Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7291349 times)

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #560 on: April 21, 2014, 09:58:36 AM »
next year in paragon
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

Triage IV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #561 on: April 21, 2014, 01:56:07 PM »
I LOVE that Avatar beveri8469.

/em Hold Torch.
Waiting for the day Paragon returns.

darnstrong

• Underling
« Reply #562 on: April 21, 2014, 03:46:32 PM »
Hey All,,

I am new here.. and i came across this thread... I have been keeping an eye on current news when it comes to COH, as I was a HUGE fan. Being a retired network eng, I also gave thought to trying to buy COH and bring it back online, funding it through kickstarter or Indigogo.

But i am curious.. With City of titans in the works, and NCSoft trade marking "City of heroes 2" I am not sure there would be enough interested to bring it back online???.

Don

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #563 on: April 21, 2014, 04:47:57 PM »
Proud of your work here Ironwolf, thanks for keeping us posted. Fingers crossed!

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #564 on: April 21, 2014, 04:52:16 PM »
Darnstrong, I would think that if this group bought the IP, that would include anything with the name "City of Heroes," so NCSoft wouldn't be able to create another CoH after they sold it.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Biz

• Boss
« Reply #565 on: April 21, 2014, 05:04:17 PM »
Hey All,,

I am new here.. and i came across this thread... I have been keeping an eye on current news when it comes to COH, as I was a HUGE fan. Being a retired network eng, I also gave thought to trying to buy COH and bring it back online, funding it through kickstarter or Indigogo.

But i am curious.. With City of titans in the works, and NCSoft trade marking "City of heroes 2" I am not sure there would be enough interested to bring it back online???.

Don

Didn't NCsoft trademark CoH2 way before the shutdown? IF NCsoft had plans to make a CoH2 why would they shut down the game and risk alienating their market? I don't think they currently have plans for a CoH2, if they ever did.

Nitekilla

• Minion
« Reply #566 on: April 21, 2014, 05:31:06 PM »
That's what I'm hoping as well... I've been gaming since 1988, and I have boxes full of classic PC games, my Steam collection is somewhere around 200 PC games, several games on Origin, a Wii, a PS3, and a collection of games for those....and with ALL that gaming, I have not found ONE game that comes close to what playing a Warshade made me feel like.

I for one am keeping my fingers crossed that it is everything.

Wow, that pretty much sums up where I am at.  I have been gaming since 1988 also and with my collection spanning PS3, Steam etc.  I have to say that City of Heroes is my favorite of all time.  There is something unique and very special about that game.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #567 on: April 21, 2014, 05:37:41 PM »
Apparently way back in the day Paragon Studios did start basic work on CoH2 - so they did register CoH2.
The work stopped rather quickly and moved to other efforts. I would think the team making the current effort will keep that in mind.

I would imagine they would go in with a shopping list similar to this:

Need:
1. City of Heroes and all related IP and code base

Want:
1. User data and accounts
2. Trademark to City of Heroes 2
3. existing other work done Issue 24 and so on that might be archived

Nice to have
Anything else.

Keeping the agenda focused is key. Get the game, get a price for anything else. Not speaking for anyone but getting the game back making money would be ideal then you fund future work. I know step one get them talking and friendly or at least polite.

Triage IV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #568 on: April 21, 2014, 06:16:12 PM »
Apparently way back in the day Paragon Studios did start basic work on CoH2 - so they did register CoH2.
The work stopped rather quickly and moved to other efforts. I would think the team making the current effort will keep that in mind.

I would imagine they would go in with a shopping list similar to this:

Need:
1. City of Heroes and all related IP and code base

Want:
1. User data and accounts
2. Trademark to City of Heroes 2
3. existing other work done Issue 24 and so on that might be archived

Nice to have
Anything else.

Keeping the agenda focused is key. Get the game, get a price for anything else. Not speaking for anyone but getting the game back making money would be ideal then you fund future work. I know step one get them talking and friendly or at least polite.

That list is PERFECT.  I hope that's what they're going with.

Thank you, again, Ironwolf.

I'm also hoping the writers in the community are working on (or planning on) projects for more CoH Fiction to stock our book shelves.  What we have at the moment (the 2 novels, anthology of short stories, and comic books) could be expanded to much, MUCH more.

Triage IV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #569 on: April 21, 2014, 06:18:31 PM »
Oh, and,  I don't know if you realize, Ironwolf, but whenever I log in and see a new post with your black and white wolf head avatar, my heart skips an extra beat...

:)

darnstrong

• Underling
« Reply #570 on: April 21, 2014, 07:26:33 PM »
That list is PERFECT.  I hope that's what they're going with.

Thank you, again, Ironwolf.

I'm also hoping the writers in the community are working on (or planning on) projects for more CoH Fiction to stock our book shelves.  What we have at the moment (the 2 novels, anthology of short stories, and comic books) could be expanded to much, MUCH more.

Well, if they manage to get COH back online, i'll be one of the firsts in line to log in..

Best of luck to you :)

Don

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #571 on: April 21, 2014, 08:17:10 PM »
A new update - they have a meeting to speak to someone about the purchase.

No other details but that alone is good news, we also have had several folks approach about willing to fund or help with either organizing or even game development. These are all passed on and I allow the team to make contact back.

Edit - An afterthought - some of the offers may be premature at this stage - obviously game development can't help until we have the game :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:22:18 PM by Ironwolf »

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #572 on: April 21, 2014, 08:18:43 PM »

No other details but that alone is good news, we also have had several folks approach about willing to fund or help with either organizing or even game development. These are all passed on and I allow the team to make contact back.

AWESOME!

Thanks for the updates, Ironwolf.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #573 on: April 21, 2014, 08:21:50 PM »

That's great news, let's keep those fingers crossed!

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #574 on: April 21, 2014, 08:58:07 PM »
That is fantastic news!

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #575 on: April 21, 2014, 09:02:26 PM »
How can we cross fingers AND hold torches? :o  Isn't that dangerous?

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #576 on: April 21, 2014, 09:17:21 PM »
I see a few potential paths coming out of this, assuming it goes through. (Which would be nice.)

1. The game is restored to what it was at shutdown and existing accounts are preserved through some means. (I've got mine saved as Sentinel files!) This is, of course, the ideal. We'd all love to be able to pick up where we left off; I know I had literally dozens of characters that I wanted to level up, from Queen of the May (Nature/Water Defender) to Worst Ninja Ever (Ninja/Sonic Mastermind). This is the dream scenario, and I'd be surprised if anyone disagreed.

2. The game is restored, but NCSoft does not part with the customer data or does not have it stored. I'm okay with this. I mean, it's not as good as option one, obviously. My account dated back almost to launch, and I had all the powersets and all the shinies and over twenty Level 50 characters and Incarnate goodies. But I loved playing the game, and the chance to play it again would be enough for me. Everything I lost, I can earn back by spending time playing the game...and you know what? That's kind of something I wanted to do anyway. :) Day One would be a Street Fighting/Willpower Brute. Because SMASHY SMASHY SMASHY!

3. NCSoft sells the IP only, and the buyers make a new game with it. This is the diciest of the three propositions; I stayed with CoH when DCUO and CO launched because I liked the gameplay of CoH better than the other two games. I liked the team structure, I liked the customization options, I liked the control setup...basically, I'm really used to CoH, and anything else I play to fill that gap would have to play like CoH (or improve on its experience. I'm not saying it was flawless or anything.) I'd be willing to give "City of Heroes 2" a try, just like I'm willing to give all the successor games a try. But it doesn't earn my automatic allegiance.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #577 on: April 21, 2014, 09:29:27 PM »
4. They bring the old game back while they work to make a new version on an updated engine. From what I have heard this is the direction they would like to go.

ShadowMokadara

• Lieutenant
« Reply #578 on: April 21, 2014, 09:59:40 PM »
Ironwolf, bro, you're awesome. But I feel like you're releasing way too much information to the public. Keeping us updated on how things are going is fine, but you're starting to cross the line in what seems like is confidential information for the time being. I'm not asking you to stop informing us. I just want you to be careful so the deal isn't sealed shut. You said yourself we need to contain our excitement and to keep some information untold for the well being of the process.

BenshowSly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #579 on: April 21, 2014, 10:48:04 PM »
Ironwolf, bro, you're awesome. But I feel like you're releasing way too much information to the public. Keeping us updated on how things are going is fine, but you're starting to cross the line in what seems like is confidential information for the time being. I'm not asking you to stop informing us. I just want you to be careful so the deal isn't sealed shut. You said yourself we need to contain our excitement and to keep some information untold for the well being of the process.

It's a worry for me too each time I see you write, Ironwolf. I'm not saying news are not welcomed but I think that a lot are pouring down lately which I wonder if it is a bit of overexcitement from you or if it is really ok to give those infos.

I know some might be speculations but it can somehow look like you know something but you give it in form of speculations to not get the deal in trouble.

Anyway, be careful and please, don't give up :)