Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7291000 times)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #580 on: April 21, 2014, 10:53:48 PM »
Let's not forget the Sentinel+ files.  If the user data is no longer available, those files contain character information that could be imported back into CoX.  People with Sentinel+ files are the kind of people you want to attract back to the game.

Scott Jackson

• Plan Z: Gameplay Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #581 on: April 21, 2014, 11:04:35 PM »
A new update - they have a meeting to speak to someone about the purchase.

May I ask for clarification, Ironwolf?  Did you mean "someone with NCSoft" or "someone with a third party who wishes to assist"?  A meeting with an NCSoft representative would indeed be an excellent step.  Either way, thank you for the updates and efforts to re-engage the wheels of progress.

Triage IV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #582 on: April 21, 2014, 11:17:42 PM »
I think I missed what the whole Sentinels+ thing is...or how it equates to "things" being saved. 

I mean, I guess I understand that it's a program or something that allows people to transfer old CoH data into another saved medium for possible future use....but, wouldn't people's original CoH files/download have whatever information they might need (as long as they didn't delete any of it...and, even in the event they did, if...err...WHEN, the game comes back, they'd be able to re-download everything again anyway)?

AND, if the player-saved data becomes part of the final deal, wouldn't everything be there anyway...so, pre-saved files really won't be needed?
Waiting for the day Paragon returns.

Dark-Eve

• Underling
« Reply #583 on: April 21, 2014, 11:22:06 PM »
A new update - they have a meeting to speak to someone about the purchase.

No other details but that alone is good news, we also have had several folks approach about willing to fund or help with either organizing or even game development. These are all passed on and I allow the team to make contact back.

Edit - An afterthought - some of the offers may be premature at this stage - obviously game development can't help until we have the game :)

So does this all mean NcSoft is talking at least about it all??

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #584 on: April 21, 2014, 11:38:40 PM »
I am giving you what I am given. Not making anything up or getting too carried away.

I am excited but I have had 3 people now offer to fund the buyout, 2 other groups offer to pool with the buyers to develop or run the game. Then they finally get a chance to meet with NCSoft and talk.

It is what it is. Now it may be a couple of weeks of quiet again or things may move faster. I am not in charge of the rollercoaster - I am along for the ride.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #585 on: April 21, 2014, 11:40:46 PM »
I think I missed what the whole Sentinel+ thing is...or how it equates to "things" being saved.
Sentinel+ was an application that saved all user-accessible character data in a file. This was far more comprehensive than the standard build exporting function of Sentinel in that almost everything about the character was saved. Badges, accomplishments, hours played, build, perks, temp powers, costumes, etcetera, etcetera... Using Sentinel+ files you can recreate a character in every detail. It also would be useful in verifying a lot of the game account details as well. IIRC it stored these files in a format designed to allow verification that the files were not altered.
i downloaded it but never actually used Sentinel+ myself. To a certain extent i almost regret it, but then i have most of my costume files saved and at the time i'd decided that if the game was restarted from scratch i would do the same. In hindsight i will really miss having my Night Widow and Traps/Dark characters if i do have to start over. They were great at collecting 'gear' and funds for new alts.  8)
So far so good. Onward and upward!

ShadowMokadara

• Lieutenant
« Reply #586 on: April 21, 2014, 11:41:29 PM »
I am giving you what I am given.

I get this, but you're on the inside. I don't think you're making anything up at all. I have my faith in you. My point was I'm unsure if you're supposed to be sharing some of this information for the safety of the deal.

The main question is if you're allowed to be sharing the information you are? If so, awesome.

Triage IV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #587 on: April 21, 2014, 11:48:32 PM »
Sentinel+ was an application that saved all user-accessible character data in a file. This was far more comprehensive than the standard build exporting function of Sentinel in that almost everything about the character was saved. Badges, accomplishments, hours played, build, perks, temp powers, costumes, etcetera, etcetera... Using Sentinel+ files you can recreate a character in every detail. It also would be useful in verifying a lot of the game account details as well. IIRC it stored these files in a format designed to allow verification that the files were not altered.
i downloaded it but never actually used Sentinel+ myself. To a certain extent i almost regret it, but then i have most of my costume files saved and at the time i'd decided that if the game was restarted from scratch i would do the same. In hindsight i will really miss having my Night Widow and Traps/Dark characters if i do have to start over. They were great at collecting 'gear' and funds for new alts.  8)

But, if (WHEN) we get the game back, and if it is "as is," with all the player information in tact, you shouldn't need any of that...right?

And, if (WHEN) the game comes back and, we DON'T get our saved data, that information in Sentinel+ will only help as far as re-creating costumes...I think...is that correct?

Just trying to understand...did I follow that right?

Scott Jackson

• Elite Boss
« Reply #588 on: April 21, 2014, 11:52:06 PM »
I think I missed what the whole Sentinels+ thing is...or how it equates to "things" being saved. 

I mean, I guess I understand that it's a program or something that allows people to transfer old CoH data into another saved medium for possible future use....but, wouldn't people's original CoH files/download have whatever information they might need (as long as they didn't delete any of it...and, even in the event they did, if...err...WHEN, the game comes back, they'd be able to re-download everything again anyway)?

AND, if the player-saved data becomes part of the final deal, wouldn't everything be there anyway...so, pre-saved files really won't be needed?

Sentinel+ allowed players to take a sort of character snapshot before the shutdown (costume, badges, powers, slots, enhancements, inventory) that could theoretically be used to recreate those characters in an emulator or in a resurrected CoH.  Its applicability to this thread only rises above zero if NCSoft does not transfer player data to the new owner and if the new owner is very friendly/accommodating to work with everyone who had Sentinel files.  It would likely require them to construct database scripts/etc to convert those files back into official character records and go through some verification process to make sure that the files are being submitted legitimately by CoH players who are the original creators of those characters.

I did use Sentinel; it created one file in xml format per character, and stamped each with a "VKEY" to ensure that modification of the file could be detected.

To answer your two newer questions:
1. Yes.
2. No.  It could help recreate a significantly larger part of character records, if the new owners are willing to work with us to do so.  It's a bit of a dilemma even then, since I don't know how fair it is to recreate characters for some (who used Sentinel) and leave others out of luck.

Thanks for the additional info, Ironwolf!

Triage IV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #589 on: April 21, 2014, 11:56:05 PM »
Sentinel+ allowed players to take a sort of character snapshot before the shutdown (costume, badges, powers, slots, enhancements, inventory) that could theoretically be used to recreate those characters in an emulator or in a resurrected CoH.  Its applicability to this thread only rises above zero if NCSoft does not transfer player data to the new owner and if the new owner is very friendly/accommodating to work with everyone who had Sentinel files.  It would likely require them to construct database scripts/etc to convert those files back into official character records and go through some verification process to make sure that the files are being submitted legitimately by CoH players who are the original creators of those characters.

I did use Sentinel; it created one file in xml format per character, and stamped each with a "VKEY" to ensure that modification of the file could be detected.

To answer your two newer questions:
1. Yes.
2. No.  It could help recreate a significantly larger part of character records, if the new owners are willing to work with us to do so.

Thanks for the additional info, Ironwolf!

Cool...thank you, Scott for your explanation.  I wish I had gotten wind of Sentinel+ at the time.  Sounds pretty neat and VERY handy.

Triage IV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #590 on: April 22, 2014, 12:00:14 AM »
I love this thread and, when we get our city back, would love a chance to team with all of you.

Thank you, heroes and heroines (oh, yeah...and villains [male and female] too).

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #591 on: April 22, 2014, 12:30:45 AM »
I do understand your caution on what I should share. Everytime someone has said keep it to yourself I have. The folks doing this are all fellow ex-players and they really do get what we all feel.

I don't want to get hopes up to be dashed but with it being us - players doing it - there is less cloak and dagger. I have posted my particulars in the thread and seriously if anyone wants to you are welcome to call me even. A spare handful do know who and what is happening but they have been asked to keep it quiet as well.

Some of the folks offering to fund it posted in this thread openly and I did send an email to the team as well to make sure they don't miss it. I don't want to hold back as much as I have as I am just a fan of the game too and honestly I feel like Bilbo in The Hobbit when you realize what adventures really are - equal parts of confusion, excitement, worry and blind panic.

I really do know how you all feel remember I got the stuff handed to me because I kept trying to find buyers. I was here just like you folks looking for a morsel to keep me going. Once I got the material - I weighed it all and started looking at the 2 companies back in 2009-2012 (NCSoft and Nexon). I spent time doing research and found Chris Chung he is a gamer - like us - he left NCSoft to start his own company and only someone who loves gaming would do that.

A couple of other people told me stories and gave me rumors. I ran them down and then out of the blue - someone asked me, those rumors you mean they aren't true about NCSoft wanting $80 million? Nope - they weren't true, some crossed wires or confusion on Texas tax law is all it was. Remember the people doing this are like you - all of you they love the game that is why they are still here and still working. One way or the other this time we will know what happens when it either goes through or fails - we will know.

I honestly hope it all works and if I hold anything back it isn't out of some sense of keeping a secret - I will let you know what I can. I said that from the start and I am a Midrealm Knight and 8 times Champion of House Ironwolf - I keep my word :)

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #592 on: April 22, 2014, 12:51:57 AM »
i shall remain hopeful.

Triage IV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #593 on: April 22, 2014, 01:35:52 AM »
Well, first thing in the morning, I'm heading down to the local hardware store and purchase all of their duct tape and wrap my head in it to keep it from 'splodin'.  Then, to the local drug store to buy out the adult diapers.

IT'S CHRISTMAS EVE NIGHT AND I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO MORNIN'!!!

/em staycalmstaycalmstaycalm.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #594 on: April 22, 2014, 01:52:33 AM »
i refuse to move beyond this level of anticipation.. I am hopeful.. but I also know how business deals can go.. Also important as NC Soft selling it.. who is buying it?? Do they have the ability to actually run the game? Will they develop a successor.. could we wind up in the same boat again with the game shutting down if its not profitable or yielding the results expected?.. many questions...

Scott Jackson

• Elite Boss
« Reply #595 on: April 22, 2014, 03:49:25 AM »
A game shutdown is always possible - the difference is that this time we (the players) and they (the IP owners/developers) will have more power to affect the outcome.  Whether it's a Plan Z project or this purchase effort, all are currently controlled by gamers who understand the pain of the first shutdown.  If it is in their power, they'll avoid it.  If things start to slip out of control, they are more likely to ask for our help to keeping it running.  If even that fails, they are more likely bring the game in for a soft landing - private servers, offline modes, quick sale to another group of players, or release what they own into the public domain.

Pearl Dragon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #596 on: April 22, 2014, 04:21:13 AM »

Thank you for your messages, and the tempered hope they bring :)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #597 on: April 22, 2014, 07:37:48 AM »

Removed a bunch of posts. If you're going to say the game will be reopened, don't make it your first post here with no links to corroborate. Your post will just be deleted as trolling. :p
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

ike

• Minion
  • palms spaghetti, knees weak arms spaghetti
« Reply #598 on: April 22, 2014, 07:38:48 AM »
No worries...I didn't take it as if you were saying anything bad or to be meant badly.  I was just agreeing.

But, now that we're talking about it, I'm renaming all my children Ironwolf.

;D

might be a bit late, but if we get our lands back by next march, thatd be one sweet 16 for me.
hat extraordinare

Flamazing Sally

• Minion
« Reply #599 on: April 22, 2014, 12:20:21 PM »
Been checking this thread for over a month now and I just get more hopeful each day.  When we can get into the City again, I will be the one jumping up & down atop Atlas.  Flamazing Sally and all her sister Sallys are ready to make the streets of Paragon City safe.  Thank you for your efforts, Ironwolf.