Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7295764 times)

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #8800 on: August 14, 2014, 08:02:13 PM »
Asheron's Call II I know has.  I think there are 1 or 2 others.

So, very rare but not unheard of.

Thanks! 8)
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #8801 on: August 14, 2014, 08:07:06 PM »
You can add Hellgate: London to that list as well.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #8802 on: August 14, 2014, 08:15:48 PM »
It might be interesting to see why these mmos were killed and then resurrected.

???
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #8803 on: August 14, 2014, 08:45:41 PM »
It might be interesting to see why these mmos were killed and then resurrected.

???

Well, I know in the case of Hellgate: London, the original development team either went under or bankrupt or got dissolved (can't remember exactly--this is off the top of my head), so the servers for it were shut down. Another company bought the rights to the game and made their own servers for it. What's interesting is...most people on the gaming forums out there still believe that Hellgate: London is no longer playable. To me that says the Korean company that bought it isn't doing a really good job advertising that the game's back up.

According to their website here, they've got servers up and running...
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #8804 on: August 14, 2014, 08:56:43 PM »
you can also add Apb to the list
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #8805 on: August 14, 2014, 09:05:46 PM »
"Okay, we've determined you guys know that a server isn't just a position on the volleyball team, DNS is not your genetic structure, C# is more than just a musical note, and a backbone doesn't refer to your spine. Now let's move on to the real challenge"
That sounds hilarious, but is actually neccessary. CF http://blog.codinghorror.com/why-cant-programmers-program/
Finally, we have a clue who the new developers are...

Giant Monsters are in support... Babbage? Lusca?

Who is behind this?
Always a Nemesis Mender Silos plot.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8806 on: August 14, 2014, 10:10:02 PM »
Anyone else getting the lingering feeling that Ncsoft is just going to pull out right as we're about to get it?

I really hope i'm wrong.

Fleur_uk

• Lieutenant
  • @Fleur_Eriss
« Reply #8807 on: August 14, 2014, 10:13:25 PM »
Popping on to do my daily check the forums...

As I do everyday, but just most of the time quietly and from afar.

Just wanted to say Hi.

and that

I miss CoX. 

A lot.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:23:14 PM by Fleur_uk »

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #8808 on: August 14, 2014, 10:28:25 PM »
Anyone else getting the lingering feeling that Ncsoft is just going to pull out right as we're about to get it?

I really hope i'm wrong.
I don't have that feeling, I feel that NcSoft will let the team buy cox and cox 2. Also if they were going to do it they would have done it before giving the team a chance to show they can take care of cox, just my 2 inf :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8809 on: August 14, 2014, 10:31:38 PM »
I don't have that feeling, I feel that NcSoft will let the team buy cox and cox 2. Also if they were going to do it they would have done it before giving the team a chance to show they can take care of cox, just my 2 inf :)

I know I sound like 'that guy', just the people I've talked to (Not part of the team, I will not disclose who on the public forum, only they worked on CoH) to didn't sound like the NCsoft folks were exactly trustworthy.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8810 on: August 14, 2014, 10:32:16 PM »

I really hope i'm wrong.

For some reason this came to mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMhNA7ikqRs

Waffles

• Elite Boss

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #8812 on: August 14, 2014, 10:39:51 PM »

I really hope i'm wrong.
Nope. i doubt NCsoft will pull out as long as they feel the deal is viable and i'm pretty confident that they'd like to sell CoH and make some money off of what is otherwise a useless collection of copyrights, trademarks, and stored data.
That does not automatically mean this deal will work out; there are many potential issues and i expect NCsoft will be quite exacting and diligent in making sure they're satisfied that the deal is solid, but i doubt there will be any last minute cut and running. So they might pull out at some point if they're unsatisfied with the deal, that's true. However i think the closer the deal is to closing the less NCsoft would want to pull out.
So fingers, toes, arms, legs, and eyes crossed.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

sindyr

• Boss
« Reply #8813 on: August 14, 2014, 11:22:53 PM »
UPDATE

I did contact the team yesterday and got this reply back:

Things are moving along. We should have things worth showing fairly soon, made a great leap forward yesterday.

The thing is while it is quiet here - work is being done behind the scenes.

See, THIS is the report was I was asking for a few pages back when people jumped all over my ass for asking.

Thank you, IW, for providing it anyways. It's great when you can break a long silence with a touching base update like this one.

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8814 on: August 14, 2014, 11:45:41 PM »
I know I sound like 'that guy', just the people I've talked to (Not part of the team, I will not disclose who on the public forum, only they worked on CoH) to didn't sound like the NCsoft folks were exactly trustworthy.

I highly doubt NCsoft would bother going to all the trouble with the current effort if they just wanted to shoot it down again. I'm sure they'd rather have us as potential customers, rather than the alternative.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 11:55:01 PM by Fanta »
I am an ass, but don't we all love a good ass!

Dal

• Minion
« Reply #8815 on: August 14, 2014, 11:47:11 PM »

I really hope i'm wrong.
I'm usually pessimistic like that as well. But I don't know, I have a good feeling about this. I really shouldn't be hopeful, but I guess I already am.

I don't have much hope on getting my characters/costume packs/etc back, since it's a new company and all. But it's fine, as long as CoH is back, it could actually be fun to see everyone teaming up to do beginner missions again. :P NCSoft can't have much to lose by selling it.

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #8816 on: August 15, 2014, 12:09:55 AM »
I don't have much hope on getting my characters/costume packs/etc back, since it's a new company and all. But it's fine, as long as CoH is back, it could actually be fun to see everyone teaming up to do beginner missions again. :P NCSoft can't have much to lose by selling it.

Kind of sounds like a win/win for them not to get the character data. NC does not have to deal with the risks and hassles associated with transferring account data to a 3rd party, and more income for the new company with less problems to deal with. I think the only ones who would loose in that scenario would be the players, who would be for the most part celebrating in the streets at having the game back in any way shape or form I think. I know I sure would be.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8817 on: August 15, 2014, 12:21:35 AM »

I really hope i'm wrong.

I hope you are wrong too!

Considering there are going to be games coming out with or without NCSoft it makes more sense to try and get back in the game.

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8818 on: August 15, 2014, 12:37:15 AM »
Kind of sounds like a win/win for them not to get the character data. NC does not have to deal with the risks and hassles associated with transferring account data to a 3rd party, and more income for the new company with less problems to deal with. I think the only ones who would loose in that scenario would be the players, who would be for the most part celebrating in the streets at having the game back in any way shape or form I think. I know I sure would be.

If you look at if from the perspective of the potential buyers, you're going want to push for character restoration. Sure, people will come back, but when those people who will probably never be able to recover what they had in the past, you have to think about player retention. The majority of people you're trying to sell the game to are vets. They want their stuff back. Maybe we'll get it back, maybe not. I'm guessing the new team is going to press for it.
I am an ass, but don't we all love a good ass!

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8819 on: August 15, 2014, 12:44:56 AM »
If you look at if from the perspective of the potential buyers, you're going want to push for character restoration. Sure, people will come back, but when those people who will probably never be able to recover what they had in the past, you have to think about player retention. The majority of people you're trying to sell the game to are vets. They want their stuff back. Maybe we'll get it back, maybe not. I'm guessing the new team is going to press for it.

if they cant get it back they might consider giving everyone the loyalty perks and costume packs. that way people dont have to look at buying them a second time. it will all be moot once coh2 comes out