so maybe I actually would the second time around? Even if I didn't, I tended to get bored with my 50s after a certain amount of time, even after Incarnate stuff was added.

<snip for space>

"Do you want to read the dialog, or know what's going on? Too bad! There are 50 players here, and all of them except for you are just here for the loot! Kill everything and get your reward - and then do it again!" (And again and again and again, ad infinitum)

The extreme lack of information on the wiki about the story or dialog of trials is testament to this. It appears that no one was able to collect it, because they were rushed through for loot. Not my cup of tea.

I quite agree....I had several 50's.....but after a while....never played them except for one Emp/Def (Mercy Vengeance).   I loved the process of starting fresh with  new toon....I never RP'd much.....but I always worked out an elaborate bio for each toon...part of the fun.

I would occasionally use a toss away toon to farm with friends...but the story lines...whether solo or with a team...is what made it for me...

Actually, I should say that it was part of it...a large part of it was simply the people...the players themselves.     Having to start over would not bother me in the slightest.....I WOULD recreate some of my older toons...and just enjoy the process all over again :)
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #456 on: April 16, 2014, 01:34:34 AM »
They are in your local files somewhere if you still have them.

Got all Story Arc files intact for now!  Should the game ever go back live, PENGUIN, Waddle's Revenge, Waddle to the Big Top, and Waddle On will all see creation anew if possible!  :)

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #457 on: April 16, 2014, 01:37:04 AM »
busy looking over my builds... I would pretty much remake everything I had.. i might make a little tweak here and there.. I might remake my Rad/Rad defender as a rad/rad corruptor.. I would definitely make the Grav/Dark Dominator I ever did.. I would also make the all human warshade I never got to make.. and I would have to get a stalker and possibly a fortunata to 50.. the only things I never got to 50.. warshade/stalker/fortunata..
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:00:31 AM by HEATSTROKE »

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #458 on: April 16, 2014, 06:03:03 AM »
This is exciting.  I really hope the deal goes through.  I really miss my adventures as a super.  One thing I'd like to ask.  Even if the deal does go though and we do get our city back, I'd like to strongly encourage the SCORE people to continue.  We lost our city once; we could easily lose it again.  The only place I'm going to feel my avatars are completely safe will be on my own private server or standalone.  (I.E.: In MY hands.)  Make no mistake -- I'll have my wallet out and ready to sign up if the game comes back.  I just want the comfort of knowing I'm not going to lose the ability to play again.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #459 on: April 16, 2014, 06:26:54 AM »
Yeah, it will be a task to get back to where I was, but considering the grind you experience in every other game out there... I dont mind that much.  I'm guessing my first max level will be my Fire/SS Brute - he's my money bags that I used to slot out all my other toons.   Might take a while for prices to go back up to pre-shutdown levels though.

To be honest, I only had a handful of toons I played on a regular basis:
SS/Inv tank
Fire/SS Brute
Plant/Storm Troller
AR/Fire Blaster
MA/Shield Scrapper
Fire/Rad Troller
I pulled the rest ouf of mothballs every now and then, but these were my favorites.  Re-creating these few will be my priority.
I'm thinking my Controllers would come first....love love love Controllers.

Ice/Storm
Fire/Rad
Earth/Kin
Mind/Storm
Fire/Kin (maybe this one first to get the others back up to speed)
Ill/Rad
Plant/TA

I played them all the time.  Never got tired of them.

After that, the Dark/Dark Defender would be back in service.....LOVED her as well.

I'm sure I would get the itch for all-out orange numbers and constant risk of debt....so the Blasters would be back:

Fire/Fire
AR/Dev
Ice/Ice
En/En

Then maybe the Scrappers last:

Spines/Dark
BS/SR
DB/Inv

Finally the AT I wasn't very good at...the Tankers:

Inv/SS
Fire/Fire