Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7295693 times)

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #8820 on: August 15, 2014, 12:52:16 AM »
If we can get our character data back, cool beans. If not, I'm perfectly fine with starting fresh. I'd actually enjoy the chance to experience it all again from scratch. :)
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #8821 on: August 15, 2014, 12:54:01 AM »
...it will all be moot once coh2 comes out

I'm not so sure about that, but I guess it all depends on how things evolve.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #8822 on: August 15, 2014, 12:57:29 AM »
Anyone else getting the lingering feeling that Ncsoft is just going to pull out right as we're about to get it?

I really hope i'm wrong.

Nope. Bout 6 weeks ago I had a sudden feeling what whatever was happening was set in stone now, and not going to be bad. I've learned to trust that.

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8823 on: August 15, 2014, 01:08:27 AM »
if they cant get it back they might consider giving everyone the loyalty perks and costume packs. that way people dont have to look at buying them a second time. it will all be moot once coh2 comes out

There have been a lot ideas here in the past that address vet rewards and some badges, many of them very good ones. What about people with anniversary badges, or say the Bug Finder badge? You're not going to be able buy those. And losing my base, that would take another five years, at least, to rebuild. As far as CoH2 goes, it may just be an upgrade to the Unreal engine, and I'd imagine, all you data would be retained.
I am an ass, but don't we all love a good ass!

General Sherman

• Minion
  • Drop Maggot!
« Reply #8824 on: August 15, 2014, 01:12:10 AM »
I'm of the mindset that "we shall see what we shall see when there is actually something to see". Until then, I will continue to muster my troops in Icon and wait patiently with hope.
We shall see what we shall see, when there is actually something to see.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8825 on: August 15, 2014, 01:22:11 AM »
I'm of the mindset that "we shall see what we shall see when there is actually something to see". Until then, I will continue to muster my troops in Icon and wait patiently with hope.
agreed, either way we win

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8826 on: August 15, 2014, 01:25:10 AM »

I agree to.  I'll just busy myself messing with skyrim and fallout new vegas in the mean time :).
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8827 on: August 15, 2014, 01:33:14 AM »
If you look at if from the perspective of the potential buyers, you're going want to push for character restoration. Sure, people will come back, but when those people who will probably never be able to recover what they had in the past, you have to think about player retention. The majority of people you're trying to sell the game to are vets. They want their stuff back. Maybe we'll get it back, maybe not. I'm guessing the new team is going to press for it.

Sorry, but I think this is completely backwards. Having knowledgeable vets online, playing and rebuilding their empires means: traffic, subscriptions, store purchases, and that sort of thing. As much as it would sting, I'm more than willing to start from scratch if it gives the new owners income, sign-up counts, street cred, or whatever else they need.

If we get the game back, I am in 100%. I sort of expect to start from nothing, and I've already decided that's perfectly okay as long as I get to play again. Hell, after 2 years, I bet my skills are jello. Starting from level 1 is the best way to get back the twitchy, eye-jerking focus I loved about this game.

So, yeah... Give me CoX, up and running, and tell me I have to start from NOTHING. Ya know what? Fine. I have my game back, and I'll love it.

NegativeIQ

• Minion
« Reply #8828 on: August 15, 2014, 01:34:08 AM »

Im witchu there

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #8829 on: August 15, 2014, 01:36:04 AM »
Anyone else getting the lingering feeling that Ncsoft is just going to pull out right as we're about to get it?
They're not in it for petty trolling of their customer base. The key thing to remember is that they're in it for the MONEY. And if selling the IP gets them money and does not damage their rep, then, well... they'll probably go for it.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8830 on: August 15, 2014, 01:54:04 AM »
Sorry, but I think this is completely backwards. Having knowledgeable vets online, playing and rebuilding their empires means: traffic, subscriptions, store purchases, and that sort of thing. As much as it would sting, I'm more than willing to start from scratch if it gives the new owners income, sign-up counts, street cred, or whatever else they need.

If we get the game back, I am in 100%. I sort of expect to start from nothing, and I've already decided that's perfectly okay as long as I get to play again. Hell, after 2 years, I bet my skills are jello. Starting from level 1 is the best way to get back the twitchy, eye-jerking focus I loved about this game.

So, yeah... Give me CoX, up and running, and tell me I have to start from NOTHING. Ya know what? Fine. I have my game back, and I'll love it.

Ya know what, as much as I think you're wrong, I'm not going to bother. This has been done over and over again. Not worth my time. We'll know soon enough. Cheers!
I am an ass, but don't we all love a good ass!

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #8831 on: August 15, 2014, 02:01:12 AM »
What about people with anniversary badges, or say the Bug Finder badge?

I never liked the idea of either of those badges to be honest. I think that all players, new and old, should be able to obtain all badges through their efforts. To tell new players that they will never be able to achieve something that old players have is a counter productive action in my eyes (anniversary badges). Bug hunter felt like it was 10% about finding a major bug, and 90% how the devs felt about you personally.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

Mageman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8832 on: August 15, 2014, 02:16:04 AM »
I hate to throw a wet blanket on the party celebrating the return of CoX, but there are still many questions to be answered before we all put on our party hats.

Most important to me is all my Veteran rewards I paid for with my subscriptions (yes, more than one)! These are things I paid NCSoft for, and I still feel it should be included in the sale. Come on NCSoft - show your customers some loyalty by trying to include that information! Will I buy a NCSoft game to get back my account information? YES! Do I feel I should? NO!

Will NCSoft be directly involved with the return or will it be at the discretion of the new Devs? If NCSoft is directly involved, I am probably going to be less involved in paying for CoX.

My characters, their bases, etc., well...  that's secondary to me. The bases will be a real pain to restore, but it's do-able. I'm not a real min-maxer, and I sold my purples for INF so I could outfit my characters with good (not great) IOs. I tried playing the market, but it was too boring.

If we don't get our characters back, or - due to fewer servers - we have to import characters from our accounts, there should be an initial limit of creating or importing ONE PER DAY! This will allow everyone a chance to get a few of the great names and not let someone reserve them all by creating lots of characters on the first day. After a month or two, this restriction should be removed, but initially, let it be happen.

I found myself playing characters up to around 30, then going onto another alt. My first level 50 was a Fire/Kin controller (pre-ED) that I used to unlock the Khelds (I found the Khelds too much of a pain to play at low levels - especially when they were new, so I moved on to other characters). The first level 50 that I really enjoyed playing all the way up was my Bots/Dark mastermind shortly after CoV came out. Now I'm really the type of guy that likes to play Heroes, the MM was just too much fun not to play. I was a strong voice for the ability to "switch sides" shortly after CoV came out and they said the game wouldn't support it....

Speaking of bases, I have bases with THOUSANDS of salvage in them. When bases first came out, salvage was "extra garbage" that your character was given, and pretty useless. But the salvage racks in your base would hold 999 of them. I had many full when they changed it to a max of 30. So you had 999 in them, and you could pull salvage out but you couldn't put it back until you got under 30. A friend of mine IRL used to argue with me about our bases. I wanted to get them up and running with portals to every zone. He'd log in and see lots of prestige just sitting there and he'd go in and "decorate" with the prestige I was saving to upgrade something so we could go to more zones. So I would go in and sell off his decorations (and decoration rooms) so I could get that something we really needed. Eventually, he agreed to let me control the base until we had it fully functional, then he could go in afterwards and decorate as he felt necessary. If I recall correctly, it took 15 teleport pads to get to all the zones Blue-side. The hardest zone to get was RWZ - you had that one badge under the shield on the ship. You had to wait until people were doing a raid to get it. What a pain!

Speaking of which, if you can get your characters back to a new server, will you be able to import your base with him/her? Hmmm....

Well, I guess this ends my ranting. Enjoy!
My Reality:
#1 I love my wife!
#2 I miss CoX!
#3 Refer to rule #1!
#4 I seem to have an itch!

Last Known Hero

• Minion
« Reply #8833 on: August 15, 2014, 02:25:13 AM »

I really hope i'm wrong.

This is a good point though, articles had interviews from the developers that said that they had attempted to purchase the game themselves, and had to jump through hoops for NCsoft that didn't pan out as NCsoft backed out at the end. Now I'm sure a lot of this could be developers own point of view as to what happened but I wouldn't completely rule the situation out.

I also read on here that this mystery team has gotten further than any team yet, so that might be a good sign if completely accurate.

I think cautious optimism would be best, but still hope and support.
Contender's Lil Bro - Stone/NRG Tank
Freedom

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8834 on: August 15, 2014, 02:55:28 AM »
Ya know what, as much as I think you're wrong, I'm not going to bother. This has been done over and over again. Not worth my time. We'll know soon enough. Cheers!

bingo

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8835 on: August 15, 2014, 03:12:30 AM »
See, THIS is the report was I was asking for a few pages back when people jumped all over my ass for asking.

Thank you, IW, for providing it anyways. It's great when you can break a long silence with a touching base update like this one.
NOTE: Nobody "jumped all over your ass". You were told to look at the first post. Also: simply don't ask about news. Ironwolf will provide news as it comes in. He can't give you news if there's no news to give, and you shouldn't expect him to. He's not a machine you put quarters in and he spits out an update. Keep an eye on the first post. If there's news, it's there.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Harq

• Underling
« Reply #8836 on: August 15, 2014, 03:26:32 AM »
This is funny.  Reading posts for years and religiously following this post for months and now my second post ever...  I must really really love this game....

That being said I finally looked into the hype of Icon a month ago and messed around with that.  I'm sad that's all there is but I have my list for when the game gets up and running.  I'm going on the premise we all start from scratch, just can't see it viable otherwise. Apart from my Regular play toons I realized I'll have created around 40 of them.  That's insane cause I want to play them all as well and I was never a farmer or power leveler to begin with.  I'm pushing 40 with two kids and when they go to bed I play GTA V and go on Icon.  I'm crazy.

So, on that topic I have a crazy topic that has nothing to do with food (I don't get it. Sorry)

When COX was active, I created a toon that kinda looked like Captain Planet....  I say kinda cause I made it a tribute to minute episode of Robot Chicken.  I named him Ted Turner and I made the costume reflect Ted Turner when he dressed as such.  Once in game all I did was have him run around like an idiot yelling CAPTAIN PLANET!!!!  It helped pass the time when I couldn't really play long enough for a serious session.  Some loved it, some called me names.  Didn't care, if you saw that episode you can guess what my troll reply was for the haters.

So my challenge is what you (I know we all have one) created as a fun joke, whether in looks or story (from some of these posts we have a few clever individuals) or anything. I look forward to giggling silently to anyone who replies...

ya know, where else can a game be so customizable that we can do this successfully.  Thanks for the positive update Wolfie!!!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #8837 on: August 15, 2014, 03:26:53 AM »
He's not a machine you put quarters in and he spits out an update. Keep an eye on the first post. If there's news, it's there.

* Codewalker puts a quarter in Ironwolf to see what happens

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8838 on: August 15, 2014, 03:31:55 AM »
* Codewalker puts a quarter in Ironwolf to see what happens
*BEEP* NOT IN SERVICE *BEEP*
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8839 on: August 15, 2014, 03:32:53 AM »
So my challenge is what you (I know we all have one) created as a fun joke, whether in looks or story (from some of these posts we have a few clever individuals) or anything. I look forward to giggling silently to anyone who replies...

I made two joke versions of Superman. The first I made as fat as I could get him, and named him Supperman.

The second was based on the scene, in the first Christopher Reeve "Superman" movie, where Lois was interviewing him. At the end of the interview, she watches him fly away, and says, "What a super man", which (if I recall) was where he got the name in that film. I moved the scene to southern California, where she watched him fly away, and said, "What a gnarly dude." So I named him Gnarlydude.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.