Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210145 times)

CG

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2014, 01:42:12 PM »
A simple question though, why would they want to keep the engine? Was it in case they decided to do something with it later?
That would be my guess.  Unlike the IP, the engine can be re-used for different games. 

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2014, 02:43:46 PM »
The reason for why they wanted the game engine and not the IP I can only speculate on.

When they bought the game from Cryptic it included both the IP and engine. The only actual hard asset they got from the deal was the engine. The IP only has worth within the 1 game. The engine may be used for other MMO's or to change the engine to update it.

I can see why you would sell the IP and game for peanuts and yet hold the engine for several million.

alphajaybo

• Lieutenant
  • The one The only Alpha Protocol V2.9
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2014, 04:11:09 PM »
So the plan is to get someone to either buy Just the IP for CoH or simply just lease it from them?

For some reason i feel really happy and optimistic about this, sure its a longshot. But its better than simply just giving up and letting the game stay dead!
Daoc CoH and WoW

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2014, 04:56:52 PM »
The idea is to explain that the game is still viable. Explain the Earth and Beyond effort and the agreement they have with EA.

Show the $600,000+ that was raised by the community for an unseen Spiritual successor.

Explain it is certain that at some point a reverse engineered game may appear. Then show the value of having the original game released and having the game engine leased for a nominal fee.

I like capitalism and there would be incredible good will and millions of dollars of free advertising for such a move by NCSoft.

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2014, 05:53:09 PM »
Not to mention the tens of thousands of ecstatic ;D CoHV players to get their city back!  And, it would shed a totally different light on NCSoft.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2014, 06:32:26 PM »
Hm. I think my post didn't make it.  :-[

I thought that Cryptic just leased the engine to NcSoft for COH as well as gave them the right to use it in another game.

If NcSoft had plans to use the engine in another game you'd think they would have kept the studio that was expert in using it ... 0.o

Still, my doubts aside, I would be happy to get our game back in one form or the other. :D

alphajaybo

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2014, 06:35:58 PM »
Daoc CoH and WoW

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2014, 01:59:46 PM »
I'm definitely looking forward to this.  I hope NCSoft will get over themselves and see that this is a good idea for everyone.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2014, 08:16:17 PM »

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2014, 08:28:42 PM »
Meh, if this works I'll be damned... Because it seems phony and more a longshot than anything (my opinion). Shouldn't we, like, ask if they are open for discussion, before working on anything?

But I'll repeat what I told a long time ago. If it's a matter of running a game, we can do it. If it's a matter of reimplementing the game in an engine, we can do it. If it's a matter of recoding the engine, we can do it. Hell, I even have started doing the last one alone, in a week the framework was nearing completion as much as being able to load 90% of the powers in the latest City Power Database (although in a Titan-particular format). Even if it was only considering mechanics of i7 and prior, and nothing geometric or physics-related, it's still something.

Again, my opinion.
Yeeessss....

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2014, 10:39:40 PM »
Phony?

I had spoken to some of the original team a few times. All of them slowly left, except Rae. I spoke to her about it and she gave me some inside information that I have passed on without violating things I was asked to keep out of the public. Let's say I get a name to contact and I publically mention it - now 500 people spam the person - how will that look?

You want details of who I am? I am just a system admin at State Farm Insurance. I am also known as Sir Michael Au Cluin of House Ironwolf in the SCA.
http://chivalry.midrealm.org/peer_new.php?input=152

All of my personal data is there. I have nothing to hide, make no promises and will continue whether you agree or not. I have asked for one thing - help or potential help if it works. You say just talk first and if you go in without a plan and without a clue - the game will remain shut. Other people have done this before and I have asked some of them for help in how to approach it.

I want no money. I don't want to run the game personally as I just bought a house built in 1871 and a barn built in 1890. They both need work to restore. However if it means I use some of my time to get the game back and find skilled peope to run it and maybe continue development - awesome.

If they laugh at me and say what an idiot, I still tried. I waited, I watched and I checked the site several times a week. Nothing was happening and now "something" is however lame or far-fetched it is from my heart and I will try.

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2014, 11:00:38 PM »
Mister Bison:  This may well be a longshot, but phony? I seriously doubt it! Why you would take a personal wack at someone's integrity like that is beyond me. 
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2014, 04:13:53 AM »
Agreed, the worst thing that could happen is NCSoft says "No."

That's it, he's only asking if people are willing to help IF we're giving the green light by NCSoft.

I for one applaud his efforts and if I had the time. I'd offer to help, I mean if the game was up and running. I could help with in game stuff like getting people unstuck or something. I guess, since most of what I did in game was farm and it'd be nothing for me to exit mission. Go to another one, teleport someone across the map, then go back to farming. :P

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2014, 01:15:49 PM »
A few thoughts:
  • Will an LLC be planned or started in order to facilitate the IP sale/lease and subsequent operation of the game (servers, marketing, development, etc...)?
  • Is a detailed business plan being formulated that includes intent and viability?
  • Will the pitch include the above information?
  • Has fundraising been taken into consideration to cover the IP sale/lease and game operation or will corporate backers be courted?  If an existing company is to be utilized for spearheading, wouldn't it be a better idea to pitch said existing company and then to NCSoft with said company spearheading?
  • If the pitch or resulting terms/contract require NCSofts continued involvement to any degree as overseers they will more than likely want compensation and as a result this endeavor will need to generate money.  How much money they will require is yet TBD and ideas as to how the game will generate money will need to be included in the pitch.
Please don't get me wrong, I love the idea and it could get traction, but IMO it requires an LLC or existing company to be included in the planning and subsequent pitch.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2014, 03:17:34 PM »
A few thoughts:
  • Will an LLC be planned or started in order to facilitate the IP sale/lease and subsequent operation of the game (servers, marketing, development, etc...)?
  • Is a detailed business plan being formulated that includes intent and viability?
  • Will the pitch include the above information?
  • Has fundraising been taken into consideration to cover the IP sale/lease and game operation or will corporate backers be courted?  If an existing company is to be utilized for spearheading, wouldn't it be a better idea to pitch said existing company and then to NCSoft with said company spearheading?
  • If the pitch or resulting terms/contract require NCSofts continued involvement to any degree as overseers they will more than likely want compensation and as a result this endeavor will need to generate money.  How much money they will require is yet TBD and ideas as to how the game will generate money will need to be included in the pitch.
Please don't get me wrong, I love the idea and it could get traction, but IMO it requires an LLC or existing company to be included in the planning and subsequent pitch.

This is exactly why I am trying to search out other groups who have restored games. I want to write to the NCSoft representative and have a plan in place. Not every detail figured out but some of the main obvious things addressed. Look if we can get some people involved how are skilled in handling this type of negotiations - I would be happy to exit stage left.

I have been thinking about the game and its future for quite a while now. In reality the game has little monetary value. It is however, to me like a work of art or a statue and has intrinsic value of its own. I applaud the new games being built and hope they pan out and all 3 have some level of success - having said that I think having City of Heroes running as a reference is valuable.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2014, 08:20:33 PM »
I sent an email to a former officer of NC Interactive explaining our goals and to ask his opinion on this effort.

I also asked for permission to post his reply, for good or ill. Hopefully he will answer and let us see what possible hope there is in trying this longshot.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2014, 08:35:51 PM »
Maybe the reply might look like...

But seriously though, there's no harm in asking. :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 08:50:50 PM by LadyShin »
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

alphajaybo

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2014, 08:41:56 PM »
Iron wolf i Pm'd you some things that may be useful. I'm not sure if it sent though, sent it through my phone which is playing up at the moment
Daoc CoH and WoW

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2014, 10:49:17 PM »
As a plan B, could you also float the option to them of just purchasing the IP?  We have 3 ongoing projects that could possibly be modified
to be CoH2 and I would really like to have our old villain groups back.  (assuming/hoping  the devs are willing of course to shift directions storywise )

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2014, 11:16:36 PM »